HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 9:27 PM

Certainly residential units on the North Shore would appeal to athletes, coaches and front office people of both teams if nothing else.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 9:58 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'd rather live in Downtown myself, but being right across a bridge or a short free T ride away is pretty good too.

And incidentally, hotels have succeeded on the North Shore, in this supposed desolate unappealing wasteland.
Hotels also work well when you have major employment centers right nearby, along with major entertainment venues. The hotels in the North Shore also tend to be a bit cheaper than the ones downtown, I'm assuming with the exception of Steelers game days and such.

Just because hotels do well doesn't necessarily mean residential will do well. It might, don't get me wrong, but I'm not necessarily sure. Residents and hotel guests look at quite different things when making decisions as far as location are concerned.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minivan Werner View Post
Certainly residential units on the North Shore would appeal to athletes, coaches and front office people of both teams if nothing else.
I think those people would be the last to have interest in living there.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 12:42 AM

Had the North Shore been planned properly from the start, it could have been an excellent place in which to live. There should have housing that emulated nearby neighborhoods just as much of the housing in the South Side Works does. Of course, it was never going to happen as long as the Rooney's called all of the shots. The stadiums broke ground in 1999. It will be twenty plus years before there will be a full build out between the stadiums. Given the quality and density(or lack thereof) of Continental's development, it should have been done in only five years or so. Look what is going on around the Washington National's ballpark. There must be 10+ cranes in the air. I know Pittsburgh is not DC, but this comment about not being able to build two buildings simultaneously that are nearby is insulting.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 1:02 AM
Northsider

Maybe in another decade, the Steelers will try to demand a new stadium since Heinz will be almost as old as Three Rivers was and we can tell them to go packing to Moon or Cranberry and take the land back for more productive use.

Or maybe the head injury issue will kill off the NFL and we won't have to worry about that stupid game any more.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Waver View Post
Had the North Shore been planned properly from the start, it could have been an excellent place in which to live. There should have housing that emulated nearby neighborhoods just as much of the housing in the South Side Works does. Of course, it was never going to happen as long as the Rooney's called all of the shots. The stadiums broke ground in 1999. It will be twenty plus years before there will be a full build out between the stadiums. Given the quality and density(or lack thereof) of Continental's development, it should have been done in only five years or so. Look what is going on around the Washington National's ballpark. There must be 10+ cranes in the air. I know Pittsburgh is not DC, but this comment about not being able to build two buildings simultaneously that are nearby is insulting.
To a significant portion of the regional population, Pittsburgh still isn’t much of anything without Steelers, Pirates, Penguins... so much so that the area’s identity and psyche is shaped by those teams (particularly by the Steelers, unfortunately). Therefore, politicians aren’t going to be too forceful with them to do anything they don’t really want to do. The quarterback still rules the high school around here.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 2:09 AM

Was doing some digging and saw AMPD group (behind Ten Penny, Steel Cactus, Social House 7, Local...), is working on a new concept called "The Standard Market and Pint House" that is 'coming soon' to Penn Ave. I have to assume downtown given their existing downtown spots, which makes me think they might be part of that two story infill project that came up in one of the planning presentations months ago, 929 Penn Ave I believe.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
Was doing some digging and saw AMPD group (behind Ten Penny, Steel Cactus, Social House 7, Local...), is working on a new concept called "The Standard Market and Pint House" that is 'coming soon' to Penn Ave. I have to assume downtown given their existing downtown spots, which makes me think they might be part of that two story infill project that came up in one of the planning presentations months ago, 929 Penn Ave I believe.
I think it's taking over the former Sonoma Grille/Le Lyonnais location on the 900 block.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 6:47 PM

As I understand it, the Crosstown deck park is now fully greenlit:

https://triblive.com/local/allegheny...own-expressway

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Phillips new regional HQ in Bakery Square 3.0 will house 1,250 employees! This is all but 450 of the total employment of the company in the region.

It sounds like these are not new jobs, but relocated jobs from elsewhere in the region, but it's a major boost to the employment node which is going to have spill-over effects on rentals, housing prices, commercial options, etc.
1250 more people working at Bakery Square !?

That's going to have a big impact on the surrounding neighborhoods! Over a thousand white collar people will be commuting there and frequenting local businesses after work. Of course with that will come both good and bad. To me the overall effect will be positive. Pittsburgh needs more jobs, residents and density to support its oversized infrastructure.

Does anyone know if this will involve closing other offices such as the ones on 380 in Murraysville?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
Does anyone know if this will involve closing other offices such as the ones on 380 in Murraysville?
The article says that their entire white collar workforce in the Pittsburgh region will be housed in Bakery Square 3.0. this means the Murrysville office, along with the ones in the North Hills, will presumably be vacated.

AFAIK, this is the single biggest relocation of jobs from the suburbs to the city in the last decade. It would be roughly equivalent of if Dicks Sporting Goods moved into town. Though of course since it's just a regional HQ it's not going to get much press.

Last edited by eschaton; Jul 4, 2018 at 2:02 AM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Murraysville
Murrysville

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
Pittsburgh needs more jobs, residents and density to support its oversized infrastructure.
“Oversized infrastructure” for the 1950s. Pittsburgh does not have oversized infrastructure for 2018. The silly notion that thousands and thousands of tech newcomers will cram into rowhouse and dilapidated neighborhoods is hilarious. Be careful what you wish for.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 4:07 AM

Certainly we will need to build new units for a lot of the incoming tech workers, but we are doing that already. And in the greater scheme, a few thousands of units isn't that many.

When you start talking more like 10s of thousands of new units, then at some point we would likely need to expand serious development into more areas. We still do have capacity along the East Busway, but at some point we would likely need new rapid transit infrastructure to keep up (unless driverless cars can solve all those problems, but that remains to be seen).

We definitely couldn't do 100s of thousands of new units without massive infrastructure investment.

So I think it is reasonable to start looking ahead about this, since it can take so long in our country to get anything built. But the crisis is likely not coming within the next few years (absent perhaps Amazon HQ2 coming here, but then I assume we would be talking about serious investment to accommodate that--if not, I would not come here if I was running Amazon).

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 6:52 PM

7/10 Planning Commission presentation now online. Six new items this week:

1. A proposed rezoning of three blighted blocks of California-Kirkbride from residential attached, medium density (R1A-M) to Neighborhood Industrial (NI). Nothing is in this area now other than vacant lots (mostly owned by the city or Mistik) and two surviving rowhouses. Despite being rezoned to industrial, there appear to be no plans to add industrial to the area. Instead the developer (almost certainy Mistik) wants to use the ability to build multifamily in NI areas to build an apartment block on this now vacant block. The two rezoned blocks to the east would be merged, with Doll Way eliminated and California Avenue narrowed (presumably buying out the last two holdout houses) to build a community center. Infill of vacant lots outside the scope of rezoning would add additional semi-attached units (looks like 15 in all).

2. A new single-family home at 1401 Grandview on Mount Washington. Currently, this lot is taken up by an old frame house chopped into apartments. I feel like this was put before the Planning Commission once in the past, though I could be confusing it with another property. It's a shame that it will be a net reduction in units, but not surprising given the location.

3. Window replacement at 4760 Centre Avenue. Looks like all sides of the building will be involved. Unfortunately they're doing nothing about the glass block windows on the facade or the first-story windows which don't match the rest of the building. Basically a minor job only going to the PC because it's in the Baum-Centre corridor.

4. Another Mt. Washington project, just down the street, at 1411 Grandview. Basically minor exterior changes, including removal of the Sweetbriar Street canopy, new driveways, landscaping, lighting, and signage.

5. Minor rehab work on The Heinz History Center. The current three swing doors at the front entrance will be replaced by two swing doors and one revolving door.

6. Last, and certainly not least, one of the several "Mellon's Orchard" projects is before the PC. This is one at the corner of Station Street and N. Euclid - where a parking lot currently exists. The plan is to build 12 live-work units - townhouses which will face on N Beatty Street (which will connect through the development) and 35 units of "walkup" apartments along Station Street and N Euclid. A later development phase will extend new construction south of Harvard Street. I'm a bit let down that the plan does not call for sharpening the "wide angle turn" at that corner. There will still be 33 spaces of off-street parking tucked away in the back of the block. Design is pretty blah contemporary, but usually they are in PFHA-funded units, unless they go new traditional. It certainly beats a vacant lot, however. I'm also curious what uses will be allowed by right in the live-work spaces. The area is zoned UNC, which would presumably let people open up a number of small shops or offices along the new block of N Beatty.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
“Oversized infrastructure” for the 1950s. Pittsburgh does not have oversized infrastructure for 2018. The silly notion that thousands and thousands of tech newcomers will cram into rowhouse and dilapidated neighborhoods is hilarious. Be careful what you wish for.
I don’t think it is at all laughable to suggest there is a demand for small, affordable urban homes. And dilapidated urban neighborhoods are coming back. That’s why there is an uproar about gentrification.

It would be a good thing if neighborhoods filled back in to a typical vacancy rate. Services and overhead would be split among a higher population. All the utility hookups are there and our governments are already sized for a higher population, etc. So that is what I’m wishing for, wishing as hard as I can.

(As a Wilkinsburg resident, my property tax is going down 10% next year. I would love to see “newcomers cram into rowhouses and dilapidated neighborhoods”. My taxes would be cut in half.)

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 11:04 PM

We've obviously seen increased interest (and property values) in some formerly rundown rowhouse areas, and I expect that to continue. I also agree there are efficiencies and underutilized services and systems which can be unlocked.

That said, it won't be as simple as more people moving in and nothing else changing. We'll have to continue making strategic investments and upgrades, but fortunately we can probably both fund all that AND cut tax rates thanks to a growing tax base.

The real problem as I see it isn't local. We've got all this money going to the state and federal governments, and they are not always so interested in giving urban areas back their fair share, or they do it with strings attached that make it a lot less useful than it could be. Of course we share that problem with other metro areas, and I am hopeful more and more suburbanites are realizing they really have a common interest in making sure their local central cities are doing well and getting a fair deal.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 3:10 AM

Quote:

Great news!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 1:42 PM

So presumably in response to critiques, Buncher has revised its plans for the "public plaza" between the two proposed new apartment buildings:

The parking area for prospective new residents still isn't great, but I understand why they want it, and overall I am OK with the design now.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 4:37 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:

For anybody who didn't click the link: It is scheduled to start construction in 2019 and take 27 months so that means right now we are looking at it being complete sometime by 2022.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations