HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 4:03 AM

The Buzzer is hosting a contest for 5 seats at the launch ceremony:

Quote:
Grab a spot at the launch ceremony for the new SeaBus, Wed Dec 16!

The new SeaBus will have an official launch ceremony on Wednesday, Dec 16 at 10 a.m., and I have five spots for the launch to give away!

(The SeaBus won’t be in official service until some time after the launch, and this event will also have 100+ dignitaries in attendance — just so you know!)

To enter, please send an email to thebuzzer@translink.bc.ca by Friday, December 11 at 12 noon with the following info:

make your subject line “SeaBus contest”
include your name and phone number (so I can contact you quickly!)
include the answer to this skill-testing question: 96 + 21 * 13 - 89
Key items to keep in mind:

One entry per person!!!!
If you enter, you have to come to the launch - you can’t give your spot to anyone else.
No entries from employees of TransLink or its family of companies.
The event will start at Waterfront Station on Wednesday, Dec. 16 at 10 a.m., so you must be able to make it there in time.
This draw is only open to those in Canada.
I’ll randomly draw five names from everyone who gets the correct answer and contact you on Friday afternoon. (All entries will be deleted after the draw is over — I won’t keep your personal info for anything.)

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 9:57 PM
Vancouver Moderator

And the winners are... Anyone here?

Quote:
I’ve done the draw and our winners are Jamey, Graydon, Ian, Adrian, and Ben!

You should be getting a PDF invite in your e-mail — make sure it doesn’t end up in your junk folder! I will also give you a call to make sure you’re aware that you have won.

Thanks to everyone who entered — I had 18 people in the final draw!
Via Buzzer

Last edited by deasine; Dec 12, 2009 at 12:05 AM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2009, 9:06 PM

So is Translink still determined to eliminate one of the 3 vessels after the Games? or has that plan been axed with the recent tax hike proposals from the mayors?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 12:10 AM

it might still be so. Not all of that money is going to just help the seabuses... rather it's probably going to be splashed around the whole region (and maybe more in rapidly growing areas).

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 6:08 AM
Site 8 Lives

^Allan, in case you haven't noticed, Lower Lonsdale - which the Seabus services - IS a rapidly growing region.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 9:18 AM

I do acknowledge that it is growing... but don't yell at me... to be honest the plans might still just go ahead if TransLink remains in the funding hole that it is in right now. There might be savings and such being reported elsewhere right now but that would probably vanish by the time the Olympics are over.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 3:33 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
I do acknowledge that it is growing... but don't yell at me...
eh?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 3:40 PM
Site 8 Lives

No yelling intended... but I think it's important to emphasize the fact that Lonsdale is densifying, and consequently deserves a better level of transit from TransLink, including ramped up Seabus and bus service.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
No yelling intended... but I think it's important to emphasize the fact that Lonsdale is densifying, and consequently deserves a better level of transit from TransLink, including ramped up Seabus and bus service.
You definitely didn't yell at him.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 11:44 PM

I won a spot on the inaugural run.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 12:47 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

You won a spot and you didn't post pics?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 12:56 AM

If you have a time machine to fast forward me to December 23rd at 10am, I'll be happy to post photos. lol.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 1:06 AM

Hasn't happened yet - postponed to Wed Dec 23rd.

Please take pics!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 8:36 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I've been watching the new seabus do it's route for the last hour. Unlike it's previous trial runs, it's going straight between the stations and docking as if it were operating.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 8:22 PM
Vancouver Moderator

From my blog post.

Quote:
Thanks to Jhenifer from TransLink, I had the fortunate opportunity today, to experience the new Seabus inauguration and first public service ride. As highlighted in the speeches of many politicians, speakers, and representatives, 2009 has been a very exciting year at TransLink. Within the last few months, many infrastructure projects were complete, including the opening of the Golden Ears Bridge, the successful Canada Line, new SkyTrain vehicles, and now, the arrival of the new Seabus.

As quoted from Ken Hardie, the new seabus will join the fleet of old seabuses, increasing the capacity of the Seabus system to 50%, lowering the frequency of seabuses to 10 minutes. Unfortunately, due to funding issues, TransLink will replace the new seabus with one of the older vessels, maintaining current service levels. However, they plan to build more seabuses in the future, if they have money of course.

I also had the opportunity to ride on the bridge of the new vessels. Saying it was cold was an understatement, but well worth the ride up. The views are nothing short of spectacular. I’m told that there will be a camera placed one of the seabus vessels during the Olympics, giving the official Olympic media the best views from Vancouver.

It was a rocky day on the waters today, but the ride was incredibly smooth on the new seabus. New seats, carpet, and improved lighting definitely makes the ride much more enjoyable. Along with the latest SHARP AQUOS televisions on board, displaying safety and security information (maybe they will find a way to display advertisements, Global News, and TransLink Service News updates in the future), there are also LED displays above every door, indicating which door will open up. Improved maps and service info signs will definitely help tourists find there way in our world-class city.
Big thanks to TransLink, Coast Mountain Bus Company (operator of the Seabus), as well as Jhenifer from Buzzer for letting me experience this wonderful ride.
Via aJournal

I'll upload more photos in a bit

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 8:31 PM

New SeaBus 'Burrard Pacific Breeze' now in service
Three SeaBuses means more frequent service until Olympics are over
Jim Goddard Dec 23, 2009 14:17:05 PM

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130): The new SeaBus is now in service, making its first trip across Burrard Inlet just before 11 a.m. this morning after a ceremony at Waterfront Station. The ship was christened the 'Burrard Pacific Breeze' back in July after it was built in Victoria.

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...now-in-service

the rest of the article mentions how one of the old ones will be taken out of service after the olympics...

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 9:01 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 4:49 AM
Site 8 Lives

Bring your gravel if you're riding the new Seabus. Judging by my journey this morning, a few folks will be upchucking their Starbucks as a result of the bounciness of this vessel.

Also, I don't like the idea of upholstered seats. What is this... their second day of usage? I already see food/coffee stains on the seats.

Give me the Beaver and Otter anyday. Smoother rides, bigger windows, brighter and more utilitarian (and thus, easier to clean). The verdict is still out on the Breeze, but overall I was underwhelmed (and concerned about the wake effect)

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 5:43 AM

nice photos.

It's unfortunate that Translink still plans on retiring one of the older vessels.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 12:43 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
Also, I don't like the idea of upholstered seats. What is this... their second day of usage? I already see food/coffee stains on the seats
My fiancee was part of the survey on seat designs and said that while the ones they ended up choosing were the most comfortable, they'd get ruined in no time and they should stick to the same material as the old ones (which are perfectly comfortable imo).

I guess it's fine to waste money replacing seats constantly but actually improving lackluster service is just too much to ask.

I'll hopefully get to try it this weekend. News of it being less stable is very disappointing, as I always read a paper/internet while I cross.

Do we know how many seats it has compared to the old vessels?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure