HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 7:05 PM

2015 FIFA Women's World Cup Canadian host Cities announced

FIFA and the Prime Minister just announced which cities will be playing host to the FIFA Women's World Cup in 2015.

Soccer/Football may not be as huge in Canada as it is elsewhere in the world, but this is awesome news for these cities and Canadians in general.

The host cities announced are:
Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Montreal, and Moncton

Pretty neat. Should be a great way to show the diversity within the country come 2015, and these are great cities for the world to watch.

www.tsn.ca

Quote:

Canada was officially named the host nation of the event last March, rubber-stamping its bid after Zimbabwe pulled out of the running. The Women's World Cup - the largest single sports event for women in the world - will be the first single sport event in Canada to be held from coast to coast.

"Canada 2015 has already made history as this will be the first FIFA Women's World Cup in which 24 national teams will participate," said FIFA President Sepp Blatter. "Women's football is continuing to mature, and I am really pleased that football fans in cities across the country, from East to West, will have the opportunity to take part. The host cities play a crucial role in delivering a FIFA competition, and I am sure that seeing world-class footballers across Canada will inspire a whole new generation of girls and women to get involved in the game."

See more at TSN, CBC, others etc..

edit: added info

http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/o...191/index.html

From FIFA.com:

Quote:
The official Host Cities for the FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015™ were announced at a media conference held on Parliament Hill in Ottawa (Canada) on 4 May 2012 in the presence of the Honourable Bal Gosal, Minister of State (Sport), FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter and Canadian Soccer Association President Dr Dominique Maestracci.

The six official Host Cities named today are: Edmonton, Alberta; Moncton, New Brunswick; Montreal, Quebec; Ottawa, Ontario; Vancouver, British Columbia; and Winnipeg, Manitoba.

The FIFA Women’s World Cup – the largest single sports event for women in the world – will be the first single sport event in Canada to be held from coast to coast.

more in the link above

As another member pointed out: Largest Women's Sporting event in the World!

Last edited by roccerfeller; May 4, 2012 at 7:39 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 7:08 PM
HVAC guru

Edmonton did a spectacular job hosting the U-20 games a few years back... and IIRC the crowds were huge. Great to see the city selected to host anoter FIFA event

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 7:11 PM
Community Guy

Who gets the medals and final?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 7:11 PM

I would imagine as a product of their fancy new stadium Vancouver will get the final and Montreal would get the 3-4.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 7:26 PM
Community Guy

... although a completely outdoor stadium such as oh Commonwealth would be ok too

(http://www.yedmonton.ca/teen/images/soccer.jpg)

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 7:30 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Fantastic news! A big win for Moncton and all NB to be chosen for this great event!!!

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 7:33 PM

Yeah I would imagine Vancouver would get the final

It is interesting to see how stadiums likely played a part in the cities being selected.

Vancouver with its amazing newly renovated stadium hailed as one of the continent's best, Edmonton has the largest capacity stadium in the country, Winnipeg & Ottawa will both have a brand new ones by the time FIFA comes to the country, and Montreal has a newly renovated stadium at McGill, in one of the most beautiful locations in the city.

Moncton I am not as up to date with stadium-wise so I don't know what is going on there. Perhaps their experience hosting the CFL played a large role? I always thought Halifax was building a stadium specifically with aim to host the world cup but I am quite behind the times on that.

Either way, great choice - Moncton has been nothing short of terrific when hosting the CFL, and I'm sure when they host the Women's World Cup they will do it with a lot of style.

Congrats to Canada in general though, playing host to a FIFA cup is quite a big deal in the world sports stage.

This will be huge for worldwide exposure for the country. I even believe many discussions around the globe will involve shock at the lack of snow on the ground in Canada in July haha

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 7:46 PM

How come Toronto is ignored?

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 7:54 PM
Dont let the name fool u

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey rules! View Post
How come Toronto is ignored?
They're hosting the Pan-Am games that same summer, so their facilities wouldn't be available and they didn't bid.

I'm curious to see if Montreal decides to use Saputo Stadium or the Big O. I imagine team Canada would play their 3 group games in Montreal, Vancouver and Edmonton.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Genius View Post
They're hosting the Pan-Am games that same summer, so their facilities wouldn't be available and they didn't bid.

I'm curious to see if Montreal decides to use Saputo Stadium or the Big O. I imagine team Canada would play their 3 group games in Montreal, Vancouver and Edmonton.
I would play at the Saputo Stadium. Its going to be simply amazing to be in. BMO field feels unfinished. It doesn't have a roof or anything. I don't want the Women World Cup or the Impact to play at the Big O. It simply doesn't feel nice inside and its a terrible venue for soccer.

Saputo stadium, with its shape and roof, will feel much more intimate.

BMO Field

Saputo Stadium:

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Genius View Post

It depends if Montreal gets the semi's i could see Ottawa hosting Canada in a round robin game.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 8:52 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Yeah I would imagine Vancouver would get the final

It is interesting to see how stadiums likely played a part in the cities being selected.

Vancouver with its amazing newly renovated stadium hailed as one of the continent's best, Edmonton has the largest capacity stadium in the country, Winnipeg & Ottawa will both have a brand new ones by the time FIFA comes to the country, and Montreal has a newly renovated stadium at McGill, in one of the most beautiful locations in the city.

Moncton I am not as up to date with stadium-wise so I don't know what is going on there. Perhaps their experience hosting the CFL played a large role? I always thought Halifax was building a stadium specifically with aim to host the world cup but I am quite behind the times on that.

Either way, great choice - Moncton has been nothing short of terrific when hosting the CFL, and I'm sure when they host the Women's World Cup they will do it with a lot of style.

Congrats to Canada in general though, playing host to a FIFA cup is quite a big deal in the world sports stage.

This will be huge for worldwide exposure for the country. I even believe many discussions around the globe will involve shock at the lack of snow on the ground in Canada in July haha
Wrong... Commonwealth is the second largest stadium by capacity after the Big O.

I don't expect any of the big stadium to be full anyway.

The big O was the only stadium with 40k+ fans during the U-20 World Cup (with 55k for the American game). Commonwealth was only 50% full during Canadian games (and even less when Canada didn't play).

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 9:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

Halifax bailed on building the stadium. The time frame was too tight for construction and the feds and the provincial government were unwilling to help underwrite the cost.

Moncton has the only stadium in the east capable of hosting this event. As you have said, we were able to successfully host regular season CFL games (in both 2010 and 2011), but what I think probably grabbed FIFA's attention is our successful hosting of the 2010 IAAF World Junior Track & Field Championships. This certainly got the COC's attention (they had their awards conference in Moncton last year), and I would imagine all the major amateur sports organizations (IAAF, COC, FIFA) have strong ties. This sort of networking and exposure is worth millions.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 11:24 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Halifax bailed on building the stadium. The time frame was too tight for construction and the feds and the provincial government were unwilling to help underwrite the cost.

Moncton has the only stadium in the east capable of hosting this event. As you have said, we were able to successfully host regular season CFL games (in both 2010 and 2011), but what I think probably grabbed FIFA's attention is our successful hosting of the 2010 IAAF World Junior Track & Field Championships. This certainly got the COC's attention (they had their awards conference in Moncton last year), and I would imagine all the major amateur sports organizations (IAAF, COC, FIFA) have strong ties. This sort of networking and exposure is worth millions.
Or it could have been that there were 6 cities chosen with 6 cities in the running.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 11:50 PM

Hm. I was going to say something snarky about being surprised this actually exists, but then somewhere in my brain I actually remember intently watching Japan vs. USA last year.

Does Canada's team have any hope?

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Hm. I was going to say something snarky about being surprised this actually exists, but then somewhere in my brain I actually remember intently watching Japan vs. USA last year.

They were supposed to be a contender to win it last year and fell flat.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:

Our women are much better than our men.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:

They're ranked 7th Worldwide, so yeah, they're contenders

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 2:17 AM

Anyone know where Winnipeg will play the games?

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 2:28 AM
Go Chiefs!

Investors Group Field, the new stadium for the Bombers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada