HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 6:48 PM
3rd Coast King

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-50mm-f...item4cf95aa16c

just buy one when you have the money. its a great lens and you will figure it out in a couple of months. this has a 1.8 aperture value. that means it will open the shutter up very wide. this will allow you to get the blurry background effect and you can take picture very fast even with low light.

My Book

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 6:21 AM

since this is still open...

Okay so I just bought the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens

I don't know which to get though for the second lens: the Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED IF AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens. It has pretty much the same range and aperture as the kit lens but includes Internal Focus which I guess would make it better to use as my
official kit lens.

or should I just get the Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens to compliment the zoom range? Plus it has Vibration Reduction which the other one doesn't and includes Internal Focus....

Also does anyone have any opinions about or finds the accessories useful such as the lense hood and the Teleconverter/extender lenses?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownCity View Post
since this is still open...

Okay so I just bought the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens

I don't know which to get though for the second lens: the Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED IF AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens. It has pretty much the same range and aperture as the kit lens but includes Internal Focus which I guess would make it better to use as my
official kit lens.

or should I just get the Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens to compliment the zoom range? Plus it has Vibration Reduction which the other one doesn't and includes Internal Focus....

Also does anyone have any opinions about or finds the accessories useful such as the lense hood and the Teleconverter/extender lenses?
I owned both lenses... let's start with the 18-70mm, after a couple of years of use it broke down and was repaired by Nikon, a couple of years later it broke down again, this time the zoom function keep jamming and despite being under warranty Nikon refused to repair the lens (google 18-70mm zoom problems) in fact those assholes wanted $200 to fix it (the lens cost $400 new) let's go to the 55-200mm-this lens is so cheaply made it would probably explode in flames if you looked at it wrong,performance wise the VR feature is useless, sharpness is bad throughout most if it's range (200mm gives decent results), the focus is sometimes slow and inaccurate, colors are off by a mile in certain shooting conditions unless you like the lobster look in people. To conclude I have to warn you that Nikon's consumer lenses are complete junk the company should be brought up on criminal charges for ripping off the public...however I must say that a person working in a large photo shop (repair department) told me that Canon lenses are even worse and break down even more often than Nikon

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 8:45 PM
3rd Coast King

Just say no to variable aperture lenses. save for the good stuff like this.....

sigma 24-70 f2.8
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sigma-24-70m...item3f0d421fab

tamron 28-75 f2.8
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TAMRON-2...item4841c38932

My Book

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 9:11 PM
Ex Houstonian

I have the 18-70 and have been using it for 7 years, it came with the D70 body when I got it. Its an awesome lens and Ive never had any problems. Id get that over the 55-200 for sure. The 55-200 is cheap. Save your money someday and buy a used 70-200 VR 1 or 2 lens and or buy a new one, they cost about 2200 new though, but you could find a used one for probably around a grand. Its worth it, dont ever cheap out on glass.

Last edited by photoLith; Aug 28, 2011 at 4:33 AM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 1:36 AM
So very tired...

Disagree with the advice here....

If you have the 18-55 already then there is absolutely zero point in getting an 18-70. You can make up the difference in focal length by stepping a few feet forward or back.

Also, while the 55-200 does feel cheap and plasticy (it is cheap and, well, made of plastic) mr Johns comments are completely hyperbolic. I have zero complaints with the lenses optical quality, and have witnessed none of his complaints as to sharpness and colour casts.

Shots I have taken with the 55-200VR:

Gibson Colour by bulliver, on Flickr

Reflecting by bulliver, on Flickr

Towers by bulliver, on Flickr

Harbin Gate by bulliver, on Flickr

Dogs by bulliver, on Flickr

Cree Dancers by bulliver, on Flickr

No, it is not the best lens on earth, but for it's low cost, I think it is a great value.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 4:26 AM

^those are definitely some really nice shots . I guess it would make more since to drop $400 now for a sigma or something and let it last what 4-5 years? instead of taking a risk and paying $1-200 every other year.... what about the lense hood and the Teleconverter/extender lenses and other accessories such as those?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 12:14 AM
So very tired...

Your choice, and your budget...as was mentioned, you should buy the best lens you can afford. Though as long as you don't chuck it on the ground, even the cheap lens will last much more than a year or two.

A lens hood should always be on to protect the outside element. Teleconverters will extend the range of your lens, but it comes with a penalty in sharpness. Rather than buy a cheap lens and a teleconverter, I would just buy a better lens.

I currently use the Nikkor 70-300mm VRII. Can be had for just under $500, and it is as sharp as you will find without paying $2200 for the 70-200. It's only drawback is the f4.5-5.5 aperture which is not good for hand-held night/low light shots. Again, the only remedy is to spend $2200 for the f/2.8

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 2:37 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
I currently use the Nikkor 70-300mm VRII. Can be had for just under $500, and it is as sharp as you will find without paying $2200 for the 70-200. It's only drawback is the f4.5-5.5 aperture which is not good for hand-held night/low light shots. Again, the only remedy is to spend $2200 for the f/2.8
Ditto on the excellent quality of the 70-300mm VR. I've been using mine for over a year, and it never has disappointed me. I seldom shoot hand-held long shots in low light, and in a pinch the D700's high ISO capability often can rescue me.

Regarding the 18-70mm kit lens that came with the D70; I bought a D70 with that lens in 2004 and used it hard with excellent results for four years before I gave the camera and lens to my brother, who still loves them. He's kind of rough on all kinds of gear, and sometimes uses the camera in damp or dusty/windy environments, and never has had any problems with it or the lens.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 2:47 PM

Even the shitty Nikkors have excellent optical quality. Nikon has excellent quality control and everything is computer optimized for the best quality in the cheapest package. I dropped my plastic 18-55 kit lens one day and it rolled down the street about 10 yards before I stopped it. It was completely fine and I later sold it after I got to the stage where I am no longer satisfied with the plasticky feel of the cheap lenses.

Also note that only in a few rare instances would I go with Sigma over Nikon brand.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 5:43 PM
3rd Coast King

just buy the good stuff if you can afford it. and dont buy a kit lens when your camera came with a kit lens.

My Book

Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 12:33 AM

Thanks for the help!

Edit: Update~ I bought the following:
  • Nikon D80 DSLR with 18-55mm ED II AF-S DX Nikkor Lens
  • Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G AF-S lens with the UV, Circular Polarizing, & Flourescent Filters and Full Lens hood
  • Nikon18-200mm AF-S ED-IF VR DX f/3.5-5.6mm lens with the Zeikos Multi-Coated UV, CPL, FLD Filters + Tiffen 6 Point Star Filter & 1-10 Macro Diopters & Tulip Hood
    (I got this lens instead of a higher prime lens because 1) I'm not afraid of photoshop if necessary, and 2) Versatility - switching between the kit lens and the 50mm lens is already annoying so having a 3rd lens to keep switching from would be even more annoying)
  • 57" Inch Tripod with Wireless Remote Control
  • 2 Extra Rechargeable Batteries
  • 16GB Memory Card
  • & a Back Pack

Once I find my comfort zone in zoom levels and subject matter I'll start looking into more expensive lenses, but I think this should do it for now...

Last edited by ChiTownCity; Sep 4, 2011 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 11:45 PM

Now I'm serious You Can Delete This Thread! to whoever created it....

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography