HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 11:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
I wouldn't count too much on that if I were in your place.

Your country would be crumbling under debts owed to Chinese assets already. You guys have been living beyond your means and should probably rely more on your own resources at the moment. Or at some point, business people from China would turn doubtful and a bit distrustful... Ainsi va la vie.
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 12:01 AM
BANNED

lol @ overbuilding

If you're massively under building housing you should expect the majority of new ones to be luxury, since those have the highest margins. If you want more affordable new construction you have to permit more units.

Last edited by ChargerCarl; Jan 18, 2017 at 12:15 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 4:48 AM

"66-Story Tower Planned Next to Hotel Figueroa"

http://urbanize.la/post/66-story-tow...hotel-figueroa

Cycles over folks nothing to see here.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 5:08 AM

^would measure S affect that and or the Olympic Towers?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 5:16 AM

^^^So why is it, when it rains it pours? Why couldn't development have been a steady drizzle or light rain over the years, decades, in DTLA, and now?

I'm super-excited about all these developments, but at 66-67, with health problems, will I still be alive to marvel at all these developments one day?

Looking at the graph for units built by decade, you can easily see where the Nimby's stepped in, around 1970 or so. Santa Monica illustrates that all too well, last high rise built in 1970.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Yes but what % of existing housing stock is that?
Less than 2%: http://www.census.gov/quickfacts/map/IPE120213/06075

Los Angeles is probably building in that percentage range too (can't find the exact number) but it's a much larger city, with a much larger housing supply - - over 1.4 million units. It will always have a hard time growing at the same percentage rate as much smaller cities like San Francisco, Dallas, Austin, etc.

Urban core vs urban core (or San Francisco vs Central Los Angeles) isn't a contest - - LA has far more units under construction right now. That's all I care about frankly.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 5:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
^^^So why is it, when it rains it pours? Why couldn't development have been a steady drizzle or light rain over the years, decades, in DTLA, and now?

I'm super-excited about all these developments, but at 66-67, with health problems, will I still be alive to marvel at all these developments one day?

Looking at the graph for units built by decade, you can easily see where the Nimby's stepped in, around 1970 or so. Santa Monica illustrates that all too well, last high rise built in 1970.
Restrictive zoning

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spantik View Post
66-Story Tower Planned Next to Hotel Figueroa"
Cycles over folks nothing to see here.
however, an asterisk needs to be added to your comment. Until & unless that proposal or any other one actually breaks ground, it shouldn't be treated as a certainty. That's always true regardless of whichever cycle exists or doesn't exist at any given moment.

but fingers crossed.....although I'll be happy if at least the apt tower at 4th & hill breaks ground, since it's in such a heavily visited part of dt....where a lot of day timers & tourists are more likely to stumble onto....right next to grand central mkt.

I notice blackcat's excellent website also has a post about another proj proposed for dtla. It too is in one of the most noticeable sections of dt, but not because it sits next to a big foodie place but since it sits right next to a heavily traveled fwy....

I even posted a pic of that specific location a few yrs ago cuz it showed one of those properties in LA....in dtla.....that often makes lots more ppl feel very ambivalent about the hood, about the city, than many other things do....

mapsgoogle.com

the devlpr included an image of the unimproved site as it looks today.....

Department of City Planning

^ More ppl feel a sense of the area's sadness or loneliness of the past from that type of setting way more than anything related to new devlpt that doesn't fit their personal tastes. So I can hardly wait til the proposed apt proj actually breaks ground.....

Department of City Planning

I'll probably notice that improvement far more than many others in dt in the future, since I'll be driving by it on those many occasions when I pass through dt but don't stop into the hood itself.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 6:34 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
That Sears project looks incredible. It reminds me of Ponce City Market in Atlanta, which also used to be a Sears building, except PCM lacks the operating store.
It does look great. Ft Worth has a nice reuse of an old Montgomery Ward building in their South 7th development adjacent to downtown....

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about.
Quite possibly. I don't know, these terms are confusing to me. Sorry about that intrusion, was just tired and read too fast last night.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
^would measure S affect that and or the Olympic Towers?
The devil is in the details on this one, depends on if a TFAR variance is considered a zoning code change to trigger the Measure S moratorium. Hopefully it doesn't and the project fits within it's current zoning without need for any amendments-

TRANSFER OF DEVELOPMENT RIGHT(TFAR) PER SECTION 14.5.6.B GREATER THAN 50,000 SF. OF FLOOR AREA FOR THE TRANSFER OF 473,038 SF. OF FLOOR AREA TO THE PROJECT SITE, BUILDING LINE REMOVAL PER SECTION 12.32.R TO REMOVE A 10-FT. BUILDING LINE ALONG A PORTION OF FIGUEROA STREET

Regardless, it's going to be a long time before it will be ready to break ground anyways.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 6:54 PM

source: http://www.e-architect.co.uk/worlds-...tial-buildings photo: John Bek

Just found WG's twin in Gold Coast Australia! Anyone see this? It's called the Q1

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 7:39 PM
Ascension

Q1 is one of my favorite buildings in the world however, it doesn't look like Wilshire Grand.

Can we please leave the whole 'Wilshire Grand looks like *insert building*' in 2016?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 7:47 PM

DTLA Development: 20+ stories

Summarizing the more skyline-altering projects in DTLA, 2018 will see the completion of 13 taller towers (20+ stories), while nine of the 42 proposed towers are over 50 stories, with possible groundbreakings for 13 more towers this year:

COMPLETIONS
801 S. Olive (Atelier) – 33
Wilshire Grand Center – 73
Metropolis (tower 2) – 38

1200 S. Figueroa (Circa) – 36, 36
Metropolis (Phase II) – 56, 40
Oceanwide Plaza – 49, 40, 40
755 S. Spring – 24
732 S. Spring – 24
888 S. Hope (CIM) – 34
825 S. Hill (Onni) – 49
9th & Figueroa (Apex II) - 28
12th & Grand (Mack Urban) – 38

1212 S. Flower (Onni) – 40, 31

STARTS
5th & Olive (Park Fifth) – 24
1133 S. Hope - 28
1233 S. Grand (Vara) – 22
4th & Broadway – 34
850 S. Hill (Alexan) – 27
633 S. Spring (Lizard) – 28
1201 S. Grand (Arris) – 37
Luxe block (Phase I) - 32, 32
4th & Hill (Beacon) – 33
675 S. Bixel (Career Lofts) - 36
Fig + Pico hotels – 42, 25

8th & Fig. - 42
1st & Grand (The Grand) – 39, 20

Proposed
925 S. Figueroa - 66
1001 W. Olympic (Olympia) – 65, 53, 43
11th & Olive – 65?
6th & Alameda (6AM) – 58, 58
5th & Hill – 57
Fig. & Olympic (Olympic Tower) – 57
Times Mirror Square (Onni) – 53, 37
1000 S. Hill (Onni) - 48
Luxe block (Phase II) – 42
6th & Main (SB Omega) – 38
7th & Maple – 33
920 S. Hill – 32
222 W. 2nd St. - 30
670 Mesquit – 30, 30
845 S. Olive - 29
1247 W. 7th St. - 28
1335 S. Grand – 28
Parker Center tower - 27
7th & Lucas (The Seven) – 26
Grand & C. Chavez (Lucia Tower) – 22
Olympic & Hill – 20

Last edited by kaneui; Jan 18, 2017 at 8:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 9:52 PM

Great list! Great times now and great times ahead!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post

STARTS

Both the Vara AND Arris are to start construction this year? I've seen updates on Vara, but nothing on Arris. Can you provide confirmation source?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post
Both the Vara AND Arris are to start construction this year? I've seen updates on Vara, but nothing on Arris. Can you provide confirmation source?
I believe it was mentioned in one of the Downtown News' quarterly development updates from 2016, with their last one appearing in September (however, it seems those updates have now been removed from their website). Of course, announced start dates are often an optimistic estimate, and are frequently pushed back before the actual groundbreaking.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 2:49 AM

Quote:
I believe it was mentioned in one of the Downtown News' quarterly development updates from 2016, with their last one appearing in September (however, it seems those updates have now been removed from their website). Of course, announced start dates are often an optimistic estimate, and are frequently pushed back before the actual groundbreaking.
The last update on Arris was from last February, where it was reported that a groundbreaking was expected that spring. Obviously that didn't happen. In September, they also reported that Vara would break ground by the end of the year. That didn't happen either.

That being said, I don't think it's unreasonable to predict that one or both may break ground in 2017.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Great times now and great times ahead!

Quote:
Lucas’ wife, Ariel Investments President Mellody Hobson, who will serve as museum board chair, stopped by The Times to discuss the project. Accessibility and diversity are top of mind in terms of the visitors the museum will attract and the types of art it will show, Hobson said, including fine-art paintings and photography as well as comic book illustration and “Star Wars” costumes.

Through collaboration with nearby schools and USC, the Lucas Museum aims to become an interactive learning center with film screenings, lectures by well known directors, visual artist residencies, a research library and more, Hobson said.

“We’re going to do something very different, it doesn’t quite exist yet,” Hobson said of the museum, which will join the California Science Center, the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County and the California African American Museum in the park. The rest of the conversation, edited for length:

The Lucas Museum of Narrative Art will bring culture, tourism and tens of thousands of jobs to L.A. It’s clear why the city would want it — but why did the museum want L.A.?

We wanted to be here because of the community. We thought that it was in a community where we could make a difference. It was a community that wanted us, and where our neighbors were world-class museums. A lot of times young people will say to George, “How did you get these ideas?” And he thought it would be great to point to, for example, the Science Center and say, “Go across to the science museum and look at real science, go to the Natural History Museum and look at dinosaurs,” to show where ideas come from.

We also wanted to be here because we’d have so many schools around us, and we saw that we’d have a captive audience, not to mention the tourists that we think will come. You have all of these students who could use this building in the way we envisioned it.

What other elements will the museum have?

There will be two screening rooms. Our sense is there will be a cinematheque, so films will be shown every day and that will be a part of the function of the building. There will be artists in residence, a library for research — obviously a great resource for college students, PhD students, high school students. And there will be educational facilities and classrooms that will be used in the furtherance of whatever we might be teaching at that time. Maybe we do a series on digital art, maybe a series on comic art. There’s all sorts of ways this could play out.

Is there a curator yet? And what about other staffing?

In terms of permanent jobs, the staff of the museum will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 350 full-time jobs. But the staff itself will be bigger than that in terms of visiting fellows, all sorts of people that come and go in the institution. That probably takes that number up substantially.

Did the current art scene in L.A., or the greater creative community, play a role in the museum’s decision to move here?

I think the art community here means we’re in good company. That was another very attractive thing: L.A. is in a great renaissance right now, it’s very clear. From two football teams to maybe the Olympics to a soccer stadium, what you’ve done with public transportation — it feels like the city is seeing around corners. When we think about the art community in film, clearly the history is here in terms of Hollywood. And when we think about the art community as it’s expanded very, very successfully in Los Angeles, we think about being in good company. The museums are just thriving right now. It’s great to be a part of that.

The museum’s search for a home has been almost a decade long. Do you and George feel a sense of relief?

This has been a long journey, and there’s a great sense of relief. In this last iteration with San Francisco and L.A., we knew one of those cities was going to work. It wasn’t a question of if, it was which. And so we saw a path to an actual building. And when you think about that compared to the prior two experiences [in San Francisco’s Presidio and along Chicago’s lakefront], where we got close and then got derailed, we didn’t have that kind of comfort or a sense that it was possible. But now we know that it will be built here in Los Angeles, and that is incredibly reassuring and it makes us very, very happy. We’re happy to be in a community that really wants us. That came through loud and clear.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Summarizing the more skyline-altering projects in DTLA, 2018 will see the completion of 13 taller towers (20+ stories), while nine of the 42 proposed towers are over 50 stories, with possible groundbreakings for 13 more towers this year:

COMPLETIONS
801 S. Olive (Atelier) – 33
Wilshire Grand Center – 73
Metropolis (tower 2) – 38

1200 S. Figueroa (Circa) – 36, 36
Metropolis (Phase II) – 56, 40
Oceanwide Plaza – 49, 40, 40
755 S. Spring – 24
732 S. Spring – 24
888 S. Hope (CIM) – 34
825 S. Hill (Onni) – 49
9th & Figueroa (Apex II) - 28
12th & Grand (Mack Urban) – 38

1212 S. Flower (Onni) – 40, 31

STARTS
5th & Olive (Park Fifth) – 24
1133 S. Hope - 28
4th & Broadway – 34
850 S. Hill (Alexan) – 27
633 S. Spring (Lizard) – 28
Luxe block (Phase I) - 32, 32
4th & Hill (Beacon) – 33
675 S. Bixel (Career Lofts) - 36
Fig + Pico hotels – 42, 25

8th & Fig. - 42
1st & Grand (The Grand) – 39, 20

Proposed
925 S. Figueroa - 66
1001 W. Olympic (Olympia) – 65, 53, 43
11th & Olive – 65?
6th & Alameda (6AM) – 58, 58
5th & Hill – 57
Fig. & Olympic (Olympic Tower) – 57
Times Mirror Square (Onni) – 53, 37
1000 S. Hill (Onni) - 48
Luxe block (Phase II) – 42
6th & Main (SB Omega) – 38
7th & Maple – 33
920 S. Hill – 32
222 W. 2nd St. - 30
670 Mesquit – 30, 30
845 S. Olive - 29
1247 W. 7th St. - 28
1335 S. Grand – 28
Parker Center tower - 27
7th & Lucas (The Seven) – 26
Grand & C. Chavez (Lucia Tower) – 22
Olympic & Hill – 20
I wouldn't count on many of those "proposed" towers being built, if the "NIMBY" bill passes this March, or the economy turns down. But the last year has been great, and those under construction will still make for a great skyline. However, the building boom may finally be winding down for this cycle, especially if the "NIMBY" bill passes. Was one hell of a building boom, best ever in L.A.

P.S. are there any polls or estimates on whether the "NIMBY" bill could pass? I'm sure the unions are fighting it. A stupid bill that will hurt the economy & jobs. L.A. needs housing, and much of it needs to be in high rises & mid rises because of land costs. The days of new single family homes for the middle class anywhere withing 50 miles of L.A. is probably over. Dense & tall, near transit hubs. Dang NIMBYs. Selfish jerks.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jan 19, 2017 at 8:55 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations