HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Aug 16, 2004, 10:34 PM
i ain't no bubba

ATL:Atlantic Station updates

There is a lot of info (as well as some great pics) out there, but it's spread out over several threads. This post is an effort to coordinate that info. Post your updates NOW!

http://www.atlanticstation.com/infocenter/default.asp

http://www.atlanticstation.com/RELAUNCH/LIVE/live.htm

These were taken in The Commons area about 1 week ago.

Who decided that this design will be what almost every new apartment community intown will look like?

The District. Mostly commercial/retail with some horrendous townhouses

Old Posted Aug 16, 2004, 10:49 PM

Nice pictures.

It is sad that all the new apartment projects seem to have the same design.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2004, 11:36 PM

Some BUTT UGLY condos there in the first part of the pictorial.... a FARRRRRRRRR cry from the lavish brick condos they would always show in the pre-build illustrations. Atlantic Station IMO has already failed as an urban project. This would look more at home at Ashford-Dunwoody & 285.

What a pathetic result after such a long and laborous build up.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2004, 3:07 PM
Chris Creech

Yeah, that developer (who also did Cityscape - YIKES) has delivered some major disappointments. What's with all the fake stucco styrofoam? Is the idea to make surburbanites feel welcome by letting them live in the same crap they could live in out in the burbs. It feels like a Cobb county apartment complex, not an urban city development.

I for one am getting really tired of all the "fake" design where they just tack on odd roof shapes and just scramble up the fascade with some brick stuck here, some color there, with no real sense of design.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2004, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech
Yeah, that developer (who also did Cityscape - YIKES) has delivered some major disappointments. What's with all the fake stucco styrofoam? Is the idea to make surburbanites feel welcome by letting them live in the same crap they could live in out in the burbs. It feels like a Cobb county apartment complex, not an urban city development.

I for one am getting really tired of all the "fake" design where they just tack on odd roof shapes and just scramble up the fascade with some brick stuck here, some color there, with no real sense of design.
Well, as a resident, you should pressure your council person to outlway EIFS (fake stucco) in the City. Of course, do recognize that this will virtually kill any affordable multi-family housing in the city.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Aug 17, 2004, 8:32 PM

Turn the whole project into public housing. In a few years, that's what it'll look like anyway.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2004, 2:11 AM
Chris Creech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus
Well, as a resident, you should pressure your council person to outlway EIFS (fake stucco) in the City. Of course, do recognize that this will virtually kill any affordable multi-family housing in the city.
I understand that it's cheaper in the short run, but the life expectancy is much shorter and it just doesn't hold up. I just have this horrible feeling that in 10-20 years everybody's going to be looking at this nasty crumbling EIFS construction and saying things like "god, how dated! that is soooo turn of the century. What were they thinking???"

These people could be facing some serious condo assessments down the road to maintain and refurbish this stuff.

I'd much rather see quality construction up front, and builders building housing that will be there for generations or even centuries, not the throw away stuff -- even if it's more expensive. The housing will become "affordable" as the building ages and newer "hotter" buildings become available. Then you still come out on top in the long run with lower maintenance costs and a building that maintains it's looks and desirability.

Unfortunately, there's just very little old high-rise housing stock in Atlanta, the number of older condo conversions from buildings in the 60s-90s, you can count on one hand. (Like the Peachtree, the Landmark, Peachtree North, etc.).

But give it 15-20 years many of the towers we are so excited about today, Metropolis, Museum Tower, Spire, will become relatively affordable "b" and "c" stock. Outshined by towers we haven't even imagined yet in neighborhoods that have yet to have their moment in the sun.

I imagine that Atlanta will finally be a mature urban housing market when one day there's a couple having a conversation like this (circa 2050):

"Well hon we've looked at all those new highrises in downtown around the multi-modal station but you don't even get a view unless you at least above the 40th floor, that big new Marietta Plaza IV in West Midtown is nice, and so are the ones overlookin the new park they built over the connector, especially that tall retro deco tower they built over the Varsity, but they're just so darn expensive."

"Yeah, true, but we just have to look at more affordable housing. Maybe we should look over in the old Midtown Peachtree Corridor, that area has all those older towers. I understand they just saved Metropolis from demolition and named it a historic building. Those older buildings don't have all the new stuff and they're kinda dated now, very turn-of-the-millenium and all. Peachtree Center is kinda quaint now being a historic district. I kinda like the period stuff that John Portman's new clone is building over there."

(Also just a prediction - but in 25 years at least half the existing housing at Atlantic Station will be gone/redeveloped through market forces.)

Old Posted Aug 18, 2004, 2:12 AM

proof of ATL's continuing lack of vision or I should say shared vision. I saw it coming from the missed opportunity bridge to the boring tower- I'm not suprised. I use to really believe in ATL- I even bought a house here 2 years ago- but it seems like 1 disappointment after another

Old Posted Aug 18, 2004, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Creech
I understand that it's cheaper in the short run, but the life expectancy is much shorter and it just doesn't hold up.
I agree, but most people don't look at the long term value of ANYTHING when they buy it because we are such a throw-away society. I bought where I did (123 Luckie) and paid about 50% more than I would have for the same square footage in another building (and was literally spending 60% of my income on housing for a time there - another reason NOT to own a car) because I wanted someplace that would last.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2004, 1:39 PM
100% Right 50% Of Time

Perhaps that's why I bought a century old home in Grant Park - built for the ages. Because even if wanted to tear it down the Grant Park neighborhood association would be on my ass if I even mention the word 'remodel'.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2004, 11:05 PM
Peace and Pizza

I have a friend in the 'burbs who will only buy new houses. An used house, even if it is only a couple of years old, is somehow "icky".

What a strange culture we've become...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2004, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubieTurtle
I have a friend in the 'burbs who will only buy new houses. An used house, even if it is only a couple of years old, is somehow "icky".
That sounds exactly like a friend of mine. My theory is people like that are part of the previously mentioned "throw-away society". They don't do the upkeep needed in maintaining a home; to them, it's a waste of money. They don't mind spending money on the dishwasher that breaks, but they won't spend money to replace carpet that looks worn. To them, they'd rather put the thousands of dollars needed to the down payment on a new house.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2004, 2:59 PM
Go Thrashers

does anybody know when twelve is getting started?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2004, 6:18 PM
BANNED

Atlantic Station looks great. The apartments and homes look nice. This is going to be an Atlanta asset for many years to come.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2004, 11:48 PM

Ok, this afternoon I was taking a walk through Atlantic Station just to see how things were coming along. Construction is certainly well underway for some elements of The District. When, though, will they begin construction of the office building elements on either side of 17th street? If would be an awful eyesore if the retail portion were to open up and there are these huge caverns looking down into the parking deck all the way down 17th street until you get to the park/lake. Will they wait until they have tennants before they start construction or go ahead and build first? Anyone have a clue?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2004, 1:21 AM
Amen...

Well, Twelve should fill up one of the holes, but that still leaves at least two or three more open. I've often wondered this myself, but as I understand it, those towers won't be up before the retail portion is open. I think the openings will be covered with a temporary stucture [canvas/plastic roof perhaps?], but it will make for an interesting logistical job to move in materials and heavy equipment into such a small area when the towers do go up.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2004, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niff
but it will make for an interesting logistical job to move in materials and heavy equipment into such a small area when the towers do go up.
Just like in a REAL city.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2004, 4:19 AM
Amen...

lol, True.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2004, 7:26 PM

I was driving down 17th st today into Midtown and saw that they erected another crane in the district. I think that makes it 4 cranes now.....looks like things are really hopping now. Does anyone know when they are going to begin construction on the Dillards? Isnt that what is going to fill the big open space immediately north of 171 17th street tower?

Also, whatever happened with Jacoby Development's talks with the city about the faux smokestack sign that they wanted to erect? Did the city stop that or are they going to allow an exception to the sign ordinance? If not, is there anything that they can put up to identify the area/development in it's place?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2004, 10:25 PM

There's a block of some really cool designed rowhouse condos on the left side of Moreland Av. heading south between Freedom Pkwy and L5P, with each unit appearing to have a uniquely designed Victorian facade. Prices seemed kinda high though, starting around $350.... Anyone know anything about the developer? They sure beat the hell out of anything I've seen at Atlantic Station.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta