HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
Also - is it confirmed that Google is actually moving in there? I thought it was actually Motorola Mobility (which was owned by google at the time) but I heard Google sold the Motorola Mobility unit to Lenovo? So, isnt it IBM/Lenovo that is moving into the building?
Yes, they already did around or over a month ago. I have a friend who works there and he's been there at least a month and says the space is awesome. Google sold it to Lenovo, but part of the deal was that they'd have to be in that space.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
Also - is it confirmed that Google is actually moving in there? I thought it was actually Motorola Mobility (which was owned by google at the time) but I heard Google sold the Motorola Mobility unit to Lenovo? So, isnt it IBM/Lenovo that is moving into the building?
Motorolla is still moving to the Mart. Google is moving to Fulton. Google has been in a building on kinzie for some time and their pressence in Chicago was/is seperate from Motorolla. I think locally they are mostly just ad sales types though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Yeah, not a fan at all of what I'm seeing here as far as first facade elements on fulton cold storage.

This is for google, right (not a suburban bank, insurance co or medical offices)?right?
It isn't really for google, they picked up a good chuck of space after the project got started IIRC.

SRAM was the large tenant that set this project in motion. Kind of a shame that it has become known as the google building when it is mostly just a sales team. This will be SRAMs global headquarters that Perkins + Will "is developing a design that will connect two levels of workspace with a bleacher stair for group gatherings, a product development machine shop, and an internal cycling test track" for SRAM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
I just saw these trucks at the empty lot at Lake and Stetson. They could just be holding for a delivery somewhere nearby. That lot (and the road itself) could definitely use some love, considering the rocket pace at which N Mich has been developing a block away.
Is that the lot the second GEMS phase is going into or am I thinking of something else?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 6:27 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Burnham's public waterfront mandate
People often confuse and conflate Burnham's and Montgomery Ward's ideas about the lakefront. In fact, they were diametrically opposed to each other.

Burnham proposed a cultural center (new Art Institute, Crerar Library, Field Museum) in Grant Park while Ward was fighting for the idea that there could be no buildings whatsoever in the park. But that prohibition only covers the part between Randolph and 11th Place. Meanwhile, the Lakefront Protection Ordinance of 1974 merely sets out some goals and procedural steps to be followed. So the only thing required for a new museum—or for that matter a new stadium, new condo tower, or new nuclear-powered auto crusher and slaughterhouse—right next to the lakefront is for the Plan Commission to vote twice.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Is that the lot the second GEMS phase is going into or am I thinking of something else?
No, this is west of LSE. Across the street (to the west) from AON and the gym whose new name I can't remember.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 6:34 PM

Lol, I vote for a new slaughterhouse next to north ave beach!!!! Freshly slaughtered grassfed beef delievered to your door daily! I'm sure the foodie community would be on board too.

So are they going to charge people to use the rock climbing wall? That looks really awesome! Can't wait for the Maggie D park to open. Got to be a litigation nightmare for the city, no?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 6:35 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
People often confuse and conflate Burnham's and Montgomery Ward's ideas about the lakefront. In fact, they were diametrically opposed to each other.

Burnham proposed a cultural center (new Art Institute, Crerar Library, Field Museum) in Grant Park while Ward was fighting for the idea that there could be no buildings whatsoever in the park. But that prohibition only covers the part between Randolph and 11th Place. Meanwhile, the Lakefront Protection Ordinance of 1974 merely sets out some goals and procedural steps to be followed. So the only thing required for a new museum—or for that matter a new stadium, new condo tower, or new nuclear-powered auto crusher and slaughterhouse—right next to the lakefront is for the Plan Commission to vote twice.
Ooh ooh, I vote 'Chicago Auto-Crusher-Slaughterhouse Stadium Bar and Grill' - I'm thinking 150,000 GSF of a Blues Brothers/Ferris Bueller's design mash-up, with a large, arena-like stadium where Victory Auto Wreckers brings out jalopies and crushers them with a giant, mechanical Mrs. O'Leary's cow machine while audiences from around the country watch in delight. Please and thank you. How can we get this going? (It's Friday and I'm exhausted from the work week - humor me please )

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 6:36 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Lol, I vote for a new slaughterhouse next to north ave beach!!!! Freshly slaughtered grassfed beef delievered to your door daily! I'm sure the foodie community would be on board too.
Sorry, I proposed that last year it only passed the Plan Commission once.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 6:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I just saw these trucks at the empty lot at Lake and Stetson. They could just be holding for a delivery somewhere nearby. That lot (and the road itself) could definitely use some love, considering the rocket pace at which N Mich has been developing a block away.
Those are Stevenson's counterweights for a couple pretty big cranes. My guess is that they're for the Riverwalk project. You did get my hopes up for a brief half-second.. I'm still pretty sour about the failed Mandarin Oriental. I'd settle for just about anything there at this point.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 7:03 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
... I think locally [Google] are mostly just ad sales types though.
They have a little legal presence, too - a friend of mine is a paralegal for them here.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 7:16 PM
Marina City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post

Thanks for that clarification. And I guess I meant to refer to Ward before and not Field.
So, if they covered the IC tracks for a Lucas Museum, would that break any of Burnham or Wards plans? I think Chicago needs to offer an impressive location to Lucas, or his Museum will end up in SF.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 7:32 PM

WTF, you might be on to something interesting here. Look closely, it looks like there are fresh tracks from a grader or something across the entire site. Is the PD for the Mandarin Oriental from before the crash still in place? Could it be possible someone is planning on building something here as of right under those conditions?

I doubt those counterweights are for the riverwalk, I can't think of anything large enough to require such a crane along the walk. Then again, I can't think of anything large enough to require such a crane if they were to be building a skyscraper here. What on earth is going on? I can't think of anything else they could be staging? Maybe the crane is to be set up in Maggie Daley Park to do some heavy lifting???

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 8:18 PM
BANNED

^I noticed those tracks too, LVDW. The Riverwalk cranes are my best and only guess because of: 1. They've been pile driving for well over a month, and I'm thinking it's now time for the platform beams which will require heavy lifting. 2. The black color scheme- most of the other cranes in the area don't match. 3. Logistics of that lot in relation to the riverwalk just makes sense. 4. I can't picture any other projects that require such lifting.

Since we all know that groundbreaking doesn't begin with cranes or counterweights, it's unlikely that the trucks are for this site... but WHY is the site freshly graded?

I hope you learned a lesson here, Weird'..next time just shout down there and ask them! Haha happy Friday, all.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 8:29 PM

Quote:
I think this is the location where they were proposing a Mandarin Hotel at one point. I wish that that had been built! This lot definitely needs to be built on.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 8:30 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
... I'd settle for just about anything there at this point.
I don't know if I would settle for ANYTHING there, that seems a bit impatient. I think this spot is perfect for some high density residential development, and I think 200 N Michigan will spur the development of this site. Something dense on this site could really create some decent foot traffic to and from Boul Mich, and maybe even better connect LSE to the rest of the city (maybe wishful thinking). No sir, I don't mind this site sitting empty till just the right moment.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yes, they already did around or over a month ago. I have a friend who works there and he's been there at least a month and says the space is awesome. Google sold it to Lenovo, but part of the deal was that they'd have to be in that space.
Ok thanks guys (Marothisu and jc5680) for the info!! Greatly appreciated.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 8:32 PM

Maybe they are just cleaning up the site because they are going to use it to stage everything for the Riverwalk there. Beams and all. Wish it were the Mandarin though also.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
They have a little legal presence, too - a friend of mine is a paralegal for them here.
I know some people who have had interviews for engineering jobs at Google locally. I think they're indeed building out their engineering force, despite claims to the contrary.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 12:55 AM

^^ I wasn't trying to make any "claims." Or at least my intent was not to be absolute. Of course there are engineers and other types of employees here. And clearly with the larger space they would be growing locally. That is all great. And I hope that there growth is more technologically driven. My point was really more that it seems like some of the fondness I have seen of their move is tied to google as a business and their consumer facing products and maybe not so much as what their local employees actually do. Their presence here is still largely ad sales.

From the accomplishments section on the google Chicago page

"Our advertising and enterprise sales teams work with some of the biggest companies in the world, and our online sales and operations teams help small and medium-sized businesses grow using Google products.

Our engineers have developed products like Google Web Server, DoubleClick, the Google Affiliate Network, Google+ Analytics, the Data Liberation Front and the Transparency Report.

We show up regularly on the Crain’s Chicago Business list of the best places to work in Chicago."

Last edited by jc5680; Apr 12, 2014 at 1:39 AM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 1:43 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8spires View Post
if they covered the IC tracks for a Lucas Museum, would that break any of Burnham or Wards plans?
That would break the bank, but (if south of 11th Place) not the Montgomery Ward Cases injunction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development