HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 6:03 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Or if someone is crazy enough to flamboyantly crash through the gratuitous barriers, and see how fast they can make it through to the other side, that would be something to watch.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastK View Post
One person can easily lift one of those barriers. A friend and I tried! We thought the same thing. Just wait till gate night.
Noise barriers scattered all over the highway!

Why did they use a P3 partnership on CPT again?
Obviously private sector greed is going to affect the quality of the roadway.

*sigh*

Only 3 more days till opening...
I personally can't wait for the sh*t-shows that are gonna be Lag/CPT and Henderson/CPT.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 3:29 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Wonder how well the second rate job they did on the extension will hold up, the first section (Henderson to Main) done properly and paved with concrete is still pretty good 21 years in. Will the asphalt on the extension last 5 years? 10? or will they be replacing the whole thing with concrete in 10 years?
Maybe the asphalt isn't a bad idea. It may last OK structurally with the amount of base they put in, time will tell I suppose. We've all seen it deform on the surface, forming tracks where the truck's tires go. I wonder if the thicker layer will stop this?

The nice thing about asphalt is it is far easier to repair than concrete. I remember seeing a device somewhere (either in the US or out west) that was an asphalt grinder, asphalt plant and mat layer all in one train. It dug a layer of the road up, remelted the material and added bitumen and re-layed the asphalt.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 7:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by original View Post
Noise barriers scattered all over the highway!

Why did they use a P3 partnership on CPT again?
Obviously private sector greed is going to affect the quality of the roadway.

*sigh*

Only 3 more days till opening...
I personally can't wait for the sh*t-shows that are gonna be Lag/CPT and Henderson/CPT.
Lag/CPT will be insane, how about Gateway/CPT, I predict they will start the process of adding lanes to Gateway next spring. Traffic will back up from the CPT to Springfield from 7-9:30 AM, 11:30-1:30 PM and from 3-7 PM every weekday.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 8:46 AM

I'm going to drive in that area when it opens just to see what you guys mean

I don't live there, so I have no idea what traffic is like or what routes are like

Should be fun

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 8:47 AM

double post

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Lag/CPT will be insane, how about Gateway/CPT, I predict they will start the process of adding lanes to Gateway next spring. Traffic will back up from the CPT to Springfield from 7-9:30 AM, 11:30-1:30 PM and from 3-7 PM every weekday.
Or they will convert both streets into one ways and use Gateway as the north bound and Ralegh as the south bound of a divided road. Keeping up with the low cost tradition of the Chief Peguis...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastK View Post
Or they will convert both streets into one ways and use Gateway as the north bound and Ralegh as the south bound of a divided road. Keeping up with the low cost tradition of the Chief Peguis...
I remember reading some PDF a while back about using Ralegh and Gateway as one ways. It was said that it would never happen due to awkward turns across the huge middle boulevard and potential pedestrian accidents.

It really makes no sense for them to keep both roads operational since the rail road tracks are gone... But I guess that's another poor decision.

Quote:
And yes, Gatway/CPT is another disaster, I forgot to mention that.

Hey city planners, a diamond interchange would solve this... there is more than enough room and dirt for a proper overpass. But instead... pedestrians got an overpass *shakes head*

I actually went over the Rothesay flyover last night on my way home. There was a rent-a-cop on it, but it looked like he was asleep and let me pass thru.

It actually looks pretty well done. Its really nicely lit up at night.
Also, I like that we don't have to have those ugly anti-suicide fence enclosures over the sidewalk like they they do in the US.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 5:53 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by original View Post
Also, I like that we don't have to have those ugly anti-suicide fence enclosures over the sidewalk like they they do in the US.
Wait until someone drops a brick on a car.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Wait until someone drops a brick on a car.
Considering that someone decided to play "peg the passing car with rocks" with my car a few weeks back, I would be willing to be there are some 'bored youth' out there that would find this the perfect activity for a Friday evening.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 8:17 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

A few years back I was on an off ramp headed into the town of Fairmont, MN off I-90 for a drag race. I noticed a group of kids up on the overpass at that time. Later in the weekend the local news reported a woman was killed by a rock tossed off that same overpass at night.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 8:34 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
A few years back I was on an off ramp headed into the town of Fairmont, MN off I-90 for a drag race. I noticed a group of kids up on the overpass at that time. Later in the weekend the local news reported a woman was killed by a rock tossed off that same overpass at night.
Similar thing happened in Calgary a few years ago.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Reminds me of a funny story from when I was a kid. For some reason some guys decided to throw eggs at cars. One of the eggs went right through the opening of the window and hit the lady in the side of the head. The egg broke and the lady thought she was hit with a rock and her brains were gushing out... as soon as the cops got there we ran.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 1:52 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Reminds me of a funny story from when I was a kid. For some reason some guys decided to throw eggs at cars. One of the eggs went right through the opening of the window and hit the lady in the side of the head. The egg broke and the lady thought she was hit with a rock and her brains were gushing out... as soon as the cops got there we ran.
It's not exactly funny. It may have been at the time, but that could have been a hell of a lot worse.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 2:26 PM
What could go wrong?

CP opens tomorrow at 12:00 pm. The Rothesay overpass is open today.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 5:17 PM
BANNED

Good news for those of us in NE Winnipeg.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 7:40 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Gonna check out the Rothesay flyover after school, just to see how it is.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 9:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Gonna check out the Rothesay flyover after school, just to see how it is.
Icy! You would have thought they would remove most of the ice before they opened it.

Last edited by rrskylar; Dec 1, 2011 at 9:51 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
It's not exactly funny. It may have been at the time, but that could have been a hell of a lot worse.
Not even a little funny.

Anyway, are there any concrete plans to extend Chief PEguis west to connect to McPhillips?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post

this isn't the right forum to "boast" about these things. Sorry for the imminent member flaming 1ajs/mods, but this is a retarded post...especially if you're following up posts about how people have died because of sheer acts of stupidity like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Anyway, are there any concrete plans to extend Chief PEguis west to connect to McPhillips?
There are plans, drawn up plans, but I am not sure how active and immediate these plans are.

CP trail is supposed to go to McPhillips and even further west to CentrePort area.

Biff probably knows best if there are any immediate plans

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan