HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 8:17 PM

The whole concept is fascinating. So is this supposed to be filled with B2B-focused tenants? That was the impression I had from the original Dundurn proposal.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The whole concept is fascinating. So is this supposed to be filled with B2B-focused tenants? That was the impression I had from the original Dundurn proposal.
I believe it also has a immigrant investor program element.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I believe it also has a immigrant investor program element.
LOL. yeah. just a tiny immigrant investor element. teeny, tiny. *totally* not the GTEC (and Dundurn) projects' raison d'etre. not. at. all.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 7:57 PM

Drone video of phase 1

https://youtu.be/4OJ3c-9W2dY

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 1:02 AM

I finally got the opportunity to go out this past weekend to take one of my kids to Boomers Air Park in Emerald Park for his friend's birthday party. There is a pretty tall rise on the new eastbound overpass at the new Bypass along the No. 1 going out! Exiting to Emerald Park/White City vicinity is pretty much the same as before and straight forward.

Traffic on the way back to Regina is routed west (quite a distance!) on the south side service road to the Pilot Butte overpass going north across the No. 1, and then west again on the north side service road (another long stretch!) before merging with the westbound No. 1. Question: Is that just a temporary route? Will they shorten it with a proper system of on/off ramps when the project is complete?

I also felt compelled to try the exit onto the new portion of the East Bypass toward Arcola Ave. Although max speed is currently set at 80 kmph, this portion provides a really nice, smooth ride! Another Question: Is there an exit from south-east bound Arcola Ave. to the Bypass going north toward No. 1? I was not looking for it when I was driving back into Regina.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruff Bucket View Post
I finally got the opportunity to go out this past weekend to take one of my kids to Boomers Air Park in Emerald Park for his friend's birthday party. There is a pretty tall rise on the new eastbound overpass at the new Bypass along the No. 1 going out! Exiting to Emerald Park/White City vicinity is pretty much the same as before and straight forward.

Traffic on the way back to Regina is routed west (quite a distance!) on the south side service road to the Pilot Butte overpass going north across the No. 1, and then west again on the north side service road (another long stretch!) before merging with the westbound No. 1. Question: Is that just a temporary route? Will they shorten it with a proper system of on/off ramps when the project is complete?

I also felt compelled to try the exit onto the new portion of the East Bypass toward Arcola Ave. Although max speed is currently set at 80 kmph, this portion provides a really nice, smooth ride! Another Question: Is there an exit from south-east bound Arcola Ave. to the Bypass going north toward No. 1? I was not looking for it when I was driving back into Regina.
There is still a fair bit of temporary access around PB and EP. The PB overpass is still lacking some ramps and they have not instituted the diverging diamond. It is really just a temporary flyover for now. Eventually if you want to make a left had turn you will need to use either PB interchange or Whit City (HWY 46), In between there are some right hand turns only.

Arcola has a left hand turn on to the Bypass/#1 East.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 3:22 PM

The Arcola interchange is just a copy of the Arcola/Ring Road interchange. It is extremely Mickey Mouse. It is the inverse however as through traffic on the Bypass flies-over and signalled traffic goes under.

In fact the interchange is much worse than the Ring Road interchange as there are no merge/acceleration lanes for right turns. One must turn into the main highway driving lane!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
The Arcola interchange is just a copy of the Arcola/Ring Road interchange. It is extremely Mickey Mouse. It is the inverse however as through traffic on the Bypass flies-over and signalled traffic goes under.

In fact the interchange is much worse than the Ring Road interchange as there are no merge/acceleration lanes for right turns. One must turn into the main highway driving lane!
Ugh. Wonder why they didn't go with the Parlco (as they are using at Hwy 6) - these are used all over the 400-series in Ontario (which makes sense - MTO invented the design) & work just fine.

When I look at the Bypass website, it almost feels like they were trying to give every interchange type a try. Very little repetition.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Ugh. Wonder why they didn't go with the Parlco (as they are using at Hwy 6) - these are used all over the 400-series in Ontario (which makes sense - MTO invented the design) & work just fine.

When I look at the Bypass website, it almost feels like they were trying to give every interchange type a try. Very little repetition.

This is about as cheap and unsafe as you can get. There will be many accidents here. Also they will need stop signs for right hand turns, which is a joke.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 6:30 PM

Quote:
This is about as cheap and unsafe as you can get. There will be many accidents here. Also they will need stop signs for right hand turns, which is a joke.
You mean they might need Yield signs, right? Ring Road southbound exiting onto Arcola has no Yield/Stop - it's a merge lane. Same story with Ring Road Northbound onto Victoria - no Yield/Stop... it's a merge. Winnipeg and McDonald at RR are Yield in all right-hand cases.

There isn't enough detail on the Bypass site for me to determine if there will be merge lanes. Do you have a better schematic/drawing?

(remember - the Stop signs on the south side of Arcola at Ring Road wouldn't be necessary if not for the Bike lane. Granted, given the lack of a merge lane going east on Arcola, there'd definitely be a Yield)

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
You mean they might need Yield signs, right? Ring Road southbound exiting onto Arcola has no Yield/Stop - it's a merge lane. Same story with Ring Road Northbound onto Victoria - no Yield/Stop... it's a merge. Winnipeg and McDonald at RR are Yield in all right-hand cases.

There isn't enough detail on the Bypass site for me to determine if there will be merge lanes. Do you have a better schematic/drawing?

(remember - the Stop signs on the south side of Arcola at Ring Road wouldn't be necessary if not for the Bike lane. Granted, given the lack of a merge lane going east on Arcola, there'd definitely be a Yield)
Those other locations at least have a little bit of a merging lane. The bypass on Arcola has nothing at all and is virtually a 90° turn. Also you're talking about coming off 110 KPH Freeway on to what is basically a highway not a city street.

The render below shows a merging lane which was never built. The green areas are newly constructed embankments. There is no new embankment and there is no room to construct one. I have driven this several times and have noted that there are brand-new light standards and signs that would preclude putting in a merging lane.

You can just barely see the as-built intersection at about 5:52 of this drone video. As you can see it looks nothing like the render.

Last edited by Stormer; Nov 16, 2017 at 8:38 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Those other locations at least have a little bit of a merging lane. The bypass on Arcola has nothing at all and is virtually a 90° turn. Also you're talking about coming off 110 KpH Freeway on to what is basically a highway not a city street.

The render below shows a merging lane which was never built. The green areas are newly constructed embankments. There is no new embankment and there is no room to construct one. I have driven this several times and have noted that there are brand-new light standards and signs that would preclude patting a merging lane.

You can just barely see the as-built intersection at about 5:52 of this drone video. As you can see it looks nothing like the render.

Thanks for the (disappointing) info - I haven't been out that way yet, so haven't had a chance to take a first-hand look at it.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 4:16 AM

One of the reasons that there is no acceleration lane is that they plan to have Tower road rebuilt and have a service road just to the west of the Bypass that will go to the new Aurora development where the new costco is being built.

I expect lights will be installed soon.

However I agree it is a bad design and a diverging diamond should have been built. BUT at least that is an easier upgrade later if they find traffic volumes warrant it...which it likely will. And while they are at it a few other intersections could be upgraded that way.

It is interesting that they have all but one (the SPUI) for service interchanges along the route.

Diamond
Round-a-Bout
Diverging Diamond
Parclo
Ramps exiting only one way

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
It is interesting that they have all but one (the SPUI) for service interchanges along the route.

Diamond
Round-a-Bout
Diverging Diamond
Parclo
Ramps exiting only one way
We are definitely a test lab!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 6:04 PM

Quote:
We are definitely a test lab!
I'm not sure a 2 billion dollar project should be used as a test lab like this. It sounds as if the Arcola interchange will be a big cluster****.

The Dewdney Ave. interchange is also poorly designed but that may be to lessen traffic entering the city on that road.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
I'm not sure a 2 billion dollar project should be used as a test lab like this. It sounds as if the Arcola interchange will be a big cluster****.

The Dewdney Ave. interchange is also poorly designed but that may be to lessen traffic entering the city on that road.
I would say Dewdney is fine. It at least is capable of adding SB ramps with the space and bridge width at Rotary Ave. Hill Ave interchange will be the primary access for that end of the city. At least as services go for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
I would say Dewdney is fine. It at least is capable of adding SB ramps with the space and bridge width at Rotary Ave. Hill Ave interchange will be the primary access for that end of the city. At least as services go for the foreseeable future.
Every one of the 11 interchanges is different. Here are Hill and Dewdney.

Edit: Actually Hill no longer looks this way.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 9:40 PM

They say they will add ramps to these interchanges later on when needed...but just wait until another Home Depot comes along and demands the land instead, like with Vic/Ring Rd. The city will cave.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks Stormer for using the image I created...back in 2011-12

If you want a good look at what they Bypass actual design is look here.
http://saskbuilds.ca/projects/Regina...20Version).pdf

There are minor discrepancies but for the most part about 97% accurate.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 12:58 AM

Quote:

Pinkie at #1 highway no longer looks like that either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan