HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 10:54 PM

I wonder what will happen when interest rates start to climb? THAT will be quite the thing to watch.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ "Handful of small cities"? Abandoning Main Street in favour of outlying new commercial strips has been the default choice in every Manitoba town I can think of with enough economic activity and growth to support it. In small towns, getting rid of the storefront grocery store in favour of a Co-op supermarket on the edge of town is a symbol of progress.

The end result is the downtowns that were pretty vibrant places until about 30 years ago now dying a slow death as the action bleeds out to the fringes... I'm thinking of Portage, Dauphin, Selkirk, Steinbach, even Brandon... just about any place with more than a couple thousand people. The sad thing is that some of dying downtowns were/are pretty awesome places with a lot of potential. A small town with a thriving downtown is going to stand out a lot more than one with a decaying mess with a bunch of big boxes out on the highway.
Brandon will pooped the bed, first with the mall on the south end and then the real idiot move of building on the flood plain by the expermental farm. I remember when Rosser, Princess and 10th St were real vibrant and happening areas. Now it seems to be pretty dead (to be fair I haven't been to Brandon for quite a few years now).

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 5:28 PM

http://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/pth75/index.html

Some information on the Pembina Border crossing works. Changing around and adding a bunch of stuff, including an interchange, possibly. wooo!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
http://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/pth75/index.html

Some information on the Pembina Border crossing works. Changing around and adding a bunch of stuff, including an interchange, possibly. wooo!
Thanks for this. Looks like the US and Canadian customs and immigration buildings will be more or less doubled with the existing portion becoming auto lanes, and the new portions being devoted to trucks with separate entrances/lanes.

But rural interchanges? What is this, the Schreyer era? Dollars to donuts they end up picking the at-grade option.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 6:29 PM

guarantee they go with the at grade option. I was looking at it and you can make 75 from Winnipeg to USA a freeway with approx 12-15 diamond/parclos. Cost approx $300M. Don't touch the road, just out the bridges up over top, tie the ramps in and you're done. Highway is going to be mostly new anyways with all the upgrades.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 6:38 PM

In reality that link to the PR near Emerson is not even particularly busy... if the province had money to throw at a diamond or two I'd sooner see it go at the junction of the highway leading to Ste. Adolphe, or the highway that leads to Morden and Winkler.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 5:06 PM

Is there anything at all happening with the TCH/Yellowhead intersection west of Portage?
If they actually started this, it would be done by now.

http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.htm...ted=2007-10-09

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 5:15 PM

No nothing happening. The flooding is to blame apparently. Spent all the money allocated on that instead of the interchange. There were a slough of announcements last summer for upgrades to all sorts of highways. But nothing on that location has come public.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 5:47 PM

Quote:
No nothing happening. The flooding is to blame apparently. Spent all the money allocated on that instead of the interchange. There were a slough of announcements last summer for upgrades to all sorts of highways. But nothing on that location has come public.
It is really sad that this project hasn't been started and completed yet. Even a simple interchange like the one built west of Regina to allow trucks to access the GTH (Global Transportation Hub) would be sufficient in this area. One loop a few directional ramps, and bridges over the rail and a few KMs north of 4-lane divided.

I mean it would at most be $50 million and Saskatchewan / Manitoba / Feds could go in on it, as a lot of the traffic that passes through this intersection benefits Saskatchewan too.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 5:59 PM

There were numerous different options, all included the rail overpass. I think they decided on some form of cloverleaf in the end. There was a trumpet option, and some parclo looked at. Who knows when it'll go ahead.

The long awaited PTH 59N/PTH 101 interchange is finally supposed to go ahead very shortly. Starting work within months from now. There's already fill piled there from last summer.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 6:08 PM

Quote:
There were numerous different options, all included the rail overpass. I think they decided on some form of cloverleaf in the end. There was a trumpet option, and some parclo looked at. Who knows when it'll go ahead.

The long awaited PTH 59N/PTH 101 interchange is finally supposed to go ahead very shortly. Starting work within months from now. There's already fill piled there from last summer.
They really should have built both by now, but I'd say that the 59/101 interchange is the most badly needed one in the province right now. The 1/16 intersection doesn't strike me as being anywhere near as busy/deficient as 59/101.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 6:20 PM
What could go wrong?

1/16 has effectively been cancelled. The money is gone and there is no funding on the horizon. 59/101 should award the Design Builder in May. Construction will likely start immediately there-after.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 8:30 PM

Quote:
They really should have built both by now, but I'd say that the 59/101 interchange is the most badly needed one in the province right now. The 1/16 intersection doesn't strike me as being anywhere near as busy/deficient as 59/101.
It is pretty sad that it takes an all province effort and years of angst to get 1 interchange built in Manitoba.

Meanwhile in Saskatchewan between now and 2018 there will be 7 built in the Regina region alone.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
It is pretty sad that it takes an all province effort and years of angst to get 1 interchange built in Manitoba.

Meanwhile in Saskatchewan between now and 2018 there will be 7 built in the Regina region alone.
No one besides you and North Regina Boy is really up in arms about it.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 8:47 PM

That one interchange is not that big of a deal to me. It's in the middle of nowhere, but is at the junction of the two major highways. So is on the list somewhere. There's huge plans to upgrade the Perimeter with interchanges, supposedly starting within the next year or so. Two bypasses planned off the Perimeter. Among others. MIT is getting a lot better, it's just the funding part. And since the PST was raised and everyone made a big stink. That $275M per year is supposed to go solely to major infrastructure. Be it highways, flood protection, or other civil items.

All pending the next election of course. Of course everyone has their own ideas on where the money should be spent.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I'm from Manitoba. I have gone through that interchange more times than I care to remember and I wish that Manitoba would get off its ass and correct that bit of stupidity sooner than later.
I am sure the people who live in that area and the ones who travel that section every day would love to see some action to rectify the problem.

Another problem area is the intersection of 16 and 10 at Minnedosa. That one has scene some horrific crashes there as well.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 10:08 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Don't make light of this.

I came across an accident scene at the road toward Altona off 75. A fully loaded tandem dump truck t-boned a mini van driven by a young boy. When I arrived the truck driver was still running back to the scene and the boy in the van was a mess. He was unconscious, bleeding from the head and from a compound leg fracture. His leg was destroyed.

The truck driver was falling apart. I spoke to him as someone else was tending to the boy.

Two lives were ruined that day. All because there should have been an interchange there.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post

Actually, there will be 15 interchanges built in the vicinity of Regina, LOL!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Actually, there will be 15 interchanges built in the vicinity of Regina, LOL!
Sounds like a waste of money.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a waste of money.
It's either that, or a waste of potential lives.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan