HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 2:27 PM

10 James Street North

So I was walking to work today, and I noticed that someone was inside 10 James North turning on the lights upstairs. I've never seen them on before, and it got me thinking something might be happening there soon. I snapped a quick (albeit blurry) photo of the lights.

Anyone have any details on this?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 3:07 PM

New HVAC equipment was lifted onto the roof a few days ago.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 3:27 PM

What a beautiful apartment that must be, tall ceilings and massive windows.

Wish I found something like that. Hindsight 20-20

Last edited by Pearlstreet; Dec 28, 2013 at 3:26 AM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 4:21 PM

This property sold in late March and was briefly discussed in the Downtown Update thread.

Local property manager has big plans for James North building
(Hamilton Spectator, Joseph Engelhardt, March 28 2013)

A local property manager is looking for inspiration for his newest project.

On Wednesday, Joe Accardi, owner of APM Property Management, closed a deal to buy 10 James St. North, which sits just north of King on the east side of the street.

"It's an inspiring place," he said. "The plans are to think big and inspire the community, I don't know what that means in terms of specifics."

The building currently houses a cheque cashing store and until recently a nail salon, but Accardi said he has bigger plans for the building.

"We're putting it up for lease soon, so we're going to see what kind of things we're doing," he said. "I'm trying to figure out what the best thing is for the area over there."

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 4:47 PM
Hammer'd

If you look in from James Street, you can see chandeliers and things in there. I noticed it last week. Those are gonna be amazing units.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 6:17 AM

Some of the work happening here:

the storefront along James North, where the nail salon (I think?) used to be. Maybe it was the gold store. Saw some workers come out of here before going upstairs.

The fire escape in the back alley (a really neat, albeit grungy location in the city. They filmed parts of Kick Ass here) is down, and the door to upstairs is open. The sound of power tools is very audible in the alley.

I made this one larger so you can kind of see the chandelier hanging in the window up there. whatever this ends up being, it's going to be LOVELY.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 5:52 PM

Exciting! More good news.

I hope the Sirloin Cellar gets back on its feet.

No fair for the long time DT business to be forgotten and left behind

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 12:16 AM

Tremendous news. Hopefully they'll give the facade a little cleaning, too because I'm quite sure there's some bright, beautiful brick underneath all that grime.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Tremendous news. Hopefully they'll give the facade a little cleaning, too because I'm quite sure there's some bright, beautiful brick underneath all that grime.
I love the old, dirty brick look. i wished Stinso school wasn't 'cleaned'.

To me it says permanence, lasting legacy, history and heritage etc

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 1:57 AM

Yeah, I'm OK either way. As long as that signage is replaced and the ground floor is given a similar treatment to many others along James North.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 8:31 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
I love the old, dirty brick look. i wished Stinso school wasn't 'cleaned'.

To me it says permanence, lasting legacy, history and heritage etc
I hadn't walked through the International Village in a long time... maybe 15 years until last summer. One of the most striking things I noticed was the clean brick and trim on many of the buildings. I thought it made a big difference in the way the street feels than from what I could remember.

To each their own I guess.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 12:11 AM
It's Hammer Time

Downtown Hamilton developers wrestle over Sirloin Cellar alley

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/52...-cellar-alley/

The city has delayed selling a stretch of downtown alleyway to a developer who has plans to give a lift to languishing office space above it.

Hamilton's public works committee has deferred a decision to sell a leg of the James Street North passage until its next meeting on Feb. 2.

Public works had recommended closing the alley, between King and King William streets, and selling it for $2 to Core Urban Inc.

But DeSantis, which owns the parking lot at the corner of King William and James, has indicated it's "very concerned about the proposed closure."

In a letter to the city, Scott Snider, lawyer for DeSantis, says the closure would "undoubtedly affect access to the rear of buildings that front on King Street West."

"Our client is concerned that by closing this portion of the alley it will detrimentally affect both the use and development potential of the DeSantis Lands," Snider said.

If the alley closes, Core Urban hopes to redevelop buildings on both sides of the passage.

The revamp would help breathe life into the long-empty office space in the buildings, said Glen Norton, the city's manager of urban renewal.

It would also clean up the foul-smelling alley, Norton said.

"It's probably the No. 1 illegal dumpsite. Quite frankly, it will take away the problem of public urination, as well."

In 2012, the alley, which abuts 14 James St. N., became a source of strife between the city and the former Sirloin Cellar restaurant.

The owners, which closed the eatery after 43 years, said the leaky alleyway had caused thousands of dollars in damage to their establishment.

For the past three years, the alley has only been open to pedestrians.

The city says it will avoid the cost of repairs and maintenance by selling the alley to Core Urban.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 7:51 AM

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 8:15 PM

Wow, the city really steps up to the plate for this sweetheart 'New Hamilton' developer. Why not help the business that was there before? Not cool / young / handsome enough?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 8:57 PM

CBC Hamilton - City wants to sell notorious James St. N. alley to developer

A rendering for a proposed project at 10-14 James St. N. would convert an existing alley into a pedestrian walkway and an
elevator to serve new commercial office space in the adjacent buildings.
- Source

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 11:13 PM

^More good news from Core Urban!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 12:38 AM

Sharp

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 2:35 AM

From Permanent Closure of a Portion of Public Assumed Alley Abutting No. 12 and 14 James Street North, Hamilton (PW15003):

"RECOMMENDATION
That a portion of the public assumed alleyway abutting 14 James Street North, Hamilton, running east/west from James Street North to the easterly limit of 14 James Street North, Hamilton (the Subject Lands), be permanently closed, as shown on Appendix “A” to Report PW15003, and sold to Core Urban Inc. or its nominee (“Core Urban”), subject to the following conditions;
(a) That Core Urban obtain legal title to lands and premises directly abutting the Subject Lands;"

"The company has plans to buy the buildings as long as the alley deal goes through."

Historical Hamilton has some detail on 10-12 & 14 James Street North.

Last edited by thistleclub; Feb 2, 2015 at 3:31 AM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 2:54 AM

That poor corner lot. It seems like the owners are the type of people who will keep sitting on it disputing every development around it.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 3:32 AM

The DeSantis company should just build a fence (dotted blue line) along the edges of the alley that border the parking lot so that trucks can only use the alley.

If CoreUrban redevelops those two buildings it will increase the value of the parking lot property.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton