HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 10:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburgatory View Post
Nobody cares about Calgary construction related news in the Calgary construction forum. Especially 5 day old news.

Stick to mansions and off topic please.
It hadn't been mentioned here over those few days, and being a $500M project, it was worthy of mention.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 10:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
I'd say the majority love the pics especially the mansion ones. People are free to post other pics and they would be appreciated as well. Daemon has limitations in terms of transportation and being young he's probably not flush with cash. Maybe Suburbia could buy him a "real" camera and a car so he can cover the entire city when he's not busy with school.
I don't mind some of his pictures, but he needs to learn not to post each and every shot he takes. If he takes ten, select the three best. If they turn out good one day, post all, and if they are bad another day, don't have to post them. Further, he way too often posts zoom in shots of the same things again and again even when there is no construction (concord is an example). It gets tiresome.

With respect to him being poor or not, that's not something we should be deliberating here. He got an i-phone, which is not cheap, and he could have gotten a basic real camera for much less than that. Regarding moving him around the city, the transit is quite a good value, and there are mechanisms if the price is too high. I also don't believe he's been very busy with school recently. This semester I'm guessing is just one or two upgrading courses (he can correct if I'm wrong). Don't put him down so much.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 10:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechilds View Post
I bet you do
I’m speaking for the majority. It’s 8-10 max here that feel the need to continue wanting this while killing this forum.
Quote:
I'd say the majority love the pics especially the mansion ones. People are free to post other pics and they would be appreciated as well.
Perhaps a poll is required, and the creation of a Daemon pics thread at the same time! We'll get some data, and going forward, Daemon will have a place to drop his load anytime, and the lovers can enjoy that thread for posterity!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
I don't mind some of his pictures, but he needs to learn not to post each and every shot he takes. If he takes ten, select the three best. If they turn out good one day, post all, and if they are bad another day, don't have to post them. Further, he way too often posts zoom in shots of the same things again and again even when there is no construction (concord is an example). It gets tiresome.

With respect to him being poor or not, that's not something we should be deliberating here. He got an i-phone, which is not cheap, and he could have gotten a basic real camera for much less than that. Regarding moving him around the city, the transit is quite a good value, and there are mechanisms if the price is too high. I also don't believe he's been very busy with school recently. This semester I'm guessing is just one or two upgrading courses (he can correct if I'm wrong). Don't put him down so much.
Don't go projecting your dislike for Daemon on to me. I've always been supportive of his efforts and smart enough to factor in his circumstances. You're the one who keeps questioning his school record and now you appear to be insinuating that he's lazy. Like I said before, if you're not happy with the quality of his work then buy him a "real" camera, buy him a car, and pay for him to take a photography course.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Perhaps a poll is required, and the creation of a Daemon pics thread at the same time! We'll get some data, and going forward, Daemon will have a place to drop his load anytime, and the lovers can enjoy that thread for posterity!
Daemon can post his photos here. If you don't like them skip over them. No one here is being forced to read anyone else's posts.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Daemon can post his photos here. If you don't like them skip over them. No one here is being forced to read anyone else's posts.
That or Suburbia and Littlechilds can form their own thread. Whining about it is worse than anything to do with the pics themselves.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 2:11 AM

As long as I get my mansion pics I’m happy.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 4:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
buy him a "real" camera, buy him a car, and pay for him to take a photography course.
The photography course I highlighted to him was at his high school. It would have been free.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 6:13 AM

Quote:
The photography course I highlighted to him was at his high school. It would have been free.
He needed to concentrate on graduating at the time not taking optional content that he could learn later.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 6:14 AM

Thank yo for the comments, and thanks people for private messages requesting me to continue posting pics. Mansion pics will keep coming.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Grizzly View Post
As long as I get my mansion pics I’m happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Grizzly View Post
I don’t care as much about the panos, but I like those mansion pics. I hope we keep getting them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
This is beautiful. I would love to see more of these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_yyc_ca View Post
I like them too I hope he keeps posting them. If he doesn’t I’ll do it myself
Quote:
I'd say the majority love the pics especially the mansion ones. People are free to post other pics and they would be appreciated as well. Daemon has limitations in terms of transportation and being young he's probably not flush with cash. Maybe Suburbia could buy him a "real" camera and a car so he can cover the entire city when he's not busy with school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Speak for yourself, I like those pics.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 6:17 AM

I like those mansion updates and I like the skyline pics. Keep posting Daemon.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 6:18 AM

On other mansion pic that was forgotten.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 6:22 AM

She’s a beaut I hope the other mansion that is replacing the two houses is something like this, but bigger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
And now the mansion

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 5:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Moving on from non skyscraper news to ACTUAL skyscraper news:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4744046/i...y-condo-tower/

December 8, 2018 6:37 pm
Inglewood residents protest plans for new 16-storey condo tower in Calgary

By Carolyn Kury de Castillo

Calgary’s Inglewood neighbourhood is filled with sandstone buildings and hundred-year-old homes — but now there are plans for a 50-metre condo tower in the city’s oldest neighbourhood that have some residents upset.

“A 50-metre building, according to the developer, will be like a landmark gateway to the community but it will actually be an eyesore to the community,” said Phil Levson, president of the Inglewood Community Association, on Saturday.
These NIMBY's need to get over it.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 5:10 PM

So in regards to The Grid proposal above, the developer proposed 21 stories, is going to Council today asking for 16 stories, and the limit is only 6 stories! Wonder what number they will come out of City Hall with!

Seems Inglewood residents are in opposition, as is the airport authority, so I wonder where this will land. But why is SoBow across the street allowed if it’s in the airport vicinity noise zone? But anyways, as a single tower, indeed it will stick out like a sore thumb, but if the triangle piece of land to the west, part of which is where the truck stop is situated, redevelops into higher density, then The Grid might not look out of context. My concern with The Grid is that it’s in a cul de sac and doesn’t connect to 19th street so there will be lots of extra traffic on those neighborhood streets. If they opened up the end of the cul de sac to 19th street, it would help keep The Grid traffic out of the SFH areas.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 5:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
... as a single tower, indeed it will stick out like a sore thumb, but if the triangle piece of land to the west, part of which is where the truck stop is situated, redevelops into higher density, then The Grid might not look out of context.
If this one goes, you can guarantee that greater adjacent density will follow. Can't knock it for being the first - if anything it should be applauded.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 6:08 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
These NIMBY's need to get over it.
From my brief check-in on this, there's two groups of complaints going on. One is basically residents not wanting towers. The other one is the CA's of Inglewood and Ramsay are currently working with the city to draft a new ARP which among other things has recommended max heights in various parts of the communities, and while this huge amount of work is being done city planning is accepting things that don't align with the ARP, so there's questioning of what's the point of the document.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 6:50 PM

Quote:
If this one goes, you can guarantee that greater adjacent density will follow. Can't knock it for being the first - if anything it should be applauded.
Page 10 of this document by Brown & Associates shows the potential of the TOD development. While it still needs work, The Grid actually looked not too bad in this context, and with a building of similar height kitty corner to it, as shown in the page 10 graphic, serves as kind of an eastern gateway to Inglewood!

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/b...eb-Version.pdf

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
From my brief check-in on this, there's two groups of complaints going on. One is basically residents not wanting towers. The other one is the CA's of Inglewood and Ramsay are currently working with the city to draft a new ARP which among other things has recommended max heights in various parts of the communities, and while this huge amount of work is being done city planning is accepting things that don't align with the ARP, so there's questioning of what's the point of the document.
I can see the rationale of the community associations, wanting to conclude the ARP process before any such game changing applications are brought forward/approved.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 7:02 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
I can see the rationale of the community associations, wanting to conclude the ARP process before any such game changing applications are brought forward/approved.
Yeah, it's unfortunate that it seems just the "anti-tower" folks are the ones being written about in the news.

Letter from the Ramsay CA:

http://ramsaycalgary.ca/wp-content/u...rid-Ramsay.pdf

Essentially: City-Community agreed upon height for that parcel in the proposed ARP is 28 meters, and then planning entertains a request from the developer for 63 meters at the same time.

Last edited by DizzyEdge; Dec 10, 2018 at 7:13 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates