HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 2:55 AM

Tasteful buildings to buy in Toronto or Vancouver?

Young architect in his 20's here looking to buy in Toronto... hoping to to drop 20% down on a 700-800sf place when the bubble bursts. Unfortunately I find very few buildings and locations appealing. If Brant Park or Rivercity 1 or 3 (not 2) were located around Allan Gardens or Cabbagetown, I'd go for it in a heartbeat.

Any recommendations based on this "ideal" scenario above? I'm a fan of floor-to-ceiling glass w/o horizontal mullions, huge hater of spandrel. Hater of boxes dressed up in wavy balconies (ie Stanley/1 Bloor/Wellesley on park/etc). Preference towards angular "masculine" designs. No thin wrap-around balconies. Love large terraces and greenery, particularly water features.

Last edited by gentlepuppies; Mar 30, 2016 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 3:00 AM
Community Guy

Liberty Village, if you know, you know

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 3:02 AM

Lol never.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 3:51 AM
Aimless Wanderer

How about Post House condos?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 3:52 AM
See ya down under, mates

You won't lose your income when the bubble bursts?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 5:43 AM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
You won't lose your income when the bubble bursts?
Praying for the bubble to burst is kinda like this guy hanging out with a plastic bag in the jail cell.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 7:04 AM

It's now almost 15 years old and it's pretty ritzy, but I always liked 20 Niagara - maybe the best building aA ever designed. At least it was the one that put them on the map.

Right around the corner is Stewart street, which is one of the nicest residential side streets built in Canada in the past 20 years, and fits your description perfectly.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 10:46 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Praying for the bubble to burst is kinda like this guy hanging out with a plastic bag in the jail cell.
I have no idea what that means.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 1:55 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
I have no idea what that means.

He's an architect, praying for the real estate bubble to burst.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 4:44 PM
I am the law!

Is this a joke? Terraces but, no wrap around balconies, no spandrel, full height glass panes ...

Sorry, but, when the bubble does burst between now and 2030, the type of building you are looking for will still command a ton to purchase.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 5:07 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Something smells fishy. Highly doubt a young 20-something architect could nearly afford even a modest condo in Toronto...

Flickr®

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 5:13 PM

The water feature thing sounds a bit fishy to me. Anyway, do those exist in condos outside of Vancouver? Don't think you'll find that in Toronto condos although water features can be found in the commons and some parks perhaps.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 6:38 PM

Still don't get the prison metaphor. Lol my work doesn't involve residential/commercial, so I'll be fine.

20 Niagara is a bit boutique for me. I want many neighbours to share amenity costs with. Also the location is too urban and at risk of being crowded in by taller buildings in the future. Also not interested in paying premium for a "hip" area. I tend to gravitate east of downtown because of that, and for access to the massive ravine system. I want to live as close as possible to the heart of the city and wilderness at the same time. Yes I'm from Vancouver haha.

Whippersnapper, not sure why it's such a such a tall order; full height window wall isn't rare (ie: U condos). By "terrace", a deep usable balcony flanked by a solid wall is just as good - basically not exhibitionist diving board style (ie: Nicholas residences).

I don't think it's unrealistic to have these things in a 700-800 sf condo for about $400K after a 15% drop in prices. I'm in my mid 20's btw.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 6:39 PM

X Condos is quite a masculine/angular design in a great location.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 7:59 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlepuppies View Post
Still don't get the prison metaphor. Lol my work doesn't involve residential/commercial, so I'll be fine.

20 Niagara is a bit boutique for me. I want many neighbours to share amenity costs with. Also the location is too urban and at risk of being crowded in by taller buildings in the future. Also not interested in paying premium for a "hip" area. I tend to gravitate east of downtown because of that, and for access to the massive ravine system. I want to live as close as possible to the heart of the city and wilderness at the same time. Yes I'm from Vancouver haha.

Whippersnapper, not sure why it's such a such a tall order; full height window wall isn't rare (ie: U condos). By "terrace", a deep usable balcony flanked by a solid wall is just as good - basically not exhibitionist diving board style (ie: Nicholas residences).

I don't think it's unrealistic to have these things in a 700-800 sf condo for about $400K after a 15% drop in prices. I'm in my mid 20's btw.
Not sure if you like the ice towers but you can get a nice 1+1 bedroom in those towers for a little less than 400K and reasonable maintenance fees (for now) and great frigging views and location.

You can also get a large condo near a subway station in scarborough with amenities galore, low maintenance fees and 2 bedrooms for that price. Downtown at that price you're generally looking at either a shoebox in the sky or maintenance fees galore. Better off looking for a small townhome or low rise condo.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 9:19 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlepuppies View Post

Because it is a tall order and that was before knowing smaller buildings are out and King and Bathurst being too urban. Wilderness as it applies to the Don Valley south of Lawrence is obtainable in many parts of downtown.

Atrium on Queens Quay perhaps? aA designed (I think) Next to a string of parks. Water feature in 16 storey glass atrium.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 10:44 PM

On a semi-related note, I happen to have been wondering for a while if there are any nice yet not-too-unreasonably-priced pre-WWII condos in the downtown area of Toronto. Everything I've seen (looking quickly on MLS from time to time) was newer and not very appealing, so I dismissed it all.

(Wouldn't be for myself, therefore it would absolutely have to make sense as an investment property.)

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 11:51 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
On a semi-related note, I happen to have been wondering for a while if there are any nice yet not-too-unreasonably-priced pre-WWII condos in the downtown area of Toronto. Everything I've seen (looking quickly on MLS from time to time) was newer and not very appealing, so I dismissed it all.

(Wouldn't be for myself, therefore it would absolutely have to make sense as an investment property.)
There arent a lot of pre-ww2 condos in Toronto if any, back then they usually rented out houses. Condos/townhomes in Toronto make way more sense, the market here is so bubbly theres no way you'll get good returns renting out rooms in the core. Scarborough is by far the best investment destination for homes or condos in this city since you can get better deals (relatively speaking). All in all, Toronto is a great place to live and work but only a fool would invest in the general real estate market right now given the great investment opportunities elsewhere. Regardless, more investments by suckers means more highrises going up so the skyscraper geek in me will enjoy that at least. I say stick to your existing investment strategy since its working out well for you, Vancouver and Toronto are way overpriced with crushing property taxes (given the ridiculous valuations).

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 12:31 AM

There was the Howard Park Condo in Roncesvalles development that I was looking at a while back, but priorities in life changed. Seems to meet most of your criteria. Maybe look into that?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 3:03 AM

[QUOTE=gentlepuppies;7304198]Young architect in his 20's here looking to buy in Toronto... hoping to to drop 20% down on a 700-800sf place when the bubble bursts.

I don't think it's unrealistic to have these things in a 700-800 sf condo for about $400K after a 15% drop in prices. I'm in my mid 20's btw. QUOTE]

Be prepared to wait a loooooooong time. Also even if prices dropped 15% from todays values which they won't you'll never find a condo that size for $400k. You might get 500 sf for that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto