HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Sep 28, 2004, 10:46 PM

They will be located next to Art Foundry. There was a small rendering and location diagram on the back page of the Atlanta Business Chronicle or the AJC Horizon section, can't remember, sorry.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2004, 1:43 AM
Amen...

OK, I bet its that South East portion of the Commons then. On a side note, I went to the Lane web page and saw their Atlantic Station video. I grabed this still image since I thought it featured an interesting shot of a model of Atlantic Station. Note the scale of the planned buildings.

Edit: I guess I should put in a disclaimer that I realize the overall plans have changed multiple times, and the placement of some of the towers seem wrong [although they mostly match up]. However, from the context of the video, this was shot during the condo contruction, which would make the footage only a year or so old.

Last edited by niff; Sep 29, 2004 at 1:54 AM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2004, 1:19 PM

Yes, you are correct, this will be built on the SE section of the commons, next to the future dog park.

Here is a rudimentary outline of the commons to show the placement of the buildings in the Commons area.

--Joey

Old Posted Sep 29, 2004, 10:05 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
It seems IKEA is putting on their trademark blue facade.
Yikes!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2004, 11:11 PM

Alot of Blue....it should counteract all the Home Depot Orange already in Atlanta though.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2004, 11:49 PM

i am really looking forward to the completion of the retail phase. we have a lot to look forward to...

np: matthew good - 11:00 suburbia

Old Posted Sep 30, 2004, 1:08 AM
100% Right 50% Of Time

But there obviously won't be a sea of parking in the front of the building at least, only a little pond.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2004, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
I'd like to see them build a bit taller (not necessarily highrise) and denser.
I agree; DC style midrises would be good.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2004, 5:29 PM

Atlantic Station adds five new retail tenants

The Story
SEPTEMBER 30, 2004
BY JOHN SCHAFFNER

Atlantic Station announced five new retail tenants this week, totaling 42,274 square feet, for The District part of the 138-acre mixed-use community in Midtown. Banana Republic, Jos. A. Bank, DSW shoe retailer, Cingular Wireless and Doc Green’s Gourmet Salads will join the list of retailers at the project...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2004, 6:53 PM

Here is the full article

The Story
SEPTEMBER 30, 2004
BY JOHN SCHAFFNER

Atlantic Station adds five new retail tenants

Atlantic Station announced five new retail tenants this week, totaling 42,274 square feet, for The District part of the 138-acre mixed-use community in Midtown. Banana Republic, Jos. A. Bank, DSW shoe retailer, Cingular Wireless and Doc Green’s Gourmet Salads will join the list of retailers at the project.

The largest of the five new retailers will be DSW, with a 26,740-square-foot two-story store adjacent to the Publix supermarket going in at the intersection of 18th Street and Atlantic Drive. DSW, which signed a 10-year lease, is one of the country’s largest retailers of brand name women’s and men’s shoes. In addition to offering prices that can be 50 percent less than department store prices, DSW receives shipments of new merchandise weekly to keep abreast of in-season fashions.

The second largest of the new retailers is Banana Republic, which will occupy a single-level corner location at 18th Street and District Avenue, diagonally across from the previously announced Rosa Mexicano restaurant. Banana Republic offers modern, versatile men’s and women’s clothing as well as a home collection, shoes, accessories, personal care products and intimate apparel.

Jos. A. Banks Clothiers, one of the nation’s leading retailers of men’s tailored and casual clothing, sportswear, footwear and accessories, will occupy 4,000 square feet at the corner of 18th Street and Atlantic Drive in the same building as the previously announced Copeland’s Cheesecake Bistro. Jos. A. Bank has 225 stores in 36 states and the District of Columbia, including eight locations in metro Atlanta, and boasts a heritage of nearly 100 years in business.

Doc Green’s Gourmet Salads, a Raving Brands concept developed by Atlantan Martin Sprock, has signed a lease to occupy 2,566 square feet on the corner of Atlantic Drive and West Promenade, along “café row” and next to the previously announced Mama Fu’s restaurant. Doc Green’s is a new fast-casual restaurant concept where customers create their own salads by choosing the combination of lettuce, gourmet toppings and grilled items such as chicken, lamb, steak or salmon. Doc Green’s also serves a wide range of vegetables, soups, casseroles and sandwiches. Doc Green’s also recently announced a new location on Ponce de Leon Avenue.

Atlanta-based Cingular Wireless will have a 1,702 square-foot store on Atlantic Drive adjacent to the Publix supermarket.

Construction of the retail district of Atlantic Station is moving along now at a rapid pace, with a planned opening of much of The District planned next fall.

The new tenants join several others in the retail district of the city-within-a-city, including Dillard’s department store, Regal Theatre, Moe’s Southwest Grill, Claddagh Irish Pub, Mama Fu’s Noodle House, California Pizza Kitchen, Chaplin’s jewelry, Eye Gallery, Metropolitan Deluxe home furnishings, Pubix, Rosa Mexicano, Pier 1 Imports, Bath and Body Works, Victoria’s Secret, Express (for men and women), PJ’s Coffee and Wine Bar, GUESS?, Lucid, American Eagle Outfitters and FOX Sports Grill.

Alto presently under construction on the western end of the development is the IKEA store. IKEA is one of the world’s largest home furnishings retailers.

Atlantic Station is ultimately projected to include 12 million square feet of retail, office, residential and hotel space, along with 11 acres of public parks. It is being co-developed by Jacoby Development Inc. and AIG Global Real Estate Investment Corp. Atlantic Station, the brownfield redevelopment of the former Atlantic Steel site, already is home to more than 100 residents—with hundreds more expected to move in later this year—and 300 daytime employees of SouthTrust bank in the first of the community’s office buildings.

“Atlantic Station is a national model for smart growth and we provide the wardrobe for the smart-dressed man,” said Robert N. Wildrick, president and CEO of Jos. A. Bank. “The community being created in the heart of Midtown Atlanta offers such a variety to its residents and we are thrilled to be a part of this groundbreaking redevelopment.”

Old Posted Oct 1, 2004, 6:55 PM

Element ... Lane announces new condo project at Atlantic Station

The Story
SEPTEMBER 30, 2004
BY JOHN SCHAFFNER

Lane Co. this week announced plans to build its second condo community, named “Element,” at Atlantic Station and about 300 prospective buyers have already signed up to request information and seek appointments, according to the developer.

The new $55 million condo community will include 322 one-, two- and three-bedroom homes, some featuring loft-style mezzanine levels. Many of the units will overlook the swimming pool, parks or lake, with views of the Midtown and downtown Atlanta skylines. The first homes should be ready for occupancy by next summer, with final completion of the project scheduled for the summer of 2006. Prices will start in the high $100,000 range.

The new five-story condo community will have parks, a pool with a sun deck, a business center, Internet café, conference room and fitness center. Residents have the option of joining a professionally managed health and wellness center and spa, which will be located next door.

“We have a fantastic product, an exceptional intown location, and prices that are extremely reasonable, especially for Midtown," Lane COO Bill Donges said. Donges is also president of CondoLane, which will market and sell the new condos. "This project is at the center of a new kind of urban lifestyle," he added.

The new condos will be between the new IKEA store and the retail and entertainment district of Atlantic Station, which are both under construction. When complete, the retail and entertainment area will have a movie theatre, a grocery store, restaurants and shopping. When fully completed, Atlantic Station will feature 12 million square feet of retail, office, residential and hotel space.

Lane Investment & Development Corp. will develop the project, Lane Realty Construction will build it, and CondoLane will market the condos. All are subsidiaries of Atlanta's Lane Co. The Preston Partnership LLC designed the new community.

The condos will be available for presale in the coming weeks. Potential buyers and brokers who want more information or are interested in pre-sale appointments can sign up online at www.elementatlanta.com. After signing up they will receive floor plans, pricing information and more details about how to arrange a sales appointment.

Lane Co. set records last October when it sold $10 million worth of condos at Art Foundry in Atlantic Station in just three hours. The company predicts strong sales for the new community as well.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2004, 7:03 PM

IKEA Update

IKEA Atlanta Continues Progress as Blue Walls Begin To Appear

eBusinessNews
09/30/2004

Atlanta - ATLANTA - IKEA, the world's leading home furnishings retailer, today noted that nearly all framing is complete and now blue composite panels are being installed for its future store opening next Summer in Atlanta on 15 acres in a mixed-use development just off the I-75/85 connector. The 366,000 square-foot IKEA Atlanta will include 1,597 parking spaces below the store. In addition to 500 construction jobs, approximately 400 coworkers will join the IKEA family when the new store opens.

"Now that our structure is formed and our blue paneling is going up, we are proud that we are still on our way to a grand opening next summer," observed Pat Merwin, IKEA real estate manager. "With the roof already going up and now the blue panels, we hope to be fully enclosed, unaffected by the weather by the end of year." IKEA Atlanta will be the first IKEA store in the Southeast, with the closest stores being in Woodbridge, VA outside Washington, DC, or along I-10 in Houston.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2004, 7:16 PM

There is a small picture of Element here.

http://www.the-stories.com/gbase/Exp...oid=oid%3A3946

Old Posted Oct 2, 2004, 3:39 PM

It looks very......default.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2004, 6:32 PM
i ain't no bubba

^I agree. I hope the retail fares better because the residential component of this project has (as I"ve said before) been a disappointment. The only thing that appears as if it will be at all unique is Twelve. Even then, I wonder how well Twelve will stand up to the test of time with the same developer building the similar floorplans over and over again. What trendoid will purchase a resale in Metropolis, Twelve, Spire etc. when there is a newer, slicker building going up just a few blocks away at approx. the same price? All that said, there doesn't really seem to be a problem with this project attracting purchasers/renters, so why should (from the developer's viewpoint) he spend additional money to make it noteworthy?
I'm sure Atlantic Station will be a simply lovely place to live/work/play but, I woulld have liked to see it architecturally break some new ground.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2004, 11:21 PM

Atlanta given Millennium Gate

The National Monuments Foundation will give Atlanta a 72-foot tall monumental gateway, called the Millennium Gate.

The $20 million monument is the largest classical work of art to be built in the United States since the construction of the Jefferson Memorial in Washington D.C., and the second monument to be built in Atlanta by this team, which previously built the Prince of Wales's Monument to the Olympic Games at Pershing Point.

Alexander Stoddard of Scotland, the chief sculptor of the Millennium Gate, will be among the presenters today at noon at the State Capitol.

A museum component designed by Edwin Schlossberg is planned inside the Millennium Gate. It will convey peaceful accomplishment over the last 2,000 years, the ascension of the United States and the resurgence of the city of Atlanta. Designed by way of an international competition opened only to students of architecture, the entries were judged by some of the most notable architects/educators: Robert A.M. Stern, Dean of Architecture at Yale University; Elizabeth Plater Zyberk, Dean of Architecture at University of Miami; Leon Krier of The Prince of Wales's Institute; Michael Dennis of Massachusetts Institute of Technology; and Carroll William Westfall, Dean of Architecture at The University of Notre Dame.

© 2004 American City Business Journals Inc.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2004, 4:24 AM

October 21, 2004 07:00 AM US Eastern Timezone

Tahitian Noni International Announces a Sales Office in Atlanta's New Atlantic Station; Atlantic Station Is Destined to Be the Hottest New Development in Atlanta

PROVO, Utah--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 21, 2004--Tahitian Noni International, developer and exclusive provider of the internationally acclaimed TAHITIAN NONI(R) Juice, recently announced that they had finalized the contract to be part of the new Atlantic Station development being built in Atlanta, Georgia. Current plans call for a beautiful new sales office as well as a new TAHITIAN NONI(TM) Cafe to be built on the site. This will be the first sales office to be built in the eastern United States and will be used as a model for all future sales offices and TAHITIAN NONI Cafes throughout North America.

Atlantic Station is a 138-acre environmental redevelopment and reclamation of the former Atlantic Steel Mill in Midtown Atlanta. Once complete, the new community is projected to include 12 million square feet of retail, office, residential, and hotel space as well as 11 acres of public parks. The development is located just north of Georgia Tech University in the Midtown section of Atlanta, right at the I-75/I-85 split, making it one of the most accessible and visible developments in all of Atlanta.

"Atlantic Station is the perfect location for our new sales office," stated Daniel Hillstrom, Regional Sales Manager for Tahitian Noni International. "We're excited to be a part of this unique development where the mix of office, residential, and retail space will create the most dynamic neighborhood in the Southeast. The combination of our new sales office and TAHITIAN NONI Cafe will be perfect for this exciting new concept."

About TAHITIAN NONI Cafes

The first TAHITIAN NONI Cafe opened last year in Tokyo, Japan. Five more Cafes are underway in Japan, Germany, Utah, Texas, and now Atlanta, Georgia. The Cafes feature a light and healthy menu based on TAHITIAN NONI(R) products.

About the Company

Tahitian Noni International was founded in 1995 by Kerry Asay, Kim Asay, John Wadsworth, Stephen Story, and Kelly Olsen to be the exclusive source of TAHITIAN NONI Juice, a natural healthy beverage, and other TAHITIAN NONI products. For more information, please contact the Public Relations Department at publicrelations@tni.com.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2004, 1:34 PM

Tahitian Noni sounds very cool. I think they need more high-profile retailers like maybe a Virgin Megastore or H&M, maybe a Club Monaco or French Connection. I can't believe there aren't any of those in Atlanta yet.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2004, 1:45 PM

In 10 years, will Atlantic Station be the first brownfield to go greyfield?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2004, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supastar
Tahitian Noni sounds very cool. I think they need more high-profile retailers like maybe a Virgin Megastore or H&M, maybe a Club Monaco or French Connection. I can't believe there aren't any of those in Atlanta yet.

There is a Club Monaco at Lenox Square. Virgin Megastore is the one I'm hoping for.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta