HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 3:00 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
ah yes, almost forgot about the horrible conditions of the migrant workers.. it's like the hebrews building egypt hehe..

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 5:11 PM
Hamilton Historian

Video I found on the development for the waterfront:

Video Link

Also "Hamilton - Hammer City" was chosen as the winner for the waterfront redevelopment contest.

https://www.hamilton.ca/city-initiat...promenade-park

Noticing they wanna do supercrawl on it and display artworks outside.. what happens when it rains..

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Also "Hamilton - Hammer City" was chosen as the winner for the waterfront redevelopment contest.

https://www.hamilton.ca/city-initiat...promenade-park

Noticing they wanna do supercrawl on it and display artworks outside.. what happens when it rains..

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 6:56 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
There is a thread for the waterfront redevelopment already, and the park winner was announced like two months ago.
sorry, I was a little late on this one.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 10:59 PM

Totally didnt know I had an account here until I logged in thinking it was another forum. But anywho.

This is a dream, and a BIG one at that. But I wish everything from Sherman Ave North to Eastwood Park on the waterfront could just be torn down and remade into a thriving part of the city. It doesnt have to be Dubai levels of wealth and whatnot, but it could be something, that area has limitless potential. some parks with bike lanes, throw up some 6 - 20 floor condos by the waterfront. HAve public transit go all throughout it including LRT. And then market the crap out of it to people wanting to move to toronto, make it cheaper and maybe add some docks and places for boats like bay front park has.

But yeah, it's all a dream that can;t happen for millions of reasons.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriniaSona View Post
Totally didnt know I had an account here until I logged in thinking it was another forum. But anywho.

This is a dream, and a BIG one at that. But I wish everything from Sherman Ave North to Eastwood Park on the waterfront could just be torn down and remade into a thriving part of the city. It doesnt have to be Dubai levels of wealth and whatnot, but it could be something, that area has limitless potential. some parks with bike lanes, throw up some 6 - 20 floor condos by the waterfront. HAve public transit go all throughout it including LRT. And then market the crap out of it to people wanting to move to toronto, make it cheaper and maybe add some docks and places for boats like bay front park has.

But yeah, it's all a dream that can;t happen for millions of reasons.
About 15 years ago I was in Dallas for a conference and decided to take a walk away from the Fairmont Hotel where I was staying to the other side of the elevated freeway. The street was all new buildings. I continued to walk for a little of a mile when suddenly there was a view of street after street of old sidewalks and roads, but no buildings. I look on Google Streetview now and the entire area has been transformed into modern neighbourhoods with midrise apartment complexes.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 6:15 PM
Hamilton Historian

that's pretty cool!

I still wish we had some sorta mega entertainment complex for people to go to downtown.. fun world hahaha

or even an aquarium - Toronto has one, I WANT AN AQUARIUM!

*stomps feet like a toddler and has a hissyfit*

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 9:38 PM
Hamilton Historian

Sodablasting the brick on the gibson school - what a beautiful difference a simple sodablasting does! I think every old building should get this treatment

Also god I hope they take that paneling crap off the windows..

(Source)

(Source)

(Source)

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 9:54 PM

I kind of prefer the dark brick... Is that bad?

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 10:00 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I kind of prefer the dark brick... Is that bad?
Probably just a matter of preference - I like the regular brick colour but I love when old buildings look shiny and new

This building was probably from the coal burning era.

What gets me with this building though is the stone lintels have remained in rather pristine condition all these years, aside form some minor staining, probably because they are flush with the brick, but still, impressive..

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 10:57 PM
Hamilton Historian

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this - one of the only coloured images to show the incline rail actually being used in hamilton

(Late 1800s I'm assuming based on the victorian clothing)

Not sure where the location is, I suppose it's possible it's centennial, with battlefield house being BESIDE the house on the right... I found another version of it labelled "east end" so that would put it in the right location - only location I can think of where the escarpment was blasted through that way.

Last edited by Chronamut; Nov 17, 2017 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 11:24 PM

East end meant Wentworth. This is the incline at Wentworth and that is clearly Stinson school on the left. The railway is visible at the bottom as well which is now the Rail trail. Nice image.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 11:39 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapht View Post
East end meant Wentworth. This is the incline at Wentworth and that is clearly Stinson school on the left. The railway is visible at the bottom as well which is now the Rail trail. Nice image.
You are correct - wow what a radical transformation this area has gone through - you can't even tell there is that huge gash through the escarpment anymore- the only hint at it is a bike trail going up into the forestry, I will have to check that out for myself sometime!

And yes how silly of me centennial is Stoney Creek and Hamilton would have been very core centralized back then..

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 11:49 PM
Hamilton Historian

another one from the archives.. this one shows the building before kreskys was put up, as well as the building beside it before the facade was completely and utterly RAPED into what it is today. You will also notice a lot of the buildings had stone railings on the top of the buildings as accents which have since been removed. All the nice flourishes were torn off, probably during the modernization movement where clean lines were preferred over opulent accents.

Also I believe the building in the background no longer exists.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 2:53 AM

They could have used some zebra stripes at that intersection. It must have been a nightmare to cross, especially the way people drove in those days and given there were no traffic lights yet.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 3:08 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
They could have used some zebra stripes at that intersection. It must have been a nightmare to cross, especially the way people drove in those days and given there were no traffic lights yet.
oh fun fact - the lines on roads were actually invented in ontario:

https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/...27-2007-e.html

Hamilton also invented the first public drinking fountains - shorty greens

With a growing population, the city also tackled ways to reduce the exposure of residents to sewage, starting a sewage system in the mid-1850s. By 1913, the system had expanded into a continental first with the construction of the largest sewage treatment plant of its kind.

Last edited by Chronamut; Nov 18, 2017 at 3:19 AM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 3:15 AM

As were traffic lights apparently...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 3:25 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
As were traffic lights apparently...
and the spectrometer apparently too.. we're a cool city

also unlike other cities, when we burned down most of the downtown in the 1800s, we learned from our mistakes, and instead of rebuilding wood buildings we build everything in brick and stone, which is why hamilton has SOOO MANY brick and stone buildings.. or did, before we started to tear them all down.

We also demolished the downtown area to make jackson square, and put in the drinking fountains due to the rising cholera outbreaks at the time.

THE MORE YOU KNOWWWW

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 3:40 AM
Hamilton Historian

So apparently, sodablasting is the way of the future, there is like.. NOTHING this stuff cannot do, and it only affects whatever has attached itself to the surface, it doesn't harm the surface below. You could literally fix every surface in the city with it. It's nontoxic and food grade. It even removes graffiti! The city needs to use this more.

It works by using compressed air and baking soda, and the baking soda causes the buildup to EXPLODE on impact, vaporizing it on touch, while leaving the substrate completely intact! It's like a magic rubber in a nozzle!

Check out this video.. I'm like.. obsessed with it now. .I just wanna go through the city with a sodablaster and sodablast, EVERY. SINGLE. BUILDING.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 5:51 PM

I think for the brick they use walnut shells. Sand is a health and safety issue as sand is composed of silica which causes silicosis in the lungs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton