HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
What exactly is 'Culture Fit'? I saw something like most craft beer breweries per capita in Denver.
Quote:
Methodology:

*Newark includes all of Northern New Jersey

COLLEGE POPULATION: Percentage of population that is college educated.

TECH LABOR FORCE: Total labor force in a tech occupation. Includes tech jobs not in the tech industry.

FISCAL HEALTH: Cities are scored on metrics including ratio of general fund balance to expenditures; ratio of pension contributions to total government-wide revenues; change in unemployment rate in 2015; and change in property values in 2015.

COST OF LIVING: Estimated cost of living for mid-management households by weighting different consumer expenditure categories.

CULTURAL FIT: Sites that reflect "Cultural Community Fit" and "Community/Quality of Life" as outlined in the Amazon request-for-proposals. Strong universities, diverse population, recreational opportunities, and an overall high quality of life. Excludes government incentive packages.

STATE TAX RANK: Rank of tax rates (​including corporate, income and property-tax ranks). One is lowest tax state, 50 is highest tax state.
http://www.wsj.com/graphics/amazon-headquarters/

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 5:19 PM
Never Dell

WSJ places no value on urban form, transit, etc. They didn't do their homework.

In fact, not one poll or article I've seen to-date seems to show much clue if the goal is something similar to HQ1.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
+1

They've really gone downhill.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 5:22 PM

Quote:

In fact, not one poll or article I've seen to-date seems to show much clue if the goal is something similar to HQ1.
I believe something like transit would be included in other criteria just as universities is but they seem to have tried to follow the Amazon RFP which I doubt mentioned "urban form".

Sorry if your choice wasn't picked by the WSJ.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 5:33 PM
Never Dell

Where did they include transit?

Lesson #1 in RFQ response is to understand your client beyond what's in the RFQ. It's also an important lesson in corporate location decisions.

I don't have a "choice." I'm in Seattle commercial real estate.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Where did they include transit?
I recommend emailing the author of the piece but since transit was apparently something Amazon said was a factor in the RFP, I doubt it was ignored. It simply didn't warrant its own "pie slice".

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 5:46 PM
Never Dell

Are you saying you haven't read the RFP? After so much time and so many comments?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 7:23 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by You know who
Confident Philadelphia Officials Preemptively Raze Center City To Make Room For Amazon Headquarters

Philadelphia officials say they’re optimistic enough about their chances of landing the new headquarters that it just made sense to implode the downtown area. Photo by The Onion.

PHILADELPHIA—Convinced they will win the highly competitive contest to host the e-commerce giant’s new offices, optimistic local officials have preemptively razed Philadelphia’s entire Center City district to make room for Amazon’s second North American headquarters, sources said Thursday.
Strong move. Signals their seriousness. New front runner.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 8:01 PM

Here is the RFP again:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....516043504_.pdf

To me it seems quite clear that in describing the idea site and building requirements for mass transit as “At site” and proximity to major highways and arterial roads as “not more than 1-2 miles”, they are quite strongly hinting at a preference for urban sites.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 8:06 PM

Why would Amazon HQ2 want to be in cities with harsh winters?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 8:07 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

come on its time to the foot down here and choose before amazon does (if they do lol).

my guess is dallas gets it over denver by a td and field goal.

why? dallas has a proprietary reason i am aware of that gives them a nice leg up, although certainly not a lock by any means because who knows. so its a good guess for now. after the decision i can share more. im sure other cities have something with somewhat similar synergy, if perhaps not as big.

anyway, we’ve had enough homering and noise, lets do this — make your guess — where do you think it will it actually land???

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 8:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlwarrior View Post

Why in the world would Amazon choose a place with harsh Summers

That would be a stupid choice anyway the citiy already been chosen and it’s not in yours.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 8:15 PM
Posh

Quote:
That was a really stupid comment. Do you know how many Fortune 500 companies are HQ'd in Chicago and Minneapolis? Why should Amazon be any different?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Why would they care? Most of the largest and most successful companies in the United States have headquarters in cities with winters that are less than wonderful.

Most of those cities are themselves, or are linked closely to, large economic and cultural centers.

Winter weather isn't a hindrance to a successful business, unless you're a beach resort.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 8:19 PM

Will it go to a city in a state that recently passed a "bathroom bill"? Mark Cuban thinks no... https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...y-scare-amazon

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
That was a really stupid comment. Do you know how many Fortune 500 companies are HQ'd in Chicago and Minneapolis? Why should Amazon be any different?
And New York, and Boston...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Will it go to a city in a state that recently passed a "bathroom bill"? Mark Cuban thinks no... https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...y-scare-amazon
No offense to Dallas, but when you’re touting SMU and UT-Arlington as the sources of your talent pool, it’s not a great sign. Sounds like that’s a category to put in the negative column for Dallas’ bid.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 9:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
And New York, and Boston...
and toronto, and montreal, and detroit, and cleveland, and pittsburgh, and milwaukee, etc.

the notion that F500 businesses can't succeed in places where it snows is beyond absurd.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 9:33 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
No offense to Dallas, but when you’re touting SMU and UT-Arlington as the sources of your talent pool, it’s not a great sign. Sounds like that’s a category to put in the negative column for Dallas’ bid.
Then you really don't know these universities then to brush them off as if they were some local community college and not everyone who winds up working that HQ2 is going to be some whizkid who graduated cum laude from Stanford, Yale or even UT-Austin. I don't think Cuban was talking out of his ass. He may on other things but probably not about this.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
and toronto, and montreal, and detroit, and cleveland, and pittsburgh, and milwaukee, etc.

the notion that F500 businesses can't succeed in places where it snows is beyond absurd.
It makes 0 sense because NYC and Chicago are home to the most F500 companies, I believe. People who think that businesses put significant emphasis on weather are seriously misinformed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Then you really don't know these universities then to brush them off as if they were some local community college and not everyone who winds up working that HQ2 is going to be some whizkid who graduated cum laude from Stanford, Yale or even UT-Austin. I don't think Cuban was talking out of his ass. He may on other things but probably not about this.
There are some good schools in TX (UT Austin/Rice), but none of them are in Dallas. SMU is a respectable school, but it's small. For comparison, Chicago and Philadelphia are surrounded by top notch schools. Much of the Big Ten ranks above SMU, and those are (for the most part) flagship state schools with enrollments 4X larger. The ACC is also loaded with great schools. Both Chicago and Philadelphia are near higher caliber private schools as well (ND, UChicago, Penn, etc.). Education is not Texas' strong suit.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 10:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Most college grads are mobile and are willing to relocate. If not Boston would be 10X the population it is today. No?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions