HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 6:47 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Speaking of critics, it's another nail in the coffin for them!

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...146445605.html

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 6:54 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Now they're talking about Saskatoon being an NHL city.
Not really. Just a bunch of crazies on the Internet.

Saskatoon would have to triple its population before the NHL will find its way there.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 9:29 PM
ABOVE people like you

Show me the Money

So my beloved jets first season back comes to a close. Chipman says he thinks they are at about number 15 in terms of league revenue just over the revenue sharing line.
That's good and bad....the bad being it was probably the best year the jets could possibly have financially as everyone has bought their jets jersey by now and the barn is full every night.
So based on the model, arena size, etc. are we saying Winnipeg will remain a middle of the pack team financially, is there a way to increase that placing? if so how?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Not really. Just a bunch of crazies on the Internet.

Saskatoon would have to triple its population before the NHL will find its way there.
My point is they're talking about it.

Last year people were still debating Winnipeg as an NHL city and the feasibility (too small, too small, too small); now Saskatoon which is 3x smaller is being mentioned.

Its entirely (and actually) currently unrealistic, but its funny how the goal posts have been moved just because of Winnipeg's success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Crane View Post
So my beloved jets first season back comes to a close. Chipman says he thinks they are at about number 15 in terms of league revenue just over the revenue sharing line.
That's good and bad....the bad being it was probably the best year the jets could possibly have financially as everyone has bought their jets jersey by now and the barn is full every night.
So based on the model, arena size, etc. are we saying Winnipeg will remain a middle of the pack team financially, is there a way to increase that placing? if so how?
No need to increase seats....

why would they do that? What is the financial sense in it?

And when discussing long term stability, ask that question in 2-4 more years when the first season ticket renewal options come. Never mind the 8000 people waiting on that list.

Right now the MTS Centre is sold out for the next 4 years. That means the Jets are guaranteed revenue for that amount of time; finances aren't even close to an issue for them.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 7:58 PM
ABOVE people like you

What's the Model built for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
My point is they're talking about it.

Last year people were still debating Winnipeg as an NHL city and the feasibility (too small, too small, too small); now Saskatoon which is 3x smaller is being mentioned.

Its entirely (and actually) currently unrealistic, but its funny how the goal posts have been moved just because of Winnipeg's success.

No need to increase seats....

why would they do that? What is the financial sense in it?

And when discussing long term stability, ask that question in 2-4 more years when the first season ticket renewal options come. Never mind the 8000 people waiting on that list.

Right now the MTS Centre is sold out for the next 4 years. That means the Jets are guaranteed revenue for that amount of time; finances aren't even close to an issue for them.
I don't know if keeping 8000 people on the line or hook benefits the team at all, if demand was that high then you need to capitalize on it and the arena should have been 18,000 and you would have still had a waiting list "demand" but you would be benefiting from it financially.
Anyway, right know Winnipeg is taking the smallest arena and smallest market and doing a great job in leveraging that to about the 15th position which is obviously the best that model can do.
I'll I am saying is that general middle of the road revenues equal middle of the road type expenditures which equals middle of the road type teams to come so I was wondering if this model could produce something more than middle of the pack.....if it can't maybe it's a model that can produce just that and nothing more.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 9:45 PM

Quote:
I don't know if keeping 8000 people on the line or hook benefits the team at all, if demand was that high then you need to capitalize on it and the arena should have been 18,000 and you would have still had a waiting list "demand" but you would be benefiting from it financially.
Just FYI - You have to pay each year to remain on the waiting list.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 3:51 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
I don't know if keeping 8000 people on the line or hook benefits the team at all
They do get other perks for being in the 8000. It's a nice buffer for the team to have. It's not a lot of extra cash for True North though.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 3:34 PM
ABOVE people like you

Popcorn,Peanuts,Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Just FYI - You have to pay each year to remain on the waiting list.
Bums in the seats buying popcorn, peanuts, and beers is what you want not collecting a small waiting list fee. I don't know it sounds to me like you are missing out on all the revenue from at least half of these people which tells me the model has a flaw it's just that no one will ever acknowledge the fact that they built the arena too small.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Bums in the seats buying popcorn, peanuts, and beers is what you want not collecting a small waiting list fee. I don't know it sounds to me like you are missing out on all the revenue from at least half of these people which tells me the model has a flaw it's just that no one will ever acknowledge the fact that they built the arena too small.
The ROI on those last 3-5K seats is the lowest. Lowest seats prices and highest construction costs.

Obviously I don't know the exact numbers, but who knows how long it takes to pay off the extra construction to make those extra seats start to profit. I'm guessing it could be a long time - pretty sure that's been the idea most of the time this comes up on here.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 12:34 AM
ABOVE people like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
The ROI on those last 3-5K seats is the lowest. Lowest seats prices and highest construction costs.

Obviously I don't know the exact numbers, but who knows how long it takes to pay off the extra construction to make those extra seats start to profit. I'm guessing it could be a long time - pretty sure that's been the idea most of the time this comes up on here.
You build these extra seats into the lower bowl and charge premium prices not build more cheap seats. This is how all new arenas are doing it.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:07 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

I do wish the MTS Centre was at 16K. The footprint probably didn't allow it, and they'll do fine at 15K, but hopefully the city will grow enough that maybe 20-25 years down the line they'll need to build a new arena somewhere. That said, the current arena has years of life ahead of it even if another newer arena is eventually built for the Jets. It's perfect for concerts and will be for a long time to come.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 2:40 PM

This is probably an extremely difficult thing to gauge, but I'd love to know how much net economic benefit the return of the Jets has had to the city and the Province.

Granted people are probably spending less on other things to pay for their restaurant meals / drinks / tickets, etc. But I really wonder how much more of Winnipegger's money stayed in Winnipeg this NHL season, rather than being spent in sunshine destinations like Florida... Phoenix... etc. I would expect that SOME significant percentage of people's disposable income that would normally be spent outside of the city / Province during winter stayed within our local economy. I guess one metric would be to find out if people are ditching / shortening winter-time getaways to stay / pay for their jets games.

All in all, despite any tax breaks, subsidies, preferred loan rates, etc. that True North may be getting (some bozo though they got 170M of goverment money on the WFP comments), I think the net benefit to the local and provincial economy far exceeds them. Besides much of those breaks are on revenues that would not have been there otherwise.

I am really looking forward to see how many more new restaurants, hotels, etc. open up in the coming years... future renos to the MTS Centre (minor or major), as well as team success and city sports pride.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 2:53 PM

Quote:
You build these extra seats into the lower bowl and charge premium prices not build more cheap seats. This is how all new arenas are doing it.
Where do you build them, there's just not enough room down there to add hundreds of seats. Besides, 15 000 is plenty, we don't really need that many more anyways

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 5:24 PM

Anyone catch this ridiculous article in the Globe yesterday??? Hahaha - random fan meets Noel at Stella's, and then claims the coach asked him for help motivating specific players, claims that Noel said Burmi should have been in the minors, etc... The best part - the Globe runs with it, and prints it as a story! Amazing! It's not even April Fool's!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2402393/

Quote:
Noel asked Duboff if he knew “how to motivate [forward Nik] Antropov so that he plays with passion more than just a few games.”
Quote:
he told me that he really gave it to [forward Alexander] Burmistrov and that he really has to pick his game up next season
Quote:
The GST line [Tanner Glass, Jim Slater and Chris Thorburn] should be a fourth line, not third
Quote:
Forward “Jason Jaffray [also with the St. John's Ice Caps] is too slow for the NHL

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 9:01 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Anyone catch this ridiculous article in the Globe yesterday??? Hahaha - random fan meets Noel at Stella's, and then claims the coach asked him for help motivating specific players, claims that Noel said Burmi should have been in the minors, etc... The best part - the Globe runs with it, and prints it as a story! Amazing! It's not even April Fool's!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2402393/
Chuck Duboff was my English teacher at Maples Collegiate.

He is a piece of work to say the least.

I saw Mark Chipman at Marcello's at lunch on Friday. However I had the sense to just let him get his lunch without being pestered by a fan.

Last edited by h0twired; Apr 14, 2012 at 9:12 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 4:52 AM
BANNED

It's been a year since the big announcement, anyone have any comments?

PS TrueViking or anyone else in the KNOW, what happened to the entertainment district that was supposed to materialize with the return of the Jets?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 1:00 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
It's been a year since the big announcement, anyone have any comments?

PS TrueViking or anyone else in the KNOW, what happened to the entertainment district that was supposed to materialize with the return of the Jets?
The first of the Funnelators should be making an appearance later this summer, the Met Theater redevelopment is well underway, CentrePoint is well underway, the Convention Centre plans should be public by late summer/fall, the MPI Graham Ave parking lot development should be made public early fall and the sports bar in CityPlace should start in late summer/fall.

There is lots currently going on and lots coming. You have to remember two of the largest portions of the SHED District are huge, very complex projects with lots of players involved. They take some time. I have seen a couple of the proposals and believe me, they are very impressive and will definitely alter the feel of the area involved.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 3:52 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
the sports bar in CityPlace should start in late summer/fall.
kind of surprising True North wouldn't be working on this space sooner, to have it ready for hockey season. Unless they're confident there will be a lengthy lockout?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:43 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavelle103 View Post
kind of surprising True North wouldn't be working on this space sooner, to have it ready for hockey season. Unless they're confident there will be a lengthy lockout?
Is the sports bar even owned by True North?

I thought that it was just going to be another Shark Club location.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:45 PM

pretty sure True North will own the bar, even if it's a Shark Club franchise. think that's where they want to put the extra VLTs the province gave them. The space in cityplace is stripped down to concrete, but no action.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan