HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I agree with you re: 11 Madison is a beautiful building. I wonder if C/S left, if it would be converted to condos.
I think 11 Madison works best as office space, because it has massive floor plates. I'm not even sure it would be possible to convert it to another space, because you can't have windowless condo or hotel units.

The building also has a ton of amenities for corporate users. I think there are something like 4 or 5 massive sub-basements, with a huge health club, conference and dining facilities, etc. It's like a mini-city in there.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 7:15 AM
New Yorker for life

A good shot of the railyards and surrounding sites...

mavmeldrum

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 3:13 AM

theres a shit load of work going on at the former WPC site,just took a look over the boards about an hour ago and quite honestly it looks like the WTC site did 3 years ago. lost of cassion drills and bull dozers.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 4:44 AM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
theres a shit load of work going on at the former WPC site,just took a look over the boards about an hour ago and quite honestly it looks like the WTC site did 3 years ago. lost of cassion drills and bull dozers.
What's WPC? Sorry for my ignorance.
On topic, I'm glad this region of the city is getting redeveloped.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 7:09 AM
YIMBY co-founder

The WPC is a this tower: 555 West 33rd St - World Product Centre.
iirc the site is now used in the construction of the 7 line extension.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 11:58 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Yeah, Extell will eventually build an office tower there. Maybe even the WPC can come back to the site, it's been very quiet for them.
They haven't killed the website yet: http://worldproductcentre.com/

This is the rendering for that station that would also form the plaza of the WPC site..the railyards renderings are just placeholders.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 7:21 PM
Metal Up Your !

^^^^ I see, thanks Swede and NYGuy.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 2:10 AM
King

As the design matures I think we will be able to get a better picture of plaza details and other features like in the pictures above. Reminiscent of the quality different between early WTC rendering and more recent ones.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 2:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lion View Post
As the design matures I think we will be able to get a better picture of plaza details and other features like in the pictures above.
Reminiscent of the quality different between early WTC rendering and more recent ones.
That plaza itself may or may not be the actual design we are getting. The same team designing the new Hudson Boulevard and Park
is designing the open spaces of the railyards..

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 2:49 AM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/newyork/artic...1-times-square

Far West Side commercial growth may spur Midtown residential conversions

left: Robert Futterman, Jay Cross, Larry Silverstein, Stephen Siegel, Ronald Sernau, Laurie Golub and Steven Pozycki

March 03, 2011
By Adam Pincus

Quote:
Amid much back-slapping and cheerleading about the growth of Manhattan's West Side at a panel yesterday that included developer Larry Silverstein, there was a hint that change could be afoot for the East Side of Midtown in the years to come.

The millions of square feet of new office development being planned and built on the West Side in projects such as SJP Properties' 11 Times Square and Related Companies' Hudson Yards could lead owners of older Midtown office buildings -- many of which are on the East Side -- to convert them into residential apartments, following a pattern seen Downtown.

"A lot of [Midtown East Side] buildings are old, and are approaching obsolescence, and they will be upgraded," Stephen Siegel, chairman of global brokerage at commercial firm CB Richard Ellis, said, during the panel, which covered West Side development. "Downtown you had the same thing, and a lot of those buildings were taken down or converted to residential."

But Siegel, one of eight speakers at the event sponsored by publisher Bisnow at 11 Times Square, said it was not a zero-sum game.

"This is not robbing Peter to pay Paul," he said. "If you can't believe that 40 million square feet [of new development] can be absorbed by growth and new tenants in the next five to 10 years, then you don't believe in the city at all."

Another speaker, Silverstein, president and CEO of Silverstein properties, gave a brief history of his development of One River Place and Silver Towers, two large rental buildings on the Far West Side. He said he paid what seemed an exorbitant price of $20 million in 1984 for the entire city block between 41st and 42nd streets, and 11th and 12th avenues. At the time it was zoned single-story industrial.

"But I had a belief that a square block on 42nd Street had enormous value, if you could get it rezoned. And it cried out for a rezoning," he said. Ultimately, he got the city's approval, and built the projects in phases, with his 935-unit Silver Towers opening in 2009.

The other panelists included Scott Stringer, the Manhattan borough president, who gave opening remarks; Steven Pozycki, chairman and CEO of SJP Properties; Robert Futterman, chairman and CEO of Robert K. Futterman & Associates; Ron Sernau, partner at law firm Proskauer Rose; Laurie Golub, managing director of business affairs at Africa-Israel USA; and Jay Cross, president of Related Hudson Yards. The panel was moderated by Bruce Mosler, chairman of global brokerage for Cushman & Wakefield.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 10:09 PM
BANNED

The current model is worse than the prior renderings. Quite sad.

http://therealdeal.com/newyork/artic...dent-jay-cross

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
The current model is worse than the prior renderings. Quite sad.

http://therealdeal.com/newyork/artic...dent-jay-cross
WTF WAS THAT!???????! that was horrible!!!! im done...after seeing that, the the Hudson Yards is dead to me.....

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 11:26 PM
BROOKLYN

I think I need to see rendering to make a final judgement on that model.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 11:51 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey View Post
I think I need to see rendering to make a final judgement on that model.
Yeah, I think I need to too. The models look ugly but I'm sure with color and glass, the renders will probably alleviate our worries a bit.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 2:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Once this model was revealed, I expected the office portion of the development would be what we were getting. The other towers haven't been designed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

More from the video...

Bulky yet slender buildings.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 8:40 PM

why cant architecture in the U.S be as astounding as the new buildings inn Asia....

i know we have only seen the massing and not a real rendering but the massing is just terrible and the center piece tower should have been in the middle imo....

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 8:53 PM

Smile

Well, I think that tower will be 1100 ft tall.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 9:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
why cant architecture in the U.S be as astounding as the new buildings inn Asia....

i know we have only seen the massing and not a real rendering but the massing is just terrible and the center piece tower should have been in the middle imo....
I am fairly sure that this is not a massing model. This is what we're getting.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 9:04 PM

Quote:
I am fairly sure that this is not a massing model. This is what we're getting.
well it still sucks....thank God for Girasole and the other supertalls that will surround this....

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 10:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Sound like you expect too much. This is NY. You should be familiar with the NY developer MO by now. If you want Asia, you should just go there. Stop wishing for Asia on Hudson. You should be happy NY is getting anything at all after the economy nearly collapsed. NY builds for practicality, especially in office development. NY builds to maximize profits not to innovate, make statements, or improve the quality of design in the city. That only rarely occurs. Only a fool would expect more from the majority of NY developers, especially Related.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive