HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I wonder if Uber will be allowed to pick up and drop off passengers regardless of municipal boundaries. That would be very unfair to taxis that are restricted in that arena.
How are taxis restricted by municipal boundaries when Uber enters the market?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
How are taxis restricted by municipal boundaries when Uber enters the market?
Currently, taxis can only pick up in their 'home cities'. For example, if a taxi heads from Coquitlam to downtown Vancouver, they have to return to Coquitlam without picking up a new fare in Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 9:49 PM

A very green policy....

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
A very green policy....
Do you know if the boundary restriction is a municipal law or part of the provincial PTB?

Either way, it's ridiculous. Cabbies in Surrey would love to drive into Vancouver on a Friday night and pick up fares.

Although I have to wonder how much harder it would be to get a cab in Surrey on a Friday night, all else equal.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 10:35 PM

Fairly certain it's provincial. Whichever level of government it stems from it's an incredibly foolish policy.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Currently, taxis can only pick up in their 'home cities'. For example, if a taxi heads from Coquitlam to downtown Vancouver, they have to return to Coquitlam without picking up a new fare in Vancouver.
I thought that this had been relaxed, or at least an exemption had been introduced for Friday and Saturday nights. Am I misinformed?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
I thought that this had been relaxed, or at least an exemption had been introduced for Friday and Saturday nights. Am I misinformed?
There was some weekend taxi project back in 2013.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Passenge...012/story.html

Vancouver City Council rejected additional weekend taxis from the suburbs in 2015:

Quote:
Over one hundred Vancouver taxi drivers who descended upon city hall Thursday night got the decision they were looking for.

After a four-and-a-half hour session, listening to cab drivers and cab takers, Vancouver city councillors have decided to hold off on allowing 38 suburban taxis to provide service in Vancouver on Friday and Saturday evenings.
http://www.news1130.com/2015/10/30/s...ers-cab-waits/

Last edited by jollyburger; Mar 14, 2017 at 4:11 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
I heard that as well. It shouldn't exist on any day or at any time. It's just foolish.

Taxi licensing, if it must exist, should be handled at the Metro Vancouver level.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 5:50 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Not justifying it but the reason the rule is in place is so smaller cities don't get shafted. If all the suburban taxis were allowed to flood into downtown on the weekend. Imagine how impossible it would be to catch a taxi in say Cloverdale at 2am on a Saturday. The only solution would be to flood the market with unlimited licenses so that supply could equalize with demand.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Only in America. They can't control an American company from following local regulations but somehow their business dealings with Saudi Arabia is somehow some backward step for gender equality. If they are that backwards how can you allow any US company (Apple, Google) to have a presence there. But no, forget about human rights we have some moral war to win with Uber.

https://twitter.com/juliacarriew/sta...50371661283328
I think you need to weigh the consequences of breaking the laws in regressive/regressing countries like Saudi Arabia, or the US. In Saudi Arabia, there are death or beatings-to-within-an-inch-of-death, or deadly prisons for breaking laws. Nobody is going to drive an Uber car in Saudi Arabia unless they have connections to keep them from landing in Jail. So no women are going to drive there.

But I've yet to have a female driver when taking Uber/Lyft in the US either. Breaking a law in the US is not an automatic death sentence, so the risk of breaking laws, especially those on discrimination is little more than a slap on the wrist. So if you drive an Uber car and are so racist or sexist that you won't pick up certain passengers based on their names, that's your prerogative.

As for Taxi zoning in Metro Vancouver. Obviously this was a solution for a time before cell phones. It should have been abandoned in the 90's when everyone stated having a cell phone and thus pickups could be dispatched in both directions to get driver back to their home zone.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 10:21 PM

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 9:13 PM

Uber says B.C. is one of the last places in North America that doesn't have its ride-hailing service

For shame. I believe Vancouver is the largest North American city that does not have Uber. Dubious distinction

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 11:01 PM

I was recently in Las Vegas and used Lyft and Uber and taxis. The taxis were by far the most expensive option, and kind of annoying to deal with when we weren't on the strip. Lyft and Uber were fantastic. I'd use them here in Vancouver often if we had them.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 8:38 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Uber mapping North Vancouver streets

Put your phone away if you happen to notice vehicles emblazoned with the Uber logo around the North Shore this week – these cars aren’t for hailing.

Starting Aug. 10, Uber unleashed 25 of its mapping vehicles across Metro Vancouver.

Earlier this week, reports of the aforementioned vehicles hitting North Vancouver streets have been confirmed.

“It looks like the cars have been on the road in North Van,” stated Uber Canada spokeswoman Susie Heath in an email.

Although Heath couldn’t confirm the precise areas where the mapping vehicles have been roaming, people have reported seeing the vehicles in Lower Lonsdale, at busy intersections, and even residential neighbourhoods in North Vancouver.

According to a recent release from Uber, the ride-hailing company’s mapping program allows it to streamline its service with the most up-to-date information.

“Existing maps are a good starting point, but there are other things Uber needs to know a lot more about, like traffic patterns, building entrance locations, and precise pickup and drop-off locations,” the release reads.

Uber is a popular location-based mobile app that allows users to hire an on-demand driver who’ll pick a passenger up and drop them off at a location of their choosing. The mobile app – and the service it offers – has not yet been approved by the provincial government.

As the province takes a closer look at ride-sharing and ride-hailing services more generally, Uber is counting on the commitment of the B.C. NDP to push it through.

On Monday, B.C. Green party Leader Andrew Weaver said he planned to table legislature later this fall to help make ride-hailing a reality in the province.

Also on Monday, Transportation Minister Claire Trevena said in a statement that the province plans to take a “fair approach” as it ponders a ride-sharing solution that could be delivered by the end of the year.

Meanwhile, Uber is preparing for a future in B.C. as it continues to invest in its Metro Vancouver mapping program.

North Shore Taxi general manager Moonyem Mohammad said he doesn’t necessarily take issue with ride-hailing services if there’s a demand for them, but his hope would be they play by the rules.

“It should be under an authority and it should be under the same rules and regulations as a taxi,” he said.

Mohammad said he has seen Uber mapping vehicles parked on Lonsdale and elsewhere, but hadn’t noticed any driving around.

He added that the wishes of North Shore Taxi and the taxi industry as a whole regarding ride-hailing services, such as Uber, remain unchanged.

Namely, regulations when it comes to fare rates, driver safety and, perhaps most importantly, the safety of customers were noted as top priorities.

“A lot of discussion needs to take place prior to this ride-sharing and I hope and I pray that our provincial government and also our city municipal government listen to our concerns,” he said.

North Vancouver-Lonsdale NDP MLA Bowinn Ma said she was aware that Uber mapping vehicles had been on the roads in North Vancouver, but she hadn’t seen any herself.

Speaking as the MLA for her riding, Ma said when people in the community come to speak with her about issues affecting the community, ride-hailing or ride-sharing weren’t generally top of the list.

“Their primary concerns are affordable housing, it’s transportation in general – in particular, public transportation infrastructure, investments – and they’ve been concerned about child care,” she said. “All of those are the top three items that I’m currently working on.”

She said she wasn’t surprised that Uber was preparing for a future in B.C., but added “they should be prepared to play by the rules when the approach is released.”

“Convenience and cost effectiveness of any service is of course important to me, and I want that for our community,” she said. “But we need to make sure that we’re not achieving this off the backs of our neighbours.”
http://www.nsnews.com/news/uber-mapp...ets-1.22149579

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 11:19 AM

I use Uber in Prague regularly now and I will admit I will never use a taxi service again. It is simply so convenient and efficient. I just select my destination on Google maps, check how long it will take to get there via the various modes (walk, bike, car, transit, Uber). I decide Uber I click on it, see the price, click again and I get a driver. My pick up point is set, I see the driver and where they are on google maps along with the time it will take them to get to me. Once picked up I go to my destination and that's it, no taking out money, all from my credit card online. No fucking tips (hate tipping). My receipt then gets emailed to me.

Having said that lets not forget there are many other companies that offer the same platform, Uber is really nothing, its the concept and model that is something.
Uber, Lyft, Liftago, Sidecar, etc. all the same. Some more legal then others. For example Uber in Prague is used allot but is technically not legal if the drivers don't have taxi school. Liftago another company operating here for example requires its drivers to have taxi school and is thus legal. No doubt no one should allow Uber or any company to circumvent rules and regulations that other companies have to follow. Still though ride share services are great and Vancouver residents will benefit greatly when they become available.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 3:30 PM

I've used Uber and Lyft in various cities. Typically same pricing, service, and experience.

The one thing I prefer on Lyft is you have the option to tip the driver right in the app. Whereas Uber specifically excludes this. Seems like they are being assholes for no reason IMO. There's no pressure to tip, just nice to have the option since the fares are cheap and I know the drivers aren't getting paid much.

That said, Uber (and I assume the rest in the market) continue to bleed Billions of dollars a year. The cheap fares are not sustainable.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 7:14 PM

Really glad that this is coming to Vancouver. It's about damn time.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Fairly certain it's provincial. Whichever level of government it stems from it's an incredibly foolish policy.
I don't think this is a deliberate desire, just a side-effect of the rules.

You have to have license issued by the local municipality to pickup passengers in the municipality. The municipality limits the licenses to the point where it becomes an extremely valuable asset.

If a given taxi car had both a Vancouver and Burnaby license it would be able to pickup in both cities. It would need to invest a lot of money to buy both.

The easy way to fix it, is treat the entire lower mainland as one taxi zone. Have the municipal governments remove the limits on the number of licenses it is willing to issue.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I've used Uber and Lyft in various cities. Typically same pricing, service, and experience.

The one thing I prefer on Lyft is you have the option to tip the driver right in the app. Whereas Uber specifically excludes this. Seems like they are being assholes for no reason IMO. There's no pressure to tip, just nice to have the option since the fares are cheap and I know the drivers aren't getting paid much.

That said, Uber (and I assume the rest in the market) continue to bleed Billions of dollars a year. The cheap fares are not sustainable.
You've been able to tip in Uber since July I believe.. I had one Uber driver who wanted to watch me click on five stars in his presence

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 1:40 PM

Quote:
You've been able to tip in Uber since July I believe.. I had one Uber driver who wanted to watch me click on five stars in his presence
I have had the driver want me to rate him before I left once as well. Meanwhile they gave me 4 stars. I had him switch it to 5 and then gave him is 5. Just a older weird driver.

As for tipping I would never tip. Their tip is their rating.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure