HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
So he was elite but not a superstar?
I see what you did there. He was a great QB who got injured and hasn't been the same, never will be. It unfortunately happens.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 12:46 AM

Congrats to the Bombers. Definitely the better team today. Hope they bring home the Grey Cup. The Bomber fans are deserving of that.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 2:31 AM

^ Thank you... it could have been a very different outcome if Collaros was able to play and fire on all cylinders.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 5:01 AM

I missed a good part of the game. I noticed Streveler at quarterback for much of the last part of the game. What happened to Nichols?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
I missed a good part of the game. I noticed Streveler at quarterback for much of the last part of the game. What happened to Nichols?
Nothing, he was fine. The Bombers put Streveler in on short yardage situations and will then normally keep him in for a few more plays. They had him in for that last possession when they wanted to keep the ball on the ground a lot.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 5:23 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
The TV commentators didn't really address that issue very thoroughly. It sounded as though they thought he was in to lead a more running-focused offence to run time off the clock safely.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 5:24 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Nothing, he was fine. The Bombers put Streveler in on short yardage situations and will then normally keep him in for a few more plays.
But didn't he play the entire final series? They showed Nichols on the sidelines in some sort of coat.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
But didn't he play the entire final series? They showed Nichols on the sidelines in some sort of coat.
Yes, and coincidentally I just added a comment about that to my last post. I didn't notice that anything happened with Nichols, I just think the Bombers wanted to keep the ball on the ground to burn up time and that happens to be one of Streveler's specialties. There is probably less hesitation to let Streveler find a gap and go than there would be with Nichols.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 6:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Congrats to the Bombers. Definitely the better team today. Hope they bring home the Grey Cup. The Bomber fans are deserving of that.
Thanks a lot. Appreciate that very much.

Since I live in Calgary, I will find out if I work on that date by Tuesday, and since it is likely I do not, I am going to snag two tickets to the game on Sunday!

Go Bombers!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 2:23 PM

Congrats to the Bombers.
The Riders inability in the red zone was a real achilles heel for the team. If Bridge could have hit a wide open Roosevelt they'd be up 10 - 0 instead of 6 - 0 (I just forget the scenario for the first Rider field goal, I'm feeling the play calling was pathetic in red zone for that series as well) and 14-0 was there as well.
But the Bomber running game was solid and Harris and the QB ability to bounce off initial contact and drive for 2 or 3 extra yards was a killer.
The high hit on Bridge at the end of the game was a bad miss by the zebras but the game was already decided.

I'll be cheering for the Bombers against Calgary and I'll even be happy if they go on to win the cup!

Go Big Blue!!!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 2:32 PM

^ The support is warmly appreciated

You could really see what a difference a solid run game makes at this time of year... between a somewhat porous o-line and a lack of explosive ball carriers, this was a bit of a weak spot for years for the Bombers, but it looks like it has finally come together. The Rider d-line is so ferocious that anything less than an o-line's A-game will spell disaster... I think Hughes, Jefferson & Co. gave the Bombers as much as they could handle on that front.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Congrats to the Bombers.
The Riders inability in the red zone was a real achilles heel for the team. If Bridge could have hit a wide open Roosevelt they'd be up 10 - 0 instead of 6 - 0 (I just forget the scenario for the first Rider field goal, I'm feeling the play calling was pathetic in red zone for that series as well) and 14-0 was there as well.
But the Bomber running game was solid and Harris and the QB ability to bounce off initial contact and drive for 2 or 3 extra yards was a killer.
The high hit on Bridge at the end of the game was a bad miss by the zebras but the game was already decided.

I'll be cheering for the Bombers against Calgary and I'll even be happy if they go on to win the cup!

Go Big Blue!!!
Thanks for the gracious comments! It's refreshing to see game comments without the usual mean-spirit sniping and recriminations that often go on. Having the game played on Rememberance Day put the whole thing into perspective for me before the game started. Even though it was playoff, it was still just a game. The Riders and Bombers would both be back to pay more games next year; no-one would die as a result.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 3:43 PM

Don't want to get ahead ourselves here, but considering the way Calgary has played the last 5-6 weeks, compared to the Bombers – I'm... excited.. to see what happens.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Don't want to get ahead ourselves here, but considering the way Calgary has played the last 5-6 weeks, compared to the Bombers – I'm... excited.. to see what happens.
I would think Calgary is still considered the favourite, but yeah, they seem a little more vulnerable than they have in past years. Here's hoping for a Bomber win!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Thanks for the gracious comments! It's refreshing to see game comments without the usual mean-spirit sniping and recriminations that often go on. Having the game played on Rememberance Day put the whole thing into perspective for me before the game started. Even though it was playoff, it was still just a game. The Riders and Bombers would both be back to pay more games next year; no-one would die as a result.
As I get older my fanaticism has waned considerably. My younger self would agonize for days after a loss. Now I'm sad for about 20 seconds after a loss and then carry on! And calling down the intellect, lifestyle choices and lineage of opposition fans is so tiring.
Its just a game after all.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
As I get older my fanaticism has waned considerably. My younger self would agonize for days after a loss. Now I'm sad for about 20 seconds after a loss and then carry on! And calling down the intellect, lifestyle choices and lineage of opposition fans is so tiring.
Its just a game after all.
I think it's a lot easier for CFL fans to get over as it's a 9 team league, pretty good odds every year lol... except somehow the Bombers have defied logic.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Let's just hope no key players break any arms on Sunday.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Let's just hope no key players break any arms on Sunday.
Oh geez, I wish you hadn't said that

But seriously, if some terrible fate befalls Nichols on Sunday, at least we'll have a much more reliable backup plan this time out with Streveler than we did with ol' blue eyes in 2007, given that Streveler has actually started games and handled himself remarkably well.

Coincidentally, Dinwiddie will be on the sidelines this Sunday as Calgary's QB coach...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 1:29 AM

Did you see this? Lost bet:

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 7:42 PM

Apparently there is some kind of documentary about Andrew Harris and his life coming out. He had a pretty tough upbringing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan