HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Royal Connaught Phase III in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Hamilton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 1:58 PM

Any applications filed prior to the passing of the secondary plan I.E. television City will not have the secondary plan apply to them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lamb's building gets LPAT (formally OMB) approval and goes ahead.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Any applications filed prior to the passing of the secondary plan I.E. television City will not have the secondary plan apply to them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lamb's building gets LPAT (formally OMB) approval and goes ahead.

The city's secondary plan height map actually gives the aforementioned height exemptions on the map since they were approved already.

Projects that were filed prior to the end date of the OMB still have the Secondary Plan applied to them if city hall chooses. But they won't go to LPAT. They will still get a full OMB hearing. TV City was filed before the deadline which is why he has taken the project to the OMB.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 6:20 PM
Ham-burgher

These were also in play last year or early in this one, but I have no idea about their status or how far things went with submitting the proposals to the city:
- 71 Rebecca (121.5m) http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=229309
- Metro City (114m) http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=228215
- McMaster Grad Residence (height in metres unknown, but 31 storeys) http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=232321

(and perhaps -- likely a "slim chance" perhaps -- the Carmen's thing will get resurrected at some point, though I doubt it was serious enough as proposed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
Your project has one of the last opportunities to build the 2nd tallest building in Hamilton. The height approved for the Connaught on the new Secondary Plan mapping is 117 metres. This about 19-20 metres higher than the escarpment. Currently the 2nd tallest building in Hamilton is Stelco Tower at 103 metres.

The new Vranich Tower is also going to be 103 metres, but it's land is 4-5 metres higher than the Stelco Tower, so the George St building will appear to be our 2nd tallest once complete.

After the Connaught is built and clearly becomes the 2nd tallest (only 10 metres shorter than Century 21) the only other pre-approved opportunity to surpass Stelco Tower and Vranich will be the Connolly site. It has been approved at 106 metres on the new Secondary Plan mapping. Assuming the new owner sticks with the pre-approved plan (which they should if they want to avoid an entire planning application at City Hall), the Connolly site will become the 3rd tallest in Hamilton after Century 21 and the Connaught.

So, in a few years our top 5 might look like this:
Century 21 - 127 metres
Connaught - 117 metres
Connolly site - 106 metres
Vranich - 103 metres
Stelco Tower - 103 metres

Nice to see 3 buildings squeeze themselves in between 1st and 2nd spot.
TV City would have been dynamite to add a new tallest. Hopefully Lamb goes through the entire OMB process and wins. If so, TV City will bump all of these above buildings down 1 spot on the list.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Apr 21, 2018 at 6:32 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 11:32 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

I don;t want to spread rumours but I was told after the wind storm the sign fell on a guy. Is this true. I would think that would make the local news.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 12:53 AM

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
I don;t want to spread rumours but I was told after the wind storm the sign fell on a guy. Is this true. I would think that would make the local news.
It did.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
These were also in play last year or early in this one, but I have no idea about their status or how far things went with submitting the proposals to the city:
- 71 Rebecca (121.5m) http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=229309
- Metro City (114m) http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=228215
- McMaster Grad Residence (height in metres unknown, but 31 storeys) http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=232321

(and perhaps -- likely a "slim chance" perhaps -- the Carmen's thing will get resurrected at some point, though I doubt it was serious enough as proposed)
According to my sources re: 71 Rebecca project, they are looking at lowering it by 7-8 floors to match the escarpment height if it'll mean not having a prolonged battle with the city. The same group is trying to bring us much needed higher density housing all over the city, and are meeting resistance as you can image from city hall in every instance. Council just turned down their 12 (now 9) storey condo project on Garner Rd...it's headed to court. Staff also planning to reject their mid-rise condo project at Upper Sherman and Rymal....because not enough triple car garages and cul-de-sacs for our illustrious planning department.
So, with Rebecca they are leaning towards a reduction in height to shut the city up and actually get on with building something.

- little off topic, but I wish all Hamilton residents knew stuff like this. People are tired of their high taxes, sluggish population and job growth in Hamilton. Little do they know that city hall is BY FAR the main reason our growth is sluggish and actually declining in the lower city. Want to slap down 200 more vinyl homes with double garages on farm land? No problem! Want to build anything that resembles normal city apartment/condo dwellings anywhere else on earth? Heck No!

Metro City was very smart and got their documents filed prior to OMB ending, so they continue with their planning application knowing they have the OMB as recourse. Also, their project falls outside the scope of the new downtown secondary plan, although staff have made it clear they will apply the same requirements. Again, I foresee a favourable outcome at the OMB considering their project is literally surrounded by high-rises, including the 3rd tallest building in Hamilton being 2 properties over on the same street.

Mac Graduate Residence I have no further info on, but if they are using floor-ceiling height ratios similar to LIIUNA Kresge or TV City, they will be allowed 30-32 storeys on their Bay/King site.... I just hope the parking garage component is redesigned to include hotel or residential above.

EDIT: just looked up the various elevation numbers for Bay/King.... using correct escarpment height data directly south of Bay/King, these folks will be allowed to build a 95-96 metre building.
Television City's drawings show the 32nd storey being at 94 metres. So, the Mac proposal for 31 would seem to be just about perfect for this site once factoring in the needed mechanical rooftop.
LIUNA Kresge drawings show the 30th floor being at 92 metres. They have a taller main floor with retail, and a taller 30th floor. So, depending on fine details, I suspect Mac will be able to build 30-32 floors at Bay/King.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 11:53 PM

Summer time is beautiful in Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
Summer time is beautiful in Hamilton
when is stage 3 going up?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton905 View Post
when is stage 3 going up?
Phase 3 will launch soon. Construction will follow shortly after.

Construction Hoist at the back portion of Phase 2 addition will be coming down near the end of this month.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Phase 3 will launch soon. Construction will follow shortly after.

Construction Hoist at the back portion of Phase 2 addition will be coming down near the end of this month.
Any updates? Is phase 2 almost done? Any new retail tenant announcements?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timach View Post
Any updates? Is phase 2 almost done? Any new retail tenant announcements?
Phase 3 has been "right around the corner" for a while, I'm losing it will really happen. I wonder if it was just proposed to bring excitement about the province.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton905 View Post
Phase 3 has been "right around the corner" for a while, I'm losing it will really happen. I wonder if it was just proposed to bring excitement about the province.
I was there a few weeks ago to find out the status of our unit. They were working on finishes on the 9th floor, moving down. Sounds like its still on schedule (fingers crossed) but I get the impression that Phase 3 won't launch for another few months.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 3:18 PM

They took down the exterior/construction elevator (not sure exactly what it's called) this week so the rear of the building looks much more complete, even with gaping walls on each floor.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 5:01 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
They took down the exterior/construction elevator (not sure exactly what it's called) this week so the rear of the building looks much more complete, even with gaping walls on each floor.
Windows are almost filled in where the elevator was. Only top 3 floors still have gaps on them.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonForward View Post
Windows are almost filled in where the elevator was. Only top 3 floors still have gaps on them.
Only the top two floors need their windows installed now. Afterward, we're fixing the brick at the back where the construction hoist used to be.

Phase 3 will launch late fall or early Winter. Will be 36 storeys. We just launched our Phase 2 Penthouses and are almost sold out.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringLight88 View Post
I was there a few weeks ago to find out the status of our unit. They were working on finishes on the 9th floor, moving down. Sounds like its still on schedule (fingers crossed) but I get the impression that Phase 3 won't launch for another few months.
Every floor is currently in the finishing stage (minus some of the Penthouse units which are still selling)

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
Did you mean the windows where the construction hoist used to be? Those have been installed with glazing, minus the top two Penthouse levels which will be completed in the next two weeks. It takes about a day and a half to install those window panels on the back facing units.

The units inside are actually being finished as we speak. Flooring, painting, electrical fixtures, appliances being installed, etc.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Only the top two floors need their windows installed now. Afterward, we're fixing the brick at the back where the construction hoist used to be.

Phase 3 will launch late fall or early Winter. Will be 36 storeys. We just launched our Phase 2 Penthouses and are almost sold out.

I hope the architects design a very slick building. This will be one of the tallest buildings in the city.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
I hope the architects design a very slick building. This will be one of the tallest buildings in the city.
It's slightly different than the original preliminary rendering that's been out there for a couple of years. The new renderings and details will be out soon.

Yes, one of the tallest. In the next ten years, the core will be so drastically different and improved. Looking forward to the other developments in the area as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton