HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:20 PM

London as a city never learns any lessons. It's future is not in manufacturing. We are losing jobs by the thousands in manufacturing when the companies are already here so why would a new company want to set up shop here. People whine and complain all day every day that they want more jobs as if the job fairy was going to come and rescue us and give us 10,000 jobs. Not happening. We need to create our own niche. We need to be a creative city that attracts and keeps creative people. This is why I am fully supportive of the performing arts centre. It will improve our city centre and attract people who like arts, which is (believe it or not) big, big business. I often wonder if most Londoners have ever been outside the city and seen what they have to offer.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 1:34 PM

Does anyone have a clue what this is about??

http://london.ctvnews.ca/internation...ment-1.1685442

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 4:30 PM

London gains from the largest export win in Canada’s history

LONDON, Ontario - London is at the epicentre of the largest advanced manufacturing export win in Canadian history. The Honourable Ed Fast, Minister of International Trade, and Danny Deep, Vice President, General Dynamics Land Systems-Canada, announced a 14-year multibillion dollar contract win for armoured vehicles and associated equipment, training and support services.

The armoured vehicles will be designed and manufactured in London making the city the centre of a national supply chain including more than 500 firms and resulting in the creation of more than 3,000 jobs, 40 per cent of which will be in southwestern Ontario.
“This is great news for the region,” said Kapil Lakhotia, Interim General Manager, London Economic Development Corporation. “The defence industry is the type of technology-intensive advanced manufacturing cluster we are trying to nurture in London.”
The contract has been facilitated by the Canadian Commercial Corporation (CCC), the Government of Canada’s international government-to-government contracting organization.

“Using advanced technology, automation, as well as highly skilled workers, General Dynamics Land System Canada (GDLS-C) and other London defence companies are building products that are competitive in the global market,” said Lakhotia. “This new contract strengthens our advanced manufacturing cluster and provides sustainable employment opportunities in the long-term, thanks to the great work of GDLS-C, the Federal Government and our local supply chain.”

London’s growing defence cluster employs more than 12,000 highly skilled workers at over 45 defence related companies in the region. GDLS-C employs over 2,000 workers including 700 engineers at the London facility.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 4:45 PM

So, perhaps a 1000 new jobs for the city itself. Very good news indeed, but again highly deceptive in terms of spin from politicians and their ilk on the announcement. Truppe announced 3000 jobs - of course she didn't mention that some of those 3000 wouldn't even be in Canada.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
So, perhaps a 1000 new jobs for the city itself. Very good news indeed, but again highly deceptive in terms of spin from politicians and their ilk on the announcement. Truppe announced 3000 jobs - of course she didn't mention that some of those 3000 wouldn't even be in Canada.
Certainly good news regardless however the numbers are questionable. They say 40% of the 3000 jobs will be South Western Ontario so that leaves us with 1200 jobs for the region...of which how many of those are specific to London?

Either way good news for London in some capacity we are getting jobs

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 5:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^yeah, some excellent news despite the oh-so predictable political spin.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
Certainly good news regardless however the numbers are questionable. They say 40% of the 3000 jobs will be South Western Ontario so that leaves us with 1200 jobs for the region...of which how many of those are specific to London?

Either way good news for London in some capacity we are getting jobs
While this is very good news, some of the jobs will be located in locales other than London because of spin-off effects and the existence of third-party suppliers that do work on a subcontract basis for GDLS. I'm thinking of companies like the Dorchester-based Armatec and Kongsberg, neither of which are really in London. Kongsberg, if I recall correctly, sits right on London's border.

It's interesting to learn that some of the design work for these new armoured vehicles will be done at GDLS in London, although I don't think it will be major design work. Much of it will likely be oriented toward modifying new-build LAVIII armoured personnel carriers to meet Saudi military specs.

But anyway you slice it, this is actually a fairly massive project.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42
All I know is that since our mayor has been in power, and because of all his changes to the way Windsor is run, we have never been in better shape financially, have never had better infrastructure, have never had so many beautification efforts throughout the city, and have never been in a better to look to the future. All this while going through the worst downturn since the Great Depression, where we were written off as the next Flint Michigan.
So how is this wrong in your eyes? And how is London fairing with tax increases which you feel are needed? It's in the worst condition in its history! Go figure!
And you think it's funny that our mayor decided to defend his record when a politician from London tries to misrepresent the facts to justify their own inability to be efficient and use taxes wisely?
I certainly agree with everything you said and most Windsorites would as well (Francis would be re-elected in a landslide if he wanted to run again). That article was completely flawed. The thing is that Londoners don't know the story about how he has completely turned Windsor around starting with the culture of how the city is run. He's a self-proclaimed control freak but that was exactly what Windsor needed when he took over 11 years ago. With every decision he makes he has the full support of all city councilors...it's just remarkable when you think about it. If someone like Fontana was running Windsor during the downturn of 2009 it would be totally screwed right now.

For me living in London while still following Windsor politics I've been able to see the huge differences between the two city councils - London's is a complete mess with zero direction, constant bickering, and seemingly no defined plan.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I certainly agree with everything you said and most Windsorites would as well (Francis would be re-elected in a landslide if he wanted to run again). That article was completely flawed. The thing is that Londoners don't know the story about how he has completely turned Windsor around starting with the culture of how the city is run. He's a self-proclaimed control freak but that was exactly what Windsor needed when he took over 11 years ago. With every decision he makes he has the full support of all city councilors...it's just remarkable when you think about it. If someone like Fontana was running Windsor during the downturn of 2009 it would be totally screwed right now.

For me living in London while still following Windsor politics I've been able to see the huge differences between the two city councils - London's is a complete mess with zero direction, constant bickering, and seemingly no defined plan.
I was in Windsor a few weeks ago and noticed that there is a lot of new and important construction going on, like a new and very nice looking building for the University of Windsor's Faculty of Engineering, which is located very close to the downtown core. It was also interesting to see that the city has started on constructing the below-grade freeway that will take traffic from the new bridge after it has been built, and the scale of construction for that part of the bridge project alone is fairly massive.

Windsor's downtown is also looking cleaner and nicer than it used to.

The way things seem to be progressing in Windsor, the city appears to be poised to take maximal advantage if and when the next wave of large-scale economic growth happens.

By comparison, London seems permanently stuck in the doldrums. The GDLS announcement is big, but it doesn't mean that much for London, since it's only getting one third of the total number of jobs - and I suspect that no net new jobs will be created, but existing ones at GDLS will be preserved.

I've lived in London for well over twenty years now, and the lack of real action from city council I've seen in that time suggests that it not only lacks real imagination, but it's utterly hide-bound too, and paralyzed by a multitude of special interest groups that don't seem to care if London moves forward, so long as they get their way.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 10:37 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo26 View Post
I've lived in London for well over twenty years now, and the lack of real action from city council I've seen in that time suggests that it not only lacks real imagination, but it's utterly hide-bound too, and paralyzed by a multitude of special interest groups that don't seem to care if London moves forward, so long as they get their way.
A carbon copy of Hamilton. I think (hope) that's starting to change, but from the early 1980s onward this had defined Hamilton's political leadership. London deserves better too.

I think Burlington may be entering a phase of this. The city is practically built out, and the debate over what it should become is getting into full swing... the mayor is forward-thinking but some on council not so much.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo26 View Post
I think what London has is too many people who are not big picture thinkers. And unfortunately, I think that is what happens when the economy is not doing well. People are more concerned about what they individually want today and tomorrow, not what the community needs 30 years from now. Just look at all the people that have championed the proposed big box developments near Wellington and the 401. These people just desperately want more jobs in London, no matter the cost and no matter how many jobs are lost in other parts of the city.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 12:59 PM
User Registered

Well, what do ya know? It actually opened:

http://www.lfpress.com/2014/05/19/fr...ndon-operation

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 7:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

It isn't delivery; its disgustio.

I hate frozen pizza.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 12:47 AM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

I hate frozen pizza.
The only half-decent one in my mind is from M&Ms.

After 1 day of operations, the Dr. Oetker plant already has plans to expand.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 6:10 AM

I hate frozen pizza too but it's still good news for London. Equally importantly is that the effect for the area will be quite pronounced as the food supplying it will be local. In auto and other industries today often they are more like assembly lines than anything else as the suppliers could come from Mexico or China but that is not the case in food production.

The spinoff jobs from this operation will be very local so it's economic imprint will be disproportionately large when considering it only has 77 full time positions.

Apparently one of the fastest growing exports Canada has to South Korea is food exports and with a new free trade agreement this is more good news.

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

I hate frozen pizza.
Dr. Oetker is one of the few frozen pizzas I'll actually eat.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 5:32 PM
Sanity merchant

London's downtown tax base up 61%

For the first time ever, the value of London’s downtown tax base has eclipsed $1-billion – a whopping 61 % increase over the past decade..

Some of the credit, a just-released city hall report says, goes to 100-million pumped into city mega projects and incentives to businesses that are paying off into new investment and permanent residents in the once stagnant core.

The 2013 State of the Downtown Report that will be released to city councilors Wednesday says that growth is not as fast as in previous years – a result of the 2008 recession, when, suprisingly, there was no decline in downtown assessment - the tax base increased 4% in 2012 and 2% in 2013.

Highlights of the report include:

over the last 10 years property assessments have increased from $654,434,460 in 2004 to $1,054,692,127 in 2013.

while the growth hasn’t been uniform, the data shows that every downtown street has experienced growth.

vacant storefronts on major downtown pedestrian routes have decreased to 11.5% from 12.1 % between 2011 and 2013.

Downtown London saw more than one million from city, regional and national visitors in 2012 and 2013.

More than 4,000 people are living downtown and has experienced a 74.7 % population growth from 1996 to 2011.

More people are visiting three of the city’s major downtown venues. The Covent Garden Market averaged 25,000 to 30,000 people a week and sales at the end of 2013 were $15.9 million.

Budweiser Gardens had 675,631 people attend 147 events in 2013 – up from 654,207 people in 2012.

The Central Library had more than 900,000 visitors in both 2012 and 2013.

The report notes that Fanshawe College’s Centre for Digital and Performance Arts, with its 400 students and staff is expected to contribute $80-million to the local economy. Other private colleges and Western University’s Continuing Studies are operating in the core.

New residential buildings in and within walking distance of downtown have been approved, a sure sign that more people are gravitating to the downtown.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 5:32 PM
Sanity merchant

Dr. Oetker buying McCain Foods pizza operations

London won't be Dr. Oetker's only North American pizza-making site, after all – the company has signed a deal to buy the pizza operations of New Brunswick-based McCain Foods.

Dr. Oetker, which began producing pizzas at its London plant in May, 2014, acquires pizza plants in Grand Falls, N.B., and Lodi, N.J. in the deal announced Wednesday.

Dr. Oetker chairperson Richard Oetker said in a statement that the deal is a “perfect fit” for the company and strengthens its strategic goal of being the leader in the Canadian pizza market.

“Adding two new production locations to the pizza factory that was opened in London, Ont., in May 2014, means we are ideally positioned to meet the growing demand for Dr. Oetker pizzas in Canada and the United States,” he said.

The London plant makes 77,000 pizzas a day at its east London factory and buys many of its raw materials from Southwestern Ontario producers.

The Eastern Canadian McCain pizza plant employs 247 and the New Jersey plant employs 89, company spokesperson Calla Farn said.

Dr. Oetker is offering employment to all of them.

Financial terms of the deal weren't disclosed. Both companies are privately owned.

The deal covers U.S. brand Ellio’s pizza and includes a two-year licence for the use of the McCain brand in Canada. McCain will continue operating its Pizza pockets in Canada and its pizza businesses outside North America.

McCain foods, founded in 1957, is a global giant in potatoes and fries and also produces pizza, appetizers, oven meals, juice and desserts. It also owns Day & Ross transport.

McCain Foods employs 20,000 people and has an annual revenue worldwide of $7.6 billion.​

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 5:34 PM
Sanity merchant

CAMI Automotive Looking to Hire 120 Additional Workers

After hiring roughly 100 people earlier this month, the help wanted sign has gone up again outside CAMI Automotive in Ingersoll.

Officials with the plant, which currently employs around 3,100 people, have announced plans to hire up to 120 additional workers in the coming weeks.

“They will be part-time people, considered part-time, but they will be working full-time hours — 40 hours a week. Starting pay is about $20.50 an hour, and they should be around for a long time.” said Unifor plant chairperson Mike Van Boekel.

“We just need more people at the plant, it’s that busy.”

CAMI Automotive assembles the popular Chevy Equinox, and GMC Terrain crossover vehicles.

“This is just more great news — not only for the plant, but for the surrounding community. Any time you’re adding more jobs, it’s great news for the people currently working here, plus younger people — or anyone else currently looking for work.” Van Boekel told AM980.

Anyone interested in applying for one of these positions can follow this link.

Earlier this summer, an annual report from J.D. Power and Associates ranked the CAMI plant in Ingersoll second in North America, and fifth in the world.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 3:15 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Great news, on a long suffering front. Things are on the upswing, it would seem.

McCain's pizzas are even lousier than Dr. Oetker's. Throws like a frisbee and tastes like one too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy