HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 11:38 PM
Posh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Of course I can not devolve the names of these person[s] ...
I think you meant divulge.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 11:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
I think you meant divulge.
You must be correct again sir.

I think Siri is not serious about correcting simple spelling errors. We are so glad to have you proof read every single post.

We must thoroughly Thank you immensely once again for your studious eye.

Keep up at your yeoman like work ethic and decicated effort for correcting and showing simple foumers the way to use the proper English language as a civilized human being should know and be taught to know when an off letter is misplaced by an AI figure that has no or nor feelings toward me.

You showing your act of kindness shows how much you truly do care. This was an act of kindness and a potential teaching moment to all of us on the intertubes. I hope some of the neophytes are watching this kindly exchange and will learn in the future to be a better speller and better Pronunciator that I could have been and got away with it for so long. Our hope lies in our children that will one day look upon this site in awe and appreciate your grand efforts.

:;

Last edited by bnk; Oct 30, 2017 at 12:07 AM. Reason: AT

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 12:03 AM
Never Dell

I doubt we'll hear real leaks. Any "highly placed source" is probably not in the inner circle, or their comments are misunderstood. The actual knowledgeable people must be subject to extremely tight NDAs.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
^ Philly in the east, Pittsburgh in the west and Alabama in the middle.

Illinois is not a battleground state. Or was that your point?
My point was that the political and economic similarities of Pennsylvania and Michigan are pretty striking. And politically, Michigan is probably slightly left of Pennsylvania, while still being right of most other mid-Atlantic and northeast states.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Even economically, I don't think Pennsylvania is closer to Illinois than it is to Michigan. Michigan's 2016 median income was $52K, Pennsylvania's $56K, and Illinois's 60K.
Again, I was more referring to industry mix (i.e., blue collar vs. white collar breakdown, and similar degree of manufacturing). Incomes are actually within a very similar range for all three states (when considering COL differences and margin-of-error in the data, as I note below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
In fact, Pennsylvania's numbers don't really look out-of-line in the context of other Midwest/Rust Belt states -- Pennsylvania has the same median income as Wisconsin. On the other hand, PA does look very out of context in relation to its mid-Atlantic neighbors. It is far behind pretty much every other big mid-Atlantic state.
It's important to consider context. A very large metro area drives the higher overall incomes at the state level for New York and New Jersey (i.e., a greater proportion of those states' residents live within a major metro area than in Pennsylvania). Maryland, also, is a great beneficiary of federal government salaries.

That being said, aside from the COL differences mentioned above, I think folks should be comparing apples-to-apples when it comes to income, and a simple comparison of households isn't that (doesn't account for the any number of people that could be included in each household, not to mention "household income" includes upwards of 20 different income sources, including government benefits).

If you look at another American Community Survey data point, Median Earnings for Full-time, Year-round Workers (over age 25), you get a much better sense of what a standard employee will make in a given city, metro area or statewide.

Here's what that looks like in 2016 for a handful of states relevant to this conversation (involves some math to account for breakdown of male versus female earnings in comparison to the total workforce):

New Jersey - $57,313
Maryland - $56,720
New York - $50,576
Illinois - $48,358
Pennsylvania - $47,089
Michigan - $46,176
Wisconsin - $45,762
Ohio - $45,246

Again considering COL differences, and margin-of-error given that these are estimates, the range is actually not that far apart, but in particular the largest states of NY, IL and PA are within a very similar income range.

Last edited by UrbanRevival; Oct 30, 2017 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
If I recall you stated that same statement twice in the last 48 hours if I am not correct.

If you don't mind I will pull a larger action dragon card out with better inside action than you could even imagine.

My higher sources at Amazon" inside sources are telling me" its not only the front runner, but was the only option, its going to go to East St. Louis, Illinois. [Bezos is a sucker for strip clubs and titty bars ]

The rest of the 238 metro plans were just for media coverage. All media, positive or negative tends to lean positive so it cant be all that bad, ask the Kardashians.

I'll be sure to keep you all of you guys updated. Of course my source is a very important Amazon big wig and I know lots of big wigs in many important companies. That's why I share this detailed inside knowledge with the rest of you SSP fourmers.

The person or persons [ possible group ] that I am referring to has the total access to the entire thought process and inside information of the site selection process of it all.

My super deep inside sources even know what Bezos it going to do tomorrow and what he is going to eat for breakfast.

Of course I can not devolve the names of these person[s] of this information for the physical safety of the head honcho leakers... Everything I have stated is off the record so.... You know the drill...

Just what everything I have read on the intertubes and the late night call from said deepthroats information bomb, makes this a sure thing for sure. ...

Best wishes to the rest of the losers.
BNK, you can be pretty odd or crazy at times, but you deserve a trophy for this post.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 2:32 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

the st. louis bid actually included the east st. louis riverfront...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 2:45 PM

bnk wins the Internet for today!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
the st. louis bid actually included the east st. louis riverfront...
Makes sense that it would. Hindsight is 20/20, but I almost feel St. Louis would have been better off had it been in Illinois. A more liberal state legislature would have likely been a benefit to St. Louis as manufacturing in the area started it's rapid decline.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Makes sense that it would. Hindsight is 20/20, but I almost feel St. Louis would have been better off had it been in Illinois. A more liberal state legislature would have likely been a benefit to St. Louis as manufacturing in the area started it's rapid decline.
it's hard to say...because the metro east (illinois side of st. louis) is much more heavily industrial than the missouri side by far, with the steel mills, chemical plants, etc, and de-industrialization ravaged it just like it gutted decatur, et al., and of course dick durbin is from the illinois side of the st. louis metro, and it's really hard to see any benefit from that.. chicago has always had the attention.

if the state government wasn't so dysfunctional, i'd certainly prefer that st. louis were in illinois, though for completely different reasons, since the state actually contributes to transit (funded the really long metrolink extensions on the illinois side). the state of missouri government is worthless.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 3:09 PM

Quote:
it's hard to say...because the metro east (illinois side of st. louis) is much more heavily industrial than the missouri side by far, with the steel mills, chemical plants, etc, and de-industrialization ravaged it just like it gutted decatur, et al., and of course dick durbin is from the illinois side of the st. louis metro, and it's really hard to see any benefit from that.. chicago has always had the attention.

if the state government wasn't so dysfunctional, i'd certainly prefer that st. louis were in illinois, though for completely different reasons, since the state actually contributes to transit (funded the really long metrolink extensions on the illinois side). the state of missouri government is worthless.
True that the Illinois side has been hit hard as well, but the Missouri side of the metro has always been the economic engine of the region. Most of the money is on the Missouri side as is most of the population. If it were flipped and more people lived and worked on the Illinois side, I think things would have stabilized sooner. Impossible to know for sure, unfortunately

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 4:56 PM

I have many doubts about the E. St. Louis story; I am old enough to know that" inside information" always remains pseudo-information until proven. In any case it would be good for the St Louis area which needs a boost. Certainly Austin or Atlanta don't need this injection in order to keep on growing at a fast pace.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
I have many doubts about the E. St. Louis story; I am old enough to know that" inside information" always remains pseudo-information until proven. In any case it would be good for the St Louis area which needs a boost. Certainly Austin or Atlanta don't need this injection in order to keep on growing at a fast pace.
666% true rumor

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 3:28 AM

Quote:
666% true rumor
666% TRUE

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 3:25 PM
I am the law!

titty bars and strip clubs suck in the US.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 3:38 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
They were being sarcastic.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 3:48 PM

This may be interesting...

Who Posted?
Total Posts: 1,016
User Name Posts
Pedestrian 52
James Bond Agent 007 48
skyscraperpage17 48
Centropolis 37
JManc 35
bnk 31
10023 31
CIA 29
IrishIllini 27
Steely Dan 27
dc_denizen 26
mhays 25
The North One 22
the urban politician 20
Sun Belt 18
summersm343 16
BrownTown 14
JMKeynes 14
denizen467 13
dimondpark 13
subterranean 12
isaidso 12
iheartthed 12
YSL 11
chris08876 11
Northern Light 10
k1052 10
montréaliste 10
LouisVanDerWright 9
Parkway 9
Via Chicago 9
ssiguy 8
Shawn 8
austlar1 7
Doady 7
emathias 7
Kngkyle 7
nature's calling 6
ChargerCarl 6
Acajack 6
lio45 6
cabasse 6
CherryCreek 5
OhioGuy 5
osmo 5
bigstick 5
mousquet 5
homebucket 5
The ATX 5
ScreamShatter 5
Jonesy55 5
Chef 5
Omaharocks 4
UrbanRevival 4
themaguffin 4
a very long weekend 4
ocman 4
brian_b 4
jubguy3 4
casper 4
jtown,man 4
ardecila 4
crosbyshow 4
Crawford 4
twister244 3
pico44 3
goat314 3
MolsonExport 3
KevinFromTexas 3
Antares41 3
tdawg 3
llamaorama 3
Ant131531 3
mrnyc 3
Corndogger 3
Private Dick 3
cjreisen 3
matt777 3
M II A II R II K 3
LosAngelesSportsFan 3
SteveD 3
lrt's friend 3
wwmiv 3
TowerSpotter 3
Domer2019 3
GlassCity 2
Citylover94 2
Obadno 2
CypressClinton 2
LMich 2
woodrow 2
Mister F 2
F1 Tommy 2
sopas ej 2
TorontoDrew 2
Late1 2
WhipperSnapper 2
streetscaper 2
Vlajos 2
JoeMusashi 2
muertecaza 2
BVictor1 2
skyscraper 2
SLO 2
Eidolon 2
AbortedWalrus 2
Atlanta3000 2
DMPHL 2
softee 2
RC14 2
Car(e)-Free LA 2
BG918 2
creamcityleo79 2
nomarandlee 2
Mr Roboto 2
Reverberation 2
pm91 1
Innsertnamehere 1
Jelly Roll 1
JustSomeGuyWho 1
cannedairspray 1
tayser 1
Cory 1
jlousa 1
Jaborandi 1
jayden 1
Encolpius 1
Randomguy34 1
atlantaguy 1
blorkishdork 1
SlidellWx 1
mja 1
MonkeyRonin 1
jmt18325 1
north 42 1
dubu 1
Gantz 1
tastybunns 1
coyotetrickster 1
azliam 1
710cl 1
PhilliesPhan 1
Cirrus 1
chris 1
DJM19 1
spyguy 1
seaskyfan 1
xzmattzx 1
toddguy 1
sukwoo 1
CharmCity1 1
Kevicky 1
Tom In Chicago 1
initiald 1
TWAK 1
Austin55 1
mademan404 1
Kippis 1
scalziand 1
yuriandrade 1
Nomad9 1
Barbarossa 1
TallCoolOne 1
Emprise du Lion 1
BnaBreaker 1
Maldive 1
dave8721 1
Tuckerman 1
airhero 1
Gresto 1
Flyers2001 1
ithakas 1
Xing 1
Xelebes 1

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 4:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Bezos is a sucker for strip clubs and titty bars ]
Montreal for the win.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
titty bars and strip clubs suck in the US.
depends on the state/city, and your tolerance of body fluids/smells/firearms. you do whatever the fuck you want in east st. louis/brooklyn (illinois)/ sauget (well sauget is the fancy ones) and new orleans. none of this half-nudity stuff, either.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
They were being sarcastic.
Thanks SP 17

Sorry to miss the sarcasm, but in this age of fake news manufactured by errant presidents it is hard to know what to believe. Still, I think E. St. Louis would be great for Amazon - all those millenial techies would love the riverfront environment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions