HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ ahh thank you, i thought the same thing, that they really got the lighting right. and it varies too from section to section. yes its very modern, well thought out and executed. i wasn't expecting that to make such an impression as it does. definately bodes well for the rest of the new station. however, it will be interesting to see how the calming experience of it changes again when the retail and hubbub comes online.
Well what did you expect? This is the 21st Century, it isn't the 90s anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237
After finding myself in Jersey City the morning after Halloween, I rode the PATH for the first time and got a chance to walk through the new West Street pavilion and the open passageway...and I take back my comment about it being to bright/sterile. It's spectacular in person. A welcome respite from the typically dirty and run-down subway stations, and the glow is not too fluorescent or sterile, but clean, modern and inviting. If the entire station complex looks anything like this portion, we are in for a real treat, guys.
Glad we're over that little bump! Every aspect of it is totally spectacular! I can't wait to see it all done in person, this station might actually be worth its (bloated) price tag.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 2:18 PM

Looking at the pictures, it does look a bit sterile. I think it's the lack of contrast that really gets me. Obviously the main focus on this area is the lighting and in some pictures it looks good, but others not so much. However, I get that it's not exactly a 'finished product' and probably will look better when the retail and video walls are added.

Though I can't help but think that a little bit of color would make it just a teensy bit less neutral.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Looking at the pictures, it does look a bit sterile. I think it's the lack of contrast that really gets me. Obviously the main focus on this area is the lighting and in some pictures it looks good, but others not so much. However, I get that it's not exactly a 'finished product' and probably will look better when the retail and video walls are added.

Though I can't help but think that a little bit of color would make it just a teensy bit less neutral.
I'm guessing you went and visited it in person too right?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I'm guessing you went and visited it in person too right?
Lol, no though I wish I could. But that's what the internet is for.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 3:46 AM

Question

Does anyone know if the subway stations connecting to this Transit Hub will get renovations/refurbishments or will they be left as they are? I just think if there's going to be an ultramodern transit hub like this the subway stations connecting to it should also be refurbished and modernized, or at least be made cleaner/given new paint jobs. Just wondering.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 3:01 PM

The Cortlandt Street 1 station is brand new since the first was crushed on 9/11. It will open when the transit hub opens, currently trains bypass this stop.

The Cortlandt St R station's southbound platform will open directly to the transit hub, and currently has a temporary wall constructed. It has no access to the street level currently. With the completion of the Dey Street passageway (which links the Transit hub to the Fulton Center) an underpass was opened connecting this platform to the northbound side, and thus the street. The new construction features the MTA's new horizontal frosted glass tile motif. I don't know of any plans to renovate the Northbound platform which retains it's original white tile design. In general, the MTA prefers to leave existing tilework. Full station renovations are rare. You can actually find many stations throughout the system that have mismatching tilework from expansions / renovations which were incomplete. Personally, I like it, it's an often overlooked piece of history.

I don't believe there are any plans to modify the existing World Trade Center E station.

Last edited by drumz0rz; Nov 12, 2013 at 3:13 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
With the completion of the Dey Street passageway (which links the Transit hub to the Fulton Center) an underpass was opened connecting this platform to the northbound side, and thus the street.
If I'm not mistaken, the Dey St. Underpass will connect to the Transit Hub directly, right beneath the connection with the downtown R platform. In total, Westfield WTC will have three connections to the east, I believe. I'm still not sure how the downtown 1 platform will connect to the mall, however...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 2:54 PM

Correct. The Dey St passageway crosses below the R station. Currently, a very small portion of it is open allowing passengers to cross under the tracks from the uptown platform to the downtown platform, which was previously closed as it lies West of Church St and has no street access. There's a white temporary wall blocking off access to the rest of the corridor / transit hub. There is a bank of cameras pointing at the temporary wall, so you can tell there will be turnstiles installed there. There is also an elevator to the uptown platform.

The downtown platform will open directly to the transit hub's main hall if I'm not mistaken.

The 1 Train passes through the middle of the WTC complex, just to the East of the PATH Terminal. I believe there will be multiple direct access points from the Westfield WTC Mall and the 1 train along the platform (allowing easy access from the North (1/2 WTC) and the South (4 WTC)).

I'll see if I can dig up a schematic, I know I've seen one floating around before.

Edit: Found one:

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 8:42 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

So happy to see a full schematic with labels and everything. Even after having the underground described to me, I still wasn't quite getting how it was all connected.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 9:46 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/21/ny...into-view.html

Elevated Park at Trade Center Site Comes Into View
By DAVID W. DUNLAP
Published: November 20, 2013

Quote:
The World Trade Center’s best-kept secret has finally come to light.
It is an elevated park, slightly larger than an acre and 25 feet above Liberty Street, that will command a panoramic view of the National September 11 Memorial when it opens to the public, probably in 2015.

Mr. Brown faced many challenges. This could not be a street-level park, since it was to sit atop a bulkhead with doors tall enough to accommodate large trucks and tourist buses. The park had to complement the memorial without overwhelming it or imitating it.

Its most unusual feature will be a “living wall” along the Liberty Street facade — essentially a vertical landscape, roughly 300 feet long and more than 20 feet high, made of periwinkle, Japanese spurge, winter creeper, sedge and Baltic ivy. (Another example of this kind of planting are the “vertical gardens” of the David Rubenstein Atrium at Lincoln Center.)

Walkways from the pedestrian bridge will meander among islands of plantings to stairways at three corners of the bulkhead. There will also be a fairly straight inclined path down to Greenwich Street, for greater accessibility.

To take advantage of the views, Mr. Brown designed a continuous overlook along much of Liberty Street, as well as a gently curving balcony near the base of the church.

A monumental staircase paralleling Greenwich Street, directly behind the church, is intended to be as inviting as the steps of the Metropolitan Museum on Fifth Avenue — perhaps even more so, since there will be wood benches on the seating tiers. There will also be a small amphitheaterlike elevated space at the opposite end of the park.

About 40 trees and shrubs will be planted: honey locust, stellar pink dogwood, apple serviceberry and two varieties of witch hazel: Arnold Promise and Pallida. Quite deliberately, there will not be swamp white oaks, the trees used on the memorial plaza. Plantings have been chosen to present a variety of colors through the seasons.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 8:15 AM
Gigatall Skyscraper

That hub looks like something straight out of Star Wars.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 7:15 PM

Actually it looks more like a giant alien rib cage.............

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
That hub looks like something straight out of Star Wars.
Heh. I don't see Star Wars. Sorry, man.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 4:43 AM

More Mass Effect or Halo than Star Wars. Very sleek.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
How about Han Solo & Luke Skywalker?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
Yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of Mass Effect when I saw these interiors!

Actually, look at this picture below of the temple on Thessia and you will see some Calatrava elements to it. I very much enjoy these futuristic/ultramodern structures, with sleek and simplistic elements. It's time to start pioneering new and innovative designs and leave the traditional ornate architecture (like in Grand Central) to the last century.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 5:27 PM

^ that just looks like a waste of space to me. Tone it down a bit and then maybe i'll accept it. :|

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
How about Han Solo & Luke Skywalker?
I don't get it.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 12:52 AM

From WTC Progress Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

"Ironworkers have installed 25 steel arches on the East side of the Oculus at the WTC Transportation Hub."

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 6:23 PM

New trees being delivered today!!!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture