HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 5:39 PM

Here's all the images pulled from the PDFs...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 10:51 PM
Ham-burgher

They all have their merits, but I really like the GulfDream proposal -- its terracing, and variety and architecture ("warmth" especially). I think the terraces make it a nudge above my second preference.

Waterfront Shores is a close #2. I like the variation in it, and appreciate KPMB's previous work. The architecture is best of all 4, I think.

The other two I don't care for as much. UC/CU/MG is ok, and I love the emphasis on "local" but it's not inspiring to me. Tridel feels like a university campus -- nothing wrong with that, but I don't care for it in this context, and the green roofs look like playing fields.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 11:16 PM

The Urban Core proposal comes off like a Danish office park. Seems to have missed the mark a little.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 12:57 AM
It's Hammer Time

Just based on looks, I really like the GulfDream's proposal. I like the variation of styles and architect. Some looks a little too boxy (Tidal) for my taste.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
My heart wants to go with Core Urban and their amazing line up of local business leaders ready to open on site...Relay Coffee, Equal Parts Hospitality, Other Bird etc..... but the design is very sub-par. Zero public gathering plazas or patio zones.

I think the best of all worlds is Waterfront Shores. LOVE the architecture, love the greenway design and they seem to have the most ground floor retail/patio/commercial space than the other designs. To me it is a MUST to have patio/dining/public seating areas throughout this district.

I love the architecture and public realm design of Gulf Dream, and really like their plaza area in front of the proposed AGH, but they only have 2 spots for retail/patio space. Not nearly enough for a site of this size and scale.

Tridel does a great job of having a mix of residents from kids/families to seniors. Also a nice commercial/patio component and very cool Euro-waterfront architecture. Great greenway design and public realm as well.

Sadly, the public realm, weird looking alleyway green paths and lack of public seating/gathering/amenities in the Core Urban one make it my last choice.

Any of the first 3 would be awesome, but I would probably say Waterfront Shore and Tridel are my top 2, in order.

I hope the city isn't swayed by all the local business folks in the Core Urban plan because I feel it has big bust potential....bland design, no gathering areas etc.....

Also, am I the only one completely shocked by the fact that along the entire northern part of the site - with the BEST views of the water - there is NO retail/commercial space. In fact, there is a ROAD with 12-foot wide lanes proposed cutting off the Hammer public park with the neighbourhood. I mean, I know it's Hamilton and we love our roads, but really?

One of the proposals shows the waterfront in Hamburg, Germany. Loaded with people on a huge patio directly facing the water. How on earth did we supposedly learn from the worlds best and end up with a street facing the water and zero people-gathering/patio/restaurant space???
Likely the spec provided to all required a road along the northern border. All the better to allow food trucks to be port side!

Last edited by King&James; Apr 8, 2018 at 2:34 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 1:30 AM

having gone over all the fine details of the PDF's now, my thoughts are more cemented: Waterfront Shores and Gulf Dream are in a different class than Tridel and Core Urban.
If we land either of those 2 options it will be a fantastic new hood in Hamilton and raise the bar significantly for other new developments.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 6:17 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
having gone over all the fine details of the PDF's now, my thoughts are more cemented: Waterfront Shores and Gulf Dream are in a different class than Tridel and Core Urban.
If we land either of those 2 options it will be a fantastic new hood in Hamilton and raise the bar significantly for other new developments.
I agree. Hopefully this goes forward without much kerfuffle and hand-wringing. This has been a long time coming, and is another game changer for the western waterfront... following too long the change of game that Bayfront and Pier 4 parks brought in the 1990s.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 5:30 PM

Maybe its realistic, but it doesn't help that Core Urbans renders are with a more overcast sky and some sort of drab grey filter over them. They also don't show many people around - gives it a ghost town feel unfortunately.

I lean towards GulfDream but also would be happy with Waterfront Shores.

Anyone know when a decision will be made and details of the general process? (ie. how much leeway do the developers have from straying from these proposals if chosen?)

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateittoo View Post
Maybe its realistic, but it doesn't help that Core Urbans renders are with a more overcast sky and some sort of drab grey filter over them. They also don't show many people around - gives it a ghost town feel unfortunately.

I lean towards GulfDream but also would be happy with Waterfront Shores.

Anyone know when a decision will be made and details of the general process? (ie. how much leeway do the developers have from straying from these proposals if chosen?)
I wonder with ground floor residential in most of these proposals how many people will really be walking around though. I really think all the proposals lack first floor retail space. This is a massive community, and I would think a walk-in clinic, boutique grocery store, dentists office and a few other things outside coffee and restaurants will need to pop up. Residential streets, no matter how urban are not walkable if there is nothing to go to.

Even is an extremely dense place like Toronto there are ghost town streets where there exists nothing but homes.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 10:00 PM
It's Hammer Time

Winning waterfront development bid to be revealed in June
Final four proposals now on display for public commentary

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/8...ealed-in-june/

The future of Hamilton's waterfront — and the winner of a lucrative development contract that will transform one of the city's most valuable parcels of land — will be revealed in only a matter of weeks, city staff say.

The city has released plans from four consortiums that are bidding to build about 1,500 residential condos, commercial units, institutional buildings, and green space on the now-vacant Pier 8 lands.

City staff are now undertaking a series of public information sessions — what they're affectionately calling a "road show" — to share the four successful designs, ask for feedback, and share information about how the development process will unfold.

The final recommendation of the winning bid, which will be decided by a 10-person evaluation committee (the makeup of which has remained confidential to prevent the team from being influenced), will be presented to council in mid-June.

"Ultimately, whichever one of these wins will be a new benchmark for development in the city," said Philbert Kim, senior consultant of the West Harbour disposition strategy.

"For a long time, it's fair to say that a lot of other large cities in Canada have been going along on this trajectory of growth and urban development, and Hamilton is only in the past few years starting to pick up steam," said Kim. "People have said, 'When is Hamilton going to catch up?" I think with this, I think we've actually leapfrogged other cities. It's a new way of building communities."

The Tridel proposal includes mostly glass and steel condos, similar to those along the Toronto waterfront, and walkways that connect to the waterfront promenade. It also includes a community hub, though the plan doesn't make mention of any specific local partners.

The bid from Urban Capital/Core Urban/Milborne Group is decidedly local. The consortium, led by Hamilton development firm Core Urban, is partnering with Indwell and the YWCA for its affordable housing component, and local restaurateurs The Other Bird and Relay Coffee are lined up to create cafés and dining spaces. The proposal includes a branch of the Hamilton Public Library and an "Alt Hotel."

The GulfDream proposal, which includes Hamilton-based McCallum Sather architects, features wood-construction buildings, and if successful, would make Pier 8 the largest mixed-use, mid-rise urban wood community in North America. It also proposes including a new location for the Art Gallery of Hamilton.

Hamilton North-End native and renowned architect Bruce Kuwabara, partner at KPMB, is the lead architect for the Waterfront Shores proposal. It is arguably the most architecturally striking plan, with a style it describes as "progressive, modern and ambitious." It features individual buildings that can stand on their own, but still operate as a cohesive whole. It also features an innovate design, for the city-required green space, called "the Zipper," which connects with other pedestrian walkways and courtyards.

Pier 8 public presentations

Monday, April 9 & Tuesday, April 10
9 a.m. to 9 p.m. (City staff on-site from 5 to 7 p.m. only)
Hamilton Public Library — Central Branch
55 York Blvd, Hamilton

Wednesday, April 11 & Thursday, April 12
10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Evergreen Community Storefront
294 James Street North, Hamilton

Friday, April 13 (Art Crawl)
10 a.m. to 9 p.m. (City staff on site from 6 to 9 p.m. only)
Evergreen Community Storefront
294 James Street North, Hamilton

Saturday, April 14 & Sunday, April 15
12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Art Gallery of Hamilton — Fischer Gallery
123 King Street West, Hamilton

Monday, April 16 & Tuesday, April 17
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
City Hall — Main Lobby
71 Main Street West, Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 7:59 PM

New conceptual renderings for Piers 5-7 have been released...

Video Link

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

source

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 11:20 PM

We are so completely and totally petrified of colour that it's almost pathological.

I understand these are just concepts but they are blander than bland.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 11:35 PM
It's Hammer Time

I like the layout and the plans, the canopy is great, gazebo is good and the trail is good. It's a small area so the above concept makes the area look huge.

Basically the proposed buildings is what Williams at Pier 8 looks like, times four more.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 12:44 AM

can we bloody build something down here??? Enough with all the grand plans and ideas. Let's get on with it!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 1:16 AM
Ham-burgher

A market building and a hotel would be terrific additions, if they stay in the plan. Nice scale though, and I like all the waters' edge walkways and bridges. I agree with the Doc, more colour would be good.

This town loves to put up the arches. Half in this case, but nevertheless... nobody would ever know they were in "Harbour West" without one.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 1:29 AM
It's Hammer Time

Curling caterpillar bridge pitched for Hamilton waterfront
Showpiece bridge pitched to allow small boats to continue using the basin between Piers 5 and 7, said Waterfront Trust head Werner Plessl

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/8...on-waterfront/

A steel caterpillar-like bridge that curls and uncurls between the city's waterfront piers is the latest ambitious proposal for public space in a reimagined west harbour.

The Hamilton Waterfront Trust is pitching the unique hydraulic bridge as a pedestrian link between future waterfront park space and an artisan market on Piers 5 and 6, under the city's $140-million west harbour redevelopment plan.

Even if plans for the caterpillar inch ahead — there's no firm budget yet or council-approved cash attached to the proposal — the showpiece bridge would not likely be built before 2020, after other planned Waterfront Trail improvements are done.

"If we go ahead with (the bridge), I expect it would be an attraction. People will want to watch," said trust head Werner Plessl following a recent presentation on its contract with the city to redesign harbourfront public space between Piers 5 and 7.

The $1-million-plus idea is not just meant for show, however.

A retractable bridge was specifically pitched to allow the sailing club and other small boats to continue using the basin between the piers, said Plessl, who noted marina accessibility has been a top concern for the Royal Hamilton Yacht Club since the harbour revamp was envisioned a decade ago.

The proposed curling structure is modelled on the famous "Rolling Bridge," built across a branch of the Grand Union Canal in London. That unique British structure was designed by Thomas Heatherwick and was the first of its kind when built for about $900,000 in 2004. The eight-segment, 12-metre steel and wood structure uncurls from an octagon shape within two minutes.

Plessl said such a bridge would cost more than $1 million today. It would need to bridge a water gap of about 20 metres, unless changes were made to the shape of each pier. He suggested the bridge could be operated remotely by the city parks department.

Barry Tyler, president of the yacht club, said he's comfortable with the latest bridge plan.

"They're telling us it should be able to be able to (curl) within about a minute and a half, which is relatively quick. That should work for us," he said. "We certainly need something other than a fixed bridge ... we have a lot of traffic coming in and out of the basin in the summer months."

Tyler said a regular pedestrian bridge is likely impossible because sail boats coming and going from the basin routinely have masts that are six-metres or taller.

The other option, of course, would be to ask visitors and residents to continue walking around the basin along the existing Waterfront Trail following Guise Street.

But Plessl argued one goal of harbourside improvements is to "bring the Waterfront Trail to the water" as much as possible. As currently envisioned, the redesigned trail will follow the piers and shoreline via boardwalks and pedestrian bridges.

The trust — which has faced criticism in recent years for poor financial transparency, a legal dispute with a former restaurant tenant and a growing backlog of unpaid taxes — has a multi-million-dollar city contract to design new public space amenities from Piers 5 to 7 including trails, sun shelters and public art.

Council hopes those improvements will eventually be paired with an artisan market, shops and even a hotel over time — but likely not before the city's top-priority residential redevelopment brings thousands of new residents to live on Pier 8.

The trust is not in charge of building its proposed bridge, however. The city's long-term waterfront plan actually budgets $7 million for up to four pedestrian bridges across the west harbour, but likely not before 2020 and not under the current contract with the trust.

Plessl said if the city wants a caterpillar bridge, it will need to approve a budget and contract out the work.

At least some council members already appear sold on the caterpillar, though.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger called the retracting bridge "fantastic" and a unique addition to the waterfront at the recent update meeting.

Ward Coun. Jason Farr, meanwhile, preferred to describe the uncurling steel link as a "potato bug" bridge that would draw tourists to the water.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 1:39 AM

LOVE IT!!! This is the kind of cool initiatives you see in great cities around the world. Many small, unique, FUN things like this spread throughout a city are what make city life interesting and enjoyable.
Obviously public spaces, vibrant street life, great architecture, gardens etc....all are vital to good city life, but these small details add up and matter. Well done whoever sought out this idea.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 1:57 AM

Don't like the caterpillar bridge.

Looks like a hamster wheel and a gigantic, robotic, carnivorous caterpillar made a baby.

Give people credit. Just build something beautiful. We don't need to be entertained by peculiar, sinister-looking structures.

Cities, on the other hand, seem to feel the need to confound and 'wow' its citizens. They never ask us, however. It's just ego-building for bloated (and bloviated) City Councillors.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 8:27 AM

That's cool in theory but I don't have faith that our city would be able to maintain something like that long-term. I'd rather have a structurally unique bridge that is integrated into the rest of the walkways/paths through the harbour.

If the main concern is allowing boats to pass, why not build an elevated bridge with ramps/stairs on either side allowing for a new raised view of the bay?

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 2:00 AM
It's Hammer Time

Based on Matt's tweet about Pier 8 today, looks like city staff have made a recommendation. Another clue is that the Discovery Centre will not be part of the Pier 8 bid, so to me that tell's me Urban Capital/Core Urban/Milborne Group must've lost its bid, since there bid was the only one that had plans to incorporate the Discovery Centre.

https://twitter.com/Mattatthespec/st...46035612884992

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues