HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Just to clarify I think the whole project is great, but to me the lights look bad. Looking at the renders, they don't appear there - and it looks like it was planned to be finished just as the south corner already is, with the black strips everywhere. I will hold off until the rest is finished, but it looks like that's likely going to be the final treatment. Really hope I'm wrong though!

With the Richardson upgrades, new lighting on BMO, 360/300 Main (re)development, upgrades to RBC and BellMTS Tower (?) lighting... I wonder if this was part of the conversations the city had with the owners. Like "hey we'll invest and upgrade P&M and work with you, you should fix up the buildings too." Or I wonder if it's just a matter of one doing it (RBC), it looks amazing, and now the rest want to follow suit. I wonder if after the 201 Portage concourse upgrades are done, if they'll do any work outside. The building is approaching 30 years old.
More coincidence / these buildings all needed updating I think. Way back Glen Murray / City Council created a program where they offered to match $ if they added cool new lighting and in true Winnipeg fashion, all but one of the owners were too cheap to do it. Richardsons were the only ones who did hence those LED's at the base. Too bad they didn't invest in lighting more of the building.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
why are some of the window panels black?.. looks like they ran out of materials or just suddenly changed there mind then went all blue glass.
Design... the black panels are in between floors, and were used to create visual variance. Some like it, some don't. I personally love it, but I think it's odd that it's not an obvious intention to do so. The building was never going to be more than a complete, straight re-clad, so they tried to add a subtle something extra.

If it was supposed to be only one colour throughout, my preference was black rather than lighter blue. Currently, the unfinished silver pieces and corners throw things off a little.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 10:13 PM

New HVAC exhaust location installed at main and graham on top of the little plaza area. Would seem to be for the food court. So you folks weren't lying. There is stuff happening lol

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
New HVAC exhaust location installed at main and graham on top of the little plaza area. Would seem to be for the food court. So you folks weren't lying. There is stuff happening lol
Saw that!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 6:03 AM

Should be anytime now that we start to see some exterior work on 300 Main, yes?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 4:37 PM

Likely - I'd guess they may want to get 360 done first, at least the tower portion.

Anyone heard if the Scotiabank portion is going to try and match the reclad, or if they're going to make it look completely different since it's different owners? Still baffles me how that happened lol.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 6:53 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Likely - I'd guess they may want to get 360 done first, at least the tower portion.

Anyone heard if the Scotiabank portion is going to try and match the reclad, or if they're going to make it look completely different since it's different owners? Still baffles me how that happened lol.
Right?

Their reclad was done a couple years prior too if I recall, and this was all before Artis REIT said "Yeah, we're gonna reclad too, but with a completely new look!" All while the Scotiabank building management went "sunuva..."

At least they're moving out of there next summer.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 11:43 AM
BANNED

Rumour has it TD is moving out of 201 Portage and into 360 Main.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 1:52 PM

Wet never gonna happen dream on Scotia building's future - Something like Cheesecake Factory moves in, occupying the window seats at P&M with the barricades down. It's a larger than looks building so there is still office space potential behind the restaurant. Then The Keg moves in on the 201 Atrium.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:05 PM

Scotiabank isn't leaving their location at 360 Main - all the frontline services are staying. It's the offices in the tower that are moving to TNS. I could however definitely see TD wanting to get out of the basement. They're the only of the 5 banks at P&M that don't have direct street access/ATMs.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Scotiabank isn't leaving their location at 360 Main - all the frontline services are staying. It's the offices in the tower that are moving to TNS. I could however definitely see TD wanting to get out of the basement. They're the only of the 5 banks at P&M that don't have direct street access/ATMs.
It's peculiar that TD was always fully in the basement in their building while the main floor P&M space at 201 Portage has been vacant for the entire period of almost 30 years that the building has been standing.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's peculiar that TD was always fully in the basement in their building while the main floor P&M space at 201 Portage has been vacant for the entire period of almost 30 years that the building has been standing.
Been pointed out many times that the "vacant" space is actually phone lines, data centres, etc that will cost a fortune to move.

Was there something in the Starbucks space before it moved in though?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Been pointed out many times that the "vacant" space is actually phone lines, data centres, etc that will cost a fortune to move.

On the left side of this photo you can see the shell of the CN Telegraph building that contains all of the lines that you mention. The TD Tower was built around this shell.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 5:51 PM
BANNED

If the rumours are correct, whatever offices TD has in the tower (4th floor?) are moving over to space vacated by Scotiabank after it leaves for TNS. The branch is probably staying put, I would think.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 6:00 PM

That corner was so beautiful before it was demolished

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
On the left side of this photo you can see the shell of the CN Telegraph building that contains all of the lines that you mention. The TD Tower was built around this shell.

Part of that building on the right stayed as well. I clearly remember the new building engulfing it as the construction progressed. I worked right down the street at the time. They tore down Mr. Submarine for this build. Really pissed me off at the time. Haha.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Part of that building on the right stayed as well. I clearly remember the new building engulfing it as the construction progressed. I worked right down the street at the time. They tore down Mr. Submarine for this build. Really pissed me off at the time. Haha.
Yes, the building on the right side of the photo is the old CNCP Telegraph office that had all the unmovable communication lines. The building on the left was the old TD main branch.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:

There is a space between Starbucks and the old building you pointed out that is actually vacant. You can see it clearly if you walk through the covered walkway that wraps around the building. To my recollection it was open to the public once, to show the submissions to a P&M design contest that Glen Murray spearheaded in the early 2000s. It's probably too small for a full-on bank, but it's the kind of space that I can't believe is still empty.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
On the Main Floor of the TD Bank building is a major hub for one of the internet lines crossing Canada. It was part of the 360Networks route before that company went broke and sold it assets.

It was located where IBM had their service department offices when IBM was a tenant in the building as it had to be next to the then Unitel (CN-CP tel) building as depicted in your picture.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Yes, the building on the right side of the photo is the old CNCP Telegraph office that had all the unmovable communication lines. The building on the left was the old TD main branch.
I had a summer job in that building. saw bobby hull signing through the window.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan