HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 5:00 PM

Good point. I'm sure it's all laid out in the mounds of legal paperwork, who knows. Either way, like you said even 5M a year over 20 years, that's enough to help a lot of kids each year.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 5:38 PM

That's great news for UOP. Both my father and uncle attended UOP and my grandmother taught business law there in the 1950's.

Just so some knee-jerks don't come down on me...I'm not saying that they are not entitled do anything they wish with their money. Stuff their caskets with cash I don't care. It's amazing how many real-estate developers when they get rich feel the need to social climb by giving to these institutions. Personally if I had that kind of money I'd want to leave a lasting legacy by giving back to the community which helped build my fortune. If education was my thing then I'd start a private college here in Sacramento and not give so much to an already well-endowed university in another town, where I never attended, nor any children of mine will attend. But that's just what I'd do.

Last edited by ozone; May 8, 2007 at 5:59 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 6:19 PM

why do you always sound so bitter? The guy is giving a local university $100M. Why don't you just accept it for what it is? You have no idea what his reasons for donating to UOP are.

But I'll promise you this: I'll never criticize your philanthropic efforts, whatever they may be...

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon12 View Post
why do you always sound so bitter? The guy is giving a local university $100M. Why don't you just accept it for what it is? You have no idea what his reasons for donating to UOP are.

But I'll promise you this: I'll never criticize your philanthropic efforts, whatever they may be...
Because I am bitter brandon. I knew there would be a knee jerk. I don't think you should try to judge my personality from my social commentary on a skyscraper 'chit chat' forum. I accept it for what it is and expressed my opinion on it -be it "philanthropic" or not. Sure it's great for UOP, my niece starts there next fall and in all likehood one of my nephews will benefit from this considering Mr and Mrs Powell's ages. I just see a lot of worthy local institutions that are struggling to make ends and I'm also a little tired of not having cultural amenities supported here in Sacramento. I'm entitled to mine as you are to yours. I personally don't see why so-called 'philanthropic efforts' are above critique. It's not a big deal and doesn't change anything.

Last edited by ozone; May 8, 2007 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 6:55 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
I'm also a little tired of not having cultural amenities supported here in Sacramento.
I have to agree with you here.

When I saw that a Sacramento developer had given $100 million to UOP my heart sank..

I just kept thinking of Robert and Margaret Modavi's gift to build the Modavi Center in Davis or the Gallo family, building the Gallo Center for the Performing Arts for Modesto..

For once a Sacramento developer has a load of cash to hand out, and he and his wife intend to gift the entire $100 million to Stockton.

That's not to criticize the generosity of their gift. In fat what a wonderful thing to do. It's unfortunate that more people don't do the same in the Sacramento area.

But what a missed opportunity for Sacramento..

$100 million would have established quite an endowment for the Arts in Sacramento; or better yet, built a perfroming Arts Center on par with Modavi or Gallo Centers..

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 8:16 PM

I don't begrudge the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for giving so much to Africa wen there is so much the money could buy in the US, because Africa is a worthy cause. UOP is a worthy cause. Sacramento arts are a worthy cause too. To each his own. If everyone did their part, there would be more than enough money to go around.

I know nobody here complained when Spanos (from Stockton) gives money to Sac State. I think we were all very greatful. It goes both ways.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 9:41 PM

But before Spanos donated here he helped UOP build the Spanos Center where the basketball/volleyball team plays and other events are held.

Sure would have been nice to have the Powell Center at Sac State. Would have cost only about $30 - $40 million or so for a nice 8,000 seat venue. * Sigh *

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 11:27 PM

In hindsight I probablly should not have made any comment about Mr and Mrs Powell's generous gift. It's just that since I have a long family history with the university I thought I've give my two cents. I won't even go into the ecomony & psychology of such donations nor am I really opposed to any such gifting. As to equating aid to Africa to aiding a privileged university...nah I'd better stop I'm sure it's all good.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 11:28 PM

In hindsight I probablly should not have made any comment about Mr and Mrs Powell's generous gift. It's just that since I have a long family history with the university I thought I've give my two cents. I won't even go into the ecomony & psychology of such donations nor am I really opposed to any such gifting. As to equating aid to Africa to aiding a privileged university...nah I'd better stop I'm sure it's all good. I don't want to sound too bitter.

Now for some reason I'm repeating myself...geesh. This is boring.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 12:54 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Ok, I had to pipe in because we are talking about 100 F*%$@ING Million dollars!

My knee jerk reaction was nil on first glance. I consider UOP a Sacramento area school.

Perhaps, Mr. and Mrs. Powell knew how difficult it would be to start a new private school in Sacramento.

Maybe it never occured to them, but if it did..........it would be next to impossible to start a new private college in Sacramento because of Nimbys. Where on Gods earth would the people accept a brand new private college in Sacramento? (hmm, maybe Cal Expo)

Remember, this is the city that takes 10 years to build a sidewalk on the Tower Bridge.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Remember, this is the city that takes 10 years to build a sidewalk on the Tower Bridge.
True that BrianSac. I'm just pissed they didn't give the money to uni me.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by econgrad View Post
LOL! Greenmidtown, my band sells out all those clubs you mentioned! He also asked for under 21, which all the clubs you mentioned are over 21. The music scene downtown is isolated, no bands that play downtown get good exposure. The kids (under 18) buy the CD's, and go to the shows, not to just drink beer and sit around like at Blue Lamp and Old I's and Marylins, but to rock out, mosh and watch and support the act. The bands that are getting signed, play in front of more than 200+ people, not a crappy crowd of 80 or less like in all the clubs you mentioned, all play at the Boardwalk and The Underground. This is what I do for a living now, I think I know what I am talking about. You seem to be just another "Gridder" that likes to talk smack about the burbs, when you have probably never ever seen a show out there. Better bands, better crowds, real venues. Guess what, the music scene in DT sac is not that great at all, its kind of a joke to everyone outside of downtown, especially in major cities. Only exception would be concert at the park. I have been playing all these clubs since I was 14 playing at the Cattle Club in my highschool metal band, you have no idea or have a clue of what you are talking about.
wow, you're an expert scientist who knows the truth about global warming, a rock star who knows everything about the music scene, and a graduate in economics I assume . I'll keep this simple. the local scene in Sac isn't anything to write home about but it's definitely more mature than the saturation of high school emo rock stars in Roseville you worship. Sac has a growing indie-music scene with several bands well known in the SF, Portland, Austin circuit. and if I want to see a great indie band from the Bay Area or my hometown of Portland I find them downtown or in Davis. who the hell plays the underground in roseville or club retro (a church) in Orangevale??? give me a break, nobody in the music scene knows or cares about any city in this area but Sacramento and Davis.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 1:55 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSac View Post

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 2:05 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
If everyone did their part, there would be more than enough money to go around.

I know nobody here complained when Spanos (from Stockton) gives money to Sac State. I think we were all very greatful. It goes both ways.
The problem is "everyone" in Sacramento doesn't do "their part" and Sacramento has traditionally had to rely on people like Spanos, (who also has ties to Sacramento).. Philanthropy isn't something that happens on a big scale in Sacramento. Realizing that, I believe that some people (inlcuding myself) are just thinking how that money may have helped estabilshed a sizeable endowment for the arts, or helped to build a perfroming arts center..

Call it day dreaming.......

This is wonderful and gernous gift for UOP.

But (in Sacramento's case) it represents a missed opportunity to give back to the community were they made most of their money....

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 4:25 PM
my posse's on broadway

Maybe I missed it in the article, or maybe I don't understand the way these things work, but I didn't see any mention of where the money would go, or how it would be spent... So I suppose it wouldn't immediately imply that Sacramento couldn't receive some benefit from this endowment, considering UOP operates the McGeorge School of Law in Oak Park.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmidtown View Post
Sac has a growing indie-music scene with several bands well known in the SF, Portland, Austin circuit. and if I want to see a great indie band from the Bay Area or my hometown of Portland I find them downtown or in Davis.
Plus it's kind of a long bike ride from Midtown to Roseville.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 8:16 PM

^ I got the impression that a large portion of it would go to fund scholarships. I bet 100's or 1000's of Sacramento kids will benefit from those scholarships over the next 20 years.

Look, obviously it's a missed opportunity for Sacramento, but that's not Powel's problem or obligation. I suggest to you that nobody in the Sacramento community convinced him that theirs was the most worthy cause.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 9:47 PM
my posse's on broadway

Quote:
^ I got the impression that a large portion of it would go to fund scholarships. I bet 100's or 1000's of Sacramento kids will benefit from those scholarships over the next 20 years.

Look, obviously it's a missed opportunity for Sacramento, but that's not Powel's problem or obligation. I suggest to you that nobody in the Sacramento community convinced him that theirs was the most worthy cause.

I wasn't looking the gift horse in the mouth, i was just sayin that UOP does have a significant Sacramento presence as well. I actually don't think it's a loss for Sacramento - just a gain for this private university. Hell if I had $100 million, i would keep it all for fun, legal fees, and rehab - so i'm not about to criticize these folks.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 9:50 PM

"Hell if I had $100 million, i would keep it all for fun, legal fees, and rehab - so i'm not about to criticize these folks."

Probably one of the funniest things I've ever read. You never cease to amaze me...

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 11:04 PM
NIMBY Hater

Hilarious, TD!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area