HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 8:20 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballister View Post
I was told by a work colleague who was speaking with a Red Development guy that the office portion is being increased to 9 floors tall (3 garage levels on top of 6 office levels) and that the residential portion will be 17 floors. Not sure if that's final, but as of yesterday. FWIW...
I don't recall seeing this before, so going to post it. I found this 360 fly-by rendering that appears to be similar to what you said above. It shows 3 floors of parking above Fry's with 5 floors of office space on top of that. The rest of the images on the website show the same renderings we have seen previously and the video rendering doesn't have a great amount of detail to it, so I don't know how current this actually is.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/218162550

Site:
http://www.omniplan.com/work/case-studies/block-23.html

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 9:33 PM
BANNED

That clearly looks like a height increase for the office/Fry's building compared what was originally proposed. It's gonna look cool...

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 10:44 PM
Skyriser

RED also said they were going to build a new tallest with CityScape's apartment hotel building that would be architecturally interesting, and what we got was a value engineered box. I wouldn't put too much faith into anything that's literally not cemented.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 11:21 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
RED also said they were going to build a new tallest with CityScape's apartment hotel building that would be architecturally interesting, and what we got was a value engineered box. I wouldn't put too much faith into anything that's literally not cemented.
I'm sure the economy blowing up played a lot into that. It probably still would not have been the tallest, but it was definitely over value-engineered because of the collapse. But that was before I moved to Phoenix, so I don't have enough experience here to make that call.

Hopefully, Block 23 is built at least as proposed. I think it looks pretty decent...though I would like to see a 350'+ office tower (still waiting on why a 400' crane app was submitted).

On a side note, I hit the Diamondbacks game at least once per week. After the games, I walk by the Fry's fencing and it seems there is always a group or 2 of people looking at the renderings discussing the development. So, it is attracting interest

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I'm sure the economy blowing up played a lot into that.
I was here during that time. Given how incredibly bad the local economy was at that time I'm pretty impressed with the outcome.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I don't recall seeing this before, so going to post it. I found this 360 fly-by rendering that appears to be similar to what you said above. It shows 3 floors of parking above Fry's with 5 floors of office space on top of that. The rest of the images on the website show the same renderings we have seen previously and the video rendering doesn't have a great amount of detail to it, so I don't know how current this actually is.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/218162550

Site:
http://www.omniplan.com/work/case-studies/block-23.html
Nice I like that fly through, Hopefully we are getting the larger office building.

I wish the project was taller but I settle for the density.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 11:06 PM

Cones

So I drove by Block 23 today and noticed a bunch of orange cones, is this a sign of construction starting soon? Besides that, not a whole lot of work going on here. Who has some info on this? How are you going to have a ceremony to begin construction in April and now we are going into August and no real work being done. There was more work done before the ceremony,lol. Hopefully the cones mean something, but also went by that new apartment complex by the Biltmore, they are Street Lights Residential as well so hopefully that is a good sign being the company for the residential side of Block 23

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 11:12 PM

Lots of work has been done, it's just not the obvious type to passer by. It's a complicated project.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 11:56 PM
Modulator

Again, there is a LOT of preliminary work that needs to be completed. Almost all of our projects on average from the first sign of activity, took anywhere from 6 months to 1 year to start any real construction after the first piece of dirt was moved (Luhrs Marriot and Circles took nearly 2 years after moving dirt to see any activity).

Backlogs for city/state approval, bidding, design modifications, lawsuits, unforeseen archeological digs...etc can put project timelines behind.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 1:59 AM

I do hate how projects don't give realistic completion dates. 2019????? I'd be surprised if it's done by 2021. Hoping for the best though. I bet the Central Park East Condos get started before Block 23. They don't mess around over there,lol. They already have hearing signs for the condos. By the way, anyone know if those condos are to buy or rent?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Lots of work has been done, it's just not the obvious type to passer by. It's a complicated project.
Nothing has been done since then ceremony. I work in Colliers Center and there has been zero activity on site for a few months. Although today was the first day in months that there was actually vehicles on site there were 2 trucks. So hopefully it's a sign of future activity.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 2:54 AM

Exactly LocoPhoenician, hopefully the Orange cones everywhere means something,lol. They have a lot of work to do, with the parking under and everything. They had parking under Patriots square too and they managed to keep that parking garage the same as I remembered it before. It would make sense to keep the parking but idk what they plan on doing with it especially since they are going to have a lot of above ground parking.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 3:03 AM

Just because you aren't seeing people on the site doesn't mean work isn't being done. There's a lot more to building things than physical labor.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 4:04 PM
High Voltage

LoL I remember when everyone was worried about Cityscape taking so long to get moving.. It took 6-10 months after the groundbreaking ceremony to see real signs of construction activity.

Heck..I even know of a new Fry's shopping center that broke ground earlier this year out in Buckeye that has yet to see the first wall go up. Preliminary work has been going on for months... and I can't even imagine that it's nearly as complicated as Block 23.

With that said, I'll be celebrating with everyone else when we see the crane go up.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoPhoenician View Post
Nothing has been done since then ceremony. I work in Colliers Center and there has been zero activity on site for a few months. Although today was the first day in months that there was actually vehicles on site there were 2 trucks. So hopefully it's a sign of future activity.
I think you vastly underestimating the amount of logistical pre work needs to be done before the first ounce of dirt begins to move.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 9:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I think you vastly underestimating the amount of logistical pre work needs to be done before the first ounce of dirt begins to move.
Agreed. It's one of Phoenix's original town sites with significant archaeological importance (que the to hell with the past crowd) and not to mention the underground garage. They should take the proper time excavating the land. Plus, the office portion has nearly doubled in height since first proposed, so that could be a good thing...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
Agreed. It's one of Phoenix's original town sites with significant archaeological importance (que the to hell with the past crowd) and not to mention the underground garage. They should take the proper time excavating the land. Plus, the office portion has nearly doubled in height since first proposed, so that could be a good thing...
I have no shame in being impatient for my most hated vacant lot to become the best new development Downtown

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
You are commenting like there is an active archeological dig going on. Hell that finished up months ago it's just a fenced off dead site since the groundbreaking.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoPhoenician View Post
You are commenting like there is an active archeological dig going on. Hell that finished up months ago it's just a fenced off dead site since the groundbreaking.
I don't think you are listening to what other posters are telling you.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 1:01 AM

Reading is easy but comprehension and willingness to accept are tough for some.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest