HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 8:01 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Won't be long before he releases the official rendering.
It kind of feels like the recession is just about over, seeing all these projects coming to pass. I'm so giddy with excitement for the official renders!!!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 10:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
I'm so giddy with excitement for the official renders!!!
This is probably the closest we have to a rendering right now, with only the two office towers of the eastern yards showing actual designs. The "x" marks the first tower.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 1:35 AM
BANNED

I believe that the renderings shown thus far is basically what we'll get. It seems that the initial office buildings won't be exciting as Related is trying to lease them at cost simply to get things moving at the site.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 9:26 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
This is probably the closest we have to a rendering right now, with only the two office towers of the eastern yards showing actual designs. The "x" marks the first tower.
Oh wow, I knew it was only to show massing but I didn't know they had two towers ready. Anyways, I still can't wait for the official renderings
I hope the towers are not cheap and bland. It's such a large project, it deserves to stand out!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 1:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Oh wow, I knew it was only to show massing but I didn't know they had two towers ready. Anyways, I still can't wait for the official renderings
I hope the towers are not cheap and bland. It's such a large project, it deserves to stand out!
You'll notice the tower I marked has a large and bulky lower half (for the 1 msf or so of office space), topped by a slender residential wing. Seems to fit the description. You'll also notice the other tower is taller, larger, and just as bulky. Together it looks as massive as the Manhattan West development that it will practically border. In fact, this development is shaping up to look more and more like Brookfield's proposal for the site...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 2:24 PM
BANNED

I'm fairly confident that the offices depicted here are what will be built (i.e., 800-900 foot tall boxes). Related has never built innovative buildings. Their nicest strctures are very conservatives ones with nice details by RAM Stern. Also, Related has repeated said that it will rent the initial offices at cost with the intent that they, and the retail component, will provide some life to the area to make the planned high-end apartments marketable.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 2:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I'm fairly confident that the offices depicted here are what will be built
Well, you're wrong on that. That's the old conceptual rendering.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 2:57 PM
BANNED

I hope that you're right. I believe that KPF will design the office towers and that Stern and Aquitectonica will design the residentials and hotel. Generally, KPF does nice work. Nevertheless, the image that I posted is what currently appears on Related's website for this project: http://www.related.com/ourcompany/pr...est-side-yards. I think that the best hope for innovative supertalls in this area lies with properties owned by Sherwood Equities and others on 10th Ave. adjacent to the Yards. No developer will fail to use an inch of air rights.

Last edited by RobertWalpole; Feb 13, 2011 at 5:07 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 5:21 PM
Rey

Smile

Quote:
I hope that you're right. However, that's the very image that Related has on its website for this project: http://www.related.com/ourcompany/pr...est-side-yards. I think that the best hope for innovative supertalls in this area lies with properties owned by Sherwood Equities and others on 10th Ave. adjacent to the Yards. No developer will fail to use an inch of air rights.

However for the future, you prefer that Sherwood Equities builds a tower like this

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 14, 2011 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 7:30 PM
BANNED

The Sherwood building clearly is a massing concept. They have stated repeatedly that a development of this magnitude is beyond their expertise and that they will seek a partner.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 4:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony73 View Post
However for the future, you prefer that Sherwood Equities builds a tower like this
This is about the railyards proposal, let's leave it at that.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 8:11 PM
Rey

Smile

Quote:
This is about the railyards proposal, let's leave it at that.
Yes, but this is a only proposal and not a definitive project. I think that Sherwood Equities can change this with a new solution.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 11:28 PM
BANNED

From Curbed.com on 14 Feb 2011:

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/0...dson_yards.php

FAR WEST SIDE—Related's Stephen Ross said this year he's planning to rent out 3.5 million square feet of space in Hudson Yards office buildings that don't yet exist, but only Coach has publicly shown interest. With whom is Related negotiating? According to one tipster, Related "has deals" with Credit Suisse and "maybe" Hearst, but we'll file that under deep rumormongering. Does Hearst need more space? [CurbedWire Staff]

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 15, 2011 at 2:13 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 11:53 PM
World Machine

I wouldn’t be terribly surprised about Hearst; it isn’t unheard of for a company to quickly outgrow their current space.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 2:59 AM

Huh doesn't Hearst have the Hearst Tower a 56 story building in Midtown, and the last I read they were going to rent room in the Freedom Tower if my information from my readings are correct.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Huh doesn't Hearst have the Hearst Tower a 56 story building in Midtown, and the last I read they were going to rent room in the Freedom Tower if my information from my readings are correct.
Hearst is a huge company, and their HQ tower can't contain all their workers.

I know lots of folks who work at Credit Suisse. They have big issues with lack of space (their World HQ is at 11 Madison) so I would not be shocked if they move to Hudson Yards.

11 Madison, however, is a fabulous building. Probably one of the best office buildings anywhere.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 11:44 AM
BANNED

I think that Credit Suisse's world HQ is in Switzerland. Their US HQ is 11 Madison. 11 Madison is beautiful, but high-profile tenants like Credit Suisse want new space. This is good news for the Yards.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 2:15 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony73 View Post
Yes, but this is a only proposal and not a definitive project. I think that Sherwood Equities can change this with a new solution.
Sherwood Equities is not involved in this development, and it is a definitive project. It's listed under "proposals" because all projects go here until construction begins.

Quote:
According to one tipster, Related "has deals" with Credit Suisse and "maybe" Hearst, but we'll file that under deep rumormongering. Does Hearst need more space? [CurbedWire Staff]
Just rumors or not, it's good that there's at least talk of potential tenants moving to the railyards again.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 6:02 AM

Quote:
I think that Credit Suisse's world HQ is in Switzerland. Their US HQ is 11 Madison. 11 Madison is beautiful, but high-profile tenants like Credit Suisse want new space. This is good news for the Yards.
Credit Suisse is a Swiss company incorporated in Switzerland, so their technical HQ is in Zurich, but the actual HQ (in terms of day-to-day functioning) is at 11 Madison.

The CEO, Brad Dougan, is based at 11 Madison, as are most of their business group heads.

Zurich isn't even the HQ of their European operations. London is the main base for Europe.

I have been inside 11 Madison a number of times, and IMO it's fantastic. Really, really nice building.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 11:27 AM
BANNED

I agree with you re: 11 Madison is a beautiful building. I wonder if C/S left, if it would be converted to condos.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive