HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Trans National Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Boston Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 19, 2006, 5:29 AM
Resident Composer

I too, thought this was about South Station at first. I also didn't know it was canceled. UGH. I had always thought a great idea for a Boston skyscraper would be to straddle over the reclaimed land (soon to be parkland?) from the Big Dig. There is now a whole stretch of some of the most prime real estate in the nation when the elevated highway came down. This all makes me want to move back even more.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2006, 7:55 AM

I dont see whats to get excited about. Just because the mayor wants it, doesnt mean any company sees the need to build it.

As I said in the northeast forum, he probably wants to get the attention on growth, rather than his phonebooth murder campaign (and other strange anti-crime persuits).

Old Posted Feb 19, 2006, 8:17 AM
BeenThere,DoneThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
I dont see whats to get excited about. Just because the mayor wants it, doesnt mean any company sees the need to build it.

As I said in the northeast forum, he probably wants to get the attention on growth, rather than his phonebooth murder campaign (and other strange anti-crime persuits).
Exactly....wishing won't make it happen......and what about the next mayor.....how does he feel about it?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2006, 1:07 PM
arf

News story: Mayor of Boston voted out by NIMBYs.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2006, 1:09 PM

I thought Boston had a high office vacancy rate?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2006, 3:53 PM
Angry Sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altauria
I too, thought this was about South Station at first. I also didn't know it was canceled. UGH. I had always thought a great idea for a Boston skyscraper would be to straddle over the reclaimed land (soon to be parkland?) from the Big Dig. There is now a whole stretch of some of the most prime real estate in the nation when the elevated highway came down. This all makes me want to move back even more.
The roof of the Central Artery Tunnel simply cannot support a highrise.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2006, 3:56 PM
Angry Sober

Quote:

Politicians in Boston have mad clout. I would not at all be surprised to see this thing go up in about 7 years or do. I believe in time many companies will bid on this tower, due to the publicity this project will recieve.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2006, 4:05 PM
BANNED

I did read that in the Boston Herald yesterday.

One developer wants to make it 65 floors to surpass the John Hancock Tower.
And it looks as though twin spires will be placed on top.

Reminiscent of the JHC and Sears Tower in Chicago.

Last edited by Daquan13; Feb 21, 2006 at 12:12 AM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2006, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy
I thought Boston had a high office vacancy rate?

Boston's Office Market Bounces Back

By Beverly Ford
December 20, 2005

BOSTON - For the first time in five years, the city's office market experienced its first resurgence in leasing activity in 2005 with more than 1.6 million sf of positive absorption, a report released by CB Richard Ellis/New England found. The office vacancy rate in Boston, which has about 66 million sf of office space, dropped to 11.7 % with just two weeks left in the year, declining 1.5% from 13.2% at the end of 2004.

David Fitzgerald, executive vice president and partner with CBRE/New England, tells GlobeSt.com that 2005 marked a turning point for Downtown Boston's commercial market. He says the turnaround is due in large part to the growth of both new and existing companies, increased tenant demand and a continued flight to quality by businesses seeking to capitalize on rental rates.

Fueling the demand, says Fitzgerald, was the growth of small to mid-sized companies which helped tighten the city's overall inventory and pushed up the average rental rate slightly from $33.02 to $34.38 per sf. The conversion of two million sf of office space to residential also constricted availability, he notes.

The report, which covered Boston's Central Business District (Charlestown, Fort Point Channel, Midtown, North Station/Waterfront, South Station, Dorchester, Allston-Brighton/Longwood and Fenway/Kenmore Square neighborhoods) also found there was more than 2.5 million sf of gross leasing activity and more than 200 transactions in the city last year. Of that activity, more than a million sf was sublease space that was either leased, taken off the market or had terms expire.

While every area of the city benefited from the resurgence, Fitzgerald says the Back Bay and the CBD benefited the most. The Fort Point Channel area and the Leather District and South Station areas also showed considerable improvement. The strong demand for office space has benefited owners as well as the tightening market forced the average rent up slightly from $33.02 per sf to $34.38 per sf.

Rents continued to remain strong in high-rise office space in the city's class A towers as well where asking rents have increased to the low $50s per sf and in some cases reached the low $60s. Conversely, rents for low-rise space has remained flat, averaging between the high $20s and high $30s per sf. Companies also rushed to complete deals for discounted rates before the market cycle turned and rents increased, according to the report.

--------

So to answer your question, not really. There's been speculation lately about space needs some 5-10 years down the road, and I believe that's where Menino is hoping interest will (eventually) come from.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2006, 3:12 AM

From a recent newspaper article...

"Rick Hersey, a real estate broker from Westford who prefers suburban sprawl to skyscrapers, reacted to the idea of a new tall tower in an e-mail to the Globe.

''What's Mayor Menino doing, designing something with 70 or 80 stories, after what we went through Sept. 11?" Hersey said in a telephone interview. ''I thought everybody had learned their lesson, to plan cities without possible targets."

I actually take offense to that statement as an American and as a skyscraper and Boston enthousiast.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2006, 3:22 AM

Yep, it's a cryin' shame what that guy said. By that logic, our cities should contain nothing - NOTHING - that sticks out in the slightest bit, so in no way in anyone's mind can they construe something as of more importance than the building next to it.

80 story skyscraper? City Hall/municipal building? Recycling facility? Nope, sorry Mr. Mayor, they're without a doubt targets to the evildoers. Zoning allows for construction of 1-story adobe huts and nothing else. It's our only choice if we want to win the war!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2006, 4:10 AM
Resident Composer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsConanOBrien

"Rick Hersey, a real estate broker from Westford who prefers suburban sprawl to skyscrapers, reacted to the idea of a new tall tower in an e-mail to the Globe.

''What's Mayor Menino doing, designing something with 70 or 80 stories, after what we went through Sept. 11?" Hersey said in a telephone interview. ''I thought everybody had learned their lesson, to plan cities without possible targets."

I actually take offense to that statement as an American and as a skyscraper and Boston enthousiast.
Well, if I were your typical sleezy, disgusting, and lying businessman that saw something that threatened my base (as this Hersey seems to be), I'd use the emotions and manipulate the sentiments of the public as well. It's a similar tactic as, say, when politicians hold children up as metaphorical shields against opposition while shouting "think of the children!". Ok, now I think I'm just roaming off topic. My appologies.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2006, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsConanOBrien

The same article talks about how "some" are against it because they like the parking garage that currently exsists there.

Right.

I hate when articles use the word some.

World hunger abolished but some not yet satisfied!

The article did answer the question on why Menino proposed this: the land is owned by the city.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2006, 2:30 PM

Quote:
The same article talks about how "some" are against it because they like the parking garage that currently exsists there.

Right.

I hate when articles use the word some.

World hunger abolished but some not yet satisfied!
There will always be a few idiots who are against anything. It really points to the paper or source. First of all, finding someone against something just to have the opposing point of view (no matter how marginalized) is poor reporting. Secondly, they find a suburban real estate broker to give a counterpoint. The man has a blatant conflict of interest. Of course he is going to be against it.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2006, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Mayor Thomas M. Menino yesterday called for construction of the city's tallest building ever -- a 70- to 80-story tower reaching 1,000 feet high (...) to demonstrate Boston's confidence in its future.

Is Boston a fast growing chinese metropolis ?
I hope that this project won't be given a name that will demonstrate Bonston's "confidence".

Old Posted Feb 21, 2006, 7:03 AM
A before E

nice, so when he is done there would he like a mayor job over here in Portland because I would love to see somthing that tall here.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2006, 12:36 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGarcia
Here's a rendering.

It looks like one of the BBB site plans for the WTC in NYC: what exactly is "world class" about it?

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Feb 22, 2006, 12:40 AM
Angry Sober

^ it's not the real tower, it's just how a 1000 footer might look in the skyline.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2006, 12:43 AM
Frigidus Maximus

- How do you do THAT? Have no people in the city?

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Feb 22, 2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech

- How do you do THAT? Have no people in the city?
Bingo!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive