Viddler high res version: http://www.viddler.com/explore/Freki/videos/7/

Old Posted Aug 3, 2008, 11:52 PM
Kicking it Viking style..

Final part of my drive yesterday

Video Link

Viddler high res version: http://www.viddler.com/explore/Freki/videos/8/

Old Posted Sep 1, 2008, 7:13 AM

New Copenhagen video from yesterday - I desided to visit the old town by car - not the best idea, but it was a sunday so the traffic was light.

Video Link

Larger High Quality available on YouTube's site: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myrax0PgtKw
( click "watch in high quality" under the player )

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 5:18 AM

Last part from sunday - and probable my favorite
Video Link

Larger High Quality available on YouTube's site: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYiLbwudbdw
( click "watch in high quality" under the player )

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 7:59 PM

Denmark

Hi Freki,

My name is Gabor [real name].
I've watched your Copenhagen thread the other day. All the 7 pages - phewww, a looong photo-journey. I loved it. (I even have a Merian book on the city and I take it from the shelf from time to time.) To be honest I'm very curious about CPH and wanted to travel there for the Midsummer Night Eve. But, since haveing just returned from an unsuccessful trip to Amsterdam, I don't have the money at my disposal. I try to follow the events in your city, that's why I turned to the Copenhague projetcts' thread which is well over 60 pages now. I think it's a great place to live, which is supported by the fact that an American magazine 2 years ago put on its list of most liveable cities on the 2nd post, a year ago the first! So you can be understandably proud of your city! Could you tell me how exactly people celebrate on June 22nd (one day after my birthday...)? How important is this night for the Danes and what does it symbloize for them?
Finally: just a bit eprsonal: far be it from me to be mindlessly flatering or anything, just want to tell that among my all-time favourite countries of the world is, well guess, none other than Denmark!!! Really - the others: Italy, the USA, and a - now intentionally unnamed Asian country. Don't ask which one or why. What I'm saying is the fact that I simply love (even adore a bit to be frank...) your country is deeply personal, the reason for this goes back to the darkest, DARKEST possibly imaginable..., chapter of history. OK, enough of this, I'm already talking too much nonsense perhaps. Just wanted to tell that I am looking forward to visiting your country/city in two years time, or next year at the earliest! Pa gynsen! (Sorry for the non-correct spelling!)
I'm looking forward to more pics from the city! (In fact I also heard a lot that Amsterdam and Kobenhavn have much in common. And also the view that perhaps the architecture and the houses there - Amsterdam - are sometimes more beautiful than in CPH, to which I retorted that there are much, much more open space in Cph and the overall feeling is perhaps better. And while there may be lots of beautiful houses and buildings in A'dam, what I found out to my shock how utterly 'closed' the city is - without big squares, open spaces which I very much appreciate and A'dam lacking etc. I decided to call it ironically the world capital of claustrophobia... ) Later perhaps we can have a dialogue, some sorts who knows?
For the time being,

Regards and the Best,

Gabor

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaborFrankl View Post
Hi Freki,

My name is Gabor [real name].
I've watched your Copenhagen thread the other day. All the 7 pages - phewww, a looong photo-journey. I loved it. (I even have a Merian book on the city and I take it from the shelf from time to time.) To be honest I'm very curious about CPH and wanted to travel there for the Midsummer Night Eve. But, since haveing just returned from an unsuccessful trip to Amsterdam, I don't have the money at my disposal. I try to follow the events in your city, that's why I turned to the Copenhague projetcts' thread which is well over 60 pages now. I think it's a great place to live, which is supported by the fact that an American magazine 2 years ago put on its list of most liveable cities on the 2nd post, a year ago the first!
So you can be understandably proud of your city!
Hi there and thanks - I'm glad you like the city and nation and as is probable very clear so do I

Quote:
Could you tell me how exactly people celebrate on June 22nd (one day after my birthday...)? How important is this night for the Danes and what does it symbloize for them?
June 22nd is just another day to us..

What you might be thinking about is June 23 where we celebrate 'Sankt Hans' that is the Danish Midsummer celebration symbolized by burning a witch at the stake, singing and drinking heavily

The day doesn't mean much to people anymore but used to be a celebration of the light's return ( pretty much the opposit to Yule we celebrate at Midwinter )

Somehow the tradition of witchburnings got mixed in with the tradition of having a large fire and now there's usually a witch on each stake and the highlight is when the fire consumes here ( of course real people haven't been burned here for centuries )

The legend then goes that the burned witches returns to Bloksberg in Germany and leave us alone

The christians tried to highjack it ( like every other holiday ) but luckily failed.. so now it's usually a happy social gathering where you meat people from your area and drink a little beer or wine with them..

Quote:
Finally: just a bit eprsonal: far be it from me to be mindlessly flatering or anything, just want to tell that among my all-time favourite countries of the world is, well guess, none other than Denmark!!! Really - the others: Italy, the USA, and a - now intentionally unnamed Asian country. Don't ask which one or why. What I'm saying is the fact that I simply love (even adore a bit to be frank...) your country is deeply personal, the reason for this goes back to the darkest, DARKEST possibly imaginable..., chapter of history. OK, enough of this, I'm already talking too much nonsense perhaps. Just wanted to tell that I am looking forward to visiting your country/city in two years time, or next year at the earliest! Pa gynsen! (Sorry for the non-correct spelling!)
Thanks and I'm happy to hear that the nation is still capable of making a good impression on people despite the negative attention we get for our cartoons, movies and military actions

Quote:
I'm looking forward to more pics from the city! (In fact I also heard a lot that Amsterdam and Kobenhavn have much in common. And also the view that perhaps the architecture and the houses there - Amsterdam - are sometimes more beautiful than in CPH, to which I retorted that there are much, much more open space in Cph and the overall feeling is perhaps better. And while there may be lots of beautiful houses and buildings in A'dam, what I found out to my shock how utterly 'closed' the city is - without big squares, open spaces which I very much appreciate and A'dam lacking etc. I decided to call it ironically the world capital of claustrophobia... )
I like Amsterdam and certainly don't want to bad-mouth it, but the brown building style you find in the Benelux and southern Britain really doesn't do it for me..

Other than that I guess Amsterdam and Copenhagen have somethings in common like the bikes f.ex, but when I visited I gotta say I was a bit surprised and IMO places like Stockholm, or Oslo share a lot more than Amsterdam..

As for more pics they are certainly comming - I can't make any guareentees but I've planned to at the very least do an update every 2 weeks over the summer and of course keep my "Daily Dose" thread updated with pictures pretty much every day

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 12:35 PM
Closed account

I have not been able to make to Copenhagen yet. The city looks larger than I expected. Thanks for sharing the videos.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe