HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 2:08 PM

Talking about Montreal cinema

French Canadian cinema absolutely destroys what the rest of Canada puts out every year. It's like a 5 to 1 ratio in terms of quality in favor of Quebec.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 2:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Immigration is a huge factor. Cities with massive immigrant populations tend to have immigrants that don't assimilate to Canadian culture, but stick to their old world culture. Little Italy in Toronto? They don't even give Canadian sports like football or baseball a chance. They just stick to soccer because everyone in their neighbourhood is from Italy too so why bother? Go to places like Halifax, Regina, or Edmonton and they tend to take up Canadian traditions. When people socialize they need to do what other people are doing: in smaller cities with less immigration that means Canadian pastimes.

Those Quebecers may like to think of themselves as European, but they're thoroughly north American. They're holding on to this myth to feel different or unique, but it's just a myth. I'm from Europe and there's little European about Quebec society or culture. It's 100% Canuck. Having old buildings from 100-200 years ago doesn't make you European. Halifax has those too. So does Boston and Mexico City.

I don't understand the self loathing at all. Canadians have a lot to be proud of culture wise. Btw, some Torontonians do it too: they view their own culture as 2nd rate. It's really sad actually. I prefer Canadian culture to European: sports, music, lifestyle, architecture, food, etc.

Why does it take an immigrant to point these things out to Canadian born?
I get your points but Quebec isn't really 100% Canuck or North American, let's be honest. Quebec is... Québécois. It is very much its own place and there are real differences between it and the rest of the country and continent. Sure there are differences between two other parts of Canada that are not Quebec and among other parts of North America as well, but nowhere are the differences as great, obvious and "foreign-feeling".

As for Quebec being "European", well... it is true that there are a number of things that distinguish it and that may seem "European" to the outside observer since they tend to be stereotypically associated with the Old Continent or certain parts of it: tolerance for sexuality and nudity on TV and elsewhere, tolerance for high taxation levels and the "nanny state", lower obesity rates than almost the entire rest of NA, preference for smaller vehicles, prevalence of wine at meals and dominance of wine in liquor sales, and a whole bunch of others that I could bring up if I thought of it.

The "Euro-philic" aspirations (which do exist) of a certain elite in Quebec notwithstanding, are these really "European traits" or simply Québécois traits that people here have in common with Europeans?

Are Brazilians mad about soccer because they are European-influenced or simply because they are Brazilian?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I get your points but Quebec isn't really 100% Canuck or North American, let's be honest. Quebec is... Québécois. It is very much its own place and there are real differences between it and the rest of the country and continent. Sure there are differences between two other parts of Canada that are not Quebec and among other parts of North America as well, but nowhere are the differences as great, obvious and "foreign-feeling".

As for Quebec being "European", well... it is true that there are a number of things that distinguish it and that may seem "European" to the outside observer since they tend to be stereotypically associated with the Old Continent or certain parts of it: tolerance for sexuality and nudity on TV and elsewhere, tolerance for high taxation levels and the "nanny state", lower obesity rates than almost the entire rest of NA, preference for smaller vehicles, prevalence of wine at meals and dominance of wine in liquor sales, and a whole bunch of others that I could bring up if I thought of it.

The "Euro-philic" aspirations (which do exist) of a certain elite in Quebec notwithstanding, are these really "European traits" or simply Québécois traits that people here have in common with Europeans?

Are Brazilians mad about soccer because they are European-influenced or simply because they are Brazilian?
Erm, Obesity rates in Quebec and Ontario are pretty equal at 25% (which puts them on par with about 30 U.S. states). B.C. actually has the lowest obesity rate in the nation (under 20%). Nudity isn't censored on English Canadian t.v. either. But violence tends to be and for some reason the word Motherf*cker".

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 2:39 PM

Quote:

Well said. I agree with this...Quebec IS North American, and it IS Canadian, but like you said, not 100% - key word. Its really Quebec. Its a mix of a ton of things, but the culture there is Quebecois. But the key word is "not 100%"... For instance, Quebec has just as much a hard-on for hockey as the rest of the country. Montreal has more in common with Winnipeg or Edmonton than it does with Paris. But the amount of "cultured" people you see in Quebec as a whole, in general, is not comparable to anywhere else in Canada. Fashion and language is totally different in Quebec. Among students, I find the exception is more the trend in Quebec.

I'm also originally from Europe, and I even live there part of the year (caveat: though London really isn't the best city to compare what continental Europe is) and I can say that I do agree with isaidso, Quebec really isn't European in the term many people describe it. Its more of a misnomer, I find, that even I use because there isn't another way to describe the uniqueness of Quebec to your average North American.

That said, I do also believe, as indicated by my friends from Quebec, that many Quebecois feel isolated from Canada because of this unique culture. But one thing I always point out is that its the same wherever you go in Canada. Its not like BC culture is the same as Manitoban culture, or even Saskatchewan and the Atlantic Provinces are...I think that is also what is strange to former outsiders such as isaidso and myself...maybe its the space of the country? Its so spread out and populations are so isolated to specific regions that people feel less connected to one another? Who knows. Maybe once Alberta hits 8 million people you'll see more of an "identity" and more cultural pride of the whole province emerge?

It is more what you said, and I think you hit the nail on its head, the similarities are there (regarding traits/commonalities) - that I can agree with. Makeup of the city/province? Not at all. Quebec does feel more like its own unique place in Canada, the same way the Atlantic Provinces, or BC or the North is. But people-wise? Definite commonalities with European culture...like you mentioned, people are generally better dressed, better cultured, in Quebec.

Quebec culture definitely has its own spark. For instance, I agree with jigglysquishy, that French Canadian cinema is much, much better than anything else general Canadian cinema pumps out.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 2:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by telyou View Post
Compared to the more than 100 cities i've visited. Hence why i said IMO.
So you've been to more than 100 cities but obviously have never been to Paris, London, Barcelona, Madrid, Munich, Vienna, Berlin, Amsterdam, Las Vegas, New York, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, etc.?

Because all of these are more vibrant than Sydney (which I have been to and really liked, BTW)...

Are most of these 100 cities in, like, the central part of North America or something?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 2:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrard View Post
Nudity isn't censored on English Canadian t.v. either. But violence tends to be and for some reason the word Motherf*cker".
If you think there is no difference then you haven't really watched Quebec TV so you can't really make a comparison. Most English Canadian networks follow the exact same censorship cues as the U.S. networks they obtain most of their programming from.

I remember CTV blurring out even the crude hand sketch of a topless Kate Winslet when the old rusty safe was brought up from the depths at the start of Titanic!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 2:58 PM

Quote:
If you think there is no difference then you haven't really watched Quebec TV so you can't really make a comparison. Most English Canadian networks follow the exact same censorship cues as the U.S. networks they obtain most of their programming from.

I remember CTV blurring out even the crude hand sketch of a topless Kate Winslet when the old rusty safe was brought up from the depths at the start of Titanic!
No they don't follow the same rules. If you are talking about CTV, I'll give you that (keep in mind however, that they might have been simulcasting the American airing). It's a national network as is Global. But it's not the rule for all Canadian channels. There are plenty of local stations in Toronto that don't feel the need to censor nudity (also CBC doesn't either). You obviously haven't watched much Toronto based television to know that so you really can't make a comparison.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 3:21 PM
video et taceo

toronto's new self-image, accurate in many ways but not all, is that of a liberal metropolis in the mold of berlin or amsterdam. there will be no concessions (to other canadian cities) made in the arena of sexual modernism, ethnic multiplicitousness or tolerance of vice. it has the most and the greatest of all qualities relating to this ideal.

even the beer store is justified by epicurean ontarians of the christian lander mold, as it ostensibly offers a greater selection of high-quality brews than do quebec's fabled corner deps (which, within this narrative, tend to offer only the trashier, more domestic offerings beloved by citizens of canada's less-diverse major metropolis).

you have to know where people are coming from, and what their ambitions are -- that way, you can tell where they'll dig in and where they'll self-criticize or admit weakness. the "european" thing -- which isn't really about europe as much as it is a sort of half-accurate shorthand for a whole array of vaguely insouciant-seeming intangibles -- is an area that is very central to the self-regard of canada's largest city, and at the present sensitive moment it will brook no competition.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
toronto's new self-image, accurate in many ways but not all, is that of a liberal metropolis in the mold of berlin or amsterdam. there will be no concessions (to other canadian cities) made in the arena of sexual modernism or tolerance of vice. even the beer store is justified by epicurean ontarians of the christian lander mold, as it ostensibly offers a greater selection of high-quality brews than do quebec's fabled corner deps.

you have to know where people are coming from, and what their ambitions are -- that way, you can tell where they'll dig in and where they'll self-criticize or admit weakness.
Kool, when talking about nudity on t.v. it's not a new Toronto self image thing at all. Nudity has been permissible and prevalent since the 70s. I encourage both of you to educate yourself regarding broadcast standards to see what is allowed and what isn't and at what time and in what context when watching television.

The use of opinion as fact and stereotyping as gospel isn't very helpful and rather than let it slide, as I doubt you would when some English Canadian decides Quebec = Birth Place of the Anti-Christ, I'm more than happy to educate.

I'm beginning to think when people talk about any subject they actually aren't familiar with on this board they should be required to write *IMHO* before posting.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 3:36 PM
video et taceo

i was making a general call regarding the "european" thing, as i have noticed that montreal's (tired and inaccurate, in my opinion, but whatever) traditional tourist slogan seems to now be causing a stir within online "canadian rivalry" circles, where the new image is of toronto as berlin and montreal as baltimore or whatever.

i don't really know the situation with tv laws either here or in toronto, and should probably not have presumed to comment on a discussion that was pretty solidly in this sphere.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 3:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
No they don't follow the same rules. If you are talking about CTV, I'll give you that (keep in mind however, that they might have been simulcasting the American airing). It's a national network as is Global. But it's not the rule for all Canadian channels. There are plenty of local stations in Toronto that don't feel the need to censor nudity (also CBC doesn't either). You obviously haven't watched much Toronto based television to know that so you really can't make a comparison.
Yes, I know CITY-TV for example doesn't censor nudity and swearing.

Although how would I know, since of course I have blacked out all of the English Canadian channels on my TV thanks to the handy ADD/ERASE function!

But judging from what I can see, it seems a lot more in line with "community standards" to show someone getting their head blown off à la CSI at 8 pm than showing a brief flash of a pair of boobs. Once again, this is often the result of simulcasting American programming (as you said), but the end result is still the same: more violence and less sex on mainstream TV.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 3:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
i don't really know the situation with tv laws either here or in toronto, and should probably not have presumed to comment on a discussion that was pretty solidly in this sphere.
TV "laws" are exactly the same in Quebec, Toronto and anywhere else in the country, since they are federally-regulated.

It's just that some networks/regions exercise self-censorship, whereas others tend to push the limits.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 3:48 PM

Quote:
i was making a general call regarding the "european" thing, as i have noticed that montreal's (tired and inaccurate, in my opinion, but whatever) traditional tourist slogan seems to now be causing a stir within online "canadian rivalry" circles, where the new image is of toronto as berlin and montreal as baltimore or whatever.

I do agree there's a very different approach to sexuality in Quebec (or Montreal) versus Toronto (I'm not going to comment on English Canada as a whole). Toronto has become very permissible in terms of what is allowed but has steadfastly maintained an (imho) adorably bourgeois attitude to all of it. Yeah, so I can probably see oral sex performed live on stage but it hasn't made people any less uptight and the PTB certainly aren't going to use that fact in a tourism brochure.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know CITY-TV for example doesn't censor nudity and swearing.

Although how would I know, since of course I have blacked out all of the English Canadian channels on my TV thanks to the handy ADD/ERASE function!

But judging from what I can see, it seems a lot more in line with "community standards" to show someone getting their head blown off à la CSI at 8 pm than showing a brief flash of a pair of boobs. Once again, this is often the result of simulcasting American programming (as you said), but the end result is still the same: more violence and less sex on mainstream TV.
Well an idea for English Canadian television would be to add more nudity since no one is watching for any reason now anyway.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 4:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by telyou View Post

Eh, it's not the largest literary festival in NA. Word on the Street is. And IFOA is still larger then Salon du Livre.
One should always be wary when such and such a cultural thingy in Toronto or elsewhere in Canada is billed "Canada's largest". Sure, IFOA bills itself as the biggest, as does Word on the Street apparently. Salon du livre de Montréal also bills itself as the biggest in North America.

Truth is, especially on a cultural level, what happens in French is often ignored as being "Canadian".

But, getting back to the subject of literary fairs, given the info that is out there on the Net, it is difficult to imagine that either Word on the Street or IFOA could be bigger than the Salon du livre de Montréal.

Le Salon du livre de Montreal has close to 1000 authors present and around 1000 exhibitors.

Word on the Street has about 250 exhibitors - couldn't find numbers on authors. IFOA has between 125 and 150 authors present.

Even the Salon du livre de Québec in Quebec City appears to be bigger in number of authors and exhibitors, and the "salons" in Trois-Rivières and Gatineau are pretty big as well. For example, the one in Gatineau had 300 authors present last year.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 4:28 PM

One must always remember that we Torontonians are fond of our superlatives...

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 4:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
One must always remember that we Torontonians are fond of our superlatives...
Yeah, when it comes to superlatives, you guys are truly "world-class"!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 5:06 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
I'm beginning to think when people talk about any subject they actually aren't familiar with on this board they should be required to write *IMHO* before posting.
Really? This is like asking for disclaimers on bathroom stalls.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 5:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
. But the amount of "cultured" people you see in Quebec as a whole, in general, is not comparable to anywhere else in Canada. Fashion and language is totally different in Quebec. Among students, I find the exception is more the trend in Quebec.
(...)
. But people-wise? Definite commonalities with European culture...like you mentioned, people are generally better dressed, better cultured, in Quebec.
I wouldn't say this stuff myself, but these sound like nice compliments. So thanks!

What I found when I moved to Quebec wasn't that people knew *more* culturally, but rather that they took quite a few of their cultural cues from different sources compared to other North Americans.

It's not so much that they are in tune with more stuff, but rather that they know *different* stuff.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 7:13 PM

Quote:
So you've been to more than 100 cities but obviously have never been to Paris, London, Barcelona, Madrid, Munich, Vienna, Berlin, Amsterdam, Las Vegas, New York, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, etc.?

Because all of these are more vibrant than Sydney (which I have been to and really liked, BTW)...

Are most of these 100 cities in, like, the central part of North America or something?
I've been to all those cities except Las Vegas. I also lived in Berlin for just under 1 year and it's not what i would call a very vibrant city. The more than 100 cities is generally in Asia and Europe, considering i was born and lived there for 2 decades in Athens, which is far more vibrant then Barcelona, Madrid and Buenos Aires.

Again, i said IMO (in my opinion). You do understand that people can have a different opinion then you.
And btw, other than NY and Orlando i haven't been anywhere in the US, though i have to admit I'm not very fond of any of their cities. Again, IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada