HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Mar 6, 2006, 7:09 AM

of course.. I agree.
Just that specific intersection/area is a complete wasteland of parking lots and a few high-rises. You can of course easily walk to dining from the future W hotel, but you'd just have to make sure you walk west or else you might get lost in the asphalt oblivion.....

But it'll soon be covered with many more mixed-use developments, to be sure.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2006, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd
Normally I'm all for adaptive reuse and buidling conservation, but enough's enough. There are tons of 80 year old buildings in Hollywood that have little historical or aesthetic value. The need for investment like the W project is critical for the longterm survival of the district, so I have no problem with a smattering of small business owners being ejected. Especially if they're compensated for their effort.
I couldn't agree with you more

Old Posted Mar 6, 2006, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb
The CIM group has leased out the space in the Hollywood Galaxy. A Longs Drug (already doing remodel construction) will sit in front of the Knitting Factory, LA Fitness is going in where all the theatres were in the back (already under construction too) and a rather large DSW shoe warehouse is also going in facing Hollywood Blvd. The building will be 100% occupied for the first time since it opened.
Good to learn things like this. The Galaxy has been like a sore spot on the blvd since its completion several yrs ago, even more so since it deserves to be in better shape, esp because of it housing the only museum devoted to Hollywood overall in the hood.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2006, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220
I looked at the virtual earth aerials of that Hollywood/Vine site..
FOUR low-rise boring buildings. How the hell are there 30 small businesses!!

Also, man it's really depressing that that used to be the most famous intersection of Hollywood because today it actually looks like it was fire-bombed. That area is about as Parking-lot dead-zone as you can get in LA unless you go to a Box-store mall in, well, actually I think you'd have to go to Anaheim.
This was the pic that went with the story in the LA Times. I'm sure if the bldgs slated for removal were worth saving, groups like the LA Conservancy would have raised a big ruckus.

HISTORY: Hollywood community leader Chris Shabel, from left, Bernard Luggage store
manager Ziggy Kruse and her boss, owner Robert Blue, stand across the street from
the building which has been condemned (Genaro Molina / LAT)

There are two shots of the location at local.live.com, one showing it from the east, and one showing it from the west.
At first I thought the block had plenty of land for new devlpt & anything else. But those overhead images make me realize how just a few large new bldgs on it will fill it up fast.

It's ridiculous that it's taken so long for such major sites in the hood to be fixed up, so they're more than just a desert of parking lots & shabby small bldgs.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2006, 7:57 PM

^ Just look at that trashy building in that pic. Honestly, how can the owner show his face when he keeps his property in such shitty condition?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 6:22 AM

NY Times, March 8, 2006

What's Missing From Hollywood? Office Space

By MORRIS NEWMAN

LOS ANGELES, March 7 — An unremarkable office building in Hollywood from the 1970's might seem an unlikely candidate for a Cinderella story. With an aging exterior of black glass and a billboard on the roof, the building, 1800 Highland, was nearly empty until recently. Its few tenants paid rent month to month. This month, however, the CIM Group of Los Angeles, the largest private landlord in Hollywood, plans to give the humble 80,000-square-foot building the star treatment. Driven by the demand for scarce office space in this reviving district, CIM plans to pull down the rooftop billboard and replace the tired exterior with a sleek new glass skin.

For years, 1800 Highland Avenue "sat there with signs on it in a relatively run-down condition," said Steven Tronson, vice president of Ramsey-Schilling Real Estate Services, a local real estate brokerage firm, "and now it's being repositioned as a Class A office building." Even with the building draped in construction cloth as work begins, CIM says it has received "substantial interest" from entertainment-related companies looking for space in the building, which it bought in 2004 for $14 million. No new office buildings have been built in Hollywood since the mid-1970's, and until recently there has been little demand from large-scale entertainment tenants, who typically looked for space in Santa Monica, Beverly Hills or Burbank.

The planned rebirth of 1800 Highland Avenue is also part of a larger attempt by CIM to manage its office properties — it also owns residential buildings and retail space in the area — following a districtwide strategy in which it will try to achieve a balance among the different segments of the market that it owns. "Hollywood Boulevard is a multiheaded beast," said John Given, the CIM principal in charge of investment and development. "There are layers of different uses and user groups on the boulevard and that gives Hollywood Boulevard a 24-7 context."

"We understand that Hollywood is many lifestyles, many cultures and many different demographics," he added, "and that makes it possible for us to acquire buildings in a variety of locations."

The company is trying to respond to the real estate market by noting the changes from block to block within a two-mile stretch of Hollywood Boulevard. That stretch includes familiar tourist attractions like Grauman's Chinese Theater, as well as the bulk of the district's office buildings. National chains like Virgin Records may need a big, splashy location to appeal to both tourists and local residents. Chic new restaurants like Geisha House, and specialty shops like American Apparel, on the other hand, tend to thrive in older low-rise buildings in slightly less-trafficked areas, where they are within walking distance of the growing number of people in their 20's and 30's either living and working in Hollywood, or both. Production companies and other entertainment-related businesses, meanwhile, are trawling the market, often for large-scale office space, but finding little.

CIM's approach is "quite visionary," said Helmi Hisserich, the Hollywood regional administrator for the Los Angeles Community Redevelopment Agency, which has jurisdiction over much of Hollywood Boulevard. The firm, she adds, "really views Hollywood as an entire district."

"They are not tackling it one building at a time, but one big market segment at a time," she said.

CIM was founded in 1994 by two Israeli-born developers — Shaul Kuba and Avi Shemesh — with Richard Ressler, a financial professional and former employee of Drexel Burnham Lambert, the investment banking firm. The company enjoyed its first big success in Santa Monica, on the Third Street Promenade, a three-block shopping street in a redevelopment area of that oceanfront city, where CIM became the largest single landlord. The Promenade was a mixed-use district, and CIM learned to respond to the market with the type of development that seemed warranted — housing, shops or office space — in new and existing buildings.

In Hollywood, CIM benefited from good timing and perhaps a bit of luck. Drawing on a fund underwritten by two of the nation's largest public pension funds, the California Public Employees Retirement System and the California State Teachers Retirement System, the company bought its first Hollywood building in 1997, well before the current vogue for the district gathered steam. Formerly shunned by Los Angeles residents, Hollywood Boulevard had a reputation as a mean street where teenage runaways, drug dealers and would-be rock stars wandered in a landscape of tacky souvenir shops. It was easy to dismiss the boulevard as the dark side of the entertainment industry.

With an inventory of 10 commercial and residential buildings in Hollywood and an 11th in escrow, CIM is "the most enthusiastic investor to come into this area in the last 10 years," Mr. Tronson said.

In February 2004, CIM undertook its largest and perhaps biggest challenge in Hollywood, by buying the 640,000-square-foot Hollywood and Highland complex for $201 million. The developer and seller, Trizec-Hahn of Toronto, took a reported $360 million write-down on the project. The building had opened in 2001 to hostile reviews and lukewarm sales. Many local residents disliked the complex — a 640-room hotel, retail space, a multiplex cinema and the Kodak Theater, home to the Oscar ceremonies — that seemed to some an overscaled intrusion of corporate America, with national chain stores dominating the tenant mix.

CIM's approach has been to find tenants more in tune with the young consumers Mr. Given identified as one of several pivotal customer groups in Hollywood. Earlier this year, a Virgin Megastore moved into the building. Another new tenant is Lucky Brand Dungarees, while the landlord is in negotiations with Damon Wayans and Keenen Ivory Wayans to open a comedy club in the complex. "You come to Hollywood and hope for something special and they deliver on that," Ms. Hisserich said.

CIM has also been one of many developers to capitalize on the Hollywood housing craze, converting two former office buildings into 101 rental apartments. Other developers have been building or converting office buildings into condominiums, which are getting up to $800 a square foot. The runaway housing market, in fact, has caused concern among Hollywood watchers, who say Hollywood needs more office space to remain a viable business center. Housing, however, is typically more profitable than office space, and that difference in real estate values threatens to displace office development, Ms. Hisserich said.

"There's a lot of pressure from the housing market, and we are somewhat concerned that the big commercial parcels are being snapped up for housing," she said.

The redevelopment agency, in fact, is prepared to "fast track" the normally time-consuming process of obtaining government approvals for any developer who can put together the land for a project. The CIM Group is one of two developers that have agreements with the agency to move forward with office construction. (CIM is in escrow on the property in question and will not comment further.)

Currently, Hollywood is viewed as a relative bargain, compared with entertainment hubs like Santa Monica to the west and Burbank to the north.

Ms. Hisserich sees a pleasant oddity in Hollywood's apparent ascendancy in the regional office market. "I am getting calls all the time from entertainment firms looking for space," she said. "It's nice to see," she added, "that the entertainment industry has taken notice of Hollywood."

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 7:34 AM

Great!! hopefully those lots north of Hollywood on highland will disappear and all the strip malls int he area can be redevloped with miced use projects akin to all the developments on Vine and we can REALLY turn the corner in Hollywood.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 8:28 AM

I talked to NBC about considering locating Conan to Hollywood (or Downtown LA) when he replaces Leno in 2009. I'm hoping either of the two will happen because we need to start centralizing all aspects into the urban core.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 8:37 AM
BANNED

wow, this across from MJs sunset/vine and nederlander's proposed W complex? that's going to be one happening focum of mixed use. and it's not just these big developments either - the smaller strips are getting tenants too - just look at cahuenga these days.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 4:31 PM
Peace be with us

I just hope that all this private redevelopment of Hollywood is accompanied by some public redevelopment such as improved streetscaping, signage requirements, street/sidewalk repairs, and neighborhood cohesiveness.

I drove up Vine all the way from Melrose to the 101 early this morning and I have to say it is one of the ugliest streets in LA. Shamefully ugly. I would be embarrased to bring guests from out of town if it wasn't for the amazing change to see when it becomes Rossmore just south of Melrose (and becomes Hancock Park).

To me, Vine is on the intersection (and nadir) of two different urban geographic gradients. To the west of Vine you have more money and better taken care of public boulevards and buildings. To the east of Vine you have grander architecture, grand enough to overcome the visible blight. Vine sits on the intersection of these two and has the worst of both -- blighted appearance without the architectural splendor to compensate. Westlake is nicer IMO as it is more blighted, but the stately architecture and mature trees more than make up for the lack of upkeep.

These projects are sorely needed to improve Vine, one of the international showpieces of LA. At least it is getting taken care of north of Sunset. South of Sunset... well, we will just have to wait.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 7:06 PM

Hollywood is definitely turning a corner, but it's not out of the woods just yet.

I think a map/wayfinding system like they have in place Downtown would work wonders for Hollywood. Think about how much traffic is caused by tourists (driving, of course, 'cos no one walks in LA) looking for the Chinese Theater or the Capitol Records building or whatever.

They could even have a few Hollywood Blvd. Star lists on certain intersections, i.e., on the corner of Hollywood&Highland have a sign that states "East of here lies the stars of Elvis, x, y, z," "West of here are the stars of ...." It doesn't have to be too big, but it would be kinda cool to be able to find your favorite actor/singer's star easily.

Public infrastructure needs some upgrading, but the street lamps look great.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 8:38 PM

i agree big time with the need for street and landscaping improvements. why is this always an afterthought in LA?? i dont understand and it pisses me off. I like the idea of wayfinding signs Raiossi.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapGoulet
I have to say it is one of the ugliest streets in LA. Shamefully ugly. I would be embarrased to bring guests from out of town if it wasn't for the amazing change to see when it becomes Rossmore just south of Melrose (and becomes Hancock Park).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan
why is this always an afterthought in LA?? i dont understand and it pisses me off.

I wonder if the typical NIMBYite in LA would be such a NIMBYite if they saw things the same way?

Do such ppl ever ask, why are our streets so ugly & why is nobody doing much about that??

Instead they seem to worry only about projs being too big or tall, about loss of sunlight, backyard privacy or views, & too much traffic.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 4:19 AM
Environmental Sabotage

The Madrone

Here we go with the Madrone

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 7:55 AM

what is this replacing?? that whole block is built up. is it next to garden of eden?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 6:06 PM
Ridin' The Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch
I wonder if the typical NIMBYite in LA would be such a NIMBYite if they saw things the same way?

Do such ppl ever ask, why are our streets so ugly & why is nobody doing much about that??

Instead they seem to worry only about projs being too big or tall, about loss of sunlight, backyard privacy or views, & too much traffic.
I think many NIMBYs in Hollywood would argue that their neighborhood doesn't get improvements, like streetlights, fixed potholes, etc., because all the focus is on the big developments along Hollywood Blvd.

I think it's important that if the surrounding area is going to endure the impacts (traffic, loss of sunlight, etc.) of these fabulous new developments, then it should also share in the infrastructure improvements. This is how you get rid of the NIMBY attitude. Otherwise what you get is a glittering boulevard surrounded by pissed-off neighbors.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 6:20 PM

^ That may be the case in a few instances, but it doesn't explain all the NIMBYism in hoods like Beverly Hills or Hancock Pk, where many ppl still make a big (or even bigger) stink about projs being too big or too tall, or some ordinance being ignored or zoning law being too generous. All this in spite of their generally not being unhappy about getting too little love & attention from the pols down at city hall.

They may also yell about new devlpt creating too much congestion, but they sure as hell don't want streets near them widened or fwys built a few blocks away. Many of them also don't take things like trains or subways that seriously either. IOW, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb
Here we go with the Madrone

I wish more devlprs, esp those whose projs have been in limbo for awhile, had such detailed info like that. Or finalized updates containing specific bullet points that somehow could make their way beyond just the mailbox.

I'd give anything to see similar letters, titled "Medallion", & "Concerto", printed right about now.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 7:26 PM
Ridin' The Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch
^ That may be the case in a few instances, but it doesn't explain all the NIMBYism in hoods like Beverly Hills or Hancock Pk...
Um, I thought we were talking about Hollywood. Note the name of the thread.

MapGoulet described Rossmore/Vine becoming ugly once it comes out of Hancock Park. If anything, that's an argument for NIMBYs. As much as I dislike them, at least Hancock Park makes sure that the city takes care of their streets.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2006, 6:54 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan
what is this replacing?? that whole block is built up. is it next to garden of eden?
If you're referring to the Madrone it's replacing this:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West