HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
And thanks for the links A4REgina, my flickr account has seen a much needed increase in traffic the last little while.
no problem they are great!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 5:27 PM

I was born and raised in Whitmore Park, so I've got fond memories of South Albert in the 80's. I remember when...

...Dairy Queen was located in the building that currently houses Subway/TCBY. They were on two stories and had a big staircase leading to the second story, which had a big fishtank at the top of the stairs.

...A&W was a Drive-In and you could pull up and order through a speaker.

...A&W upgraded to an eat-in restaurant that had a big orange gas fireplace in the middle of the eating area.

...a Shell gas station was located just north of the Canadian Tire store and had a drive-through Oil Change shop

...Robins Donuts was located just south of the Canadian Tire in what is now the CAA store

...Bi-Rite Drug Store was the main drug store in the south end and was in that horribly small mini-mall at the corner of Albert & Gordon. Then Bi-Rite was bought out by Shopper's Drug Mart.

...Boston Pizza was Gino's Pizza, which had wierd ramps going up and down to different seating levels and a great pizza buffet

...Buffalo Bills Arcade was located behind Gino's. They offered a Birthday Party Package which was $25 and all the machines had the coin thing open for 3 hours so you could just hit the coin slot button a thousand times and play as much as you wanted.

...the south end library was called the Sunset Library and was in the Sunset mall along side Greko's Restaurant. Then they closed it down and moved to the Southland Mall, renaming it the George Bothwell Library.

...the video store on the east side service road was ACME video, but then got bought out by Roger's Video.

... McGavin's Bakery sold great smelling fresh bread and the Brown Derby was one of the fanciest south end restaurants in the Albert Park mall on Gordon & Queen

Haha, I could keep going but this post is getting way too long.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 7:42 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Name of the chain that took over two of the three Burger Kings (South Albert and Victoria Avenue East) for less than a year when Burger King "pulled" out of Regina in the late 80s? I keep thinking it was an Australian chain.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 7:54 PM

It was something rediculous. "Bob's Burgers" or something like that. It wasn't a recognizable name.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
It was something rediculous. "Bob's Burgers" or something like that. It wasn't a recognizable name.
I think it was "Hungry Jack's" the Australian Burger King.

I used to love ACME video. I seem to remember it had a coin-operated rocket ship inside. Then it turned into Rogers and my family was banned after my dad caused a scene because he was unhappy with the late fees.

I remember when Price Club (Costco) used to be pretty much the last building on Victoria Ave East.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 8:56 PM

How about,

... I remember when the Southland Mall connected the two ends of it's L shape and made a Triangle shape instead, while also adding the food court, the library and later on the movie theatre.

...I remember when Earl's moved out and then became Poverino's, and then became a mexican restaurant and then became Wok Box.

...I remember when Consumers Distributing was the king of Big Box sales, but then bowed out once Walmart took over Woolco and places like Price Club opened up in the east end. The CD building then became Replay's Arcade which had a huge ballpit in the middle of the arcade machines and a cafeteria. When that went under, Tony Roma's bought the place and renovated it and added that angled out entry way off of the front of the building.

...I remember when Fenders opened up next door to CD and you could sit in a half-cut '55 Cadillac while waiting for your table and could order gigantic hamburgers, but then eventually went under and was replaced by Pasta Prima.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 9:09 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Most excellent jarring of memories. It was called Jakes, was it not?

Wasn't Buffalo Bills Arcade on south Rae Street first called Captain Jacks?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
How about,

...I remember when Earl's moved out and then became Poverino's, and then became a mexican restaurant and then became Wok Box.

But did you remember that it originally was the Chinese Palace before it was an Earls? Actually now it is Plum Gardens.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
...when the west harvest inn on south albert used to be a Sandman Inn, and where the Blockbuster is used to be a pool!...

You forgot that it was originally the Bell City Motor Inn and has the Pig & Whistle Pub attached to it (where Blockbuster is).

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
But did you remember that it originally was the Chinese Palace before it was an Earls? Actually now it is Plum Gardens.
Whoops. That's what I meant. Wok Box is in the old Pizza Hut.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:11 PM
arf

I remember the two Consumer's Distributing stores, one South Albert where Tony Roma's is and the other just North of the McDonald's at the corner of Dewdney. I also remember the Bonanza or was it Ponderosa that turned into Melrose Place. I'm shocked that Melrose is still there.

Another old film scan I took. The skyline from maybe 1990, it's missing Tower II again. I've got a lot from that 1988-1995 range.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:43 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I remember the two Consumer's Distributing stores, one South Albert where Tony Roma's is and the other just North of the McDonald's at the corner of Dewdney. I also remember the Bonanza or was it Ponderosa that turned into Melrose Place. I'm shocked that Melrose is still there.
No way. Melrose Place was Villa Pizza (one large all-dressed pizza, large fries with gravy and pitcher of Coke, please) which was some sort of burger restaurant before that. Ponderosa was where Earls is now. There was a Bonanza on South Albert, but I remember it to be in the building where Pasta Prima is now.

A good childhood memory is going to the old Dairy Queen that sat likely where the Burger King parking lot is now and getting a cherry sundae in a plastic football helmet. And picking up KFC on Albert Street, which was just south of the Imperial 400. And seeing father's old Audi get smoked off making a u-ball in front of Lakeside Chrysler while we were at 7-11 getting Slurpees.

I'ma hungry now.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 11:12 PM
arf

I must have killed too many brain cells at Checkers. Checkers. The Landmark Inn.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo View Post
Most excellent jarring of memories. It was called Jakes, was it not?

Wasn't Buffalo Bills Arcade on south Rae Street first called Captain Jacks?
Cactus Jacks, then you went to Bi-rite to play pac man with you slushee.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 3:58 AM

All right, I think I can sort out a few of my own memories here.

Lakeside Chrysler was where Sobeys is now.

Both the north and south Geno's locations became Boston Pizza. Previously, the only Boston Pizza was in the space now occupied by Bonzini's.

The Southland Mall Safeway was originally a Dominion. The other Dominion locations I specifically remember were the Eaton-Dominion Mall (which became a Produce World, owned by Safeway, and is now Value Village) and 7th Avenue North, current home of the Brick.

When the Western Canadian franchise owner for Burger King ended his relationship with the chain, they all became the short-lived "Jake's."

The north Melrose Place location was an A&W Drive-In.

I'll try to think of more, and welcome any corrections.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post

The Southland Mall Safeway was originally a Dominion. The other Dominion locations I specifically remember were the Eaton-Dominion Mall (which became a Produce World, owned by Safeway, and is now Value Village) and 7th Avenue North, current home of the Brick.

The new Sobey's on 23rd ave use to be a Dominion before becomming an IGA,,,, way long time ago.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post

Lakeside Chrysler was where Sobeys is now.

Both the north and south Geno's locations became Boston Pizza. Previously, the only Boston Pizza was in the space now occupied by Bonzini's.

When the Western Canadian franchise owner for Burger King ended his relationship with the chain, they all became the short-lived "Jake's."

The north Melrose Place location was an A&W Drive-In.

Good memory...Jake's was the name. I was one of their best customers...sort of lived on fast food in that era.

Melrose was the A&W, complete with fireplace in the middle.

Boston Pizza was actually a little north of Bonzinni's in that strip mall.

Bonzinni's may have started out life as a Crock & Block restaurant, but I can't guarantee that one.

And the old Consumer's building is where Vision's is now located.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:09 AM

Not my alma mater, but Central Collegiate High School was once where the condo developments are now, bounded by College Ave., Scarth St., 15th Ave., and Hamilton St. Parts of the High School's façade are supposed to be incorporated into Winston Knoll Collegiate in NW Regina.

Last edited by Scruff Bucket; Jul 29, 2009 at 3:52 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:34 AM
Chilean like a villian

[QUOTE=babo;4379016]Most excellent jarring of memories. It was called Jakes, was it not?

Yes it was called Jakes, I remember going to the one on Albert St north across the street from Northgate Mall and they used the shiny colourful plastic cups that you can buy for picnics but the eerie thing was that most of the food was still eerily similar to BK and even some of the packaging was the same cause i commented to my brother who was with me "isnt this just bk without the logo?"

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:39 AM
Chilean like a villian

I remember when I was a kid most of the major grocery stores had a poor selection for buns so my dad used to take us to BUNS MASTERS but I was too little to remember where it was or if there was more than 1 location, any help???

I also remember countless convenience stores across this city that use to be called CIRCLE K's, the only location I can remember for sure is one on McCarthy Blvd

I remember that the Staples Call Centre on the north end of Winnipeg Street used to be SIAST and where SIAST currently is now used to be a Plains Hospital (funny enough i've been to both locations, worked at Staples Call Centre and took some classes at the current SIAST building AND also got stitches at the Plains Hospital that used to be where SIAST currently is.

Last edited by spictacular mcluvin; Jul 29, 2009 at 8:54 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan