HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
IS IT GOOD URBANISM:
It's nothing special but I don't particularly mind it. It's much better than a plain glass box. Unfortunately it's not going to have a lot going on at the sidewalk, but that's such a common problem that you can't dock it too much. It earns a B-. Passable but meh.

IS IT COOL:
No. It's trying way too hard. Angles that were all the rage 5 years ago, stupid name ("VOID Corporate Center"), and it will include "an urban lounge, night club, and spa." Reeks of a 40 year old former frat bro trying his hardest to look cool. And as anyone over 22 is supposed to know, it's inherently not cool when people can tell you're trying hard to look cool.
I'd take a plain glass box over this pile. Otherwise, your remarks are spot on.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 5:00 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

I like it, but I'm apparently alone in that. So what if the angled glass box fad is "so 5 years ago" - do we have any others in the Rocky Mountain west? I not opposed to us being five years behind if it's still new here.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 2:05 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
I like it, but I'm apparently alone in that. So what if the angled glass box fad is "so 5 years ago" - do we have any others in the Rocky Mountain west? I not opposed to us being five years behind if it's still new here.
Sure. That's why I said it's better than a box. I care a lot more about urbanism than being cool.

It's just so obvious that the developer is trying to be cool. Therefore it's funny.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
North Fork of the Payette River, along the Payette River Scenic Byway, about an hour north of Boise. August 9 and there was smoke in the air. Thank you for your hard work Firefighters
I miss you McCall.

seems I have enough photos for a McCall/Payette Lake/Brundage photo thread.
I've only been to that area once and I've never forgotten it.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 7:41 PM

I was taken by this photo and story.

Why Cocaine Farmers Are Getting Into Chocolate Instead
November 11, 2015 by Marvin G Perez BloombergBusiness
Quote:
It was the murder -- execution-style, in broad daylight -- of a friend and fellow farmer in the Colombian countryside that prompted German Sanchez to finally heed government calls to get out of the cocaine trade and plant cocoa instead.

Prices for cocoa, the raw material used to produce chocolate, are climbing in international markets, lining the pockets of Andean farmers.

Coca, the source of cocaine, “caused a lot of bloodshed,” said the widower, a father of two. “Family members were killed and others ended up in jail. The economic revenues didn’t justify the risk.”
Credit Ruth Fremson/The New York Times

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 10:30 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Where did it take you? On a... trip?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 11:39 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I've only been to that area once and I've never forgotten it.
The energy of that place definitely stays with a person after leaving.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 7:55 PM

So after many years of plotting, and lurking on this board, I have moved to Denver. I'm wondering if there is any kind of urbanist social or activism group in town. I was involved with the local chapter of CNU when I lived in Tampa (though I'm not a planner or architect by trade). There was also another similar non-profit in town talking some of the same issues called the Urban Charrette. CNU used to host bi-monthly speaking engagements as well as a few walkabouts a year. It was a good way to meet people with similar interests, though often the dialogue turned to talking work politics unfortunately.

Is there anything like that in Denver? Or is my best option to partake in complaining about shoddy construction and rising housing costs on this forum?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 8:23 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

This is a pretty good option, lol. DenverInfill/DenverUrbanism (the blogs run by forumer, Ken, which you shoudl follow) does a bimonthly urbanist happy hour.

Curious if there is anything else I am missing, though.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
This is a pretty good option, lol. DenverInfill/DenverUrbanism (the blogs run by forumer, Ken, which you shoudl follow) does a bimonthly urbanist happy hour.

Curious if there is anything else I am missing, though.
Oh don't worry, I've been following Ken's blog since before One Lincoln Park was announced. I'll be on the lookout for a meetup announcement though, thanks.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 10:25 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
Oh don't worry, I've been following Ken's blog since before One Lincoln Park was announced. I'll be on the lookout for a meetup announcement though, thanks.
Welcome to the Mile High City, Agent Orange! Our next Denver Urbanists MeetUp will be in March. Date TBD.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 10:28 PM

Anyone been to 'The Source' on Brighton Blvd? I've been working on a 6 foot diameter storm sewer right next to it and it's new parking garage, but have been afraid to go in since I'm all blue collar and all.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
Welcome to the Mile High City, Agent Orange! Our next Denver Urbanists MeetUp will be in March. Date TBD.
Thanks for the welcome. Took me long enough to get here. Look forward to meeting folks in March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcolo View Post
Anyone been to 'The Source' on Brighton Blvd? I've been working on a 6 foot diameter storm sewer right next to it and it's new parking garage, but have been afraid to go in since I'm all blue collar and all.
I dropped in, but didn't eat anything. I was hoping for a quick, <$10 meal, and it didn't seem like that would be easy to do. Not sure I saw the whole space though, because I didn't see many restauranteurs. There was a cheese shop, wine shop, etc. I also though it was very dimly lit. The joint is pretty yupsterish, as you would imagine. I'd give it another shot if I had more time and cash to spare.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 11:21 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
I dropped in, but didn't eat anything. I was hoping for a quick, <$10 meal, and it didn't seem like that would be easy to do. Not sure I saw the whole space though, because I didn't see many restauranteurs. There was a cheese shop, wine shop, etc. I also though it was very dimly lit. The joint is pretty yupsterish, as you would imagine. I'd give it another shot if I had more time and cash to spare.
Try Avanti up in LoHi, it's pretty cool for a more 'grab and go' meal feel. Also, welcome!
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome. Took me long enough to get here. Look forward to meeting folks in March.
Hey neighbor! (You moved to my neighborhood apparently.)

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Try Avanti up in LoHi, it's pretty cool for a more 'grab and go' meal feel. Also, welcome!
Thanks Ryan. I always appreciate your drone shots. Not every city is lucky enough to have someone with your skills (and desire to share). I guess I've walked by Avanti a couple of times without noticing it. Based on the website, this does look more up my alley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
Hey neighbor! (You moved to my neighborhood apparently.)
Hi There. Yeah, I'm just a few blocks north of the Vine Street Pub (which I've been told I need to visit--seems like one of the more affordable options on that stretch of 17th). What do you think of the neighborhood? I originally wanted to be in Cap Hill for the busier, denser feel, but found a place I liked near City Park instead. Seems like downtown is only a 15 minute bike ride away.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 4:03 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
I vote March 23rd.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 3:53 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Thanks Ryan. I always appreciate your drone shots. Not every city is lucky enough to have someone with your skills (and desire to share). I guess I've walked by Avanti a couple of times without noticing it. Based on the website, this does look more up my alley.
Thank you for that! Sharing is the best thing that has happened to me in the past couple of years. It opens a lot of doors which leads to even more photo fun!

My fiancee and I decided to go to Avanti one day just because we were in the neighborhood. Get a good grab and go meal, and have a drink at the upstairs bar. Great views. Pretty good food!
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 7:17 PM

Mondo Market does quick sandwiches and picnic type things grab and go. Comida also gets their food out pretty quick, and easy to eat for less than $10 there.

Quote:

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 4:58 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Well, if wealth distribution stays the course with Hillary, I see a bright 4 more years for all of us as the Mountain West continues to gut healthy jobs from the coasts where the wages won't go up but our cost of living and operating will be much less.

Here's to 4 more years of the Mountian West making Globalism our bitch!

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Mar 16, 2016 at 5:10 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West