HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
What's more likely to happen?

The Jazz win a NBA title
BYU beats Utah in football
Salt Lake breaks ground on the CCH?
LOL. "It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future" -Yogi Berra

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 7:42 PM

Net zero energy & affordable apartments open up

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...expensive.htmll

This is done by GIV group who is also doing the big project near the Library.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 7:46 PM

Nice. Doesn't this project have a phase 2 as well?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Nice. Doesn't this project have a phase 2 as well?
I think there are plans for multiple phases if they can work it all out. I think Isaac had written that they were wanting to start the the next phase soon.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 2:10 AM

Not a list that Salt Lake wants to be on...

Least livable: 50 worst US cities to reside in
One factor detracting from quality of life in Salt Lake City is the area's high violent crime rate. Some 937 violent crimes were reported in 2016 per 100,000 city residents, more than twice the national violent crime rate of 386 incidents per 100,000 Americans and nearly four times the state rate of 243 per 100,000 Utah residents. Housing prices in Salt Lake City also have been rising fast in recent years and have outpaced the area's income growth, making housing unaffordable for many low-income residents.

Despite the high violent crime rate, Salt Lake City has experienced substantial economic growth in the last several years. The number of jobs in the city rose 5.1% from 2014 to 2016, a faster pace than the nation as a whole

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 2:13 AM
Traffic Engineer (EIT)

I can't help but think the skyrocketing rent prices have also hurt us.

About 5 years ago, the Denver forumers were complaining about prices shooting up. I guess it has finally caught up with us here.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 10:12 AM

High violent crime rates? Excuse me, what?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
High violent crime rates? Excuse me, what?
Back three years ago when I was doing site selection for a major company, the high crime rate was the biggest hit against SLC's profile. We have a lot of crime for a metro of our size.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:00 PM

I am surprised that the high violent crime rates have not become a political issue. This seems like something that should be studied to determine factors driving it. Now that Rio Grande is much improved and is being policed effectively, I would expect that stat to come down a lot and then we can get a clearer picture of the other factors driving the violence.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 6:02 PM
Chancellor

I can't help but rant about this again. Comparing cities using city proper per capita/population statistics is almost always inaccurate and a mistake (which is exactly what the least livable cities ranking does). Salt Lake topped the list of most hipster cities for the same reason: the city proper population very poorly reflects the population the city serves. Crime rates almost always increase the closer you get to downtown. Look at crime rate maps for almost any city and this is true. For cities whose boundaries extend well outside downtown and into the distant suburbs (such as Austin), city proper per capita statistics will be heavily skewed toward what is more typical in the suburbs. For cities where the opposite is true and city boundaries don’t extend far beyond the its center (such as Salt Lake) the statistics will be skewed toward what’s typical in the urban center.

On top of that, crime rate comparisons are not very accurate. These statistics are compiled by the FBI every year, but they rely on reporting from local agencies throughout the country, which all differ as to how and when crimes are reported. There is no federal requirement for how and when crimes are reported, other than murder. As a result, the murder rate is really the only reliable statistic. The statistics can be useful and tell a story, but not the whole story and often not a huge chunk of it.

That being said, if anyone was curious, here’s some rankings (per capita) of Salt Lake as a metro compared to others.

Of the 50 most populous metros in 2016, Salt Lake ranked:
  1. 26th in violent crime:
  • 37th in murder
  • 2nd in rape
  • 34th in robbery,
  • 24th in aggravated assault
Of the 100 most populous metros in 2016 Salt Lake ranked:
  1. 44th in violent crime:
  • 64th in murder
  • 5th in rape
  • 48th in robbery
  • 52nd in aggravated assault
Interestingly, Provo ranks 100th and Ogden ranks 98th (the 1st and 3rd lowest violent crime rate, respectively).

So Salt Lake, when it comes to violent crime, is very middle of the road. The rape number is concerning, but rape is the crime that tends to vary the most in how it is defined and when it is reported, so I’m not sure how much we can rely on the number for comparison. Take San Juan, Puerto Rico, for example. It has by far the highest rate of murder of the top 50 metro areas, yet it has the lowest rate, by far, of rape (San Juan reports a rate of 4.9 per 100,000, New York has the second lowest at 19.6 per 100,000). There is a difference in reporting there. No way San Juan would be so low if all reporting was equal. And while the differences in reporting might not be as stark between agencies on the mainland, San Juan proves they exist.

Now, where Salt Lake really shines is property crime. Of the top 50 metros, it has the 2nd highest rate of property crime. And I don’t think reporting is the issue here.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...tables/table-4

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 12:25 AM

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCLvr View Post
Back three years ago when I was doing site selection for a major company, the high crime rate was the biggest hit against SLC's profile. We have a lot of crime for a metro of our size.
The discrepancy, I would bet, is in the way they are looking at the numbers/borders/population. Salt Lake is plenty safe... it's kinda like a gerrymandered map if you ask me and I think most people realize this. The people making these reports and stats need to make some adjustments.

Garbage in = garbage out

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 4:09 AM

Ohhhh... airhero made the point better. I didn't think people put so much stock in these "studies" if you will

Thanks airhero

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 5:58 AM
They all float down here

Salt Lake has always had a pretty high crime rate compared to the national averages. It's not at the level it was in the early 90s, when SLC was deemed one of the 25 dangerous cities in America ... but it routinely makes the list for 'most dangerous'.

I think there are multiple reasons for this.

1) Salt Lake City is still a very segregated city - probably more than most western cities. Here's a map that really drives home that point:

Because of the larger minority population on the west side, which also happens to reside in the most poverty-stricken area of the city, violent crime is an issue.

2. Salt Lake's demographics, especially over the last three decades, have skewed more toward the type who join gangs. SLC has a very active gang scene and it's been that way since the late 80s. Much of this is because of the Polynesia influence in the area. The Tongan Crip Gang (TCG) is probably one of the largest, and most influential, gangs in the valley. That doesn't even get into the other gangs like the Bloods, Nortenos, Surenos, the TOP, LBC, Big Dick Gang, QVO and GlenMob (a growing gang in the Glendale neighborhood of the city) - you can see one of their music videos here:

Video Link

3. People don't expect it. Because they don't expect it - not much has been done to stop it. I think we live in a state of denial here. The homicide rate in Salt Lake is higher than it is in Denver and New York. It's the same with WVC. But we kinda just shrug at that because it doesn't fit the narrative.

Is Salt Lake some hole unsafe to those who dare enter its limits? Of course not. Salt Lake is still a relatively safe city. But there's a much ignored underbelly to the city that has existed for decades and no one seems to really care enough to do anything about it.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 7:19 AM

I could see both sides of this...

I saw a list a few weeks back that ranked SLC as the safest city in America and one of the safest in the world. (I'm not sure what criteria they used.)

It could be that, as Airhero suggested, Salt Lake city's boundaries skew us unfavorably. That makes sense when you compare us to a city like Phoenix where the city limits extend miles beyond the urban core of the city (If you can say that Phoenix has one.)

However, I believe, based on my own experience, that property crime is a bigger issue in this city than many are aware of or willing to admit.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 1:36 PM

Nice find Comrade. Those guys are actually pretty talented. I have lived in two of the rougher cites of Utah, Rosepark and Ogden. No doubt there are plenty of bad actors in these neighborhoods but if you don't run with the wrong crowd you are pretty much good. If you get mixed up with the wrong people, that's a different story. However the most danger I have perceived is when I am out of state. Granted, my perception of danger is just that, my perception. But we have some rough neighborhoods that are skewing the overall picture. I think airhero's take is pretty accurate.

Side note. When I lived in rose park I had 2 break-ins and one vehicle break-in. Perhaps the more surprising area that has a lot of break-ins are the neighborhoods surrounding Liberty Park. That area sees a lot of crime which kinda surprised me.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 2:35 PM
of SLC

The rhyme schemes are weak and the content of that rap was trash.

They can glorify violence and hate all they want. I'm not listening. There's nothing cool about that. I don't care where they come from.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 3:17 PM
BANNED

Whatever happened to the likes of T-mac, Tony Anderson, SLC Projects, Future Mayor, etc.?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
I forget, will that street be open to vehicles, or just pedestrians?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
I really like this project and I like the developer and his goals. The midblock passages are awesome. Parking underneath with a lift is also great.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West