HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Mira in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 3:22 PM

SAN FRANCISCO | 100 Folsom St. | 400+ FT / 121+ M | 40 floors

100 Folsom St., San Francisco, CA

Architect: Jeanne Gang / Studio Gang Architects
Developer: Tishman Speyer
Use: Residential (250 condos)

"It would be clad in masonry tiles, with stacks of 45-degree-angle bays and balconies" -John King, SF Chronicle

Image © Studio Gang Architects

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 3:39 PM

Thanks for starting this thread! Article says the address is 160 Folsom...can you update thread title and post?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 3:44 PM

I love this, very ghery feeling but its refreshing to see this type of Deconstructivism clad in something instead of aluminum. Very exciting project for san francisco!

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
Thanks for starting this thread! Article says the address is 160 Folsom...can you update thread title and post?
John King from the Chronicle says this is 160 Folsom St. The is actually the address for the little building on the corner of Folsom and Main St. that was the Infinity sales office while it was u/c.
Socketsite says the address is 100 Folsom St., which is the address of the parking lot which this tower will be built upon, on the corner of Folsom and Spear sts.
I tend to trust Socketsite more than the Chronicle (very sad but true!).
160 Folsom St. may be address of the 8 story affordable housing project for this development.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 4:45 PM

I'm all for taller buildings, but I really wonder why they're trying to build 100 feet taller than the lot is zoned for. Asking for height increases is asking for trouble in this town. The city spent the better part of a decade zoning this for 300', presumably to create a staircase effect down towards the waterfront and to limit shadows cast on the Transbay Park planned for Block 3. I just don't understand why developers keep trying to stir up the NIMBY hornet's nest.

Tishman can rightly argue that the Infinity is 400 feet tall right across the street, and the taller height will allow for more affordable units to be built, but those same arguments failed spectacularly for the 8 Washington project. Maybe they're expecting less opposition since this is farther away from Telegraph Hill/North Beach. Keeping the affordable units on site helps their case too. But, even if this somehow manages to sail under the NIMBY radar (unlikely), it still adds a year or two to the project timeline as it needs new approvals from the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors for the height increase.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
John King from the Chronicle says this is 160 Folsom St. The is actually the address for the little building on the corner of Folsom and Main St. that was the Infinity sales office while it was u/c.
Socketsite says the address is 100 Folsom St., which is the address of the parking lot which this tower will be built upon, on the corner of Folsom and Spear sts.
I tend to trust Socketsite more than the Chronicle (very sad but true!).
160 Folsom St. may be address of the 8 story affordable housing project for this development.
Gotcha...thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesweeper View Post
I'm all for taller buildings, but I really wonder why they're trying to build 100 feet taller than the lot is zoned for. Asking for height increases is asking for trouble in this town. The city spent the better part of a decade zoning this for 300', presumably to create a staircase effect down towards the waterfront and to limit shadows cast on the Transbay Park planned for Block 3. I just don't understand why developers keep trying to stir up the NIMBY hornet's nest.

Tishman can rightly argue that the Infinity is 400 feet tall right across the street, and the taller height will allow for more affordable units to be built, but those same arguments failed spectacularly for the 8 Washington project. Maybe they're expecting less opposition since this is farther away from Telegraph Hill/North Beach. Keeping the affordable units on site helps their case too. But, even if this somehow manages to sail under the NIMBY radar (unlikely), it still adds a year or two to the project timeline as it needs new approvals from the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors for the height increase.
Well, they're presenting two designs, so the hope is that they can win people over with the sleeker look and more money for affordable housing with the taller one, but can always fall back to the shorter one if necessary.

100 feet means a lot in terms of making this thing work, and it should be higher than 300 here...kudos to them for pushing for it.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2014, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesweeper View Post

a) this isn't on the waterfront and doesn't fall under jurisdiction of Prop B

b) this is as tall as Infinity next door, an nobody protested that development.

c) 300' is still twice as tall as 8 Washington.

d) can we just be optimistic and happy for a great proposal without giving away our fun and excitement to the anti- development pro- housing shortage crowd?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 12:18 AM

Nice looking building. This will look great in the Transbay area.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 6:28 PM
heavy user of walkability

John King argues for the taller version, and one new rendering

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 7:03 PM
THAT Guy

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 8:57 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Thanks for posting the larger renderings--they better indicate the skin texture. I'm loving it.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 11:00 PM
Chairman

Wow!!! The façade is fabulous. Beauty at its best.

-sb

Last edited by shakman; Jul 13, 2014 at 11:17 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 6:09 PM

The state is now suing San Francisco over the waterfront height limits ballot initiative:

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 11:05 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^Go State!

Keep in mind that Gang stated they haven't settled on the skin material, so what we see here is a placeholder in that regard. Still, I'm very excited about this one. I wouldn't mind seeing some adjustments to the ground floor (seems like the building is resting on an unrelated glass stand) and the roofline (which ends rather abruptly). But that's picking nits given the overall impression it makes.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
They could call it the Vertigo Tower.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 6:12 AM
heavy user of walkability

socketsite blurb today. site plan:

Quote:
...Tishman is aiming to start construction in February 2016 and the construction period is estimated to last 30 months

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 1:34 AM

any news on this one??
IMHO, i think this one is the cream of the crop.
it would be so awesome if it was at least 600 feet and more pronounced on the skyline.

source: me adding height and source: http://commissions.sfplanning.org/cp...CUA-Memo_2.pdf

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 3:36 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyinthecity View Post
any news on this one??
IMHO, i think this one is the cream of the crop.
it would be so awesome if it was at least 600 feet and more pronounced on the skyline.
I doubt that we will even see a 400' tower approved, which is really unfortunate.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 4:16 PM

Edit: didn't read.

Last edited by The North One; Nov 10, 2015 at 1:50 AM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 1:44 AM

This is now Bay Tower.
From SocketSite:
Height Increase for Twisty 400-Foot Tower Officially Under Review

Quote:
A proposed amendment to San Francisco’s Transbay Redevelopment Plan which would raise the height limit for Tishman Speyer’s proposed twisty tower to rise at Folsom and Spear – from 300 to 400 feet – is officially under review and working its way through Planning.

Dubbed ‘Bay Tower,’ the proposed 399-unit development, if built to 400-feet, is slated to be financed by China Vanke, which is Tishman’s equity partner for Lumina as well.

As we first reported last year, Tishman had been aiming to start construction for the Bay Tower development in February of 2016. And according to a plugged-in tipster, the development team is planning to start work as soon as approvals are secured.

But with opposition to a height increase having since organized, the timing for the development of Transbay Block 1 (a.k.a 100/160 Folsom Street) is now up in the air, or rather grounded.

An up-zoning for the site will require the approval of San Francisco’s Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors, the dynamics of which are about to change.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive