HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 1:45 PM

Henderson steals show at CP Women's Open despite coming up short
The Canadian Press August 27 2017

OTTAWA — Cristie Kerr waved at her caddy to stop for a second on the 18th fairway of the Ottawa Hunt and Golf Club. Mirim Lee and her bagman also held up.

Brooke Henderson, the third member of their trio for the final round of the CP Women's Open, marched ahead with her sister and caddy Britt in tow, the standing ovation from the gallery theirs alone. Although Henderson had an even par round to finish at 7-under in a tie for 12th on Sunday, she was the star of the LPGA event all week and it was only fitting she had one last moment on the course with her legions of fans.

"It was amazing," said Henderson minutes before accepting the Sandra Post Medal as the tournament's low Canadian from the award's namesake. "The crowds were incredible, and to have that support behind me from the very start of the week, Monday, when they were out here following me and cheering me on, it was so amazing.

"Today didn't go quite as well as I would have liked, but still having that support around me was amazing, and I'm going to remember this week forever."

South Korea's Sung Hyun Park shot a 7-under 64 to finish at 13-under par to win the tournament, but she was almost an afterthought for the partisan crowd.

The 19-year-old Henderson, from nearby Smiths Falls, Ont., was on the covers of programs, played pro-ams, appeared on billboards, and did everything asked of her to be an ambassador for the event. On Friday, she almost missed the cut but birdied on her final hole of the second round to keep playing. The next day, Henderson fired a course-record 8-under 63 to rocket up the leaderboard and play in the second-last group in Sunday's final round.

"She had so much pressure on her this week," said Kerr, who played with Henderson in the first, second and final rounds. "You know, more than a major, I told her. I was joking around, but it was true. Look at the people out here for her, they all want her to do well, and she wants to do really well for them."

Kerr tried to settle Henderson's nerves when it looked like the younger player might miss the cut. When Henderson had a pair of bogeys in the front nine on Sunday Kerr was there again to cheer her up.

Then, of course, it was Kerr who insured that Henderson had one last moment in the sun at the Women's Open, getting their group of golfers to slow their pace so the Henderson sisters could absorb the crowd's applause.

"She's a role model, I look up to her," said Henderson of Kerr. "To play with her three days this week really helped me. Just things like that, letting me walk up on to 18 and soak in the crowd and all those cheers, that was just really a class act."

Brittany Marchand of Orangeville, Ont., was the only other Canadian to make the cut out of a field of 14. She shot a 2-under 69 to finish at 3-under par on the tournament. Marchand, who was a sponsor exemption that usually plays on the Symetra Tour, also drew some crowds.

"They're always cheering you on no matter how it goes," said Marchand. "It's nice to have that support backing you, especially playing at home. Now that I've played two LPGA events at home, I'm getting more support than I probably would if I was just playing in the States somewhere."

The crowds were so vocal for Brooke Henderson that even her caddy Britt drew cheers with people calling out her name, encouraging her as she lugged her sister's golf bag or gave advice.

"The crowds were so great all week and it's so cool to play this kind of tournament at home and have that kind of crowd support, even the caddy," said Britt. "It felt awesome."

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 4:59 AM
Go Chiefs!

Denis Shapovalov defeated Daniil Medvedev 7-5, 6-1, 6-2 to win his first Grand Slam match.

I was shocked by the last 2 sets, completely DOMINATED the World #53 player.
Tsonga is up next!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 4:40 AM
Go Chiefs!

Shapovalov defeats Tsonga in 3 sets, 6-4, 6-4, 7-6. I'm actually shocked at how well he is playing. Wasn't the best game from Tsonga but he's still a top 15 player and got outplayed by the kid.

I have long said that Auger Aliassime will be the first Canadian to win a Slam but starting to think Shapovalov might achieve the feat before him.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 1:16 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Shapovalov defeats Tsonga in 3 sets, 6-4, 6-4, 7-6. I'm actually shocked at how well he is playing. Wasn't the best game from Tsonga but he's still a top 15 player and got outplayed by the kid.

I have long said that Auger Aliassime will be the first Canadian to win a Slam but starting to think Shapovalov might achieve the feat before him.
El Shapo strikes again! The kid is on a roll.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 7:42 PM

And again - onto the 4th round

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 11:58 PM
Go Chiefs!

It was a tight game (tied 1 set all) until Edmund injured himself but Shapovalov was playing much better after having lost the first set.

He's the youngest player to reach a 4th round of the US open since Chang in 1989. Something really clicked as he had 2 or 3 tour wins before Montreal.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 2:34 AM

More proof of the continuing improvement in Canadian college sports.

Laval's Antony Auclair has made the TB Bucs as a TE.

The USports players that have gone to NFL camps recently seem to do quite well : LDT, Elie Bouka, David Onyemata. Unfortunately, Geoff Gray was cut by the Packers today.

At one point a few years ago there were more Regina alum (5) in the NFL than many American colleges.

Lorne Goldenberg is a pro athletic trainer.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 2:49 AM

Speaking of LDT, I don't remember if I posted about his new contract signing earlier this year that makes him one of the higher paid OL in the NFL. He also seems to have won the title of most interesting man in the NFL as almost every writer makes that quote about him.

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif signs 5-year Chiefs extension
Chris Wesseling Around the NFL Writer Feb. 28, 2017

The Chiefs have rewarded one of the key cogs in their ground attack with a lucrative long-term contract.

Kansas City finalized a five-year contract extension with right guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, his agent announced Tuesday. A source with knowledge of the situation told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport the new deal is worth $41.25 million.

A sixth-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, Duvernay-Tardif has started 30 games over the past two years after essentially redshirting as a rookie. With Duvernay-Tardif and center Mitch Morse emerging as effective run blockers, the Chiefs' running game has remained effective even with Spencer Ware replacing Jamaal Charles as the featured back.

Duvernay-Tardif is one of the most interesting players in today's NFL. In addition to playing football, he is also a medical student at Montreal's prestigious McGill University. He has taken two yearlong sailing trips with his family.

"If they ever want to do a '30 for 30' on an offensive lineman, it would have to be Larry," Morse said of his teammate last summer. "The guy is multi-talented."

The man with divided passions has quickly become one of coach Andy Reid's favorite players.

"The way he's wired is just different," Reid explained, via ESPN.com. "He's brilliant, but he can just get down and just be dirty tough. He's able to separate that. But that dirty tough part, I don't want him if he's an orthopedic surgeon to do my knee replacement with that attitude. You understand what I'm saying?"

Duvernay-Tardif has a bright future as a surgeon. In the meantime, he's building a rather comfortable nest egg with football.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 10:32 PM
Go Chiefs!

Shapovalov loses a tight game in 3 consecutive tiebreaks, 7-6, 7-6, 7-6.

The kid will have to improve his tiebreak play (pressure situations) dramatically but otherwise he should be over the moon with his play. Carreno Busta was clutch when it mattered.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
More proof of the continuing improvement in Canadian college sports.

Laval's Antony Auclair has made the TB Bucs as a TE.

The USports players that have gone to NFL camps recently seem to do quite well : LDT, Elie Bouka, David Onyemata. Unfortunately, Geoff Gray was cut by the Packers today.
Picked up by the Jets

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 5:58 PM
Registered Drug User

Probably of minority interest here or anywhere in Canada, but a cyclist named Michael Woods from Ottawa is most likely going to finish in the top ten at the Vuelta a España (the third most prestigious of the three Grand Tours after the Tour de France in July and the Giro d'Italia in May). This article is already out of date, as Alberto Contador is now well ahead of Woods and is contending for a podium place (which virtually everyone is pulling for sentimentally, as he's a legend of the sport, the preeminent cyclist of the last twenty years since Miguel Indurain [yes, even counting Lance Armstrong's seven revoked Tour wins], and this is the final race of his career, as he's retiring after the Vuelta).

Quote:
Canadian cyclist Michael Woods turning heads at Spanish Vuelta
Ottawa native among top 10 after 15th stage in just his 2nd Grand Tour event

Canadian cyclist Michael Woods is turning heads in just his second Grand Tour event.

The 30-year-old from Ottawa enters the final week of the Spanish Vuelta riding high in eighth place, holding a 33-second edge over three-time winner Alberto Contador of Spain in ninth. And Woods is contending despite the uncertainty concerning the future of his Cannondale-Drapac racing team.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/canadian-cy...elta-1.4274651
He's pretty old for a newer cyclist on the European pro scene. Canadians don't come up in the ranks the same way they do in Europe because we don't have the cycling culture they have. Ryder Hesjedal's win at the Giro in 2012 was the greatest victory by a Canadian cyclist ever, and he was 32 at the time. It's not too often that a cyclist toils as a domestique throughout his twenties before emerging as a GC contender (i.e. to win the whole race) in his thirties.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 6:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Probably of minority interest here or anywhere in Canada, but a cyclist named Michael Woods from Ottawa is most likely going to finish in the top ten at the Vuelta a España (the third most prestigious of the three Grand Tours after the Tour de France in July and the Giro d'Italia in May). This article is already out of date, as Alberto Contador is now well ahead of Woods and is contending for a podium place (which virtually everyone is pulling for sentimentally, as he's a legend of the sport, the preeminent cyclist of the last twenty years since Miguel Indurain [yes, even counting Lance Armstrong's seven revoked Tour wins], and this is the final race of his career, as he's retiring after the Vuelta).

He's pretty old for a newer cyclist on the European pro scene. Canadians don't come up in the ranks the same way they do in Europe because we don't have the cycling culture they have. Ryder Hesjedal's win at the Giro in 2012 was the greatest victory by a Canadian cyclist ever, and he was 32 at the time. It's not too often that a cyclist toils as a domestique throughout his twenties before emerging as a GC contender (i.e. to win the whole race) in his thirties.
We do get a bit of coverage of Il Giro and La Vuelta on our longer sportscasts here. It's a spinoff from the fairly extensive coverage we get of the Tour de France. And a lead-in to the urban cycling races taking place in Montreal and Quebec City in September. (They're billed as the only UCI races of the year in North America.)

So I did know that Chris Froome was leading La Vuelta. (Doesn't he win everything these days?) But strangely enough had not heard of this Ottawa cyclist. Maybe it was mentioned and I missed it...

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 6:49 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
We do get a bit of coverage of Il Giro and La Vuelta on our longer sportscasts here. It's a spinoff from the fairly extensive coverage we get of the Tour de France. And a lead-in to the urban cycling races taking place in Montreal and Quebec City in September. (They're billed as the only UCI races of the year in North America.)

So I did know that Chris Froome was leading La Vuelta. (Doesn't he win everything these days?) But strangely enough had not heard of this Ottawa cyclist. Maybe it was mentioned and I missed it...
I don't have cable and haven't watched TV news in a long time, so I can't say for sure, but I would be very surprised if there were any coverage at all on TSN or whatever of anything outside of maybe the last day of the Tour.

There's nothing at all on the front page or the video page on TSN's website, but if you hunt around you can find a page "dedicated" to cycling. Here's a screenshot of that page:

http://www.tsn.ca/cycling

Bizarrely, if you hit "Load More" on this page a couple times you find the CP story about Michael Woods in my post above in and amongst other Tour stories from July.

I'm guessing that pro cycling is not top of mind in Canada. Ryder Hesjedal's win five years ago got coverage, though you could tell it was a difficult one for the programmers, as it was obvious that no one really cared about it save for cycling enthusiasts.

It's so awesome that Montreal and Quebec City have those two UCI races. And really, they're the only two cities in Canada that deserve them in terms of terrain or indeed can support them in terms of cycling culture.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 7:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I don't have cable and haven't watched TV news in a long time, so I can't say for sure, but I would be very surprised if there were any coverage at all on TSN or whatever of anything outside of maybe the last day of the Tour.

There's nothing at all on the front page or the video page on TSN's website, but if you hunt around you can find a page "dedicated" to cycling. Here's a screenshot of that page:

http://www.tsn.ca/cycling

Bizarrely, if you hit "Load More" on this page a couple times you find the CP story about Michael Woods in my post above in and amongst other Tour stories from July.

I'm guessing that pro cycling is not top of mind in Canada. Ryder Hesjedal's win five years ago got coverage, though you could tell it was a difficult one for the programmers, as it was obvious that no one really cared about it save for cycling enthusiasts.

It's so awesome that Montreal and Quebec City have those two UCI races. And really, they're the only two cities in Canada that deserve them in terms of terrain or indeed can support them in terms of cycling culture.
I can't do screen shots but RDS has a story about Froome losing ground in Spain on its home page. It's about the 8th most prominent item.

Other sports covered on the front page are NHL (fairly dominant), Montreal Impact MLS soccer, ATP-WTA tennis, Formula 1, NFL, MLB, CFL, UFC and boxing, World Cup and European soccer.

No NBA and no golf.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 7:06 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
So I did know that Chris Froome was leading La Vuelta. (Doesn't he win everything these days?)
Yeah, Froome is currently dominant. But he lost a bit of time today, and some are saying that this week of mountain stages may test him. He's going for a "double" this year, meaning to win either two Grand Tours (he already won the Tour) or one Grand Tour and the World Championships, so he might not have enough in the tank due to laying it all on the line in July at the Tour.

Only nine cyclists in history have one two Grand tours in the same year. The last to do it was Marco Pantani ("Il Pirata") in 1998. Miguel Indurain did it in 1992 and 1993.

Erm...I think you can tell I'm a fan. There's nothing I like better in May, July and September than watching an hour or so of the day's stage later on in the evening. I could listen to Carlton Kirby recite the phone book. My new trick is to use a VPN to get around the geographical restrictions for signing up for Eurosport.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 7:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Yeah, Froome is currently dominant. But he lost a bit of time today, and some are saying that this week of mountain stages may test him. He's going for a "double" this year, meaning to win either two Grand Tours (he already won the Tour) or one Grand Tour and the World Championships, so he might not have enough in the tank due to laying it all on the line in July at the Tour.

Only nine cyclists in history have one two Grand tours in the same year. The last to do it was Marco Pantani ("Il Pirata") in 1998. Miguel Indurain did it in 1992 and 1993.

Erm...I think you can tell I'm a fan. There's nothing I like better in May, July and September than watching an hour or so of the day's stage later on in the evening. I could listen to Carlton Kirby recite the phone book. My new trick is to use a VPN to get around the geographical restrictions for signing up for Eurosport.
Marco Pantani. Boy did he ever pay the price. Ouf.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 7:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I am an extremely casual cycling fan at best, but all of the great names are familiar to me either by paying a bit of attention or through osmosis I guess: Contador, Pantini, Coppi, Chiappucci, Indurain, Bauer, Fignon, Virenque, Ullrich, LeMond, Armstrong, Maerx, etc.

Though one of my very best friends is a cycling nut. He watches hours of Tour de France coverage every day when it's on.

He's also originally from the Gaspésie and when he goes back every summer he takes about a week to go all around the peninsula alone on his bike. I guess it's 500-600 km.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 7:36 PM
Registered Drug User

Whereas I didn't know any of those names before I got into cycling. Save for Armstrong, but I wasn't paying attention back then, so it probably went in one ear and out the other.

Got six and a half minutes? The Greatest Show on Earth is a documentary chronicling the 1974 Giro d'Italia that started in Vatican City. At the beginning you get a sombre, evocative sense of the epic nature of the race, and then just after the 4-minute mark you get breathtaking cliffside footage accompanied by the absolute cheesiest 1970s muzak-style music ever recorded (never fails to make me smile).

Eddy Merckx won this one. He was basically Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Babe Ruth and Pele wrapped up into one package. It's virtually assured that his astounding record of wins will never be equaled.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 7:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Got six and a half minutes? The Greatest Show on Earth is a documentary chronicling the 1974 Giro d'Italia that started in Vatican City. At the beginning you get a sombre, evocative sense of the epic nature of the race, and then just after the 4-minute mark you get breathtaking cliffside footage accompanied by the absolute cheesiest 1970s muzak-style music ever recorded (never fails to make me smile).
Cool footage. Thanks. I am 99% sure I've driven on a number of those stretches of road. They're on the Amalfi coast between Sorrento and Salerno. Almost positive of that. A truly spectacular place.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 7:50 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Cool footage. Thanks. I am 99% sure I've driven on a number of those stretches of road. They're on the Amalfi coast between Sorrento and Salerno. Almost positive of that. A truly spectacular place.
Someday I'll do a bike ride there. Someday.

Sigh...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada