HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 7:11 AM
Hicksville Perspective

There are plenty of eyesores in Edmonton and there are plenty of eyesores in most other Canadian cities ... but, to address a couple of major eyesores in Edmonton specifically I offer the following -

For me perhaps the biggest improvement/revitalization Edmonton could make would be to conduct a serious and massive beautification of it's freeways/parkways starting with the Yellowhead. The Edmonton portion of the Yellowhead is the ugliest urban freeway I've seen in Canada - virtually the entire section of the Yellowhead through Edmonton is lined on both sides by industrial sites, warehouses, railway yards etc ... the entire length could be vastly improved by installing grass berms where possible plus trees and shrubs etc over its entire length. Gateway Blvd - North is nearly as bad ... on the other hand the Whitemud looks fine for the most part and Wayne Gretzky Blvd up to 118 Ave is attractive too.

Another boot in the arse Edmonton needs is to improve its architecture via making the use of brick and/or raw concrete facades on any new towers illegal ... the downtown core, government centre and Oliver areas are over run with crappy, dated towers which are mostly brick and/or raw concrete facades ... so, being redundant, stop it already no more of this type of crap for Edmonton ... as an aside Edmonton's starting to get it right with projects such as the Icon ...

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 9:34 PM

First Impressions

Once thing that we need to address is lighting from airport to the city,
i know this has been brougt up in other forums / discussions

Not only will this improve safety for drivers but also the negative impression that edmonton is still another 20 minutes away, and driving to the city in complete darkness

I am seriously surprised that this issue has never been dealt with in the 40 years the airport has been used.

What would the costs be associated with this project? Would it not be a shared cost?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 12:15 AM
Still optimistic

Oh, Edmonton dosn't really need to work on it's face...
Anything more would be plastic surgery!

I loved edmonton! a real big-city feel!
I was charmed by the transit, parks, government buildings and Jasper Ave.!

Calgary on the other hand...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 3:46 AM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4unot2no View Post

Not only will this improve safety for drivers but also the negative impression that edmonton is still another 20 minutes away, and driving to the city in complete darkness

I am seriously surprised that this issue has never been dealt with in the 40 years the airport has been used.

What would the costs be associated with this project? Would it not be a shared cost?
Who wants to push this at the civic level? It's a serious matter.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 5:32 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4unot2no View Post

This is nearly impossible to accomplish given the current fractured state of municipalities in the region. Who pays? Who maintains? Who benefits?

Now that we are on the verge of a regional governance board however ...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 2:22 PM
arf

I'd hope they'd improve the interchange leaving the airport and connecting North to Edmonnton. that partial cloverleaf doesn't give enough time for slowpokes to even get close to up to speed prior to attempting to merge with traffic that is going 125km/h for the most part. That would improve safety more than lights.

And almost nothing aggravates me more than being behind someone not getting up to merge speed.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 6:07 PM

Are there not plans in the works, for a second turnoff to the airport that will connect to highway 2.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 6:23 PM
Community Guy

^long term plans...long term

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 6:28 PM

How long term

Heck, if they are planning on spending 1 billion to make a new terminal, new hotel at the airport, new parkade at the airport, develop the land around the aiprort for Commercial Use
I would hope they plan a second turn off Accordingly as well

Not something 10 - 15 years down the road

Just my 2 cents

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton