HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 10:53 AM

i agree w/ jr's post above. if one goes back and looks at the photos of the people looking out over the city, one can see the void where one beale will eventually be constructed. the alleged 450' # is as low as one beale needs to be constructed, if the observation tower is to really make a real impact on the sightseers. even w/ that, the infill that has been on the table for the last 7 to 8 years---directly across from the blue cross-blue shield building at danny thomas---creates another noticeable void in that area on the left side of the city, as you begin the slow rise up adams and morris and some of those other streets, where the streets split, right below where the george's bar and night club used to be. maybe that street is morton and the other is court street, as it comes toward the danny thomas blvd, coming west.

as i have vetched about on previous occasions, the upper end of court, madison, etc. would have held the eye up, due to the building that was the randolph, 18-20 stories, but she is now gone, gone, gone. perhaps someone could build a cell phone tower or television tower into that area. at least it might have some red lights up and down the structure, and one would not be looking at the darkness, which is another one of my complaints. that area is usually so very dark. another possible solution would be to haul that apparent miniature nuclear plant, known as the super dopplar radar, and watch lightening strikes or how big the balls are every time it rains. wish they would build both the vue and the trinity highrises would be built on that knoll or the vue in that area and the trinity on the the corner of dany thomas and poplar. btw, is the 300 room hilton going to be built, or does anyone know? too, has the fbi building been determined in where it's location will be? any word on the work projections on the two jefferson buildings and parking garage. one last question or statement; however, one would care to add an answer or contribute some discussion. memphis seems as if it has a different attitude about various issues, most of those attitudes seem to be healthy, not that they may necessarily agree w/ me or others i have heard give an opinion or answer, but just the willingness to engage in giving an opinion about what hould be done on a particular subject. i have also heard several make statements about memphis, big shelby, and the metropolitan area. the general consensus is about the growth in the city, the county, and the metro. w/o too much involvement or personal input, the talk seems strongly positive regarding growth. to me, this is an encouragement to the community at large, and i am glad to see it happen. as i drove through the university district, i recently noticed the rapid changes, the invigoration brought on by the building/construction, but, again, an attitude. i took the opportunity to ask approximately 30 students or young workers (they weren't in school, but spouse, roommate, girlfriend/boyfriend, etc.) contributed the feelings and their upcoming plans. several were remaining in school, they were not all in u of m, 4 were going home to work for the summer, but would be returning in the fall. several were continuing in or entering graduate school in memphis. 3 were entering professional school in memphis in the fall---ut. 2 were going to others schools. i asked most of the group if they thought u of m should begin an enrollment campaign to increase the enrollment of around 25,000 additional students. all of the students thought that would be a great idea for the school, the student, and the community. one last question centered around the statements that memphis hadn't done much to increase it's size over the year. most of the students didn't know the politics behind this idea; however, they thought the university, as it was the largest city in the state, by far, should have a top university, in both size and in degree offerings, and research.

Last edited by kingchef; May 7, 2015 at 12:19 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 9:56 AM

The way this sounds, you may see activity at the site this summer.

Commercial Appeal:
Quote:
Developers of One Beale will ask a zoning board June 11 to clear the way for a skyline-changing plan to put up hotel and apartment towers overlooking Riverside Drive.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 9:17 PM

Don't know if anyone has been by recently, but the Chisca is definitely making some progress! New renderings and a video out today from Choose901: http://choose901.com/now-leasing-new...led-of-chisca/

Now if we could just do something with the Sterick.

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Birchett View Post
Don't know if anyone has been by recently, but the Chisca is definitely making some progress! New renderings and a video out today from Choose901: http://choose901.com/now-leasing-new...led-of-chisca/

Now if we could just do something with the Sterick.
I think that the Sterick building is the best highrise in Memphis. I think it needs to be repainted it's original colors (white and green) and that it needs to be transformed into an actual attraction like a skyscraper mall (like Chicago's Water Tower Place). I would really love to see the Sterick up and running. I have a Facebook page titled "Save the Sterick building" if anyone has some ideas.

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 7:16 PM

This a ramble post so let's get that established.

On the trolleys, downtown should stay faux historic. Other lines like down Madison should be like those posted.

Bass Pro looks nice, still think they should have putt a handful of themed rides in it. Will see it in June.

I'm all for parking decks as long they blend in with designed facades and preferably liner buildings.

Read the article in the MDN about how Beale St. Landing is already outgrowing it's dock space with the coming boom in river cruises. We now know that Viking wants ships that carry 300 each and how they intend on docking two at a time here. They use long narrow ships so the floating dock space needs lengthened. What a pleasent problem to have for once. The whole state of river cruising seems bright. After I read that, I searched for more info again.

Memphis based American Steamboat has the 450 passenger American Queen. That boat was about all that was figured into designing BSL. No word on if they plan on another boat.

American Cruises out of Nawlins had the Queen of the Mississippi that holds lots less folks, but they added a similar paddlewheeler called American Eagle this year and will add a third on the river next year.

Interestingly enough is that the Delta Queen left Chattanooga where it's been a floating hotel earlier this year. It's in Houma LA being refurbbed and evidently headed back to the Mississippi.

Viking says 6 boats in three years starting in 2017 with options for 6 more. Yowzer, that's a boom in capacity. A 30% discount on the American Queen this year means 2,000 per passenger. That's a good rate. American Cruise say they have a high repeat ridership. They are also not shy about saying they are upping their marketing of extended stays after the cruise in New Orleans and Memphis. That's good news for Downtown hotels and even the airport as most of these are one way trips.

All that got me to thinking why not Disney Cruise Lines putting a boat on the Mississippi. I immediately think Steamboat Willy and Walt's love of Twain and Tom and Huck. All of the stuff above is geared to folks without kids and this would cater to families with kids, a first in this burgeoning industry. I think it's a perfect fit for Disney's Americana leanings. They are consistently highly ranked. I envision the largest ship on the river with upwards of 6 to 700 passengers. Forget paddles in the rear, go for a side paddle look. I found an old passenger boat from the Great Lakes that would be my template for a ship. Here is the SS Seeandbee

She was full of mahogany, a ballroom, clubs, and a dining room. She held 1500 passengers but was only 50' longer than American Queen. She drafted 15 compared to American Queens 8'7. She was about 20 ft. Narrower so a new boat would be wider in helping bring that draft up for the river. She'd carry half or less than the original with the scaled to size eminities found on Disney's Ocean Ships. She'd have shorter and less smoke stacks but she's my template for sure. I just see her in Disney's black gold and white

I can eve see them creating a private landing for a recreation area like Castaway Cay but themed to Tom and Huck.

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 1:23 AM

Developers planning $34M Hotel Overton demo/construction
Michelle Corbet - Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
Artesano Hotel Group also managed the development of The Pearl in Rosemary Beach, Florida, which became the No. 1 ranked hotel in Florida and rated one of the best new hotels in the world during its first year of operations.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...l-overton.html

MBJ

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 4:33 AM

Downtown's tallest building joins National Register of Historic Places

Quote:
“We are elated that 100 N. Main has finally received the recognition it deserves through its addition to the National Register of Historic Places,” said David Schuermann, principal of Architecture Inc. “We look forward to making modern updates to the building while preserving and caring for the distinct attributes that make it the wonderful building it is today.”
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...-register.html

photo: ALAN HOWELL | MBJ

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 8:23 PM

Not directly development related, but I think it is worth noting here that the MBJ is reporting that Gene Carlisle of Carlisle Corp. has passed away. As many of you know, the Carlisle Corp. is deeply involved in many development projects in the city, especially Downtown, where they are the driving force behind the One Beale project. May he rest in peace.

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...-has-died.html

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 3:33 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Developers planning $34M Hotel Overton demo/construction

MBJ
This should a lot for Overton Square; like the final piece of the redevelopment (even though it won't and shouldn't be). The commercial aspect should do well. The only major issue that I have is the driveway out front. That's somewhat tacky, but I guess there's not really a precedent for non street fronting automobile access there so it doesn't do too much damage.

Someone remind me what (if there is one) the proposal for the surface parking lot north of the Hattiloo.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 10:25 AM

i certainly hope the finished renderings of the chisca will appear as they are on the forum post , of late. i really like the juxtaposition of the red brick w/ the white structure. it just all works in this rendering, and every one living in that area should look forward, and keep a close eye on the development heads. the french fort area proposals are also very nice. i love the color of the various buildings, and i would love to see the harahan or farahan or both washed in a copper solution. mix all of that w/ the trees and the south bluff mix of color, ht, and different forms, along w/ the warehouse areas will provide the passengers on the various cruise ships a pretty visual feast. it would be nice to build a fairly lofty observation tower, one that could give much longer river views, views across south memphis to the airport and the southern sections of downtown, midtown, and north to the pyramid and past president's island. not that it would happen or be entertained, but b'ham has the vulcan, a beautiful statue, which sits atop of an observation tower. of course, it rests on top of red mountain and looks over the valley, and is on an ideal spot in the city---i actually think it is the highest point in b'ham. shades mountain road may actually be a land point that is higher, but still, the vulcan is very nice. one thing, even though i know elvis has done a great deal for memphis, i wouldn't want to float by one day and see a 350 ft observation tower w/ elvis as a topper.

the city needs to realy work on the infill from crump to midtown to jefferson and other places. freed-hardeman university just finished a nice free standing bell tower, somewhat classical in design. it contains a large clock, but i don't know if individuals are allowed to climb to the cupula. the tower imitates the tower building, which is known as the old main building. union university has also built a beautiful clock tower, which is a point representing the entrance to the west side of the campus. there new construction is somewhat georgian. at present, a dome, which is huge and looks a great deal similar to the vatican. i saw it friday, and thought how wonderful it would be to put a photo on this forum. so far, they have gold paint on about a third of it. it is very impressive.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 9:14 PM

http://www.memphisflyer.com/NewsBlog...nned-for-pinch

New Hotel Planned for Pinch

POSTED BY TOBY SELLS ON WED, JUN 3, 2015 AT 3:03 PM

Proposed site plan for a new, four-story hotel on Front Street. - FRONT STREET GROUP LLC
Front Street Group LLC
Proposed site plan for a new, four-story hotel on Front Street.

The starting pistol has been fired on the race to redevelop The Pinch District.

A Memphis company wants to build a four-story, 108-room hotel on Front Street between Jackson and Overton, just across the street from Bass Pro Shops at the Pyramid. Front Street Group LLC issued a zoning request to the Land Use Control Board for an extended-stay hotel.

The hotel will not be hourly rate, the request says. Room prices will range from $189 to $225 per night or $1,100 to $1,300 per week.

The planned site for the hotel is now zoned for mixed use, meaning a mix of retail, office, and residential space. The company is trying to get the land zoned for use as a hotel. The lot is now a surface parking lot.

The plan for the hotel, which was not named in the documents, shows it will be built right up the edge of Front Street with a split-level parking garage built in back. The brick building will “resemble the brick of the Redbirds stadium” and the “awnings will reflect similar designs on Front Street,” according to the request.

“To the contrary of damaging any significant historic, natural, or scenic feature, we hope the hotel will encourage visitors to enjoy and value the historic Pinch District as well as the nearby Mississippi River and its parks,” the document said.

The request for the hotel will be heard on Thursday, July 11 at 10 a.m. at Memphis City Hall.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 9:43 PM

Huge news!!!! Let the redevelopment begin!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 4:38 PM

Redeveloped Central Station could become a South Main nexus
Memphis Daily News

Quote:
Now Willis and partner Henry Turley hope to spearhead the roughly $55 million effort to transform Central Station into a dynamic facility that includes apartments, a hotel, movie theater and significant public transit and pedestrian improvements. But the Central Station project, impressive by itself, is part of a much larger transformation of the southern end of Downtown, or South End, that started years ago with projects like the Adler Hotel Annex and Turley’s Riverbluff, a 37-apartment co-op.
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...he-connection/

photo (Memphis News/Andrew J. Breig)

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 5:13 PM

Memphis Pyramid brings Bass Pro Shops, new lodging to booming city
Larry Olmsted, Special for USA TODAY

Quote:
More than 35,000 customers came for opening day on April 29, the best debut in the chain's history, with more than 500,000 in the first 27 days. "We are very optimistic about the future," says Morris.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...hops/28477061/

(Photo: Bass Pro Shops)

(Photo: Bass Pro Shops)

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 4:08 AM

A new picture of One Beale.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 4:09 AM

Will it be a new tallest ?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post

I'm seeing several floors over 30 on the north tower.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Yes, its current application states 450 ft. which is 20 ft taller than the communications/signage box on 100 N. Main and 10 ft. taller than the flag spire on Clark Tower in East Memphis.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 1:43 PM

Woot!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 5:51 PM

it is a bit confusing concerning the photos, which have appeared in various form. i really like the twin tower proposal which shows a north tower and a south tower, both in what i would describe as black or dark blue glass. about 1/3 up the north tower there appears to be a design that shows the building which ballons out, somewhat. this particular photo was my favorite. the first one i saw i didn't care for at all. the ones shown in the most recent post seems a bit bland in style, design, and color. nonetheless, to my know ledge, a final rendering has yet to be chosen, is that not right? i was really
surprised at the reduction in ht. i thought it would make it to a roof ht. of it least 500+ lower numbers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations