HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 5:41 PM

MIAMI | Brickell Flatiron | 734 FT | 65 FLOORS

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/04/2...developer.html

http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/...rrn.Em.56.jpeg

Colombo teams with Russian developer on Brickell Flatiron condo

This is a rendering of the newly launched Brickell Flatiron condo tower.

This is a rendering of the newly launched Brickell Flatiron condo tower. CATAPULT 13
BY MARTHA BRANNIGAN
MBRANNIGAN@MIAMIHERALD.COM
Veteran Miami developer Ugo Colombo is finalizing negotiations to jointly develop a high-end condominium, the Brickell Flatiron, with Russian developer Vladislav Doronin of Capital Group.

A new rendering of the Brickell Flatiron project shows a flowing, curvy structure soaring 65 stories on a triangular lot at South Miami Avenue and Brickell Plaza.

Plans for the fledgling partnership include developing a second tower on a lot Doronin controls at Brickell Plaza and Eighth Street, according to Colombo, of CMC Group Inc.

“The idea is to join forces and jointly develop the Flatiron and a second building, which has to be designed in the future,” Colombo said.

Doronin, a billionaire developer sometimes called Russia’s Donald Trump, has drawn paparazzi attention for, among other things, keeping company with supermodel Naomi Campbell; media reports said their relationship ended last year.

Colombo plans to launch sales of units at the Brickell Flatiron, 1001 S. Miami Ave., on Tuesday. The Flatiron name — most famously associated with the iconic Flatiron building at Fifth Avenue and Broadway in Manhattan — comes from the triangular shape’s resemblance to the old-fashioned clothing flatirons that were heated on stoves.

The project — which comes as the Brickell neighborhood is in the midst of a condo building boom — is planned to include 552 units and 40,000 square feet of retail development, including restaurant, lounge and shop space.

The 750-foot skyscraper is designed with floor-to-ceiling glass exteriors throughout the units, which will feature 11-foot-deep, elliptical balconies.

“Working with a triangle is not easy,” said Luis Revuelta, the architect who has designed projects for Colombo for more than two decades. “It required studying a lot of options in order to get the highest efficiency for the parking and to see how it all interacted with the core.”

Colombo said the project — his first major undertaking since the recession — “has great access to the street.” He recently returned from his native Italy, where he was shopping for materials for the project, including “good quality” marble and kitchen and bath materials, he said.

“I’m very hands-on. I like to get involved in the details,” said Colombo, whose earlier projects in Miami include Epic and Santa Maria.

The building will have a rooftop swimming pool, a gym and spa, plus an outdoor lap pool on the 18th floor.

Units will have an average size of 1,250 square feet. Plans for penthouse units are yet to be announced.

Prices, Colombo said, will be “in line with other upper-end projects in the area.”

The developer plans to use the Latin American financing model that has been used in the current round of condo projects, relying on large deposits from unit buyers to fund much of the construction.

CMC will require a 20 percent deposit from buyers upon signing a contract, 10 percent at groundbreaking, 10 percent when construction reaches the 18th floor pool level and 10 percent at top-off.

The developer is building a sales office on the site and plans to handle sales in-house. Colombo said he expects to break ground “by year-end, maybe before.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/04/2...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 12:02 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Could the title be changed: MIAMI | Brickell Flatiron | 750 ft | 65 fl

http://miami.curbed.com/uploads/Bric...gfor%20web.jpg

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 2:07 PM

Beautiful! Very rarely does a condo deliver big attention. Love it and can't wait to watch it to rise.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 6:18 PM
Denver

Great looking tower.

It is too bad that Miami has such horrible urban form. I was shocked when I visited in November.... 700 foot towers surrounded by strip malls, drive thrus and parking lots. What is with that??

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
Great looking tower.

It is too bad that Miami has such horrible urban form. I was shocked when I visited in November.... 700 foot towers surrounded by strip malls, drive thrus and parking lots. What is with that??

I think you're probably exaggerating a bit, but will yield to Miamians on this.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 11:00 PM

Awesome. 65 Starship Enterprises stacked on top of each other.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Great looking tower.

It's called being a city that is just over 118 years old and was planned with the Automobile in mind.
That being said Miami is still a very dense and compact city even though the suburbs do suck.
As somebody who came from the NYC metro Miami hardly "sucks" in a urban form compared to other cities in the South.
Been to Orlando or Atlanta yet?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 8:18 PM
Denver

I realize that my post sounded a bit more offensive and insulting to Miami than I intended.

It is a world class city. I'm from Denver, so I shouldn't even be talking shit about Miami. Miami is in a whole other ballgame.

However, I still did find the massive condo towers with strip malls and parking lots surrounding them to be somewhat strange. The hotel we stayed at in northern miami beach was 35+ stories tall, and across the street was an island of parking. Next to the hotel was a CVS and Dennys. Not trying to be rude or insulting, it just seemed a little strange to me. Like the development happened too fast and the surrounding areas couldn't keep up..

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 8:38 PM

Quote:
I realize that my post sounded a bit more offensive and insulting to Miami than I intended.

It is a world class city. I'm from Denver, so I shouldn't even be talking shit about Miami. Miami is in a whole other ballgame.

However, I still did find the massive condo towers with strip malls and parking lots surrounding them to be somewhat strange. The hotel we stayed at in northern miami beach was 35+ stories tall, and across the street was an island of parking. Next to the hotel was a CVS and Dennys. Not trying to be rude or insulting, it just seemed a little strange to me. Like the development happened too fast and the surrounding areas couldn't keep up..
No offense taken! The issue is that where you stayed is probably a different municipality with it's own zoning. There are over 35 "Incorporated" cities within Miami Dade county and the rest of the county is Un-Incorporated so the zoning laws are all over the place.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 8:47 PM

And Miami has 35+ story towers (even 55+ story towers) in suburbs like northern Miami Beach (actually sounds like he is describing Sunny Isles Beach).

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 7:18 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

New Renderings:

======================================
May 1, 2014
http://miami.curbed.com/archives/201...renderings.php

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 7:27 PM

That's just sex + power there.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 12:31 AM

It's funny, i think we all have at least one place in our cities where we could say, "dude, a flatiron tower would be perfect here!"

Beautiful design, btw.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 1:14 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

A night time rendering of the roof:

Can you imagine having a party up there. Get some bottles, maybe some Armin Van Buuren as a DJ, and you got yourself a Miami Scene.

Credit: http://miami.curbed.com/archives/201...-rendering.php

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 4:04 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
It's funny, i think we all have at least one place in our cities where we could say, "dude, a flatiron tower would be perfect here!"

Beautiful design, btw.
Doesn't seem very flatirony to me though.

Still like it anyway.

Old Posted May 10, 2014, 8:44 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

New renderings and a comparison to the Flat Iron in NYC.

Video Link

Old Posted May 10, 2014, 8:45 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

High Quality Renderings: BTW, notice the Miami Density. The Manhattan of the South if this trend of skyscraper building continues, and its only accelerating!

http://i.imgur.com/6N8ON4J.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/36ZhzTo.jpg

Old Posted May 10, 2014, 11:54 PM

[QUOTE=chris08876;6572754]High Quality Renderings: BTW, notice the Miami Density. The Manhattan of the South if this trend of skyscraper building continues, and its only accelerating!

Well, I don't know. It is called Manhattan of the south because of the concentration of international financial firms located there. I took a virtual drive on google maps down Brickell to see what it looks like these days. The number of high rises is great but I certainly would not equate it with Manhattan like density ... not even close. Certainly could get there though.

Old Posted May 10, 2014, 11:57 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

True. But, compared to anywhere in the South, its the closest thing to Manhattan. Not to be taken literally though its more of spirited language. If we do count the metropolitan area, there are more highrises than most of the states combined in the South. South Florida has more high rises under construction, in demo, and proposed with a great likelihood to be built than two Torontos combined. High Rises being 12 Stories are greater. A lot of them go unnoticed though. My goal is to try to bring awareness of the great boom occurring in South Florida; Not just Miami but the surrounding metropolitan area.

Also, check out the Fort Lauderdale compilations. Tons of projects as well. I think I will start including Palm beach in that section as it is nearby Ft.Lauderdale. No sense in making another thread for it .

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 9:36 PM
Editor

To me the built form is more like a junior version of Chicago the way all the highrises are close together with mostly flat areas outside of that also they way the buildings stretch out along the waterfront.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
High Quality Renderings: BTW, notice the Miami Density. The Manhattan of the South if this trend of skyscraper building continues, and its only accelerating!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive