HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 9:44 PM

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 11:27 PM

I really hope this one goes through, unlike the last one.

It skirts almost the entire park/beach (unlike virtually any other part of the seawall, but similar to Second Beach), so it is quite a compromise already.

I fully expect to see the crazies grabbing their pitch forks though. "We must protest to save the prized grassy patch between the tennis courts and Arbutus Street!!" ;l

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 11:56 PM
D-Class Suburbanite

I could care less about the grass. It’s just open field with a few trees inbetween. Plus, the bikeway goes on the perimeter of the park, not through it.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 1:01 AM

Cyclists are helping lower emissions and reduce carbon footprint, while green space lovers use vehicles to arrive at the park, but want to preserve the green space from concrete. That is the irony of the situation as both parties hit an impasse. The thing with liberal mindsets when concerning the environment, is that they end of fighting each other...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 3:07 AM
D-Class Suburbanite

Gotta love the NIMBYs.

It’s like an act of Romeo and Juliet when it comes to bike lanes in CoV.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 7:42 PM

So sad to see this deferred! It really seemed to be a great compromise to have the bike path go around the park. It's a shame there won't be a better bike route which would remove some cyclists from the busy pedestrian areas closer to the beach. The impact on park space is so minor! I totally agree with those upset nothing has been done since the first iteration in 2013.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 8:53 PM

This is such a no-brainer - particularly to move the cyclists away from the congested pedestrian area on the beach.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
This is such a no-brainer - particularly to move the cyclists away from the congested pedestrian area on the beach.
I'd hazard that most cyclists will still end up on the pedestrian beach path. It's just my gut feeling though.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
Cyclists are helping lower emissions and reduce carbon footprint, while green space lovers use vehicles to arrive at the park, but want to preserve the green space from concrete. That is the irony of the situation as both parties hit an impasse. The thing with liberal mindsets when concerning the environment, is that they end of fighting each other...
Oh please, the reason that route sees good ridership is because it is a pleasant leisure cycling route. It is not replacing any meaningful amount of commuter trips.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 12:22 AM
ON3P Skis

Some North Shore bike path updates:

The Spirit Trail section between Heywood St and Park & Tilford is all but done, with the major section through the woods down to Kennard Ave now complete.

Photo from CNV's facebook page

Last time I was in the neighbourhood this this section was still dirt/gravel and the sidewalk along 4th street (by Rona) was ripped up for re-paving. Hopefully it's all complete now. I will miss the trail through the woods (was tons of fun on my cross bike) but this is better for 99% of people obviously.

Location and what it used to look like

The City is also moving foward with the last piece of their Green Necklace north of Grand Blvd through Greenwood Park

More info

Presentation Board PDFs

I was previously quite opposed to the Green Necklace, mainly because it paved over the gravel section through Grand Blvd Park. However, since I'm now a new dad and run with a stroller, I've come around. This last section from the top of Grand Blvd to Harry Jerome suffers from a terribly old and narrow sidewalk as well as a steep grade around the corner at 23rd. The detailed plan looks pretty good.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 11:59 PM

The improvements to Smithe St. include the installation of a curb to separate the bike lane on the section between Beatty and Hamilton.
Could just be the west half of each block where there are potential right turn interactions.
The width of the bike lane is narrow (similar to Nelson St.) and oddly, appears to be slightly raised compared to the roadway.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 10:53 PM

The Seymour River is getting a new pedestrian bridge soon

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/pedes...enderings-2018

Quote:
And last week, Metro Vancouver announced that it has issued a multi-bridge tender and awarded a $2,256,614 contract to Surespan Construction Ltd. The company will be building the pedestrian bridge across the Seymour River and the vehicular bridge for Metro Vancouver Operations at Riverside Drive.

According to Metro Vancouver, the project is anticipated to begin soon, and will continue through fall 2018.

The project includes the construction of a new pedestrian bridge near the former Twin Bridge across the Seymour River, the construction of a new single-lane vehicular bridge for Metro Vancouver operations access at Riverside Drive, the replacement of the staircase along Baden-Powell Trail near the north end of Riverside Drive, and trail connection improvements to the new infrastructure.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
How do you know the green space lovers arrived by car? Just a projection on your part to justify plowing a bike lane through green space.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 3:53 PM

I love the new renovations to the Seawall section in Stamps Landing. First run along this section this past weekend. Great! Also, there is a new coffeeshop and bakery there. A viable business there finally? Hope it lasts.

The Kits section is always so congested. Pedestrians, dogs, bikes, runners. Granted, I am not big fan of green space that is just green space. I am not the picnicing sort.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The improvements to Smithe St. include the installation of a curb to separate the bike lane on the section between Beatty and Hamilton.
Could just be the west half of each block where there are potential right turn interactions.
The width of the bike lane is narrow (similar to Nelson St.) and oddly, appears to be slightly raised compared to the roadway.
I spoke to someone from the city about this, as their website was quite vague about 'safety improvements to the bicycle infrastructure.' They weren't heavy on details, but did say they would try to create a raised bike lane.

Grade-separated bike lanes are a more permanent solution and frankly feel safer to ride on. It does seem narrow right now however, so I wonder if they are willing to narrow the sidewalk from its current width to balance the space more evenly between people walking and people on bikes.

Either way, good to see an improvement to those scary 'mixing zones' ! I hope we see the eventual continuation to Burrard Street/beyond.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 7:38 PM

Are they gonna get rid of those wooden box things at the Art Gallery? They really get in the way.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post

Grade-separated bike lanes are a more permanent solution and frankly feel safer to ride on. It does seem narrow right now however, so I wonder if they are willing to narrow the sidewalk from its current width to balance the space more evenly between people walking and people on bikes..
South of Cambie on Smithe there's a bus stop - so the raised bit could be due to that.
But at Hamilton it's also raised.
My thought was that since Smithe is already a hill, the slight bump/raise in the path would be an annoyance for the cyclists.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 4:34 PM

Hey guys, I've been thinking that one of the things this region truly lacks is a pedestrian precinct, a large area that is pedestrian and cyclists only. So I wrote an article about how and where they could be implemented.

Crazy Idea #2: Pedestrian Precincts

Gastown

Robson

Yaletown

Let me know what you think.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 6:19 PM

I love cars and pedestrians together. When it's just pedestrian I find it really boring and dull

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 6:39 PM
Rational urbanist

If I was to create pedestrian zones, that's definitely where I'd put them. It would have to be phased in over a long period of time I think, to avoid the disaster that Granville Mall became for a bit, just to make sure it's feasible. But it would be really cool to be able to walk along these high streets and not pick sides - just wandering back and forth, with lots more opportunity for running into people and stuff like that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure