HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 10:48 PM

Last edited by BrianTH; Oct 27, 2017 at 11:00 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 11:14 PM

I was looking around Edmonton's brand new multi-purpose arena - that only opened 13 months ago - on Google Street View and it appears the area surrounding it has already been completely re-developed. Different governmental and economic situations but still, frustrating.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 11:37 PM

Penn Plaza Apartments

LG Reality Advisors scaled back their original plans to a two-phase development , including offices and stores with underground parking instead of a garage. Happy they came to a conclusion but I hope the new design is better than the old one.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Do you think they have any chance of landing Whole Foods again since the dispute is settled?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 12:12 AM

Regarding the Penn Plaza settlement, the most interesting fact is while LG is abandoning building 200 apartments as part of this development (which will be strictly office/retail) it's committing to help build 251 low-income units, and 239 market-rate units within a one mile radius. Hence, we're ultimately getting more housing - even more market rate housing - out of the deal.

The question is of course where the new apartments will end up. LG owns two plots right near the Penn Plaza location - the former Babyland site across the street, and the former Monroe Muffler site catty corner - which could be built up. That would seem to be the cheapest option, considering it does not need to acquire any additional land. Of course, that isn't anywhere near enough land to develop 490 units at feasible density. Maybe the plan for LG to help with part of the "Mellon's Orchard" housing development is back on the table?

Edit: An image of a one-mile radius around the site. Includes all of East Liberty, Garfield, and Friendship, plus chunks of Bloomfield, Shadyside Squirrel Hill North, Larimer, Highland Park, Morningside, and even a sliver of Stanton Heights.

Last edited by eschaton; Oct 28, 2017 at 2:44 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minivan Werner View Post
I was looking around Edmonton's brand new multi-purpose arena - that only opened 13 months ago - on Google Street View and it appears the area surrounding it has already been completely re-developed. Different governmental and economic situations but still, frustrating.
Just for perspective, the Civic Arena came down in early 2012. Over five years later, we still have ZERO development.

Meanwhile, the Pitt-Ohio terminals came down in early 2014. A little over three years later, Oxford is finishing up the first phases of 3 Crossings and is buying the land for more:

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...-property.html

There is really no economic excuse for the complete lack of development in the Lower Hill site. And I have no doubt that if the public had put that land out to bid, private developers like Oxford would have competed for the rights and long ago started building.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally G View Post
LG Reality Advisors scaled back their original plans to a two-phase development , including offices and stores with underground parking instead of a garage. Happy they came to a conclusion but I hope the new design is better than the old one.
The underground parking is a big win for me. I really didn't like how their above-ground garage interacted with the street along Euclid:

I'll reserve judgment otherwise. I liked the overall scale of the original project, but I am OK with a little downscaling in that location if there is a more appropriate street-level treatment. Ideally it would be at least around 4 floors (the old design was 6+ when you added the towers to the base).

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally G View Post
Do you think they have any chance of landing Whole Foods again since the dispute is settled?
One of the articles went into that a little bit without any real answers. Obviously Whole Foods is going through some evolution thanks to the Amazon deal, so it is hard to say. I know the basic logic was their existing East Liberty store was doing really well and could benefit from a lot more space. Whether that is still the case and fits their model going forward, I don't know.

But personally, I am not at all wedded to Whole Foods. I was actually pretty pro-Walmart in that space--no one loves Walmart, but I think a competitor for the Target made a lot of sense.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Regarding the Penn Plaza settlement, the most interesting fact is while LG is abandoning building 200 apartments as part of this development (which will be strictly office/retail) it's committing to help build 251 low-income units, and 239 market-rate units within a one mile radius. Hence, we're ultimately getting more housing - even more market rate housing - out of the deal.
Yeah, that seems like a real win.

I am hoping a lot of it will be pretty close. In fact, in my ideal world it would mostly be jammed into that Baum/Penn/Beatty/Euclid zone across the street. There may be ownership issues with such a plan, but it will be SO ripe for residential.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 12:33 PM
Eurosceptic

How did they come up with that ratio of affordable to market rate units?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 1:10 PM

A busway extension to Monroeville remains one of the best bang-for-the-buck projects we could do:

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/tra...s/201710270186

Meanwhile we're spending far more money on the MFE and Southern Beltway for little real purpose.

By the way, it irks me they headline with the projected cost after inflation in 2026 dollars, rather than current dollars. That is rarely if ever done when it comes to road/bridge projects.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
How did they come up with that ratio of affordable to market rate units?
Just a guess, but it might have been tied in part to the occupied affordable units lost with the demolition of Penn Plaza. I think the official unit count was higher than that, but I recall the number of displaced households was lower.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 3:24 PM

Does anyone know why the Penguins haven't done anything with the Civic Arena site? I know the US Steel decision was a setback, but that was two years ago.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenM View Post
Does anyone know why the Penguins haven't done anything with the Civic Arena site? I know the US Steel decision was a setback, but that was two years ago.
If I were cynical, I'd say it's because the Penguins are reluctant to divert any of their own profits/capital to a project that doesn't directly benefit the owners, or that they enjoy the income from all that parking too much.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 5:07 PM

I noticed these new renderings of the Murray Avenue condo project up on Realtor.

Moderately better than I remember seeing before.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 5:08 PM

I actually like that a lot.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 5:15 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I actually like that a lot.
Agreed... I also like the canyon effect on that stretch of Murray.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Agreed... I also like the canyon effect on that stretch of Murray.
Which will of course be better once the new Action Housing senior highrise is built, plus hopefully the market-rate mixed-use building at the corner of Murray and Forward.

As an aside, I just noticed that the weird triangular parking lot at the corner on the other side of Murray and Forward is now owned by Action Housing as well. Presumably it will be for off-street parking for the senior building, but it would have been better if it were integrated into this condo development. That's an awkward street crossing - I don't even think it's signalized.

Edit: Sample floor plan...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 8:15 PM

I imagine it will look pretty good as you are approaching the tunnel:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4283...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As an aside, I just noticed that the weird triangular parking lot at the corner on the other side of Murray and Forward is now owned by Action Housing as well. Presumably it will be for off-street parking for the senior building, but it would have been better if it were integrated into this condo development. That's an awkward street crossing - I don't even think it's signalized.
That was a parking lot for Poli. So, I assume it came along with the restaurant property across the street.

I almost forgot about the housing project further up the hill on the other side of Murray, as you head toward Greenfield. I remember that being announced on these boards a few years ago but hadn’t heard anything since then.

If I recall correctly, the former movie theater building on Forward Avenue will be demolished for the creation of the new building at that intersection. At least that was the plan for the massive but failed project that was originally announced about six or seven years ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations