HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
But he's not doing his job in Costa Rica. He's not doing anything. He has very limited contact and takes some paper doc's with him to look at. So no he's not doing his job at all. That's my problem. The process stalls when he's unavailable. Has been noted in the press it's hard to get things done.

Then you say if Premier's at your BBQ, you'll tell him to get back to work. I'd tell you to take a hike and get back to whatever job you have. Being Premier doesn't been being on the job 24/7. You're allowed to have personal time just like anyone else. Except when your personal times is 2 months out of Province and you're not really working. That's where my issue is. .
And I can't recall the last BBQ I've hosted. But if I go somewhere longer than a weekend, it's weeks. And I'm actively working while away. I'm sure he is too.

Of course he has personal time, and although I could be wrong about it, I trust someone with his track record to better manage their work/vacation than Trudeau or Selinger.

The point was that everyone wants someone they can relate to, and they hate someone they cannot relate to if that person has money. The millionaire with a millionaire yacht spending time on his yacht is not relatable at all, and that pisses people off for some reason. But everyone neglects that it probably took immense work and genius to achieve that. Maybe the name of this Yacht is Costa Rica?

Quote:
How much vacation time does the Premier have? Does he get 8 weeks? I don't think he does. So maybe half the time in Costa Rica is legit, the other half he should be back here working.

Pallister being a pompous ass doesn't help his cause at all. If he was being pompous, but was at the Leg for work everyday, okay some leniency. Being pompous and out of province, while you're the fucking Premier, no leniency. For his 5 years in office, he'll be out of province for almost a full year on personal time Costa Rica.

I don't really think Pallister is great. But we'll see how he does over the next few years. Clarity, I hate politics and politicians. Look at the states. A bunch of monkeys voting for Trump. Donald f'in Trump. Biggest crook in the world that guy. How's that for politics.
Of course his pompousness doesn't help him. I thought it was hilarious how Harper toyed with a hostile media, but that backfired too.

I don't think he should spend that much time away, but I'd argue to wait and see how much he's able to get done anyway. After all, results are what matter.

I also readily admit I'm only allowing him that slight courtesy because he's PC, which is miles ahead of Selinger and the dippers... who I'd fault if he took a sick day. Because he and his party are useless fools steering MB into oblivion. Pallister isn't my favourite conservative either, but won't have any trouble outperforming his predecessor handily.

I'm no trump supporter, but if you cared about criminality or the law you'd have zero issues with Trump compared to the Clintons. They are the shadiest leaders imagineable. Trump operates in the grey areas, Hillary in the back alleys of the underworld.

Problem with Trump is that he's a dickhead.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 5:18 AM
BANNED

During the supper hour news today they had a story with clips from both the NDP and Liberal interim leaders, wow just wow, both are both barely coherent, poorly spoken and come across as just plain dumb, don't think the Con.'s have anything to worry about for a very long time!

The NDP interim leader is terrible she kept calling someone pee-murr Palid-store! You think maybe a command of the English language would be prerequisite for the job?!?

Last edited by rrskylar; Mar 1, 2017 at 5:34 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 8:09 PM
BANNED

Anyone clueless enough to believe the NDP did any good in Manitoba aside from nearly bankrupting the province.

The Keeyask hydro generating station in northern Manitoba has ballooned to $8.7 billion from a previous estimate of $6.5 billion. So about $2000 extra on every single Manitoban's shoulders for the cost overruns, get ready for Ontario Hydro One cost increases in power!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Anyone clueless enough to believe the NDP did any good in Manitoba aside from nearly bankrupting the province.

The Keeyask hydro generating station in northern Manitoba has ballooned to $8.7 billion from a previous estimate of $6.5 billion. So about $2000 extra on every single Manitoban's shoulders for the cost overruns, get ready for Ontario Hydro One cost increases in power!
It's a good thing you "can't wait to leave!"

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 8:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
It's a good thing you "can't wait to leave!"
When I leave it will be with an exodus of people leaving this province. If you are mobile professional why would you stay here?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 9:39 PM
Heart of the Continent

You do realize that Manitoba is growing and doing well economically, right?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 9:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
You do realize that Manitoba is growing and doing well economically, right?
Doing well economically with a 1 $billion dollar deficit this year alone, $30 billion in debt with yearly transfer payments from Ottawa to the tune of $2 billion annually, yeah the province is a model of fiscal responsibility and success!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 9:58 PM
There is always a way

Despite this we are always on steady growth economically.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 10:32 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
When I leave it will be with an exodus of people leaving this province. If you are mobile professional why would you stay here?
There has always been an exodus from Manitoba and there always will be. There are just so many reasons.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 10:37 PM
the first stamp is free

As long as you live here in your productive wage earning/tax paying/child raising years and relocate in your retirement years - all the power to you! In that scenario, MB sucked all the economic gain out of you anyway.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 11:13 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Taxes for high income earners are rather similar in most provinces. It is the poor and those on fixed income that get the shit taxed out of them in Manitoba.

My advisor told me if I withdrew any RRSP while still here he would have me commited.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 11:31 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
There has always been an exodus from Manitoba and there always will be. There are just so many reasons.
And yet there continues to be net growth - some of the best in the country, in fact.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 2:49 PM

Quote:
So you fancy yourself as the Moses who is going lead us all to the promised land? No doubt parting the floodway on the way out?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 3:13 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Family, familiarity, natural setting, friends, etc. etc.

There are many reasons why people choose to stay or move. Financial and first-world-problem-politics aren't the only ones.

Why are you still here?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

There are many reasons why people choose to stay or move. Financial and first-world-problem-politics aren't the only ones.

Why are you still here?
But...but...but... if you uprooted your family and moved to Ontario you could save three grand in taxes on an income of $100K. Sure your hydro and insurance bills would go up and eat into that substantially and your mortgage would probably be a fair bit higher if you move to one of the large cities, but I'm sure you'd still be at least a few hundred bucks ahead. Isn't it totally worth it?!?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 5:24 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
But...but...but... if you uprooted your family and moved to Ontario you could save three grand in taxes on an income of $100K. Sure your hydro and insurance bills would go up and eat into that substantially and your mortgage would probably be a fair bit higher if you move to one of the large cities, but I'm sure you'd still be at least a few hundred bucks ahead. Isn't it totally worth it?!?
For me it isn't worth it. Also even as a retiree, I would probably stick around depending where my kids end up. Personally, I would rather be a part of the grand-kids lives, than move away.

But really, I think for most people it just comes down to the fact that moving is a lot of work, and it's usually just easier to stay put. Especially once the prospect of uprooting a family is involved.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Because there's great opportunity here for a young professional. All the old guys are retiring, so there's tons of potential.

Why would I move to Vancouver or Toronto, to make only a small fraction more money, if anything at all? To pay astronomical retail prices. Yes astronomical, refer to Sim City scale of property values haha.

I can visit those Cities, mostly Vancouver, not Toronto, if I want to. I'm happy here in Winnipeg. If I was going to think about moving elsewhere, it would most likely to another continent. Australia would be top of list for me.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

Why are you still here?
That last question isn't fair. We all have our roots.

I probably could move quite easily, but I have a lot of family here, and my wife is close to hers also. I'm not sure I could do that to my in-laws.

In the meantime, work here is great and there is zero reason that Winnipeg shouldn't try to be competitive.

The "if you don't like it, why don't you leave" perspective is not only preventing Winnipeg from reaching its potential, but it ignores people like myself who love it here, but deep down (if I'm honest with myself) are ITCHING to leave for Vancouver (in my case) or Cgy, TO, MTL, etc...

Quote:
Because there's great opportunity here for a young professional. All the old guys are retiring, so there's tons of potential.

Why would I move to Vancouver or Toronto, to make only a small fraction more money, if anything at all? To pay astronomical retail prices. Yes astronomical, refer to Sim City scale of property values haha.

I can visit those Cities, mostly Vancouver, not Toronto, if I want to. I'm happy here in Winnipeg. If I was going to think about moving elsewhere, it would most likely to another continent. Australia would be top of list for me.
You're right, Winnipeg is a great breeding ground for talent. There's no reason for young talent to leave Winnipeg for Vancouver. But we've lost a ton of top-tier experienced talent. Those that CAN afford to leave, whether financially or due to lack of family anchors... they LEAVE. Winnipeg has to acknowledge that.

Here's the other problem... NONE of the young talent from Vancouver or Toronto (well almost none) is even CONSIDERING moving to Winnipeg, regardless of real estate prices. Years back, while we were all trying to establish our careers, my friends from abroad all elected to stay in, or MOVE TO Vancouver or Toronto. Family and a good career in Winnipeg brought me home.

They all made less money than me and they all stuck it out in the larger markets, and damn, they're happy they did. Sure, they envied the lower housing prices, but they got the lives they wanted in the end, something Winnipeg seems not even bother trying to offer. Hence why I'm kicking and screaming for Winnipeg to move its own ass.

The talent didn't even consider coming to Winnipeg.

However, I somewhat share your sentiment for moving. If I was moving, I ain't moving shit for Calgary, or something like that. It would only be a big move, like Europe or New York, or truthfully, Vancouver... it's world class.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 6:24 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Why isn't it fair?

Rrskylar brought forward the statement "why would you stay here?".

So to ask rrskylar to perhaps qualify why he/she remains here is perfectly acceptable IMO.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post

I probably could move quite easily, but I have a lot of family here, and my wife is close to hers also. I'm not sure I could do that to my in-laws.

In the meantime, work here is great and there is zero reason that Winnipeg shouldn't try to be competitive.

The "if you don't like it, why don't you leave" perspective is not only preventing Winnipeg from reaching its potential, but it ignores people like myself who love it here, but deep down (if I'm honest with myself) are ITCHING to leave for Vancouver (in my case) or Cgy, TO, MTL, etc...

You're right, Winnipeg is a great breeding ground for talent. There's no reason for young talent to leave Winnipeg for Vancouver. But we've lost a ton of top-tier experienced talent. Those that CAN afford to leave, whether financially or due to lack of family anchors... they LEAVE. Winnipeg has to acknowledge that.

Here's the other problem... NONE of the young talent from Vancouver or Toronto (well almost none) is even CONSIDERING moving to Winnipeg, regardless of real estate prices. Years back, while we were all trying to establish our careers, my friends from abroad all elected to stay in, or MOVE TO Vancouver or Toronto. Family and a good career in Winnipeg brought me home.

They all made less money than me and they all stuck it out in the larger markets, and damn, they're happy they did. Sure, they envied the lower housing prices, but they got the lives they wanted in the end, something Winnipeg seems not even bother trying to offer. Hence why I'm kicking and screaming for Winnipeg to move its own ass.

The talent didn't even consider coming to Winnipeg.

However, I somewhat share your sentiment for moving. If I was moving, I ain't moving shit for Calgary, or something like that. It would only be a big move, like Europe or New York, or truthfully, Vancouver... it's world class.
You have a proclivity for very black and white arguments, absolutes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan