HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Montreal Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Montreal Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 7:32 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumors View Post
Seeing the building from this angle actually makes me rather like it. With all other angles my reaction ranges from bored to horrified.

A big part of why this building doesn't work is that it needed a rich or vibrant colour. The colour scheme of Montreal highrises tends to be very cold and bland - greys, blacks, beige, etc. The angles and massing of this building show it's trying to be fun and funky, but having more interesting colouring could have really brought this guy to life.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 12:34 PM
Give us a kiss

Colour may be one factor, but for me the real problem is the roofline. That little inexplicable stump, the jumble of mechanical penthouses of random shapes and heights - it is just a complete afterthought. And of course the height-to-width ratio makes it very disgraceful, sort of an overgrown, hastily updated Crystal de la montagne.

I hate it more every time I see it. The only interesting feature is the base, with the somewhat elegant stone cladding on university and the red brick in the back (for whatever reason I enjoy the dash of colour)

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big T View Post
Colour may be one factor, but for me the real problem is the roofline. That little inexplicable stump, the jumble of mechanical penthouses of random shapes and heights - it is just a complete afterthought. And of course the height-to-width ratio makes it very disgraceful, sort of an overgrown, hastily updated Crystal de la montagne.

I hate it more every time I see it. The only interesting feature is the base, with the somewhat elegant stone cladding on university and the red brick in the back (for whatever reason I enjoy the dash of colour)
You are right about the base; it meshes very well with the street wall of University and the use of grey stone is great. But the rest of the tower is a true eyesore, very disappointing.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 4:52 PM

Bah, it's really not that bad. As mentioned earlier, it's still far better than a stupid hole in the fabric and some blinds in there might liven the facade up.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 6:17 PM
The good old days are now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
You are right about the base; it meshes very well with the street wall of University and the use of grey stone is great. But the rest of the tower is a true eyesore, very disappointing.
I have to disagree with you guys about the base. It's the part I like the least about the tower. If the entire base had been done the way it is on the corner of University/Cathcart, I would have liked it a lot. However, instead it's a complete mess of far too many glass balconies and window wall cladding. The whole base should have been done in stone, including the balconies (like on the corner of Cathcart). Having said that, I don't mind the red brick in the back as much as I thought I would.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 8:41 PM

from the second floor on a St-Catherine Shop.

Last edited by frenchcanadian3; Aug 15, 2013 at 9:37 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchcanadian3 View Post
from the second floor on a St-Catherine Shop.
I cant see your pic, what a tease!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 9:29 PM
More transit please

My pic.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 12:51 AM
Look at me!

Nice picture.

The building, not so much.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 1:27 AM
More transit please

I'm also not crazy about it. From the Bonaventure Expressway it looks like a pile of buildings badly glued together. I also don't like the cladding, it's dull and adds nothing special to the skyline. The tower is barely noticed.

Last edited by SkahHigh; Oct 31, 2013 at 3:19 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 1:28 AM
The good old days are now

This is the building's most flattering angle. At least this angle is tolerable. I can't stand to look at it from René-Lévesque.

Altitude by Sebastien Morin, on Flickr

Last edited by MTLskyline; Oct 11, 2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Added photo

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive