HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 8:11 AM

Looks like the Flames did well tonight, getting a win and not giving up a point to the Ducks.

As a Leafs fan, I'm thrilled with this season, the Leafs are solid and consistent, and Ottawa and Montreal are not at all solid, but they are consistent....consistently bad

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 10:56 PM

Canadian teams

Rank Team GP Points

3 Winnipeg 43 57

10 Toronto 43 52

20 Calgary 41 46

26 Montreal 42 40

27 Edmonton 43 39

28 Vancouver 42 38

29 Ottawa 40 37

Last edited by khabibulin; Jan 8, 2018 at 5:08 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 12:07 AM
Community Guy

4-1 loss for the Oilers. What to do, what to do...

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
What to do? Enjoy thoroughly if you’re a Flames fan this season’s epic collapse by the Oilers has been fun to watch for us Flames fans.. Especially after seeing some of the local journalists in Edmonton predicting them winning the Stanley Cup.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 12:17 AM
Community Guy

We cannot make basic plays work it seems. Other than watching McDavid skate around everyone (and not convert), this is getting quite bleak.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 1:12 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
What to do? Enjoy thoroughly if you’re a Flames fan this season’s epic collapse by the Oilers has been fun to watch for us Flames fans.. Especially after seeing some of the local journalists in Edmonton predicting them winning the Stanley Cup.
The Flames haven't exactly been on fire either.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 1:18 AM

Quote:
We cannot make basic plays work it seems. Other than watching McDavid skate around everyone (and not convert), this is getting quite bleak.
I still don't understand why they didn't fire their coach. It's so obvious they need a shot in the arm and a new coach would have given them that.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 1:21 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
20-3, including the win.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
The Flames haven't exactly been on fire either.
No, but compared to Ott/Van/Edm/Mtl they look like cup winners. Toronto and Winnipeg are the only two legit Canadian teams this year, but Calgary could be in the mix with a few extra wins.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 5:10 AM
Dahvie Fan

Something is seriously wrong in Edmonton. There's no excuse for a team with those players to be playing like that.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 5:12 AM

Watching the Leafs beat the Cannucks at the bar in Sechelt last night was fun.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Go full Oiler and tank like they have done for 10 of the past 11 seasons?

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 8:30 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
Go full Oiler and tank like they have done for 10 of the past 11 seasons?
Tanking implies having a bad team on purpose - the Oilers haven't been getting first overalls by being bad on purpose.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Tanking implies having a bad team on purpose - the Oilers haven't been getting first overalls by being bad on purpose.
They had an 11.5% chance of having the first overall pick in 2015. Casual "fans" seem unaware that there is a lottery. Buffalo and AZ showed that year that tanking doesn't work.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I don't think they've tanked on purpose, but it feels like they don't care. Oiler fans remind me a lot of the Leaf fans over the decades, where they'll watch them and support them no matter how bad they are. Outside of last year the Oilers have been somewhere between dismal and mediocre for almost 2 decades but still have the strong fan support. There's no incentive for the team to win.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 9:26 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook Arch View Post
I don't think they've tanked on purpose, but it feels like they don't care. Oiler fans remind me a lot of the Leaf fans over the decades, where they'll watch them and support them no matter how bad they are. Outside of last year the Oilers have been somewhere between dismal and mediocre for almost 2 decades but still have the strong fan support. There's no incentive for the team to win.
For those of us who thoroughly enjoy watching the Oilers crash & burn, this current group is the team that just keeps on giving

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 10:41 PM

Jets are 4 - 0 - 1 without Scheifele. So far so good. They have a bit of a tough stretch coming with 6 of their next 7 on the road. I will be happy if they go something like 3-3-1 for those 7 games and stay in the hunt for first or second in the central.

I have given up on the idea of the Oilers making the playoffs at this point. 4 games under .500 past the halfway point of the season. It will probably take at least 92 - 94 points to get the final wild card so on that basis the Oilers will have to go something like 24-10-5. I just don't see that happening.

At this point they are only 3 Canadian teams with a realistic chance at making the playoffs - Winnipeg, Toronto and Calgary. THe rest are done.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 11:03 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook Arch View Post
Generally how things go. If the franchise continues to make money it doesn't really matter that much how the team performs. Obviously they would prefer to be doing better but people aren't boycotting games, merchandise is selling, and seats aren't empty at the rink, so business as usual.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 11:46 PM
BANNED

We're #3! We're #3! We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Jets are 4 - 0 - 1 without Scheifele. So far so good. They have a bit of a tough stretch coming with 6 of their next 7 on the road. I will be happy if they go something like 3-3-1 for those 7 games and stay in the hunt for first or second in the central.

I have given up on the idea of the Oilers making the playoffs at this point. 4 games under .500 past the halfway point of the season. It will probably take at least 92 - 94 points to get the final wild card so on that basis the Oilers will have to go something like 24-10-5. I just don't see that happening.

At this point they are only 3 Canadian teams with a realistic chance at making the playoffs - Winnipeg, Toronto and Calgary. THe rest are done.
Yeah, Toronto and Winnipeg should be good for a playoff spot. Calgary has a decent chance. They look far down the standings, but are only one point out of a wild card and two points out of a division spot. The biggest challenge for the Flames is the number of teams trying to leapfrog each other.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada