HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 5:27 AM

New land use policy for Rupert/Renfrew Stations

The CoV has been churning out plans to densify quite regularly lately. This plan will cover quite a wide area. Looking forward to more details as to height, density, strata vs rental, etc.

More from Kenneth Chan...

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/renf...rain-area-plan

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 5:40 AM

About f'in time! It only took them 20 years.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 6:53 AM

None of this area is appealing to be living in. I also wonder what "industrial use with residential above it" would look like?

One good thing is that this must mean that they will finally paint the extra lanes (3+3) on Grandview Highway between Boundary and Renfrew, which is desperately needed on this core arterial road. Oh, how much congestion just a few buckets of paint could fix...

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
None of this area is appealing to be living in. I also wonder what "industrial use with residential above it" would look like?

One good thing is that this must mean that they will finally paint the extra lanes (3+3) on Grandview Highway between Boundary and Renfrew, which is desperately needed on this core arterial road. Oh, how much congestion just a few buckets of paint could fix...
It's a couple of years since I've been on that stretch of Grandview, but as I remember it (and looking on Google maps seems to confirm) it's already 3 lanes in each direction neat Boundary, except where it's 7 because there's a left turn bay. I think there's some parking allowed in a few parts, outside peak hours, which could be changed, but businesses and residents might be upset.

It's unlikely a development plan would change details like that anyway, the City Engineers could make changes like that at any time if they thought it was necessary.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
It's a couple of years since I've been on that stretch of Grandview, but as I remember it (and looking on Google maps seems to confirm) it's already 3 lanes in each direction neat Boundary, except where it's 7 because there's a left turn bay. I think there's some parking allowed in a few parts, outside peak hours, which could be changed, but businesses and residents might be upset.

It's unlikely a development plan would change details like that anyway, the City Engineers could make changes like that at any time if they thought it was necessary.
It's almost all 2 lanes all the way to Rupert west bound. There's no parking restrictions either (there's restrictions on the other side) so maybe there isn't enough demand yet.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
It's almost all 2 lanes all the way to Rupert west bound. There's no parking restrictions either (there's restrictions on the other side) so maybe there isn't enough demand yet.
Thanks.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 5:05 PM

Quote:

If you take a look at the map, it's a lot more than just the industrial area. Totally agree - it's no Kitsilano, but there's a ripe number of SFH blocks to redevelop which are all well within 800m of each station!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 5:18 PM

There has been significant non-residential development in the area with the offices at Broadway and Renfrew, and around Renfrew station. Commercial development with the new Cdn Tire/etc complex.

Next will be the redevelopment of the BCL distribution centre.

This is long overdue.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 7:48 PM

This is so so much later than it should have come, but a welcome change.

Quote:

Neither was Brentwood when they started building there. You need to have a vision for the future when developing, and see the neighbourhood for what it can be not what it is.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 8:51 PM

I am sure one can make it nicer with more development but there is a noisy SkyTrain, train track and two main arterial roads through the area. It is going to be noisy no matter what they build there.

I have always thought this being a great employment area with the best highway connection in all of CoV but I guess the only business in town is condo development.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 9:12 PM

Quote:
I am sure one can make it nicer with more development but there is a noisy SkyTrain, train track and two main arterial roads through the area. It is going to be noisy no matter what they build there.

I have always thought this being a great employment area with the best highway connection in all of CoV but I guess the only business in town is condo development.
It is an employment area and will continue to be.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 9:16 PM

Quote:
How is that different from Brentwood? Lougheed? Metrotown? Surrey Central? Coquitlam Central? Commercial/Broadway?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 9:19 PM

Quote:

If you read the DailyHive piece, you'll see the two large sites mentioned (the old LDB warehouse, and Skeena Terrace) would be developed with rental, not condos.

The plan will probably consider higher densities for the commercial sites too. Quadreal already have an approval to build a million sq. ft of commercial space between Renfrew and Rupert Stations, across from their initial million sq. ft from a few years ago (Broadway Tech Centre). That's only 3FSR, so could be increased to match the sorts of commercial/industrial densities already being proposed at Marine Drive station, like 396 Marine Driveor 750 Marine Drive without requiring a rezoning.

The highway connection isn't the reason to consider more development - the transit location is what could allow higher densities to work.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 9:29 PM

Not that much different than a lot of other Skytrain sites except for the rail line.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2021, 9:22 AM

There is presently a large hole in the ground at 2710 Kaslo which will become another office building similar to the newish one right next to Renfrew Skytrain station. This area clearly does not need a residential component to make this kind of development viable.

What it does need is a plan, otherwise the ad-hoc spot rezonings will continue. Hopefully we will see more walkable developments like the broadway tech centre at Renfrew, and not the auto oriented retail like the canadian tire / save on foods building on grandview highway.

I'm curious how anyone thinks they are going to grade separate the railway crossings. There's clearly insufficient space for a roadway to go over the rail line and under the skytrain. Perhaps you could pull off an underpass at Renfrew, but Rupert would be much more challenging. A huge tall overpass? That would cut off the skytrain station from Rupert Street.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2021, 5:09 PM

This area was one of the worst examples of simcity zoning in the city, so good to see it might finally be changing.

You have a rare (outside of downtown) concentration of offices, but instead of giving people an opportunity to live nearby and walk to work, the whole area has zoning that makes construction of any new places to live very difficult.

Why force people to drive or take transit to work when so many would rather walk if only given half a chance. As for any idea that people don't want to live in this area, single family homes sell for over 2mn so I guess there must be some demand. Hard to believe any city of Vancouver location with skytrain access and plenty of jobs nearby isn't going to see demand exceeding any potential supply that might ever be brought on line.

The biggest thing this area needs to improve livability is simply more people living there.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2021, 5:28 PM

Single family homes sell for 2M everywhere in Vancouver and it has nothing to do with the appeal of the location or the house on the lot. It's all due to our ridiculous and bankrupting housing market, where even teardowns are worth a few million.

I would also argument that people living net to their job is a pipedream for the most and this is because most people change jobs every few years, so their commute does change regularly. You want to live somewhere central enough so that you have commuting options when your job changes in few years' time.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2021, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottN View Post
I'm curious how anyone thinks they are going to grade separate the railway crossings. There's clearly insufficient space for a roadway to go over the rail line and under the skytrain. Perhaps you could pull off an underpass at Renfrew, but Rupert would be much more challenging. A huge tall overpass? That would cut off the skytrain station from Rupert Street.
Even at Renfrew, Hebb crosses so close to the tracks, I don't know how you could make it work.

I guess where there is a will, and a lot of money, there is a way, but I think even if there was money to spend on grade separations, there are much better options to target first (Holdom overpass, closure of the Douglas road crossing, some of the crossings in Port Coquitlam/Pitt Meadows near the main CP yard, etc.)

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 4:21 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
I would also argument that people living net to their job is a pipedream for the most and this is because most people change jobs every few years, so their commute does change regularly.
Many people also change homes every few years, especially renters.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 9:05 PM

I was wondering when CoV will do something here like the other "gateways" that used to be so flat compared to their counterparts across the municipal boundaries that a mere embarrassment cannot be used to describe the situation.

Of course, with the rising skyline of Brentwood Town Centre across from Boundary Road, this area is already a huge embarrassment. The revised plan will certainly boost the ego of Vancouver by a bit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues