HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 2:02 AM

Right, and I'd think that density would count just as much - if not more than - overall height in terms of an urban environment. Isn't this the case in some of the world's most urban cities (London, Paris, and Tokyo are three examples that come to mind)? Aren't four 20 story buildings clustered around each other more representative of urbanity than one 70 story next to three empty parking lots?

Then again, maybe I'm just grasping at straws just because I really want SA to have some 600ft+ towers :p

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 3:09 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
I don't think ANYTHING can survive in downtown San Antonio without streetfront retail.
I think anything that didn't have street level retail, or at least some kind of pedestrian appeal, would look so out of place in downtown. The Sesame Street skit: "One of these things is not like the other things." comes to mind. Some day those parking lots will bite the dust, and when they do, it'll probably be something taller. There's only so much land available for moderate height stuff before they'll eventually have to go higher. And yes, street level attractiveness is a must. Anything less wouldn't be worthy of SA's downtown.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Dear God.... When I lived there in '03 there was nothing but Six Flags in that area. Crazy.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 3:54 AM

I can remember living there in the late 80s/early 90s when you'd pass through Leon Springs, see some nice houses in the Dominion, then nothing but a bunch of gravel pits, then eventually civilization once you came up on DeZavala and Huebner. Back then, you wouldn't even know you were in SA until you saw USAA looming on the horizon, and by then you were already 3 miles inside 1604.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 3:08 PM

New development planned for NW side

http://www.magirealestate.com/press/

Will this ever stop or slow down?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 7:23 PM

That much square footage on 25 acres could make for some pretty substantial midrises.

I hear you, though, Schertz, sooner or later it seems like the NW submarket is going to be in danger of oversaturation, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed at that point DT will start to look more attractive to developers, or at least something inside 410. There's still a ton of open land along 151 inside 410 that has nothing on it. I know it's in the Lackland flightpath, but surely someone could take advatage of the proximity to Port SA and SwRI and put in some mixed-use development. There's also the slow, steady revitalization of the Austin Hwy corridor. A lot has been done there, but there's still several strip centers, junky motels, and used car lots that could be put to better use or at least given a makeover.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 12:11 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

That area is going to look so different in five years.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
That much square footage on 25 acres could make for some pretty substantial mid rises.
Yep.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 12:25 AM

500,000 square feet on 25 acres? So, a couple of five story towers?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 7:37 PM

I'm thinking taller than that when you take into account parking (3,500-4,000 spaces accd. to the article). Also, given the location of this project, I'd expect quite a bit of landscaping, further restricting how much of that 25 acres is actually built up.

Don't get me wrong, this won't be anything earth-shattering, but it will easily be the tallest office building(s) within five miles.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 11:28 AM

How did I miss this? I love these places. This is great news for SA. I'm checking this place out as soon as I can get over there. I have been to their other two stores in SA and I hope this place has just as many awesome Chinese nick nacs.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...l?ana=from_rss

Discount retailer opening third San Antonio store
San Antonio Business Journal

99¢ Only Stores is opening a new store in Southeast San Antonio on Thursday.

The new 16,800-square-foot discount store is located at 1864 South WW White Road on the northeast corner of Rigsby Avenue.

99¢ Only Stores is the nation's oldest one-price retailer. Commerce, Calif.-based 99¢ Only Stores (NYSE: NDN) now operates 262 stores in California, Texas, Arizona and Nevada.

The company sells merchandise such as household items, canned foods, bathroom items, sodas and juices, laundry, bread and candy.

99¢ Only Stores already has locations on West Avenue and Walzem Road.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 8:09 PM

The video better explains everything.

KEY POINTS
  • A local studio/developer is building a large studio complex.
  • They have nabbed their first tenant, Matthew Kutcher and his company. He will be relocating from Hollywood to San Antonio.
  • There will be a completely separate sound stage that will be used solely by film and production students.
  • It will be located on the south side.
  • Specific location is undisclosed.

Quote:
SAN ANTONIO -- It's a story with huge explosions, romantic interludes, exciting car chase scenes and plot twists galore.

If it sounds like the makings of a feature film, that's because it is -- and the production of those films is coming to San Antonio.

SAF Studios is already working on a movie studio on 500 acres in south San Antonio, including places where a tour of shows, lakes, hills and a river could be used, according to Al Frakes, president and CEO of the studio company.

"Because it's a tourist attraction, we'll be hiring a lot of young people," he said. "Construction wise, it's a massive project, so we'll be hiring a lot of construction people."

The studio also is planning on constructing a sound stage for use by film and production students, Frakes said.

With the studio coming to the Alamo City, other related businesses are expected to follow, including one special effects company.

"Our industry is definitely not in Hollywood anymore," said Matthew Kutcher with Spectrum FX. "Hollywood has left Hollywood.

"In LA, everywhere I go to build and blow up something, the path to get there is huge," he said. "The phone calls and all the legislation involved, here it will be much simpler to get things done."

The first movie production is scheduled to begin in August, with groundbreaking of the site slated for June.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 11:32 PM

The Town Center at Alamo Ranch

The 950,000 square foot Alamo Ranch Marketplace is highlighted in blue.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 11:33 PM

The Walkway at Stone Oak

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 2:21 AM

I like the design of this S.O. development ok, but this just illustrates why Tesoro's decision to build its HQ outside 1604 is so frustrating. If they build it in River North instead, then not only does downtown get another 200 footer (maybe taller), but you get more residential mixed-use like this as a result of more people working down there and not wanting to drive 15 minutes for everything. And yeah, I realize that its employees' desire to work close to where they live was part of their rationale for moving further north, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating that downtown is once again getting short-changed.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 12:09 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
I like the design of this S.O. development ok, but this just illustrates why Tesoro's decision to build its HQ outside 1604 is so frustrating. If they build it in River North instead, then not only does downtown get another 200 footer (maybe taller), but you get more residential mixed-use like this as a result of more people working down there and not wanting to drive 15 minutes for everything. And yeah, I realize that its employees' desire to work close to where they live was part of their rationale for moving further north, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating that downtown is once again getting short-changed.
i worked with a guy who just left our company for tesoro. he can see the crane building the new HQ from his backyard. will he walk or bike? nope, he says it is a 15 minute drive in traffic each way. that's life in the suburbs.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 10:36 PM
Closed account

I was driving north on 281 the other day, and I saw two large cranes at 281 and 1604. The taller one must have been at least as tall as the one building The Broadway condo tower at broadway and hildebrand. Anyone know what those cranes are building?

edit: Just realized that's the tesoro HQ.

Last edited by KeepSanAntonioLame; May 23, 2008 at 12:54 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 3:32 AM

Two tower cranes? Or a tower crane and a smaller, wheel-based one?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just answered my own question by going to the SA Projects & Construction page

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 4:20 PM
Closed account

I'm not sure where this should go, but SA's wikipedia page has a HORRIBLE picture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:D...an_Antonio.jpg

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 6:49 PM

I wouldn't call it HORRIBLE....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio