HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 1:58 PM

I really think they dropped the condo height. I think perhaps they may increase the height of the main office tower a bit if anything. I like the idea of a green space on the roof. Looks like maybe that will be how they increase the height without adding too much cost. Also makes for a unique ammenity for Saskatoon office space. (Although they are right by the river) still could be cool. We will see.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 3:25 PM

Proposed Parcel Y development plan gets bigger

Phil Tank, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Published on: March 24, 2016 | Last Updated: March 24, 2016 5:00 AM CST

Quote:
Despite a depressed downtown office market, the group behind a massive proposed development at River Landing is considering nearly doubling the amount of office space it will build.

The developers behind the long-delayed project at Parcel Y, which includes Saskatoon’s Victory Majors Development Corp., are seeking Saskatoon city council backing for a 22-storey office tower.

The tower would be built as part of the second phase of the hotel-condo-office complex, which would also include a 12-storey office tower. The revised proposal would increase the amount of proposed office space to 400,000 square feet from 250,000.

The developers hope to begin building the underground parkade for the first phase this summer, pending council approval in April.

“We’re looking at this for the long term,” project manager Blair Sinclair said Wednesday.

Saskatoon’s downtown office vacancy rate sat at nearly 16 per cent last month. The proposed new space represents about 17 per cent of the existing 2.4 million square feet of downtown office space.

The development, which was first proposed in 2005 as a hotel-spa project, now includes a 15-storey, 155-room Alt Hotel being planned by Montreal-based Group Germain Hotels.

The most impressive feature of the complex remains the 27-storey, 95-metre condominium tower, which would be Saskatchewan’s tallest building if built.

Sinclair said plans have not changed for the condo tower, although demand will ultimately determine whether it proceeds as planned.

“We don’t know that answer yet,” he said.

The hotel and the condo tower, which comprise the first phase of the project, are still being designed, he said, adding the components of the project are interconnected.

“People want to live closer to where they work as cities grow,” Sinclair said.

[....]
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...an-gets-bigger

It seems that the StarPhoenix and their interviewee aren't even talking about the same thing.

The article notes that the centrepiece of the development "remains" the 27-storey, 95 metre condo tower. Well, it's not on the rendering or the site plan anymore, is it? Where it once stood is where the 12-storey office building is. The article goes on to say that the 12-storey office will be built first over the 22-storey office in the middle. So, no 27-storey condo tower anymore. The only residential shown is attached to the ALT Hotel.

Come on, StarPhoenix, you can't even keep this straight. Embarassing.

At any rate, the taller office tower in the middle should still easily constitute a new tallest for Saskatoon.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 5:25 PM
BANNED

What is it now ten years since the River Landing proposal first emerged with one boom period come and gone!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
What is it now ten years since the River Landing proposal first emerged with one boom period come and gone!
Nine years if we're really counting. But yes, we know.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 5:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Nine years if we're really counting. But yes, we know.
Not to beat a dead horse but I really think Saskatoon dropped the ball by letting certain individuals sit on that parcel of land for far too long especially when you consider all the infrastructure money that was pumped into the area to accommodate a major project like River Landing.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Not to beat a dead horse but I really think Saskatoon dropped the ball by letting certain individuals sit on that parcel of land for far too long especially when you consider all the infrastructure money that was pumped into the area to accommodate a major project like River Landing.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the issue at the root of this was that the City insisted on having a single "mega"-project (for Saskatoon) built on such a large site by one developer. They could've split the site into smaller, more manageable pieces of the pie.

A project of this magnitude hasn't been pulled off in our city before, and we're just not that big, regardless of what we want to believe. We should have known that it would take time, and that any willing developer would proceed very, very cautiously. That said, there are finally credible backers behind this project. It will be build out over time and based on the realities of the market, and not overnight like people expected (starting back in 2007).

However, this development project that we call "River Landing" often gets confused with River Landing, the comprehensive public redevelopment of our south downtown riverbank and all the related public amenities (now more than 10 years in). All the public infrastructure and amenities that have been constructed - from the new riverfront to the Farmer's Market to the Remai Gallery - stand on their own as fantastic and shape-shifting additions to our city centre. They have been embraced by the populace and the area's become a centrepiece for the city, with or without the private development. So it is incorrect to say that the public investment made was predicated only on attracting private development - although it was part of the plan - it was very much about creating an exceptional gathering place for Saskatonians. And that, I think, was a great success.

But on the private development side, the mixed-use project by LeFevre & Company out of Victoria, The Banks, is nearing completion and is already being hailed as an incredible success. And the mixed use model of development that it embodies is a first for SK, and dare I say an exemplary project for the entire Prairies.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 6:54 PM

I have to echo echoes point... how is this "bigger" than the previous design? The 27 floor residential tower has been replaced with a 12 story office building.

This project just shed 27 floors of residential and added a medium rise office building. BUT, the 17 floor office building is not going to be the province's (or even the city's) new tallest, not by a long shot. Which is fine with me, the site doesn't suit a bulky building, however it seems the designs have also been noticeably cost-engineered already (and it's still just a render). The reporter does indeed seem confused.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 7:24 PM

Quote:

It seems that the StarPhoenix and their interviewee aren't even talking about the same thing.

Come on, StarPhoenix, you can't even keep this straight. Embarassing.

At any rate, the taller office tower in the middle should still easily constitute a new tallest for Saskatoon.
It does seem somewhat confusing, at this point are we looking at 22-17-12 floors..Proposed? with possible changes yet still to be announced?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 7:47 PM

Hah. Maybe StarPhoenix staff read our forum. Just read a tweet from the article writer saying it's been revised with respect to tower heights:

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...an-gets-bigger

Gone is the reference to the 95 m condo tower, and this instead (what I guess the developer was talking about all along):

Quote:
The condo tower adjacent to the hotel is slated at 17 floors with 80 to 100 units, although demand could bring changes to its height, Sinclair said.

“We don’t know that answer yet,” he said. “The condo is still very fluid right now.”

The hotel and the condo tower, which comprise the first phase of the project, are still being designed, he said, adding the components of the project are interconnected.

“People want to live closer to where they work as cities grow,” Sinclair said.

Sinclair said he could not name the condo developer.

The original proposal by Victory Majors when the company took over the project from another developer called for a 27-storey, 95-metre condo tower.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 10:26 PM

Really upsets me that the condo isnt being built.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 1:26 AM

Right on Echoes so it looks like so far the condo is 17 floors but could go higher if people buy in.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 4:25 AM

Quote:
I have to agree with you rrskylar, Saskatoon for whatever reason, can't get it's $#!+ together when it comes to downtown projects. Developer's are allowed to pussy foot around & it's been decades that the property has remained useless and not drawing tax revenue. The city which supposedly wants to increase residential living in the downtown core has completely lost any momentum it may have had during the more lucrative economic times.

Thousands of suburban condos have newly sprung up in all corners of the city but people still have the mentality that the River Landing project was too massive a project for a city the size of Saskatoon to handle, even though the 23 storey Renaissance condo and 18 storey hotel were built in a city back when half the current size.

Mean while during the last few years, Regina has built 20 storey Mosaic Office building and is currently constructing what will be 26 storey Capital hotel and tower, which by the looks of it, wiil remain the tallest building in the province for decades to come.
If there's a loser city in the province, it's not Regina..(looking at you Saskatoon)

p.s. mark my words.. the 22 storey office building part of project will be reduced in size to 12storey or less like to 5 storey cross the street

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 4:46 AM

I just want to point out that the 17 floor office tower originally proposed was to be 80m. They are now upping it to 22 stories (still the middle tower now with added height) roughly 4m per floor gives 88 meters.(now project could still change this) Condo and hotel are one building althought i think they are still calling them 2. The big 95m tower has been replaced by the smaller 12 story office.

Thats just how I read it anyways. Maybe im just optimistic.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 11:54 AM

With office vacancy rates being high this project won't proceedsoon. As long as suburban office space is allowed to move forward like it is now the downtown office market is fighting an uphill battle.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 3:01 PM

Smile

[originally quoted by saskscraperQUOTE]I have to agree with you rrskylar, Saskatoon for whatever reason, can't get it's $#!+ together when it comes to downtown projects. Developer's are allowed to pussy foot around & it's been decades that the property has remained useless and not drawing tax revenue. The city which supposedly wants to increase residential living in the downtown core has completely lost any momentum it may have had during the more lucrative economic times.

Thousands of suburban condos have newly sprung up in all corners of the city but people still have the mentality that the River Landing project was too massive a project for a city the size of Saskatoon to handle, even though the 23 storey Renaissance condo and 18 storey hotel were built in a city back when half the current size.

Mean while during the last few years, Regina has built 20 storey Mosaic Office building and is currently constructing what will be 26 storey Capital hotel and tower, which by the looks of it, wiil remain the tallest building in the province for decades to come.
If there's a loser city in the province, it's not Regina..(looking at you Saskatoon)

p.s. mark my words.. the 22 storey office building part of project will be reduced in size to 12storey or less like to 5 storey cross the street
Reply With Quote[/QUOTE]

Was wondering when we would here from Regina and Winnipeg. Question answered

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 1:15 PM

Quote:
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the issue at the root of this was that the City insisted on having a single "mega"-project (for Saskatoon) built on such a large site by one developer. They could've split the site into smaller, more manageable pieces of the pie.

A project of this magnitude hasn't been pulled off in our city before, and we're just not that big, regardless of what we want to believe. We should have known that it would take time, and that any willing developer would proceed very, very cautiously. That said, there are finally credible backers behind this project. It will be build out over time and based on the realities of the market, and not overnight like people expected (starting back in 2007).

However, this development project that we call "River Landing" often gets confused with River Landing, the comprehensive public redevelopment of our south downtown riverbank and all the related public amenities (now more than 10 years in). All the public infrastructure and amenities that have been constructed - from the new riverfront to the Farmer's Market to the Remai Gallery - stand on their own as fantastic and shape-shifting additions to our city centre. They have been embraced by the populace and the area's become a centrepiece for the city, with or without the private development. So it is incorrect to say that the public investment made was predicated only on attracting private development - although it was part of the plan - it was very much about creating an exceptional gathering place for Saskatonians. And that, I think, was a great success.

But on the private development side, the mixed-use project by LeFevre & Company out of Victoria, The Banks, is nearing completion and is already being hailed as an incredible success. And the mixed use model of development that it embodies is a first for SK, and dare I say an exemplary project for the entire Prairies.
Excellent points Echoes. I would add that another goal of River Landing's plan--to bridge the divides (both physical and psychological) between the city's downtown and its west side--has been a success. Changing up the configuration of the Idylwyld overpass, extensive and amenity-filled park spaces, and a cohesive design aesthetic have created a connection between the neighbourhoods. The increased pedestrian traffic into this area as a result of the changes has removed some of what was the negative stigma of the area 10+ years ago.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 5:16 PM

From the Canadian Proposals Thread.

Municipal Planning Committee Agenda for March.29.2016

Quote:
13. PHASING OF DEVELOPMENT
Buildings may be built and phased according to
market demands. An overall site concept shall be
provided to the approving authority prior to the
commencement of development. The Site may be
subdivided as required. The public plaza may be
finalized prior-to or in coordination with the completion
of the last phase of the overall development.
https://www.saskatoon.ca/sites/defau..._mp_290316.pdf

Quote:
River Landing, Saskatoon

15 storey hotel/condo - 22 storey office - 12 storey office

Source
Are we going with 22-15-12 for this proposed Development Echoes?
As per the PDF Link supplied Gibbs + Gage Architects, Parcel YY March.11.2016 Conceptual Plan ? Like to update the Change to this proposal.

* Side Note: Let me know if you'll be the Thread Starter for Saskatoon Construction at 10K. thx.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 2:12 PM

Latest and greatest regarding the development from their presentation to the Municipal Planning Commission yesterday:

Quote:
Parcel Y phases
1.An underground parkade, a 15-storey hotel and a 17-storey condo tower that could grow taller on the west side of the property.
2.A 12-storey office tower on the east side, followed by a 20-storey office tower on the north side.
3.A public plaza on the south side
Full story from the S-P:

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...parcel-y-tower

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 2:38 PM
the heat goes on

Parcel Y tax break effort draws criticism
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...raws-criticism

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Latest and greatest regarding the development from their presentation to the Municipal Planning Commission yesterday:

Full story from the S-P:

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...parcel-y-tower
One more layer of lipstick.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan