HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 12:18 PM
New Yorker for life

The renderings may still be conceptual, but its basically what will be built. I see more here to be excited about than not.

Anyway, people in Toronto can learn more about the development soon...

http://hudsonyards.eventbrite.com/#

Big City, Big Ideas: Hudson Yards

School of Public Policy and Governance, Institute on Municipal Finance and Governance, Urban Strategies, Global City Indicators, and Department of Geography and Planning
Wednesday, October 24, 2012 from 6:45 PM to 8:30 PM (EDT)
Toronto, Ontario

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Closer attention has to be given to the overall aesthetic of not only the site as a whole but the buildings individually. The designs look mediocre and messy at best given the names who designed them. The coach tower also has lost a lot of appeal due to the height reduction. This has to be refined.
In this economy, just be lucky something is being built in the first place.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 3:24 PM

As much as I like the idea of an outdoor observation platform like that, it simply does not go well with the building. It looks busy and awkward. So much so that I now prefer the smaller tower.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 4:31 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

This development is getting better and better. What an exciting time for NYC's next building boom.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
In this economy, just be lucky something is being built in the first place.
I'd rather nothing be built rather then a mess. Do it right or don't do it at all. Just look at what "this economy" did to the WTC.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 6:08 PM
FriskyDingo

So I thought I remembered that the deck construction was going to start in Oct-Nov time frame. Does anyone have anything more specific as to when this will begin? To me the engineering of the deck on to which a city will be built, excites me as much as any aspect of this project yet. I doubt I'm alone on that!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 6:22 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

wow -- hmm, my first impression is the two towers to the west (that is, the ds+r apt tower and the childs tower) are more intriguing than coach or the scissor twins. maybe because unlike the others they are true first impressions?

i also like the view platform or platforms -- why not? taking advantage of those views will trump any slight awkwardness in appearance.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 8:08 PM

This is a big deal! Overall, very positive.

I especially like Northwest tower with the four cylinders.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 9:44 PM
World Machine

I was on the NY Waterway today, heading to and from Jersey, and I had a prime view of the site. I was struck by how dramatic of an impact this development, among others in the area, will have on the Hudson River.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 11:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
wow -- hmm, my first impression is the two towers to the west (that is, the ds+r apt tower and the childs tower) are more intriguing than coach or the scissor twins. maybe because unlike the others they are true first impressions?

i also like the view platform or platforms -- why not? taking advantage of those views will trump any slight awkwardness in appearance.
The platform striking out from the side like that is unexpected visually, which is what I think makes it a success. It's like an open platform out into thin air, a thousand feet up. Easily the most thrilling thing to come to the New York skyline since observation decks were first built in the City.

The two additional towers, though not flushed out in detail, are easily two stand out towers for New York. One of the things about the west side is that they are building a New York for the future. In other parts of Manhattan, designs tend to blend into the current fabric, rarely standing out as much. Over on the west side, we get a fresh look at the "New York" skyscraper. On the western half of the railyards there will be one more major office tower and a even more residential towers that haven't been designed yet. Let's hope they stick with keeping things a little fresh, and don't resort to "Battery Park City" north.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The platform striking out from the side like that is unexpected visually, which is what I think makes it a success. It's like an open platform out into thin air, a thousand feet up. Easily the most thrilling thing to come to the New York skyline since observation decks were first built in the City.

It would be the fourth, I think, Observation deck in NYC (after ESB, WTC and Rockefeller Center, or am I missing another?, Ah, and you may also have to add the observation wheel, if it is finally build) So, it has to have some special feature to attract patrons, something the other observation decks don't have, and that would be precisely that protruding platform. It could even have some part of its floor made of glass, like the Grand Canyon Skywalk. That would be something really unique.

Could be something like this

Although I think that if I step on that thing, I would keep a firm grip on the handrail ...

Last edited by CCs77; Oct 10, 2012 at 1:50 AM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 2:05 AM

All the new buildings look great but Childs's building looks especially beautiful.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 1:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
It would be the fourth, I think, Observation deck in NYC (after ESB, WTC and Rockefeller Center, or am I missing another?, Ah, and you may also have to add the observation wheel, if it is finally build) So, it has to have some special feature to attract patrons, something the other observation decks don't have, and that would be precisely that protruding platform. It could even have some part of its floor made of glass, like the Grand Canyon Skywalk. That would be something really unique.
It really does need something to draw people over to the west side that otherwise wouldn't. But similarly to the way different observation decks in different parts of Manhattan draw people, I think it would be enough appeal there to have long lines as well, hopefully not as long as the ESB though, and assuming it's generally open to the public and not just "event space". I don't think it would erode demand from the other decks, it would just add to it.

The Sears (Willis) Tower in Chicago now has a somewhat similar feature...

tharpo

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post

Could be something like this

Although I think that if I step on that thing, I would keep a firm grip on the handrail ...
70 Pine Street has an observation deck but sadly it's closed to the public. I'd love to go see it!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 12:17 AM
World Machine

Great update! It's very exciting and encouraging to see that type of progress.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 11:02 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.leadersmag.com/issues/201...n-Fox-KPF.html

KPF’s Global Impact
An Interview with A. Eugene Kohn, Chairman, Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates (KPF)

Quote:
KPF has been instrumental in the development of many buildings in New York City. Would you highlight some these projects and your outlook for growth in the market?

KPF has designed buildings in more than 35 countries – many of which are significant icons in their respective cities..........As exciting as it is to work in foreign countries, it is still most rewarding to work in the United States, particularly in New York City and New York State where we have completed more than 60 projects. Our first projects in New York were for the American Broadcasting Company on New York’s Upper West Side. Some examples of over 36 years’ worth of work in New York include 712 Fifth Avenue; 1325 Avenue of the Americas; 745 Seventh Avenue – originally Morgan Stanley, then Lehman Brothers, and now Barclays Headquarters; 505 Fifth Avenue – an exciting office building for the CIT Group; and, most recently, One Jackson Square, an award-winning residential building.

Currently, we are working on the Hudson Yards, having designed the 12-million-square-foot master plan of office, retail, residential, and hotel space. Within our master plan, we are currently designing the first two office towers. We are also designing another office tower on 33rd Street, just north of the rail yards. In addition, KPF is doing two new residential buildings, 27 Wooster Street and another along the High Line. We have done a number of renovations and upgrades to existing buildings such as 640 Fifth Avenue, 1515 Broadway, and 280 Park Avenue. Most recently, we were commissioned for a special new office building in midtown.

KPF is involved in the development of Hudson Yards. What is your outlook for that project and the impact it will have on New York City?

Hudson Yards – from 30th to 33rd Street and 10th to 12th Avenue – is being developed by Related Companies and Oxford Properties Group and includes terrific office, residential, hotel, retail, cultural, and academic facilities surrounding wonderful public spaces varying in size, surface materials, and landscaping. The area is served by Penn Station, the Port Authority Bus Terminal, and the extension of the 7 Train Line – right to 33rd Street between 10th and 11th Avenues. For pedestrian access, the High Line connects to this development at 30th Street, just west of 10th Avenue.

We are currently designing two large office towers and the retail enclosure, which totals approximately 5 million square feet. With great new buildings, major public spaces – hard and green surfaces, fine retail, food and dining, a school, cultural facilities, excellent views, and very good transportation, the project promises to be a great success. It already is attracting major tenants and is a favorite of Mayor Bloomberg.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 1:33 PM

Holy crap these new renders are amazing. Can't wait to move in (har har). We drove by the site the other day and i pointed out the rendering to my BF and told him "that's the new Coach headquarters." His response was "Wow, that's a lot of bags!"

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 9:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Holy crap these new renders are amazing.
There's a double-page spread in NY Magazine of the tallest tower with the observation deck. There's a lot going on up there, and it will be spectacular if built to those plans.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Here's an interesting question.

The western yards massing study looks very cramped and dense with many short towers crammed in together. Why is it that they did not allocate more square footage to the Eastern yards (allowing for the two residential towers to be taller and larger) in order to allow more open space/park land on the Western side through elimination of a building or two? I wonder why this plan was done in this manner. I suppose NIMBY factors pertaining to the height of all the towers on the East side or a lack of interest in open space on the West by the developers? Ideally the Western yard would have been 4 tall towers surrounding a park rather than the large amount there now. I don't see the logic in reducing the height towards the river if it leads to less open space for residents to enjoy. The only thing would be blocking of views from the towers on the Eastern side?
Shorter towers on the west allow better views of the river from the eastern, taller towers.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
Shorter towers on the west allow better views of the river from the eastern, taller towers.
We don't know whether the western towers will be taller or shorter. They're just placeholders at this point.

My guess is that the western towers will probably be taller than those on the eastern side, because the neighborhood will be more established at that point, and there will be more economic logic to multiple residential supertalls.

But we'll have to wait a few years and see.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive